Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  03:56:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed thanks everyone for their birthday wishes (he's had a very full day :} ), and passes on two replies to the scribes perusing this thread:

First, to Drizztsmanchild:

Thank you for the birthday wishes. I don't feel a day over 70. Ahem. No, it's not Elminster's birthday (his actual birthday is - - surprise! - - NDA, but I feel confident that admitting it's not the same day as mine, and leaving MORE than 364 other days in the Realmsian year for it to be, instead, isn't breaking that NDA, quite). Elminster and I are - - thank the gods! - - very different people, not the same guy. I just play him at conventions. As Shatner said (I'm paraphrasing here), "I'm NOT a starship captain, I just play one on TV. So please don't ask me to fix things or tell you about astronomy."

Second, to Jakk:

Markustay is right. The one is Realmsplay history, and the other is what became published Realms canon. Yes, I wrote both.
I have the "home" Realms campaign, but I have also run over twenty short, set-number-of-sessions "library mini-campaigns" down the years, usually centered on a fledgling adventuring company trying to fulfill the conditions of its charter, but some of them have also roleplayed "key moments in Realms history" that THEY (the gamers, all Realms fans and experienced roleplayers) wanted to "be present at." Encounters with Dornal as the Watcher have featured in three of those.
I wrote the published version the way I did to satisfy an editor AND stay as close as possible to what happened in play; you can see how much I succeeded, but you can also see that the published version can be taken to apply to his life before it ended, and his time as Watcher that followed thereafter (after he was raised, obviously) can end up being steered very close to the longer, "play" version I described here at the Keep.
What "happened" in your campaign is, of course, up to you. In both of them Dornal can be still around as the Watcher, if you want him to be.

So saith Ed. Who is happily at work on more Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  06:21:07  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I have more than a few questions that have sprung up in my mind, owing to my listening to Neil Gaiman read his story, "November in The Chair", itself part of a collection of stories titled "Fragile Things" (available on iTunes in audiobook format).

In this story Gaiman brings to life the various months of the year and describes them as people chatting amicably as they gather round a fire to share food and drink. Gaiman's writing mixes snippets of what you'd expect a month to look like by what season of the year it correlates too with humanizing character traits of his own invention. (Hearing Gaiman read the dialogue in character really brings it off.)

In the story, November is in the chair and so must tell a tale to the other months. He chooses to tell a cold and somewhat sad story involving a little boy that runs away and befriends a ghost.

Now suppose for a moment the months of the Faerűnian calendar held similar gatherings that took place in some otherworldly, not quite extraplanar location.

With this thought in mind, how would you describe how each month looked? Would they all be human? Might some of them be elfin, dwarven or another race?

And how might they relate to each other? Would one or more months consider the vast history of events that happened "on their watch" to be a measure of relative importance? Might other months disagree, owing to the idea that the more placid a set of tendays the better for all?

Do you suppose Shieldmeet would hold any particular importance to them? As well Midwinter, Greengrass, The Feast of the Moon, and so on?

Lastly, given that it's July currently, if Flamerule had taken the chair, what sort of story might that month tell?

I realize my inquiry is rather open ended, just as I know you're quite busy. Thus please answer as little or as much as you see fit.

Thank you (both) in advance, as always.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 22 Jul 2009 06:23:04
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  07:23:47  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

It is indeed Ed's 50th

A bit late with wishes (dumb time zones), but still: congrats Ed! Hope you had a good day, and may there be 50 more.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  07:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I'll join gomez both in cursing the time zones, and in wishing Ed a (belated) very happy birthday!
And to add a question, so this won't be off-topic: Which races in the Realms would have a problem with a brother/sister sexual relationship? Are there human cultures who don't care, and allow it? And what do the Seven Sisters think? (I hope this isn't an inflamtory question. If it is, tell me and I'll remove it.)

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 22 Jul 2009 07:54:15
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  08:53:55  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
I'm late, too, but I'll make up for it with a song (people, lock up your cats).

