Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  18:57:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Mmm... tasty Halaster-lore... I had assumed much of this, and the rest fits in nicely with my plans for the Mad Mage...

Edit: In my campaign, Mystra is CN, not CG. Her near-demise at the hands of Shar unhinged her somewhat, ironically rebalancing the moral scales of magic in the process. Magic itself is neither good nor evil, and as such neither should be the god who oversees it. Besides, it works better for my aforementioned plans for Halaster. That's all for now; this is still a details-in-progress project.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Jul 2009 19:04:32
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  19:39:32  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed what would you say are the properties of this 'permanant darkness" over Tilverton and what creatures would now make this area their home in your mindseye. I'm assuming undead who shun light would flock to this area if it was not harmful to them. Also is this a sustaining magic effect, is it actually eating away at the weave surrounding it or perhaps anchored within the weave itself?

Another question is would surviving Phaerimm be able to subsist off of this area, would it have the 'meat; of a mythal or be more like 'chinese food', tasty but leaving phaerimm craving for something more substantial?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  20:55:33  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Wait until you see my newest version of the FR map - there are quite a few more settlements in the area of the Tunlands then most folks realized (at least twenty, all canon).

However, with the growth (and integration) of the swamps in 4e, many of those may have been destroyed (and, of course, the Spellplague could have done a number on all of them... or not).
<snip>

And how long will we have to wait to see that map, Mark? And I hope you're keeping 4E changes to a separate version of the map... as much as I've resigned myself to the reality of 4E, that doesn't mean I like the geography any more... apart from the undesertifiation of Anauroch.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  22:58:07  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message

Ed:
Dove-tailing (and what a tail she has too)...

Could you try and mechanically/functionaly explain the "increase
of Weave-handling ability" you mentioned a couple
of posts ago with Halaster. That caught my
attention a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  23:11:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ooh! I second the request from Althen. I'll maybe work on my own explanation while we're waiting; it's a weekend, after all...

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  00:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
Edit: In my campaign, Mystra is CN, not CG. Her near-demise at the hands of Shar unhinged her somewhat, ironically rebalancing the moral scales of magic in the process. Magic itself is neither good nor evil, and as such neither should be the god who oversees it. Besides, it works better for my aforementioned plans for Halaster. That's all for now; this is still a details-in-progress project.

Mystra's never been CG, 1st Ed Mystra was LN, while post Time of Troubles (2nd Ed and 3rd Ed) Mystra was NG. The very first incarnation of Mystra (Mystryl) was CN, so it's a fitting alignment... A return to her roots, of sorts.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  01:50:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

<snip>

Mystra's never been CG, 1st Ed Mystra was LN, while post Time of Troubles (2nd Ed and 3rd Ed) Mystra was NG. The very first incarnation of Mystra (Mystryl) was CN, so it's a fitting alignment... A return to her roots, of sorts.

That's right... my bad. I have a tendency to overlook NG as an alignment; in any case, it certainly doesn't fit the deity of all magic, imho... anyway, so as not to hijack this scroll any further, I have (sigh) yet another question for Ed, entirely unrelated to my previous ramblings.

Ed, is there anything you can tell me about the whereabouts of the Artblade between its first disappearance with Zaos Durothil in 450 DR and its return with Josidiah Starym? I know its current status is NDA in the realm of NDA, kept concealed by NDA until NDA happens, but I'm hoping that some light can be shed on its more distant past. Thanks in advance for whatever other than NDA you can tell us.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  02:11:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@BRian J. - Thanx for the response; I remember you saying something to that effect, but I wasn't sure if you learned anything new since that article was released.

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

And how long will we have to wait to see that map, Mark? And I hope you're keeping 4E changes to a separate version of the map... as much as I've resigned myself to the reality of 4E, that doesn't mean I like the geography any more... apart from the undesertifiation of Anauroch.

The new one is in a more useful format, with an index. Its a pdf Atlas, fully referenced. There will be seperate layers for everything so DMs can print-out what they want (and what they don't want their players to see).

I do plan a "4e layer"... eventually.

Since that's an eventually tacked-onto my already Sage-like () concept of time, thats like me saying you'll see it the day after forever.

But seriously, more gets done each day... I'm hoping the wait will be worth it.

