Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  15:47:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Was the transformation singled out to Eilistraee worshippers? I thought that also transformed other 'good' drow as well...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  16:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Well, the RPGA might cleave to "no exceptions" just to keep the lid on what some gamers will try to do with their characters, but I would also hold to the "there are always exceptions" view.
In the Time of Troubles we had "all" assassins wiped out at one stroke, remember? Except for all the assassins who somehow became exceptions (quite a few of them, as I recall, if you read the backgrounds of some published AND RPGA characters carefully - - meaning mid- to high-level assassins who'd begun being so before the Godswar and still were at some later point, with no mention of them ceasing to be assassins in the middle, so to speak).
Of course, some will certainly disagree, but that's my two cents. We have clear examples in canon of exceptions (not all of them of the "let's change class writeup" sort, as some did for Artemis), so therefore there ARE exceptions.
However, gomez, I really think you've got another problem here. It's whether the RPGA higher-ups will accept the character, not Ed. (I believe Ed is still a Regional Director with the power to write certs, because he's never been officially dismissed/demoted - a subject of some amusement at certian GenCon seminars, whereat Ed and others wrote "duelling certs" that canceled and augmented each other - and I know he is a Charter Lifetime RPGA Member - - but of course there are no certs any more and Ed may or may not have any contact with the current RPGA admins.)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  17:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Yeah, that is a sticky situation, BB. As there's yet another factor to throw into it: what Ed says about the Realms is canon/official until contradicted in print.
I know a lot of the younger WotC designers like to ignore that one, but it's part of the original Realms agreement, so if they deny it, they're in effect denying that they have any control over the Realms at all. And the RPGA is a part of Wizards.
So while gomez on a practical level needs clearance/buy-in from the RPGA brass and not Ed, the RPGA brass ultimately can't ignore Ed. Except of course that they may pretend they can.
Urkh. My head's beginning to hurt. Now I know how a Realms designer feels, I guess.
So, Ed, a query for you: how much is all of this moot, in your mind, because you (unlike the monotheists who seem to dominate game design and the ranks of Wizards staff) "see" a Realms where most individuals worship almost ALL of their race's gods, in varying degrees?
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  17:06:48  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
Reading the recent Realmslore reply re. Halaster, plus my own recent dabblings into Cthulhu FRP gaming, lead me to ask: has Ed ever done much in the home Realms with mad gods, or not-really-dead gods who are sleeping or bound or whatever (but will "awaken and return" if their cultist worshippers find the right stone or chant the right chant or sacrifice the right maiden/monster/coconut)?
And if so, how much would mortals know or believe that a god was crazy? Is this sort of thing almost daily propaganda (Banites insist Mystra's crazed, Chauntea's priests tell their faithful Tempus is nuts, and so on), or is it "off limits" for 'proper' priests to even suggest, for anyone ("Beyond the pale, old boy; simply NOT done")?
Thank you in advance (and I don't mind waiting . . .)
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  17:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hi Ed.
So QADIRA by our own Brian Cortijo is now out, and I'm impatiently waiting for my copy to arrive. Have you seen it? Do you like it? Would you use it in the Realms, as a DM?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  17:19:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Well, Malcolm, as it happens, I can answer you with Ed's words without ever sending your question to him, because he and I recently discussed PATHFINDER COMPANION: QADIRA, GATEWAY TO THE EAST, via e-mail. Here's Ed:

I've ordered it from my local indie bookstore, the wonderful AVID READER in Cobourg, just to cover my behind if it sells out at GenCon before I can get to the Paizo booth (they've got me busy this year with signings and such), as I suspect the Pathfinder rulebook quickly will. However, I will be picking up a copy at GenCon if at all possible, so I can get Brian to sign it. A great writer and designer, a great guy, and a good friend. As a gamer, I suspect I'd be buying it anyway, even if no parts of my preceding sentence were true. Ye I'm happy to say that they are!

So saith Ed. Who is looking forward very much to GenCon, by the way. Even if it does exhaust him (at the same time as it inspires and recharges him), every year.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  17:40:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Well, the RPGA might cleave to "no exceptions" just to keep the lid on what some gamers will try to do with their characters, but I would also hold to the "there are always exceptions" view.
Precisely - what NPCs are capable of (both novel and game) should NOT be what characters are capable of - that is the biggest mistake the 3e ruleset made.

The DM couldn't do a damn thing without some player saying 'Hey! I want to do that too!".

I remember at least one author commenting on how he recieved a lot of flak because his character cast too many fireballs in a row. He couldn't believe people actually took the time to count them....

PCs MUST be balanced... the world, not necessarily.