Happy Birthday to You
From the Candlekeep Crew*
You sound like Elminster
Or mayhap he sounds like you

* Disclaimer - No, I don't work at Candlekeep, but poetic license and the need to rhyme make people do... things. My next best alternative was "You live in a zoo". So be glad, be very glad.

Edited by - Thauramarth on 22 Jul 2009 08:56:02
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  09:28:24  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
Late here, too - but a happy birthday nonetheless.

I've got a multi-part question to add to the pile, too. Specifically, regarding the "Name and Song Attunement" of the Chosen of Mystra. As I understand it, they can hear their own names, nicknames and so on anywhere on Toril, as well as the next nine words of the speaker. It can be turned on or off at will. Now, the question itself is: Which Chosen are the most likely to "keep it activated" more often, and vice versa? Even regarding people who don't really know it beyond the names of the Chosen, and possibly not even that (going double for the Seven, since they have the nursery rhyme which is often recited though not fully understood by some), there are a lot of people in Faerun.

Also, have enemies of the Chosen tried using it to attempt to spread disinformation? How widespread is knowledge of the ability? Or is it very little-known, and have enemies unwittingly in the past revealed their plans? Is it an ability that the Chosen prefer to conceal unless they absolutely have to, or will they reveal it to friends, allies and so on, since it can help if a friend or somebody they're watching needs aid desperately and sends a quick SOS message to somebody that they know will hear? Of course, this would also tie in to which Chosen keep the ability switched on more often, since it doesn't help much if you try and send a message but find that the receiver is busy doing something else.

Next, does it function across planar boundaries, or does it only work as long as the user is within the scope of the Weave (on Toril or in Dweomerheart)? What I mean is, can Elminster step out to, say, Sigil, and still hear his name spoken on Toril, or can somebody in Sigil speak his name and expect him to hear them? Or would he have to be in an area where the Weave exists to hear? Or does the essence of Mystra that he carries serve the same role, and communicate it to him "from itself" (so to speak) no matter where he is?

And lastly, is it a particular function of the silver fire, a special attunement to the Weave seperate from their other abilities that Mystra grants (the Seven Sisters, for example, can hear the nursery rhyme, while AFAIK Elminster, Khelben and so on can't, so there appears to be some differences), or something else?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Atomo
Acolyte

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  13:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Atomo's Homepage Send Atomo a Private Message
I usually just lurk in the shadows of this forum, reading the wonderful topics... But now I need show myself to wish a happy birthday to Ed.
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  13:44:12  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
More belated birthday wishes to Ed!

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  15:00:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Okay, the belated Birthday wishes got me thinking about time portals, and of course the one that leads to Yellowstone sprang to mind, which immediately made me think of a question...

The King's Forest in Cormyr is the closest thing to a 'National Park' that I can think of in FR - are there any others?