Anyhow, just to keep this on-topic, I too would like to know what was meant by an 'enhanced' Halaster (increase use of Weave-hamdling). It almost sounds like she made him a Chosen... almost...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2009 02:14:40
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  02:32:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Mmm... yummy... so does this mean that the original image-file map is history? Or is it still around in some form as a source to work from? And in your continued search for locations of places, were you able to locate all of the mythal cities? (Apologies to Ed and the mods for cluttering up Ed's scroll; it stops now. Mods: If you want to excise this map-chatter and place it in a new scroll, please do so; I can see it growing based on what Mark has most recently said here.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  03:06:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Candlekeep currently doesn't have the function for allowing discussions to be split into new scrolls, unfortunately. 'Tis coming with Candlekeep 2, though.

In the meantime, if both you and Markus wish to continue with this mapping chatter, I'd suggest you open a new scroll on the General Forgotten Realms Chat shelf.

Now, back to questions for Ed of the Greenwood...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  06:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Candlekeep currently doesn't have the function for allowing discussions to be split into new scrolls, unfortunately. 'Tis coming with Candlekeep 2, though.

Well, this is the first I've read of a new website in the works. I'm looking forward to Candlekeep 2: Esoteric Boogaloo coming to a computer server near me.

And to make this post scroll-legal, here's a question for Ed and LHO:

Do underwater siege engines exist, and what do they look like?

Obviously, in an underwater environment, where you can move freely in the x-y-z axes affects siege strategy, and the nature of water affects the physics of warfare (ie ratcheted crossbows over pull-string bows). So, are there parallels to scorpions, mangonels, and trebuchets? What about boiling oil and greek fire?

Edited by - Aysen on 19 Jul 2009 06:17:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  06:49:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Wooly! Ed tells me there's something wrong with his Yahoo account right now (in general, not just with messeages from you), so he'll get back to you ASAP. Which I presume means he knows he's got a message from you, he just can't get the account to either show it to him or to let him reply.
To all other scribes, I do have an Ed lore reply to share with you, in just a moment when I can get it downloaded.
love,
THO

Heh, okay. Thanks for letting me know.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  06:51:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
As promised, lore from Ed, this time in reply to a query from Raelan back in early March of this year: "Hi, Ed. I've been wondering a few things regarding the Mad Mage of Undermountain for some time. He's always been a rather enigmatic figure in the Realms, and I'd like to know a bit more, both for my own edification and for the purposes of using some of his ongoing works when running a game.
Would you be willing to offer a conjecture as to what Halaster would've been doing with with his post-Elminster in Hell life had he not died and the Spellplague never happened? What would his goals have been; what type of plots would he have been engaged in; how would his interactions with his apprentices, associates, and people in general have changed; and would he descend into madness once again as a result of the influence of the enchantments of Undermountain? Did he have machinations in motion at the time of his canonical death that you could go into and extrapolate upon as if he hadn't been killed?
Any and all info would be appreciated. :)"
Ed replies:

Halkaster's problem was madness induced and exacerbated by Weave overload; he was trying to maintain too many wards and "hanging" spells (waiting to be triggered) and scrying ports and gates/portals - - at the same time as he suffered spell backlashes and mind damage from spell-duels. For a time he was just paranoid, then he was "wild-mad," and for a time thereafter he was sane inside Undermountain (i.e. within all his wards), but mad outside Undermountain. Then it became vice-versa.
In ELMINSTER IN HELL, Mystra didn't "cure" his insanity; she increased his Weave-handling ability by a LOT. Allowing him to recover control of himself.
So, Halaster would still be as whimsical/unpredictable to most humans as, say, Elminster is . . . but quite lucid and farsighted and cunning. He would still be paranoid - - and now able to travel freely and function freely wherever he was. Meaning he'd set out to see to "unfinished business" (like getting even with the Twisted Rune, and resuming all of his long-neglected projects outside Undermountain - - which include mending fences with some of his apprentices, moving to influence the rule of certain city-states and countries where he desires to operate, such as Amn and Tethyr, and take a few revenges on others besides the Rune).

So saith Ed. Being as general as possible in his reply, I see. Quite possibly due to not wanting to hamper some developments in the "home" Realms campaign [[insert chords of doom here]]
love to all,
THO

She gave him more RAM and a faster processor!