Sorry once-again for the side chatter.

Gomez, I would say just go for it... but you had better be ready to accept the consequences when tons of 'grognards' want to know how such a thing is possible (and want to do the same for their PCs). People need to stop analyzing everything and remember it is just a damn game... have fun with it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jul 2009 17:41:46
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  19:04:38  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Torm, of courtse, couldn't resist a tasteless "boiled crabman" remark. Right up there with his: "Children. Heh. They're all the same - - on a platter, with an apple in their mouths."
[I don't defend the character, I merely report]
love,
THO

Damn, frankly it's amazing that Torm is still alive after all this time.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Galen
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  20:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Galen's Homepage Send Galen a Private Message
quote:

... In the Time of Troubles we had "all" assassins wiped out at one stroke, remember? Except for all the assassins who somehow became exceptions (quite a few of them, as I recall, if you read the backgrounds of some published AND RPGA characters carefully - - meaning mid- to high-level assassins who'd begun being so before the Godswar and still were at some later point, with no mention of them ceasing to be assassins in the middle, so to speak).
Of course, some will certainly disagree, but that's my two cents. We have clear examples in canon of exceptions (not all of them of the "let's change class writeup" sort, as some did for Artemis), so therefore there ARE exceptions.
BB

As to this particular story, I was lucky enough to attend a panel at Norwescon this year that Jeff Grubb was running, and none other than Bob Salvatore decided to crash. I can't remember why the big-wigs had decided to kill all assassins (besides the excuse that their god Baal was getting killed, ergo all assassins have to die as well), but poor Jeff was given the task of informing Bob about it and offering him first-refusal to write Artemis' death. Bob, unsurprisingly, did not take the news well, and a long and angry conversation ensued. Which was eventually ended with the surprise revelation from Bob that Artemis Entreri was, in fact, no assassin, but "a fighter-thief who killed people for money".

So there you go. It's all about how you spin the exceptions.

Also hello to all. I've been reading for years now and very much enjoyed the great questions, comments and speculations. Finally found something I could contribute to.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  22:02:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Galen

I can't remember why the big-wigs had decided to kill all assassins (besides the excuse that their god Baal was getting killed, ergo all assassins have to die as well),

It was the other way around, actually... 1E had assassin as a PC class. This class was dropped when 2E came out. Killing off all of the assassins was part of adjusting the Realms from 1E to 2E. And since there were no assassins, they didn't need a god for them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  00:48:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Galen

I can't remember why the big-wigs had decided to kill all assassins (besides the excuse that their god Baal was getting killed, ergo all assassins have to die as well),

It was the other way around, actually... 1E had assassin as a PC class. This class was dropped when 2E came out. Killing off all of the assassins was part of adjusting the Realms from 1E to 2E. And since there were no assassins, they didn't need a god for them.

Additionally, it is important to note that only those characters in the Realms who had the assassin class would've actually died [which means any unstatted characters before this time could have easily survived the event].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  04:49:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
A question about two different answers to the same question, both from Ed:

26 Feb 2004, re: Kuje's query regarding meetings between the Seven Sisters and Dornal Silverhand:

quote:

Oh, boy. Part of me hates to provide clear answers here because doing so restricts or ties down future WotC Realms authors. On the other hand, I stoutly maintain the fiction that everything we know of the Realms comes through Elminster (or, on rare occasions, Laeral), so this conceit (of the sometimes-deliberately-unreliable narrator) should be enough to “explain away” inconsistencies between what I say here and what you may someday read . . .
My take on things is this: Dornal has met all of his daughters except Qilue (sorry, can’t do accent marks through this primitive e-mail [Hooded One note: Sorry, neither can I.]), because Mystra thought this might be too painful/mentally damaging to him, but she did carefully and covertly manipulate the other six of the Seven into meetings with him. Most of them know he’s still alive but have been privately, one-on-one, been mind-told by Mystra not to go looking for him because doing so will doom him to torment and death at the hands of evil beings seeking to force Mystra to do certain things (which she will have to refuse), and because it will harm his delicate mental state.
Some of the six Sisters realized who Dornal must be, during or after their encounters, but kept this knowledge from him. The Simbul did once openly rescue him from destruction (with a spell cast from afar, accompanied by a verbal message: “Father, I honour you!”) years after they met.
Dornal is bitter, but not as mentally fragile as all that, and is slowly “forgiving” Mystra (who went so far as to create a mortal avatar of herself whom he could physically punish and lash out at, to get back at her; he did so, and of course felt even worse). Mystra herself felt guilt over what happened to Dornal, and not only kept him alive far beyond his normal lifespan in an effort to bring him to “peace” before he died, but brought about these manipulated meetings (in each of which Dornal was made aware who his daughters were immediately after parting from them) in an attempt to heal his mental hurts.
In this, she largely succeeded, but Dornal is now suffering the same mental degeneration/utter exhaustion that most long-lived humans (such as Elminster and Khelben) do: the cumulative effects of repeatedly outliving friends, relations, and loved ones and seeing beloved places swept away or changed beyond recognition.
Dornal is still bitter over Mystra “using” him and his wife, and even feels bitterness about her obvious role in the manipulated meetings with the eldest six of the Seven, but knowing he has grandsons (some of whom he’s met), the passage of time, and Mystra’s clear sorrow and humbleness towards him have made these “old hurts” that are growing easier to live with. And there may even be some small satisfaction in knowing that he outlived the goddess that did this to him.
He remains a Watcher for the new Mystra, and even has some other “secret agent” duties for her (after all, a VERY experienced adventurer who really doesn’t care what happens to himself can be quite useful for certain tasks). It will probably come as no surprise to you to hear me say: “I’d love to do a novel about Dornal Silverhand’s doings in the Realms of today.” It probably also wouldn’t surprise you to hear that the long-suffering folks of WotC’s Book Publishing division are almost certainly heartily weary of hearing me utter that sentence, with various characters attached to it. :}
If you met Dornal Silverhand in the present-day Realms, you’d be seeing a tall, gaunt, cavern-eyed man of grim manner and utterly silent movements, who seldom speaks. He sees all (even tiny details, glimpsed momentarily), forgets nothing, and can reason very quickly (interpreting what he sees). He carries an astonishing variety of concealed weapons, knows the back trails, ruins, nearby caves, and other “quick getaway” features of locales across the Sword Coast North and the Heartlands of the Faerun better than most beings, and is utterly fearless (not bold or reckless; he simply doesn’t care what happens to himself).
He often tried to poison himself when it first became clear to him that Mystra wasn’t going to allow him to suicide, and she kept him alive by magically neutralizing lethal dose (or even combination ‘cocktail’) after dose, with the result that he’s now immune to all effects of most poisons, and suffers only minor harm from the known remainder.
Dornal’s hobby, as a onetime noble, has been to learn and keep straight the genealogies and family histories of divers nobility and self-styled nobility of Waterdeep, Sembia, and Cormyr, plus their exiled offshoots; as a result, he can smilingly deflate a noble dandy by revealing that their great-grandfather took the name and titles of a dead battle-comrade, and so the dandy and his kin really don’t deserve to be treated as nobles at all . . . or shock sworn enemies or lovers by revealing their true blood relationships to each other. He doesn’t go around doing so, of course, but he’s not above “taking care of” cruel or over-ambitious nobles by letting rivals or family members know some truths about skeletons in family closets.
His favourite daughters are Dove and Storm, the former because she’s the closest to him in manner and (in his eyes) the least “tainted” by her own spellcasting, and the latter because he’s watched Storm comfort folk, aid in childbirths, entertain with songs, and pitch in and help strangers fight fires, hunt down missing children, and the like, and has come to love and admire her as many folk in the Realms do. He also sees something of his own “don’t care what happens to my own skin” thinking in her deeds and behaviour, yet admires the way she couples it with empathy for others, and complete lack of personal pride.
He once gave all of his clothing to shivering beggars on the road near Neverwinter and walked naked into a blizzard, hoping to die numbed and unaided (Mystra, of course, has other ideas), and was awed when he once witnessed Storm disrobed completely to give all of her clothing to freezing folk who’d been driven out of their (wooden) home by fire, and then lead them for miles to shelter (striding naked through the snow to her farmhouse). A sort of: “That’s my girl!” admiration. (Storm’s casual attitude regarding nudity should of course be well-known to Realms fans and detractors by now. :})
Sembia is a place where wealth and boredom have reached sufficient levels that young nobles and inheritors are doing all sorts of crazy things, just now, and magically-gifted individuals often manage to indulge themselves (and yet survive) long enough to develop some of their potential. Silverymoon has long been such a place, too, and Everlund increasingly so. As a result, Dornal has been spending a lot of time quietly and covertly observing magic-related activities in these three places, walking everywhere and working alone. He has acquired some minor magic items that aid in healing and in disguise, and “the new Mystra” (who seems to admire him) has been covertly recharging these items, ‘beefing them up’ on occasion, and even surprising Dornal (and sometimes, pursuers) with casting feather fall or teleport spells on him that he wasn’t expecting, and isn’t quite sure of the origins of. On the other hand, she doesn’t watch over him closely, and he’s spent some agony-filled days crawling with broken limbs and ribs, or lying almost bloodless, waiting for wounds to heal under the slow benison of his healing magics. Yet he seems to have found reasons, at least for now, to keep going and to serve the new Mystra as capably as he knows how.
<snip>