Aside from Elven forests, of course, are there other nations that set-aside parts of their 'undisturbed wilderness'. Maybe even have 'game preserves' (for endangered species), or perhaps even 'reservations' for aboriginal groups?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  16:13:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Thank your the the birthday wishes for Ed, who is a busy boy right now. All of your queries have been forwarded to him (Wooly, he tells me he thinks his e-mail account is "fixed," and will be reading back to examine certain messages), and I can make a start on answering Eldacar on my own, from Realmsplay experience with Ed as DM: the "hear your name" ability extends only as far as the Weave (so, NOT onto other planes), very few people outside the Chosen know of it or even suspect it (Sammaster of course is the major sort of exception, but I know he was keeping that knowledge secret so he'd have a "leg up" on his rivals), and one of the "listen all the time" Chosen was Khelben. The Simbul and Elminster also listened often, and Dove almost never.
So (and here we pass from certainty to my opinion) it wouldn't have been used to spread msinformation (again, with only Sammaster as a possible exception), and I believe it is a separate Weave attunement thing.
Ed, of course, can be far more certain and specific than I can, so we'll wait and see. And speaking of waiting and seeing, I hope Wizards remembers to post the Spin A Yarn tale on the website. Ed sent it in months ago now, so it would be up in plenty of time for GenCon, but . . .
Unless, of course, I've missed seeing it, and it's faded into view somewhere on the website that I haven't seen. Intrepid scribes, anyone want to have a go at exploring and peering?
Either regarding me or the website . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  16:32:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Thank your the the birthday wishes for Ed, who is a busy boy right now. All of your queries have been forwarded to him (Wooly, he tells me he thinks his e-mail account is "fixed," and will be reading back to examine certain messages), and I can make a start on answering Eldacar on my own, from Realmsplay experience with Ed as DM: the "hear your name" ability extends only as far as the Weave (so, NOT onto other planes), very few people outside the Chosen know of it or even suspect it (Sammaster of course is the major sort of exception, but I know he was keeping that knowledge secret so he'd have a "leg up" on his rivals), and one of the "listen all the time" Chosen was Khelben. The Simbul and Elminster also listened often, and Dove almost never.
So (and here we pass from certainty to my opinion) it wouldn't have been used to spread msinformation (again, with only Sammaster as a possible exception), and I believe it is a separate Weave attunement thing.
Ed, of course, can be far more certain and specific than I can, so we'll wait and see. And speaking of waiting and seeing, I hope Wizards remembers to post the Spin A Yarn tale on the website. Ed sent it in months ago now, so it would be up in plenty of time for GenCon, but . . .
Unless, of course, I've missed seeing it, and it's faded into view somewhere on the website that I haven't seen. Intrepid scribes, anyone want to have a go at exploring and peering?
love to all,
THO

I shall take on the assigned quests of my fair maiden!

I will return as soon as the first is completed!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  16:42:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Exploring you leaves no time for exploring websites. Besides, who'd want to explore a website, given this particular alternative?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  16:43:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
I have returned my fair lady!

But I bring grievous news:

The only thing on the Wizards site about Ed's Spin a Yarn is the announcement of the seminar.

quote:
Wizards Website
Spin a Yarn with Ed Greenwood
Join the creator of the Forgotten Realms setting, Ed Greenwood, for a rollicking group storytelling experience that's always memorable and highly amusing. Fri 2 PM

They do not have the 2008 Spin a Yarn posted on the site (all the previous years are available here, at the bottom of the page).

Now about that second quest...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  16:44:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Exploring you leaves no time for exploring websites. Besides, who'd want to explore a website, given this particular alternative?

Ahh, but if the first leads to the second...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  16:50:31  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

Intrepid scribes, anyone want to have a go at exploring and peering?

Are there people we should poke to get it up?
I doubt it - as the people who control the website are, iirc, quite a different bunch than the people who write the web articles...

Gomez
who would very much like to peer at THO, but is currently also interested in her feedback...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  16:52:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

All of your queries have been forwarded to him (Wooly, he tells me he thinks his e-mail account is "fixed," and will be reading back to examine certain messages)...
My lady, I'm assuming this also includes my recent ethereal mail message to the Ol' Bearded One as well? Or should I re-send it?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  17:00:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The only thing on the Wizards site about Ed's Spin a Yarn is the announcement of the seminar.

quote:
Wizards Website
Join the creator of the Forgotten Realms setting, Ed Greenwood, for a rollicking group storytelling experience that's always memorable and highly amusing. Fri 2 PM

They do not have the 2008 Spin a Yarn posted on the site (all the previous years are available here, at the bottom of the page).

That's the first time I've seen a link to "Never A Warpig Born" since they revamped the site a couple years ago... Either way, I've also got a scroll collecting all the links, appropriately named Spin A Yarn links.

I think since it's that time of year again, that I'll resticky it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Jul 2009 17:02:36
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  17:07:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Wizards Website

That's the first time I've seen a link to "Never A Warpig Born" since they revamped the site a couple years ago... Either way, I've also got a scroll collecting all the links, appropriately named Spin A Yarn links.

I think since it's that time of year again, that I'll resticky it.

Actually, I found that link again about a month ago while I was digging through the WotC archives looking for articles that I might have forgotten to save during my previous delvings.

