Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  06:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

"Neverwinter Nights" itself was originally the name of the local Neverwinter city newpaper (Ed actually published some issues of it, just for fun for his players), until the name was "given" to BioWare. So Ed named the game before it was a game - - and before there was a BioWare, too!
love,
THO

Showing my age here but actually, AOL had Neverwinter Nights before Bioware. :)

Yes, indeed. It was a gold box game, and was arguably the first "modern" graphical MMORPG. But I have a feeling that Ed's Neverwinter Nights newspaper predates that too. (It was a co-production of Stormfront Studios, SSI, TSR and AOL, published in 1991, and ran until 1997. Wikipedia linky here.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  17:36:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, Ed's Neverwinter Nights predates the gold box game, too. I'd forgotten about that one. I do remember Ed showing us POOL OF RADIANCE and EYE OF THE BEHOLDER (games were, well, a little primitive at the time; for a lark I wrote up a Realms equivalent for LEATHR GODDESSES OF PHOBOS, for our own private amusement; I used teleports to "loop" you back out of various hilarious perdicaments in Waterdeep, to the "main action sequence," which ended in Kitten's bed. With Laeral shooting beholders out of the sky like fireworks. Ed loved it.
Ah, nostalgia . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  21:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ooooooh... Any chance of us getting our paws on this adventure, milady? It will please us greatly, and pleasure is usually shared, is it not?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  02:35:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You have a working Mac II running System 6.02, that has an 800k floppy disc drive, Menelvagor?
I suppose I could print it out and turn it into a text-only "Choose Your Own Adventure" or "Pick-A-Path" -style prose adventure, but I can also see that taking more than a YEAR of my spare time. That I could far better use for doing other things. Getting my body licked all over a few thousand times, for instance.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  15:15:04  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
"Lit Your Own Adventure" vs. "Lick Your Own Adventure"?

Are we really all that surprised at her preference?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  00:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Heh. No, strangely enough.
I have a plea re. the "mysterious Cormyrean author" of the salacious book about Queen Fee: can THO or Ed "help" guessers by eliminating, say, characters named in his Realmslore series of web articles (the people Azoun and Filfaeril met, and all the courtiers named in the two-part "Cormyr protocol" pieces)? Please?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  00:10:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Baleful, your command is my wish (she purred masochistically). Consider it done. That is, characters mentioned in Ed's Realmslore series of web columns are eliminated. None of them wrote that sizzling tome.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  00:25:21  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Neverwinter doesn't have a city wall? Eeeehh...for a city in the North of all places, that doesn't sound so smart.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  00:26:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
A Mac II. Heh. Nope, my Baffling Vault of Antiquity doesn't stretch quite that far back.

The hard part would actually not be the hardware part, I'm an archivist, I'm sure I could dig something up if I put my mind to it, but rather what to do with the program once it was running. Are we wanting to just do a text dump, are there custom graphics that we're wanting to capture, is the gameplay the thing that's key? And then... ah. Ahem. Sorry. As I mentioned, I'm a digital archivist. This is the sort of problem I work with every day. Sometimes I get carried away.

Thinking about getting carried away in our fields, THO, does Ed ever use his long experience with libraries to snow people who think too highly of themselves? (ie: bury them in technobabble?) And, to put a Realmsian twist on it, how does he handle in the home campaign the unfortunate occurance of provoking a similar flood from a mage/scholar/other irate learned person? By which I mean someone who definitely knows what all the technical jargon means, but it's jargon for something that doesn't exist IRL?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  00:40:06  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
But khorne, that's the thing: not everyone behaves in a similarly "smart" fashion. In both real world and fantasy world settings. For a long time Silverymoon had no walls, either. Everlund still doesn't.
To have city walls, you need either a united prosperous populace to tax without wild unrest to pay for said walls, or a strong militaristic rule to order them built and force slaves or citizens or convicts (or a combination of those) to do the building. Which can take not just decades, but in some cases generations. If there are water supply or sewage problems, they will often take precedence.
Rather than either a large taxable populace who agreed on walls, or a tyrant, Neverwinter had lots of mages (no walls means free fields of fire for whiz-bang "smash invading armies" spells) and nature-lovers instead.
Or so I read the situation, anyway. In the real world, city walls (that a city hadn't outgrown) are more the exception than the rule, actually.
And both Ed and I, in completely different novels, have used the alternative to walls: frequent armed perimeter patrols.