On a more serious note, oh, what evil fun! I'm liking this little bit of lore!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Jul 2009 06:52:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  10:26:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Since that's an eventually tacked-onto my already Sage-like () concept of time, thats like me saying you'll see it the day after forever.
You know I've my own continuum now, right?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  10:28:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

quote:

Well, this is the first I've read of a new website in the works. I'm looking forward to Candlekeep 2: Esoteric Boogaloo coming to a computer server near me.
There's been no definitive details. Just some discussion here and there about what will likely be featured as part of the forum software upgrade.

For a discussion already in progress, see here.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2009 10:29:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  15:39:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Wooly, that's a GREAT shorthand explanation of what Mystra did to Halaster.
As Ed explained it to me, Mystra can aid mortal spellcasters in a variety of ways:
[I'm quoting Ed, now]

* show them how to cast something or create something or prepare or find something (implant a "movie" of a process or route plus landmarks or a performance [e.g. precise casting of a spell] in their minds)
* give them a spell or spells permanently ("impress" it on their minds; this can extend to a new "ability" [feat], but that just means Mystra's handed the mortal a combination of magic not yet mastered as individual spells by mortals)
* give them a spell or spells temporarily ("implant" it in their minds; once cast, it's gone)
* charge or "enstar" them with power (pour Weave energy into them, to be released in the form of touch-fire, spat-out fire [temporary, use-it-and-gone spellfire], or to "pay for" multiples of spells they have memorized in their minds at the time (cast spell, but it's not forgotten and gone, because you filled the mold with Weave energy and let fly, keeping the "charged" original in your mind; this boon is potentially very harmful to minds if the mortal tries to hold onto the energy too long, or if it's a mind not used to wielding the Art or not competent at using the Art)
* make them a Chosen or servitor by imparting some of her divine power into them in a long, complex, and exacting process that transforms them
* augment their ability to handle the Art by using a different long, complex, and exacting process to cleanse their minds, reorganize their minds, "grow" the numbers of (and repair and expand) brain cells to handle more: that's what she did to Halaster, with a big boost, and it's also what she does to each and every spellcaster who increases a level in spellcasting ability, albeit more slowly and to a lesser extent, as they sleep in between sessions of being tutored or trained, or practising the Art on their own; she does the expanding, and the training or use crafts new neural pathways to enable the mind to comprehend and control its expanding power
* cast spells on the mortal (e.g. shape change), with or without permanency

. . . .and So saith Ed. Essential Realmslore to clip and save; enjoy!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  15:44:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Aysen, Ed is temporarily incommunicado in some ways; see my earlier reply to Wooly (Ed can sneak out onto the Net using his wife's account; he apparently just can't "see" recent messages in his own account, right now), but in the meantime I can make a tiny partial answer to your underwater siege engine query: we Knights once saw a large contraption in a museum/trophy hall in Athkatla that was billed as a "merfolk-cooker" used in siege battles: it used magically-heated metal spheres spun around in a bottle-like cauldron to heat up water, which was then jetted out of the bottle at apertures in undersea caverns and structures, to boil creatures inside.
Torm, of courtse, couldn't resist a tasteless "boiled crabman" remark. Right up there with his: "Children. Heh. They're all the same - - on a platter, with an apple in their mouths."
[I don't defend the character, I merely report]
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  15:57:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, you've got an email coming your way.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  21:39:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Okay, came across another of Ed's 'random abilites' (a little girl with Psyhometry), and it got me thinking - Ed seems to have used this more often with PCs (naturally) and important NPCs then commoners, but it does seem to be a 'running theme' in the Realms. When I couple this with the lore about The Incipient Clans from 2e's Secrets of the Magister, I get the feeling that Toril is almost 'Xanth-like' in nature - magic is inherent in all things, and flows stronger in certain bloodlines.

Obviously Ed likes to throw unexpected twists at his players, sometimes in the form of 'strange powers suddenly manifesting', and I was wondering if he did this at the spur of the moment (or as needed), pre-planned for such things, or made some sort of random tables that he just rolled on to see if someone had some unique ability (sort of like the old 1e 'wild talent' psionic rules).
quote:

Also, anything at all on the Incipient Clans would be cool.

quote:

You know I've my own continuum now, right?