Still a good read.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  19:09:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. Ed thanks everyone for their birthday wishes (he's had a very full day :} ), and passes on two replies to the scribes perusing this thread:

<snip>

Markustay is right. The one is Realmsplay history, and the other is what became published Realms canon. Yes, I wrote both.
I have the "home" Realms campaign, but I have also run over twenty short, set-number-of-sessions "library mini-campaigns" down the years, usually centered on a fledgling adventuring company trying to fulfill the conditions of its charter, but some of them have also roleplayed "key moments in Realms history" that THEY (the gamers, all Realms fans and experienced roleplayers) wanted to "be present at." Encounters with Dornal as the Watcher have featured in three of those.
I wrote the published version the way I did to satisfy an editor AND stay as close as possible to what happened in play; you can see how much I succeeded, but you can also see that the published version can be taken to apply to his life before it ended, and his time as Watcher that followed thereafter (after he was raised, obviously) can end up being steered very close to the longer, "play" version I described here at the Keep.
What "happened" in your campaign is, of course, up to you. In both of them Dornal can be still around as the Watcher, if you want him to be.

So saith Ed. Who is happily at work on more Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO

Thanks very much for clearing that up, Ed. Markustay's ability to "think Realms" is once again showcased.

My current DM recently did something similar (except involving actual time travel by the PCs) in our campaign. Thanks to a malfunctioning portal in Waterdeep, we (the PCs) were transported in time and space to Cormanthyr at the close of the Weeping War. We found ourselves escorting a group of survivors out of the fallen realm, including a large number of orphaned children, mostly elven and human. One of the PCs, a female half-elven ranger, went by the surname Silverhand, chosen in complete ignorance by the player, who was entirely new to the Realms. Our DM took this and ran with it, having one of the older orphan boys develop a mad crush on said PC. When we finally returned to our own time (quite some time later), at the end of the session we (the players, out of game) were told that Nanara's boy-crush had taken her surname as his own and went on to father a boy named Dornal. The rest, most of us here all know. A brilliant piece of time-travel lore, if I do say so myself.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Jul 2009 19:10:23
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  21:40:39  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
do the grey hands still exist in 4e waterdeep??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  00:56:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'm not entirely all up on 4e Realmslore for Waterdeep, but I do recall a tidbit in Blackstaff Tower that made me think of the Grey Hands. Let me find it.

Edit: Got it! -- pg. 191. A bit about all grey-robes possessing wands that allow them to paralyze or slow their opponents. This rang "Grey Hands" bells in my mind.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Jul 2009 01:04:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  02:42:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Question time Ed. Yes, another from the Sage. And yes, again based on my obsession with Realms music.

Anyways, I was speculating on my blog earlier about this. Then I thought to come directly to you for a little further inspiration.

The main gist of my mental ramblings:-

I'm thinking about FORGOTTEN REALMS "theme music." You know, the kind of repetitive tune that you'd expect to hear throughout the game and that is purposely designed to help gamers and readers of the Realms identify with their favourite campaign world. We've had some previous examples in many of the CRPGs released for the Realms, I know. Some of the tunes from the two Icewind Dale games immediately come to mind. As does the introductory music to the first Neverwinter Nights game.

What I'd actually like to do, is try my own hand at composing something like this. Nothing too extensive. Just a short piece that I think would reflect the central/core elements of the Realms -- and stuff like characters, places, groups, etc. Obviously, those kinds of elements are wide and often diverse enough in tone and attitude that it would make it difficult for me to properly incorporate them all into a "theme song" for the Realms. But the ideas behind some of the themes inherent in the Realms, along with those supporting some characters and places, are basic enough to be related to other similar examples in many fantasy-worlds. And thus, I've got an effective basis to start from. So I want to try and build on that, all the while making sure there's suitable Realms influence. I don't want to make this too much like generic fantasy music after all.

So, Ed, what are your thoughts on this? And what do you think are the crucial themes/elements of the Realms that I should be trying to work into my music?

