Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  01:35:08  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I've got another two song-related questions from The Sword Never Sleeps. Heh.

The first is to do with Chapter 14:- '"I am haunted, truly haunted..." Semoor started to sing a well-known tavern song.'

And the next is from Chapter 17:- '"Black, black temper," he murmured the words of a currently popular ditty, seeking to divert himself.'

What more can you tell me about both songs?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jun 2009 01:36:03
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14144 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  16:25:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

We Knights encountered apothecaries many, many times. Some of us even killed several apothecaries during play (always for very good reasons, of course; tried to poison us, was a known Zhent spy who attacked us, et cetera).
love,
THO

Ah, yes... I had forgotten about the Apothecary in Swords of Eveningstar...

And the story I mentioned earlier also featured a young woman who went to a priest who functioned as an apothecary, but the priest didn't have a certain herb, so she had to travel to the next village (where she encounters the main character).

Thus completely supporting THO's post above (not that there was any need to).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jun 2009 16:26:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  16:46:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Oooh, Markustay, there are two features of mine that need constant support, if you're needing something to do with your hands . . .
Ahem.
Yet I post here now not to TITillate, but to bring Ed of the Greenwood's reply to The Sage in the matter of one of the songs he's asked about (Ed will, of course, answer them all in the fullness of time).
To whit, the "well-known tavern song" of Chapter 14 of THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS.
Here's Ed's reply:

The ballad in question, much sung in unison by melancholy tipplers all over the Western Heartlands and Sword Coast as far south as Calimshan, is:

HAUNTED

I am haunted, truly haunted, by deep need for some more drink
Oh, I am haunted, truly haunted, and given much to think
On ways and days so long gone
When I was a hero bright
A-saving the Realms from dusk to dawn
In many a ferocious fight
And lovers came and lovers went
So many now dead and dust
Sword-brothers all their blood I spent
In many dooms, so avenge I must
And I am haunted, truly haunted, by their faces in my dreams
Yes I am haunted, truly haunted, by their whispers and their screams
The dead they ride you long and hard
They steal all peace and precious sleep
And all my terrors they nightly guard
Through all contentment coldly creep
So I am haunted, truly haunted, by the things I have not done
Haunted, truly haunted, by the battles I致e not yet won
I cannot rest, I cannot laze; O never idle, I
Am doomed to do cold bidding under moon and sun
Seasons chasing seasons until I avenge or striving die
So I am haunted, truly haunted, by deep need for much more drink
I am haunted, truly haunted, too tired to care or think
So pour me more, and sing of hope
That痴 worn by someone else
For I am haunted, truly haunted, and just want to see some joy.

(The composer is anonymous, but was probably a bard of Tethyr, in the 1200s DR)

So saith Ed. Who will dredge up the other songs (lyrics, at least) from his notes as he has time to do so. Not that he intends to neglect other scribes' requests that have languished too long unanswered!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  17:20:31  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Yet I post here now not to TITillate...
Oh, but I so love titillation. Especially if you know where my weakest spot is.
quote:
... but to bring Ed of the Greenwood's reply to The Sage in the matter of one of the songs he's asked about (Ed will, of course, answer them all in the fullness of time).
That's neato Ed. And 'tis much appreciated. It'll be featuring in my campaign this coming weekend, I think. I might even arrange some possible sheet music to go along with it before then.

Good stuff. And thanks again to you both.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  20:02:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
So Ed, it's been mentioned on Paizo's boards that you've developed some NPCs for the Kingslayer adventure. Any comments?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14144 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  00:18:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Oooh, Markustay, there are two features of mine that need constant support, if you're needing something to do with your hands . . .
Ahem.
I'm always willing to lend a hand to a damsel in distress...

Just direct me to their proper placement and my apendages are yours, fair Lady.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jun 2009 00:19:10
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  03:28:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Why, THANK you, Markustay. Such a gentleman . . .
I need one of your hands here, and the other just over here. Now squeeze. Hard.
Don't do this to most females, mind you; it HURTS. I just happen to like this particular pain (yes, you can bite them, too; just don't bite chunks out of them; high school was many years ago for me . . .).
Ahem. Now, where were we?
Oh, yes.
Ashe, Ed says he really can't comment on Kingslayer yet; 'twouldn't be professional. Though notice that "yet."
Ed is still wrapped up in family matters, but is busy with a number of writing projects, about which he'll say more when publishers give him approval to do so.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  06:10:40  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
(yes, you can bite them, too; just don't bite chunks out of them; high school was many years ago for me . . .).