And there you have it, from the Master himself. Me, I’m just (ahem) His Master’s Voice.
Hmmph. Well, I guess THAT advertised my age to everyone. Sigh.
The Hooded One

However, according to "The Seven Sisters" (Ed Greenwood, TSR9475, published 1995):
quote:

[In 767 DR, the year of Qilue's birth and Elue's death] Dornal spurned his lands and children, never to return. For the next 20 [should be 30] years he raged across the North as an adventurer seeking his own death in reckless attacks on orcs, monsters, and brigands. He saved his deepest hatred for evil mages. Mystra watched over Dornal Silverhand, and death was not so easy for him to find. When he met his end at last, in a single-handed hillside battle against raiding orcs in the Year of the Hearthstone (797 DR), he called on Mystra to remember him. His words made it clear that he had guessed she had been protecting him. She was so touched that she offered him existence as a servant: the Watcher, who wanders the Realms seeking out potential new Chosen and looking out for magical problems. Dornal accepted and-unnoticed by mortals-continues this service to this day.

So saith Ed... but which Ed's right?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 21 Jul 2009 04:55:13
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  06:47:27  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

The objections did not come from the RPGA/R&D, but from FR fans (Markustay's grognards) at the wizards boards. I actually don't think R&D has objections.
I asked about this at the start of the campaign, and got permission to cast Yelirra as a drow. I am unsure if they really understood the question at the time, so I didn't mention Yelirra's faith - just hinted at it. I'm considering mentioning her faith in an upcoming adventure though.

I do want to stay consistent with canon (well, I have to :P). I can think up several reasons why Yelirra is still a drow, but it is nice if I can make it plausible. If Eilistran's who didn't turn into dark elves (either because they refused it, carried too strong the taint of Wendonai, or were otherwise singled out) are exceptional but not unheared of, then I can just lay those discussions to rest.

I will ask Bruce Cordell at Gencon (if I can track him down), or someone from novels, but I value Ed's opinion, both on the specific question and on the general idea of using exceptional cases.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  07:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message
This is a question for ED and the lady THO

On the assassin topic I thought it was only those who worshipped Bhaal. So wouldn't that make those who didn't exempt? And while Artemis may be that "Fighter-thief" class now he was definitely an assassin in 1e.

And if you can answer the following if you choose to(NDA's not withstanding of course):
1.Why didn't Cyric assume the portfolio of the God of Magic upon the slaying of Mystra(as he did with Leira)
2. There was mentioned elsewhere about "a traitor was released" who helped prevent the ascension of a new deity of magic. Has anyone heard of who this is?

2 things I apologize for beforehand
1. If these questions are not appropiate for this board.
2. If these questions have been asked already.

Thanks in advance for those who contribute to this post.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  15:17:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
There not my Grognards!

Most of those people who get that appelation - people who who love the Realms but despise the 4e Realms - are my friends... who I side against more often then not. That doesn't mean I claim any short of ownership over them... I wasn't born in Thay, you know (or Calimshan, or the Old Empires, etc...).

I just happen to be one of those strange people who actually believe-in the statement: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Which extends to 4e gaming. I may not like it, but I will not tolerate folks interferring with others enjoyment of it. 'Different strokes' and all of that.

As for your 'dilemma'... I look at it this way - certain followers of Eilistraee did not recieve the 'deliverance' and become Dark Elves again. Most - as in 99.99% DID become Dark Elves - but that rare few that did not probably don't even understand the reasons themselves. Did they not "measure-up" to Eilistraee's requirements? Was there some personality flaw that kept them from becoming Elves again? Was this a punishment, of sorts, or did Eilistraee have 'bigger plans' for them (plans that may never see fruition, now that she is gone)?

That 'mystery' is one of the very core elements of the Realms. It should not stop you from creating an interesting character-concept, but rather become one of the very things the character is based on. Perhaps Yelirra has nightmares about Lolth killing Eilistraee, maybe she has many a sleepless night wondering why the Seldarine have forsaken her...

HER not knowing makes her all the more interesting, and the rest of the campaign world as well. People like Yelirra, Drizzt, and perhaps Liriel are now looked at with double-suspician. If 'good Drow' became Elves again, why didn't they? If it was hard for characters like those to make their way in the surface world before, imagine how much harder it is now, with all the re-fueled distrust.