Edited by - Sage of Stars on 14 Jul 2009 00:44:04
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  18:40:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Well said, Sage of Stars.
I bring a brief Realmslore reply from Ed, in response to this, from Drizztsmanchild (back on page 61 of this thread): "Ok, Since we are are discussing...ahem odd things. On another post there is a discussion on El's undergarments. For arguements sake and for lore what exactly are the magical properties of said undergarments? Thank you :)"
Ed replies:

The only consistent enchantment on El's smalls is the same magic that empowers panties of feather falling. Sometimes, however, he has added wards, or ironguard, or "trigger teleports" (teleports wearer away to pre-selected spot, or overriden by willed destination, at the contact of certain sorts of magic).

So saith Ed. One wonders about the enchantments on lingerie . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  20:52:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I bring a brief Realmslore reply from Ed, in response to this, from Drizztsmanchild (back on page 61 of this thread): "Ok, Since we are are discussing...ahem odd things. On another post there is a discussion on El's undergarments. For arguements sake and for lore what exactly are the magical properties of said undergarments? Thank you :)"
Ed replies:

The only consistent enchantment on El's smalls is the same magic that empowers panties of feather falling. Sometimes, however, he has added wards, or ironguard, or "trigger teleports" (teleports wearer away to pre-selected spot, or overriden by willed destination, at the contact of certain sorts of magic).

love to all,
THO

One wonders why El would feel the need to ironguard his skivvies. That's protection above and beyond that of a cup or codpiece!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  21:26:47  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I daresay that would be for intimate dalliances with ladies in too much of a hurry to remove their armor, Wooly.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  01:05:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Ed replies:

love to all,
THO

One wonders why El would feel the need to ironguard his skivvies. That's protection above and beyond that of a cup or codpiece!

Ah, I had Elminster prance around with his enchanted clout during a gaming session once. I won't even go into what I had ready for the enchanted undergarments of the other Chosen.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  19:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Another Cormyr question, if you will.
In the 1370s DR, is there any substantial settlement going on in the westernmost reaches of the realm (i.e. along the road that runs west out of High Horn, then turns south to the Bridge of Fallen Men)? Or is that still the home of hermits, loner steaders, prospectors, a few foresters and hunters, and outlaws?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  19:50:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Wait until you see my newest version of the FR map - there are quite a few more settlements in the area of the Tunlands then most folks realized (at least twenty, all canon).

However, with the growth (and integration) of the swamps in 4e, many of those may have been destroyed (and, of course, the Spellplague could have done a number on all of them... or not).

I noted that not a lot of 'settlement' happened in the Stonelands, despite Cormyr's best efforts in the 1300's. I suppose the proximity of the Shades and destruction of Tilverton have something to do with that.

BTW, since I just mentioned it... does 'New Tilverton' even exist? perhaps Brian James knows?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jul 2009 19:52:10
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  08:33:42  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Also, Cormyrans may have decided to settle closer to Sembia (since there now are a few independent cities as a buffer) or near Highdale.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  15:35:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
AFAIK, there already were hundreds of tiny settlements along that border.

'Conquering' the Stonelands was a major initiative of Azoun IV, and one of the main reasons why he was so willing to give charters to adventuring companies. I guess after his death, that 'project' went on a back-burner.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  15:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Well, of course. No point settling in a place (the Stonelands) where you can't grow food, where there are no roads (and no near neighbors or supplies), and where monsters show up to try to make YOU dinner every few minutes.
When the alternative settlement areas have all that the Stonelands is missing.
Now, if there was a sudden gold strike or people started finding caverns full of gems that are easily reached by average folk, then settlement (at least temporarily) might happen.
Just reading Ed's descriptions of the terrain (bare rock ridges, deep ravines between, no level ground) make me not want to ever go near the Stonelands. Er, nearer than Eveningstar, at least.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  14:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Yet another request for Cormyrean lore:
Are there any "mass" makers of nails, spikes, or other metal fasteners (screws? bolts? Do they exist in the Realms at this time?) circa the 1370s, in Cormyr?
Some sort of foundry/factory, I mean, as opposed to every smith hand-making what he needs "plus a few extra" for sale.
I didn't mean hinges or hook and eye catches, but now that I'm asking, I might as well include them, too . . .
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  14:52:54  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
I'd like to ride the coat tails of Blueblade's request: if there are such foundries or factories, is there one or more in Suzail? Can we know something about them (name, location, reputation, do they sell through other shops?). Please?
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  14:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I, too, have another campaign-related request: does Suzail have any acting or dancing schools, circa the 1370s DR, that recently had a scandal or were mentioned in unsavory rumors of some sort? Yes, I can obviously make up my own, so Ed doesn't have to, but I didn't want to contradict canon if he already has something up his sleeve . . .
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  14:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Ed, have you seen any sign of the SONGS OF THE DYING EARTH tribute anthology to Jack Vance, that George Martin's co-editing? Supposedly an August release, but I haven't heard anything for some time. I know you wanted to pick it up. Subterranean Press, yes?