So it was ok to bite off chunks in high school? Me confused.
Of course I may be thinking of the wrong things and taking stuff too literally.

Gomez,
who is not much of a biter, but has a fairly flexible tongue

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  13:34:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
My thanks, lovely Hooded One. It's not the answer I was hoping for, but definitely the one I expected. Ah well, it never hurts to ask.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  15:08:01  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Ed & THO & all who might know stuff I don't. Do you have any lore/history on Myth Glaurach. Is there any truth to the rumour that it is built upon the ruins of Sharlarion??????????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  15:27:48  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message
Thanks THO and Ed!

My friend loved the message! He'll send you a message probably today... But he needs some time to write in english..

It really worth the wait.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  17:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I was wondering if Ed has had a chance to read THE GREAT BEYOND, the recent Paizo book by Todd Stewart (Shemmy on these boards) and what Ed thinks of it?
It seems to me as if it could easily be used with a Realms campaign, with very little tinkering - - but Ed, if YOU were DMing a Realms campaign, would you use it, and what tinkerings, if any, would you do?
If you'd rather not answer this, that's okay. I'm just curious. As usual.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  17:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. I'm thinking there are no questions Ed won't answer, though sometimes those answers may be invocations of the infamous NDA.
I, too, am curious about this.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  19:35:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed just replied to me re. that last question, from Malcolm:

Yes, I have read and very much enjoyed THE GREAT BEYOND. Todd Stewart did a great job, and produced what a completist might call "a great beginning" because it's not long enough. Yet you know and I know that the writer/designer doesn't get to choose the length/wordcount of a book; he could just go into more depth here and there if he wanted to, because the pages to do that just aren't there.
VERY little tinkering is necessary to use THE GREAT BEYOND in the Realms (depending on how much you use or apply the REALMSPACE sourcebook in your campaign). For me, personally, I'd not change my original detailing of the Nine Hells because players in my home campaign have journeyed in it with their characters too much to shift anything now (a substantial "play history" has been built up), nor abandon some of the little wrinkles Jeff Grubb and I worked on, back when the first MANUAL OF THE PLANES was being designed (because, again, certain home campaign maguffins are tied to those wrinkles; no, THO, I'm not going to let slip anything more on this, so give up on trying to purringly persuade me - - or no, don't give up on it, work harder on it, ahem). Most of the planar activity in the home Realms campaign is via gates to parallel Prime Material Planes (other fantasy worlds, and our own Earth), anyway.
So all in all, I really enjoyed the book, and really recommend it. I have a soft spot for planar lore (I really liked BEYOND COUNTLESS DOORWAYS from Malhavoc, too, though it would require far more rejiggering to use it with the Realms), but that also means I've taken a look at lots of versions of "all that lies beyond our world" and done substantial "official at the time" work on the D&D planes (the Hells, Limbo, et al), and have some basis upon which to judge THE GREAT BEYOND against other planar sourcebooks. Great work, Shemmy! Thank you!

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on to-be-published lore of his own, right now. Not to mention wrapping up the Sunburst judging today. Oh, and rummaging for more song lyrics to answer The Sage, too!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  19:42:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
So you have a "fairly flexible tongue," gomez? Good to know!
Let's just say that back in my high school days passion could overwhelm me so much that I didn't mind hard biting . . . until afterwards. Hard to explain those marks to doctors, family, school team athletic coaches, et al - - as anything other than just what they are. "I got mauled by a lunatic from the local asylum, but they pulled him off me"? Well, that might work ONCE. Back then.
Ahem.
Apropos of the Realms, Ed tells me that he's digging into the backlog of scribes' lore questions at last. Or will be, by late tonight.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  20:17:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And, as promised, here's what Ed has to say about another of The Sage's musical queries from THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS:

The "currently popular ditty" we hear a short snatch of in Chapter 17 comes from Sembia, and is thought to have been composed by a local minstrel by the name of Blackaland Helveshield (though there is, inevitably, a dispute over this, in the form of other minstrels and bards claiming authorship).

Here it is (crude rhymes, yes, but songs that becoming popular as singalongs tend to have simply lyrics, and succeed thereby):

DARK TIME

My swordarm it is restless
My anger dark and strong
I stride the floor from door to door
And brood on matters wrong
Sinking into a black, black temper . . .

The shadows they all watch me
I give them warnings grim
Skulking lurkers shift and prowl
Turning from me to him
For I知 dark, dark danger . . .

My love is gone, my love is fled
I知 left here all alone
I draw my blade and heft it
Slicing dreams of flesh and bone
Feeling wet, wet bloodlust . . .