So you are like the Dawn Cataclysm - everything you do occurs "outside of time"?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2009 21:40:48
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  01:32:39  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Fascinating.

So, I would guess that spellcasters use a larger percentage
of their brains computing ability.

Something else I wanted to quickly ask. Had the events of
Shar attack on his tower not occured, would Elminster have stayed
in Shadowdale or would he have moved to Myth Drannor after
the retaking?

Also, in the Knights trilogy during the discussion with Khelben,
is a divine breach of the Weave just an in-Realms way of saying
a magic dead area caused by divine magic?

Edited by - althen artren on 20 Jul 2009 01:33:38
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  01:50:33  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Hey Madam Hooded One:

May we have more Hesperdan stories from the home game? I got some
theories I turning over in my head.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  02:49:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, I can tell you "for certain" that Ed has never rolled on a random table for a "wild talent." He creates the NPCs and waits for us to stumble upon them, sometimes years later (no, he doesn't "pick up prepared encounters and move them to plonk them in our way," he keeps track of what all these NPCs are doing with THEIR lives, and lets players direct their characters freely; it's up to us what lane we come stumbling down or shop we walk into; Ed had plenty of interesting stuff everywhere for us to browse amongst).
That's one reason gal gamers like playing with Ed so much: it's like one huge shopping spree, where we pick stuff over and choose what we like. Or just what we rouse and disturb into choosing US.
Ed has told me that he sometimes rolls to see if an event, situation, or contact with magic will trigger a hitherto-quiescent innate ability in someone (PC or NPC), though. When it does, THOSE are the jaw-dropping play sessions.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  02:52:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again.
althen artren, dearest, I hate to have to answer you this way, but: no more Hesperdan stories yet. Until something gets published. Then Ed will happily tell you more. You'll see, but the wait will be some months, I'm afraid.
Also, his response to you about where Elminster dwelt or dwells or would choose to will have to wait a little longer, until something ELSE gets published.
Again, you'll see (we'll all see).
I wish I could say more, but I've already said too much. Spank me, please . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  02:58:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . and it's me, AGAIN.
althen, I just spotted your Hesperdan musings thread. I've promised not to say too much about Hesperdan, so let me say just this much: Hesperdan may have been more than one role (of the sorts of roles/explanations/identities you postulate for discussion, and others) over the passage of time. Though I make, of course, no promises. Nor will Ed be issuing any confirmations at this time, nor for some time to come. The sun will, however, likely continue to rise and set, and Elminster to weep from time to time.
There. That ought to make things as clear as mud.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Jul 2009 03:00:10
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  04:07:54  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Believe me missy, if you were right here in Wentzville MO
I would have all ready had you over my lap from the previous
thread wailing away on those honeybuns.

Good thing my hands are small.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  06:53:17  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Unsure if this is a question Ed can answer (if not, I am going to pester Bruce with it - well, I probably will, anyway :P ).

In DALE1-1, I introduced the drow Yellira Am’benuinyl, the Mistress of Stars of the Fall of Stars adventurers’ club.
It's implied (not outright stated) that Yellira is a (former) priestess of Eilistraee.
However, some people state that this isn't possible since 'all' chosen (as in: worshippers) of Eilistraee were transformed to dark elves (in one of the novels, haven't read those yet, not really sure if I want to but I will probably have to at some point...). They state that exceptions are not possible. My stance is that exceptions, by their very nature, are possible - almost unavoidable, even (I mean, this is a fantasy game...).
The question I have is: how exceptional would it be? It would definitely be rare, but would it be unique for a priestess to resist (most likely actively) the change?

Gomez,
working on his last edits before GenCon...