And for Realms relevance, everyone: Ed, I know about the upcoming "Realms of the" anthology; do you know of any other planned anthologies or collections to be published set in the Realms?
Thank you in advance for anything you can share, old friend.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  15:50:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

Dear Ed and THO,
I, too, have another campaign-related request: does Suzail have any acting or dancing schools, circa the 1370s DR, that recently had a scandal or were mentioned in unsavory rumors of some sort? Yes, I can obviously make up my own, so Ed doesn't have to, but I didn't want to contradict canon if he already has something up his sleeve . . .
Thanks.

How about a producer of plays?

Check the adventure section of 2e's Draconimicon.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  01:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Just a quick question (with lots of explanations...) of relevance to my home brewed campaign, and maybe of interest to other people...

Just how far do you think Midnight/Mystra would go to hold onto existence?

Now I have two versions of the Realms, both of which I've managed to "save" Mystra in.

The first one is attached only to itself (and which other worlds or planes I decide to use if I ever run a game there), and Mystra knew her demise was imminent, so she went to Eilistraee for help (being the deity she's probably closest to given they share a Chosen) - Eilistraee gave up what was left of Vhaeraun, and Mystra was able to use that extra "stealthy" power to not be where Cyric was expecting her to be, and thus escaped death. (Mystra did replace the power she took from Eilistraee with some of her own, and afterwards she retained Vhaeraun's power in the form of an extra portfolio - Illusions, which Cyric lost.)

The second one, which is relevant to this question, is the Realms attached to my home brewed world of Cresan. Mystra knew her deminse was imminent, so she found a stray adventurer from Cresan (a changeling sorcerer called Harana, an NPC/Henchman), appealed to her, converted her from her original deity (Ah'an), then made her a Chosen. Harana was quite happy to help this foreign deity, and accepted (I am not entirely sure of Harana's motives, sometimes characters do things that surprise me when I let them slip off the leash). When Harana and the rest of her party were returned to Cresan, stuff happened - to cut a long story short a combined faction of demons and devils, and their hybrids, had tried to make the world into a NE plane and had almost succeeded. After seeing some pretty gruesome sights, Harana suddenly spoke up, but she was Harana no longer. Mystra had taken over. Her power had been placed within Harana for just this purpose, to bring her into Cresan and away from Cyric and Shar who would have almost certainly succeeded in killing her. Harana/Mystra cryptically blamed herself for what was happening in Cresan, then disappeared, leaving the party wondering what to do. Cutting another long story short, eventually the PCs came across Harana/Mystra battling Ah'an (a TN deity) for dominance over magic - which she wins. The reverberations in time and space from this battle had frozen the portal that was supposed to deliver the PCs to Cresan in time to avert the current crisis before it began, which caused the PCs to arrive when they did - too late to do anything about it. (But then they discovered an old friend who was able to teleport them back to the correct time by sacrificing herself and her power to do so - with the new deity of magic's help, of course.). Of course, with the time traveling you might wonder if Mystra was able to survive after all - yes, but she won't appear in Cresan for another three game years. (I am also in two minds as to whether or not the party will get Harana back. I think Harana and Mystra are too well integrated (especially given the impact of Mystra's battle with Ah'an), and have warned the party that they may be unable to "save" Harana. I liked Harana, but sometimes you have to let your darlings go. )

Of the two survivals, I think the former is probably more in character for Mystra, as it harms no one and manages to use friendship and stealth to thwart stealth and hatred. But I could see the second one working if Mystra felt she was that pressed and that in danger, and if she felt the Realms without her would suffer badly enough - the plan was to become a deity in another world so she could not be entirely defeated, and would leave the door to her coming back to the Realms once Cyric and Shar's attempt to kill her merely kills the avatar she left behind.