Somewhere folk are happy
Still laughing and trading jests
They have no fear of beasts nor men
Who値l sink blades into their chests
Can稚 wait to kill, kill anyone . . .

No more I値l suffer lass or jack
To stand in my striding way
No more accepting silence
When someone dares me gainsay
I値l raise red, red war . . .

I知 pacing all the morning
I値l be bloodletting all the night
In between I brood and keen
Warming for the fight
I知 building a black, black temper . . .

Come back to me, my lover fair
So I can shake this curse
Of death and so much wanting it
No god has seen me worse
I want your bright, bright love . . .

(repeat first verse, usually "slow, loud, and long")

So saith Ed. Who's off to the library now, to work, he tells me.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  21:35:50  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hi Ed, LHO, and scribes,

I have a question for Ed about our questions to him (how meta!). Based off of earlier anecdotes here, I assume that when Ed writes his novels and game material, he can roughly predict what areas will be pared away by editors for content and formatting purposes (more than he hoped, but less than he feared? )

Does Ed ever set aside realmslore notes that he is fairly certain we at Candlekeep will ask him about, so that they will be readily at hand when The Hooded One comes calling with our questions? Using The Sage's latest question as an example, does Ed keep copies of completed ballads and songs at hand because he knows he'll only need a snippet of it as "flavor lore", but that we will ask for more later?

Or am I giving Ed too much credit about the organized state of his office?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  23:14:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. You are giving Ed WAY too much credit for any organized state of his office. Ed outgrew his office and bookshelf space two houses ago, and despite expanding this current one of his by about half and building himself a large (and crammed) library, things are still mass chaos.
Not because Ed's disorganized, though.
It's because he's, as I've said before, about as busy as the leader of any large country you care to name, or the CEO of a LARGE corporation, but has no staff at all. It's all him, and he has to run a house, hold down a day job, deal with all the daily life stuff we all do (shopping, cooking, laundry), oh, and write books and design games at a pace any three other people just might match. Re. his papers and records: Ed's been working on the Realms for over forty years, and things long ago got boxed, misplaced, rearranged, lost, found, repackaged, and so on.
However, YES, Ed keeps lore-notes (like the songs Sage has been asking about) more or less to hand for his most recent novels for each publisher. Just not the previous 160-some books, that's all. :}
For one thing, Wizards staffers, designers, and fellow Realms authors ask about stuff all the time for other projects, and Ed likes to be able to help them in a timely manner, not months or years later.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Jun 2009 23:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  23:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
If I'm prying too much, please just say so, but I am curious: if I somehow (I wish!) ever got to visit Ed and see his office, are there any "cool" sights?
Suits of armor, trophies, model snakes or stuffed dragons or some such? Or is it all books, books, and more books? (Oops: and, of course, games, games, and more games.)
Thanks in advance. Again, quite all right if Ed doesn't want to say.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  23:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
BA's question spurs me to ask a somewhat related one: if I somehow magically dropped by Ed's house some night when he had leisure time(if that ever happens!) and he has family or friends over who aren't gamers, and they want to play a game (not FRP, but a board game or card game of some sort), what does Ed most often drag out? Or is likely to suggest?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  23:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
I'm guessing the best time to see sights in Ed's office is when THO is visiting him, and perches in it somewhere. :}
Ahem.
Dearest Lady THO and Long-Suffering Ed,
I have yet another Cormyr question (sorry, but I just love the place, and play for us rarely goes anywhere else). My question is this: how many Cormyrean noble families have gates/portals hidden on their estates, either of their own deivising or inherited or that they don't even know about?
(I will scream - - but understand - - if you answer something like: "Lots.")
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  23:55:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Okay:

Lots.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  23:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Awwww! Lady, tease me not!!!
Oh. Wait.
Teasing is what you DO, isn't it?

Sigh.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2009 :  00:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Thank you very much, Milady! It was nice to see Maglor mentioned in 'Swords of Eveningstar', but I wonder if the Knights ever met (and killed?) his son, Maethlin?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2009 :  01:09:46  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

. . . And, as promised, here's what Ed has to say about another of The Sage's musical queries from THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS:
Fantastic! [Uttered with the same emphasis as the voice-over from the 60's Fantastic Four cartoon]

This is the Realmslore that I truly love. It illustrates the vast foundation of lore that serves as the established basis for everything that Ed writes in and about the Realms. I can't wait to drop this into the next tavern-jaunt my players attempt.

Thank you Ed. And to you as well my lovely Lady.

Oh, and before I forget, my Lady, any chance Ed has a date for when that ditty was first written/heard?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000