All WotC did was put Drow back in their place, as distrusted, vile things, and the VERY RARE 'good ones' are now exactly what they were meant to be - anomalies no-one can fully explain.

Embrace the mystery, don't try to explain it. Thats what fantasy gaming is all about (IMHO).

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Silly boy... BOTH!

The first is obviously Ed describing things in his own campaign - which hasn't reached the point of the published Realms. The second is the official outcome in the canon Realms.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Additionally, it is important to note that only those characters in the Realms who had the assassin class would've actually died [which means any unstatted characters before this time could have easily survived the event].

I would just like to add to this - by "The Realms", we mean only Faerûn-proper. Baal-worshipping assassins in the Hordelands did not die (but DID lose their assassin abilites and become just thieves). Thats in The Horde material.

Ergo, thats why I postulate the entire ritual cast by Baal (with Myrkul and Bane's assisstance) was an AoA spell, and had a radius of thousands of miles, but didn't incorporate the entire planet. Centered in the Dales as it was (IIRC), it would have encompassed nearly all of the main campaign area... but not beyond.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2009 15:23:49
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  16:27:10  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed I was curious as to the this dead magic area in the Anauroch caused by phaerimm, how far above the surface does it extend and how far below? How big is it and is this something you came up with or WotC?
To be honest I don't remember reading about it in any novels and recall Ruha using her magic in the novel with harper, recently reading "Anauroch The empire of shade" is where the dead magic zone over desert is mentioned.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  16:36:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
The Anauroch: The Empire of Shade adventure has the dead magic zone, not from the Phaerimm, but from the arcane ritual being used by Hadhrune to 'transform' the Nether Scrolls into something that can the Shades can use to rip apart the Weave and replace it with the Shadow Weave.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  16:56:30  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ahhhhhhh thanks, I am much relieved by that actually.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  19:20:47  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Once more.

Ed does Truename magic and Dark Speech work regardless of within weave or shadow weave magic, are these two a type of raw magic all their own?

Another question

Mephistopheles allows himself to be summoned to city of Shade by Brennus in Shadowrealm and is able to use his magic freely, however its my understanding from The Anauroch: The Empire of Shade that the city itself is surrounded by a field that negates the use of weave magic so is this just an oversight of authors or is Mephistopheles magic powered by Hell itself? Can he and other such beings employ magic in either weave with no problems?

Secondly if the Lord of Cania used Truename magic or Dark Speech on someone within a silence spell does the silence spell prevent the effects especially coming from such a powerful creature? In your realms do either forms of magic really require the target to hear it personally to be affected?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  20:04:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Heard a rumor that today is a certain Canadian Sage's 50th anniversary on this planet...

Please pass along my heart-felt congratulations and a wish that he and his get to see another 50 (at least)!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  21:32:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It is indeed Ed's 50th, and I wish him well. VERY well. The ladies from his local bookstore have already dropped into the library with balloons and chocolates and a saucy card, I'm given to understand.
So, let the good wishes - - and the sauciness! - - begin!
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Ed I'm coming!!!
Oops. That sounded entirely TOO accurate.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  21:35:43  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message
Many happy returns Ed...and Thank you for all the years of Realms goodness.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  22:18:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Just a tad older then I... and still quite young.

The very best of wishes, and remember, you're only as young as those you feel... errrrr... as YOU feel.

Well... THO did invite sauciness, and since I can't very well drive up to Canada with a bowl of my homemade Pasta Primavera...

Happy B-Day, Mr. Realms.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2009 22:18:46
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  22:44:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Happy Bornday sir Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  00:19:30  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Happy Birthday Ed! By way of a gift, I will not add another question to my already-too-large pile thereof.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  00:26:27  Show Profile
Happy Birthday, Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  00:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Happy birthday, happy birthday Ed!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  01:18:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Silly boy... BOTH!

The first is obviously Ed describing things in his own campaign - which hasn't reached the point of the published Realms. The second is the official outcome in the canon Realms.

I didn't think Ed's home campaign was set *that* far back... it would have to be prior to 797 DR for Dornal's death simply "not to have happened yet"... Ed? THO? Is there a resolution to this paradox? If so, is it NDA'd?

Edit: Yes, I know I promised Ed no questions from me on his birthday... but if you'll look at the timestamp, you'll see that my birthday wishes are in fact belated, and Ed's birthday is already yesterday according to the 'Keep's clock.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Jul 2009 01:20:46
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  01:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
A very happy birthday, Ed!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  03:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message
Happy B-day Ed. Is it Els b-day as well?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000