(Okay, enough working on this. Time to post. Hopefully people will be able to make sense of what I wrote. )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  13:14:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Canonically, Mystra is/was closest to Wee Jas, part of Greyhawk's Pantheon (On Hallowed Ground). As an old GH DM, I probably would have used her instead of Eilistraee (sort of combining your two).

The second scenario, IMHO, is more suited to the "Lady of Mysteries".
Mystra 'eating' Vhaeraun's remnants is a bit... icky.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jul 2009 13:14:58
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  17:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

BTW, since I just mentioned it... does 'New Tilverton' even exist? perhaps Brian James knows?
New Tilverton was included in the map order for Backdrop: Cormyr, located just southwest of Castle Nacacia along the Moonsea Ride. Mike Schley, the cartographer, mentioned that someone at WotC asked him to remove it. So it does appear that New Tilverton no longer exists, but even if that were so I'd rather have it marked as a ruin than not appear on the map at all.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  17:38:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Wooly! Ed tells me there's something wrong with his Yahoo account right now (in general, not just with messeages from you), so he'll get back to you ASAP. Which I presume means he knows he's got a message from you, he just can't get the account to either show it to him or to let him reply.
To all other scribes, I do have an Ed lore reply to share with you, in just a moment when I can get it downloaded.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  18:17:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ed and THO,

Thanks for the quick replies re: my most recent inquiries. Shortly thereafter, I was able to track down that elusive Dragon #51 online, in NM condition from a reputable used-RPG dealer I've ordered from in the past. I paid a pretty penny for it, but it's worth it. I found a couple of other titles I was looking for; they made the shipping charges to Western Canada worthwhile.

Hopefully something will be made available soon re: my two Hasturian questions (and no, they are not to be named until they can be answered, however vaguely, with something other than "NDA"; if *I'm* getting tired of seeing my questions rephrased by me in an effort to squeeze out the slightest bit of an answer, I can only imagine how the rest of CK feels...).

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Jul 2009 18:55:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  18:23:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
As promised, lore from Ed, this time in reply to a query from Raelan back in early March of this year: "Hi, Ed. I've been wondering a few things regarding the Mad Mage of Undermountain for some time. He's always been a rather enigmatic figure in the Realms, and I'd like to know a bit more, both for my own edification and for the purposes of using some of his ongoing works when running a game.
Would you be willing to offer a conjecture as to what Halaster would've been doing with with his post-Elminster in Hell life had he not died and the Spellplague never happened? What would his goals have been; what type of plots would he have been engaged in; how would his interactions with his apprentices, associates, and people in general have changed; and would he descend into madness once again as a result of the influence of the enchantments of Undermountain? Did he have machinations in motion at the time of his canonical death that you could go into and extrapolate upon as if he hadn't been killed?
Any and all info would be appreciated. :)"
Ed replies:

Halkaster's problem was madness induced and exacerbated by Weave overload; he was trying to maintain too many wards and "hanging" spells (waiting to be triggered) and scrying ports and gates/portals - - at the same time as he suffered spell backlashes and mind damage from spell-duels. For a time he was just paranoid, then he was "wild-mad," and for a time thereafter he was sane inside Undermountain (i.e. within all his wards), but mad outside Undermountain. Then it became vice-versa.
In ELMINSTER IN HELL, Mystra didn't "cure" his insanity; she increased his Weave-handling ability by a LOT. Allowing him to recover control of himself.
So, Halaster would still be as whimsical/unpredictable to most humans as, say, Elminster is . . . but quite lucid and farsighted and cunning. He would still be paranoid - - and now able to travel freely and function freely wherever he was. Meaning he'd set out to see to "unfinished business" (like getting even with the Twisted Rune, and resuming all of his long-neglected projects outside Undermountain - - which include mending fences with some of his apprentices, moving to influence the rule of certain city-states and countries where he desires to operate, such as Amn and Tethyr, and take a few revenges on others besides the Rune).

So saith Ed. Being as general as possible in his reply, I see. Quite possibly due to not wanting to hamper some developments in the "home" Realms campaign [[insert chords of doom here]]
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000