Edited by - gomez on 20 Jul 2009 06:55:35
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  11:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Markustay, I can tell you "for certain" that Ed has never rolled on a random table for a "wild talent." He creates the NPCs and waits for us to stumble upon them, sometimes years later (no, he doesn't "pick up prepared encounters and move them to plonk them in our way," he keeps track of what all these NPCs are doing with THEIR lives, and lets players direct their characters freely; it's up to us what lane we come stumbling down or shop we walk into; Ed had plenty of interesting stuff everywhere for us to browse amongst).
That's one reason gal gamers like playing with Ed so much: it's like one huge shopping spree, where we pick stuff over and choose what we like. Or just what we rouse and disturb into choosing US.
Ed has told me that he sometimes rolls to see if an event, situation, or contact with magic will trigger a hitherto-quiescent innate ability in someone (PC or NPC), though. When it does, THOSE are the jaw-dropping play sessions.

love,
THO

And let me tell you that all the wonderful shops, inns, taverns and NPCs (shopkeepers, merchants, innkeepers, craftsmen, stable boys etc.) Ed has created over the years and shown us had made my male players shopping fans, too ("Ooh, that one sounds so interesting... I think I'll step inside to see what they're selling!"). As a player, my own all-time favorite shop is probably Old Xoblob Shop in Waterdeep (you just have to love old Dandalus! )

My deepest thanks, Ed, for showing me how to write interesting, memorable "mundane" NPCs with great personalities, and how to use them to make the world feel even more "alive"!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  13:45:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Unsure if this is a question Ed can answer (if not, I am going to pester Bruce with it - well, I probably will, anyway :P ).

In DALE1-1, I introduced the drow Yellira Am’benuinyl, the Mistress of Stars of the Fall of Stars adventurers’ club.
It's implied (not outright stated) that Yellira is a (former) priestess of Eilistraee.
However, some people state that this isn't possible since 'all' chosen (as in: worshippers) of Eilistraee were transformed to dark elves (in one of the novels, haven't read those yet, not really sure if I want to but I will probably have to at some point...). They state that exceptions are not possible. My stance is that exceptions, by their very nature, are possible - almost unavoidable, even (I mean, this is a fantasy game...).
The question I have is: how exceptional would it be? It would definitely be rare, but would it be unique for a priestess to resist (most likely actively) the change?

Gomez,
working on his last edits before GenCon...

If they bring it up again, point out that (as far as we know, anyway) Drizzt hasn't transformed and is still a 'good' guy.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  15:35:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
But at no point in time was Drizzt a worshipper of Eilistraee, and if anything, he was actually 'evil' by her standards (he turned his back on his people). There was a reason why Drizzt worshipped a human goddesses - he was a self-hater (or rather, a self-species hater).

IMHO, exceptions always exist, Gomez... don't listen to LK. Whatever you produce for the LFR is far more official then his opinions.

Besides, I would think that those closest to Eilistraee (the clergy, not just the general layman) were given a choice - to leave the Drow behind forever, or to stay Drow and try to bring more into 'the light'. It's easy to look down at others and pity them, but it is a truly brave soul that "stays in the trenches" and tries to make changes from within.

Note that Drizzt wasn't that brave... not by a longshot. He ran as far and as fast as he could.

@Althen Artren- I think it was more along the lines of what happened in Elminster in Hell. Toril's planer barrier appears to be inherently 'weaker' then most (I have many theories about that, the newest being that it was first weakened when Ao split Toril and Abeir). The Weave was more then just a 'magical interface' for mortals to be able to juggle spells - it acted as a barrier to keep all sorts of 'nastiness' out. Now, I'm not really remembering that particular conversation, but I do recall there were some Malaugrym running about*...and they are one of the things the Weave is designed to 'keep out' (amongst MANY others). The Weave is a combination 'Planer Buffer' and "early warning system", along with everything else it does. Without it, the veil between worlds becomes very weak indeed.

Sorry for my musings (some would say 'ramblings'), my apologies for going a little off-topic with discussion.

Thank you for that answer, THO. I had a feeling that was the case. I had considered making just such a set of tables (which would be a huge undertaking, considering the possibilities), but then I realized I would never really use them myself (except, perhaps, in the case of 'magic gone awry'). I prefer to assign things to players that best fit them, and the group, and the style of play.

I have a feeling Ed plays it like I do - things are a LOT less random then they appear.

*Edit: I just realized I may be getting confused with Spellfire. I read that novel the same week I read the Knights novels, and many of the characters were the same. I should have really looked back at the novel before commenting on it.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jul 2009 17:35:21
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  15:35:42  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Drizz't isn't a worshipper of Eilistraee though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000