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Jul 2009 03:05:56
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  07:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One:
The Simbul and Elminster also listened often

Ah, but this raises the question: What did the Simbul listen for? While I am certain 'The Simbul' was said quite a lot, she would be safe in listening for her given name. After all, how many people in the Realms know who Alassra Shentrantra is?
So, to sum it up: When the chosen listen, can they also listen to nicknames, such as 'Blackstaff' and 'The Simbul', or can they only listen to their given names?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  09:37:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
happy be-day ED

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  15:22:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

quote:

Ah, but this raises the question: What did the Simbul listen for? While I am certain 'The Simbul' was said quite a lot, she would be safe in listening for her given name. After all, how many people in the Realms know who Alassra Shentrantra is?
So, to sum it up: When the chosen listen, can they also listen to nicknames, such as 'Blackstaff' and 'The Simbul', or can they only listen to their given names?

Page 10 of The Seven Sisters:

quote:
Chosen can hear the Rune of the Chosen (see the Introduction of this book) and their own names -- nicknames and titles included -- spoken anywhere on Toril.

On a related note, though... So they can hear names and titles that refer to them as a Chosen. But can they hear other names, names by which they might not be known as Chosen? For example, Khelben can hear his name or his title Blackstaff. But if someone speaks of Malek Aldhanek, one of his earlier identities, would he hear it? Would he have heard it when he was Malek? If Elminster chose to spend a day every now and again as Bahb the fighter, would he hear it when someone spoke of Bahb?

Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  16:34:17  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message
A very happy birthday to you Mr. Greenwood! And for what it's worth I want to thank you for writing "Spellfire" all those years ago. It was the very first novel I ever read. It introduced me to the Realms and I have never looked back. My gift to you is my appreciation for the gift you gave to me and many, many others. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  16:46:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Are there people we should poke to get it up?

I am SO surprised that THO didn't jump on that...

<and yes, that was a triple-entendre.>

Now, since my thoughts have already traveled down this dark and glorious path, perhaps we can explore our LHO and pretend she is a website?

I've got my search engines ready....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  17:29:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

quote:

Page 10 of The Seven Sisters:

quote:
Chosen can hear the Rune of the Chosen (see the Introduction of this book) and their own names -- nicknames and titles included -- spoken anywhere on Toril.

On a related note, though... So they can hear names and titles that refer to them as a Chosen. But can they hear other names, names by which they might not be known as Chosen? For example, Khelben can hear his name or his title Blackstaff. But if someone speaks of Malek Aldhanek, one of his earlier identities, would he hear it? Would he have heard it when he was Malek? If Elminster chose to spend a day every now and again as Bahb the fighter, would he hear it when someone spoke of Bahb?

I've speculated previously, that this could indeed be the case. Since it's entirely likely that such alternate names will be referenced somewhere at some point in time -- either through song, story, or just plain Realmsian gossip for the most part.

I think the example of public knowledge regarding 'Rune of the Seven' is appropriate here -- in that, even the most common Realmsian, who has likely never heard of the Seven/Chosen or appreciated the fact that they are actually real and living beings, know this simple and old rhyme.

In other words, your common Realms folk may know of or about such beings of incredible power -- either by name, reputation, or what your grandmother said she once saw. However, these are details almost entirely based on bards tales or rhymes like the 'Rune of the Seven', and they largely form the basis of most of the "public" knowledge regarding both the Seven and the Chosen. Not intimate details, and certainly nothing specific, just rumour, hearsay, and idle speculation in the local tavern on a cold and wintry night.

So while the individual names of the Chosen might change, they're names that are still connected to those touched by Mystra herself.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  04:20:23  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Are there any lich-vampire hybrid creatures in faerun, is there a way for a vampire to gain lich like abilities? Would not the deities dedicated to undeath have created some more evolved creature over the ages?

Also, are the Troll Hills possible to speak on now, you mentioned getting to them few years back.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  06:57:09  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
If I already mentioned her name, I might as well mention this insane idea of mine:
Is it possible that Shentrantra is a condensed version of 'She Not Rant/Rage', an attempt to define The Simbul's personality which went horribly wrong? It may be insane, but that's what I suddenly noticed when I read over her name.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000