Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  09:07:24  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

3.) Gentle teasing of longstanding members, like The Hooded One (well-nigh unshockable, despite our many attempts) and The Sage (runs on geologic time, but gets results!)
Awesome!

Does this also mean that I could qualify for my own epoch? Perhaps even something that could be slipped into the Realmslore.

Ed, THO, take note!

Well, perhaps just your own geologic stratum; with all the work you do moderating it's no surprise we take you for granite....

----> http://instantrimshot.com/ <----
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  11:59:15  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elric

Hello Ed and THO,
My other question is in regards to the Moonshae Islands. I know that the published version of the Moonshaes isn’t the original version that you turned in to TSR. I recall reading a past post where you gave a description of what the original Moonshaes looked like (similar to the islands of Earthsea).Wizards posted a tie-in article to the Grand History of the Realms on their website awhile back that deals specifically with the history of the Moonshaes. It depicts what the Moonshaes looked like circa -11,000 DR. I was curious if this is what the original Moonshaes look like in your home campaign (I thought maybe they used your original version for this article)? Also, a quick question related to the Moonshaes, is the wizard Flamsterd and his island your creation and part of your original Moonshae Islands?

I apologize in advance if any of these questions have already been answered in previous posts.

Thanks very much for everything you do for us Realmsfans. It is greatly appreciated!

Hi Elric

Brian R James who wrote the article posted this response on another thread

"You are the first to comment on my homage to Ed's Earthsea-like Moonshaes. Well done. I never saw Ed's original map, so I hope it is a close approximation of his vision"

More on Flamsterd here (its a loooong Ed post, you need to scroll down about halfway)

Hope this helps

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  14:50:09  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message
quote:

quote:

3.) Gentle teasing of longstanding members, like The Hooded One (well-nigh unshockable, despite our many attempts) and The Sage (runs on geologic time, but gets results!)
Awesome!

Does this also mean that I could qualify for my own epoch? Perhaps even something that could be slipped into the Realmslore.

Ed, THO, take note!

I'm not Ed, but I have a suggestion.

Sage Reckoning: An archaic dating system used by the monks and scribes of Candlekeep to record the amount of time that has passed since the Sage of Perth's last completed project for the great library.

That okay?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  16:26:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

quote:

quote:

Awesome!

Ed, THO, take note!

I'm not Ed, but I have a suggestion.

Sage Reckoning: An archaic dating system used by the monks and scribes of Candlekeep to record the amount of time that has passed since the Sage of Perth's last completed project for the great library.

That okay?

Sage Reckoning = Year in DR + 10,000

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 25 May 2009 16:26:36
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  17:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I had my math final today(it was okay), and that got me thinking:
How much math is there in the Realms? Are they aware of the Sines and Cosines Functions? Is there even such a concept as 'X'? What of Geometry? And plane geometry? Or Integrals? Graphs?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 26 May 2009 08:21:45
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  19:13:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

I had my meth final today(it was okay), and that got me thinking:
How much math is there in the Realms? Are they aware of the Sines and Cosines Functions? Is there even such a concept as 'X'? What of Geometry? And plane geometry? Or Integrals? Graphs?

First off... 'meth final'?

Geometry (and some trigonometry) are used in arcane formulae for spells and rituals. Architecture and Engineering uses a lot of higher math to figure out structural integrity of buildings and such. Finally, I think Gondsmen and Lantan gnomes have established some calculus and physics-related math for their experiments.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  20:47:24  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message
quote:

At the final book of Lady Penitent Trilogy, there is an awesome Drow-character that is a "Geometric Mage". He don't stop examining paramethers on everything he sees. (unfortunetly I have this habit too.. I can't see a grid that already beginning to turn my head to find patterns in images)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  21:09:34  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message
THO or Ed... (Maybe Brian James or Eric Boyd could help me too)
I've asked this questions on another topic, but no one answered me with a good explanation (Well... Wooly told me he thinks that doesn't have a canon answer, but even so I have to ask you )

There's any explanation to the elves' changes of 3e to 4e?
Why do they live only 200 years now? And how can Sun and Moon elves teleport? What about wild/wood elves "sleeping"?

Thanks.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.

Edited by - edappel on 26 May 2009 12:37:22
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  21:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:

I also remember two separate instances in Realms works that mention complex mathematics, and checked on the sources:

1.) Realms of the Elves - "The Staff of Valmaxian" : The spellcasting chambers used by the main character are inlaid with golden lines that describe precise angles, radii, and calibrations to either heighten or refine the arcane power raised therein. I imagine many accomplished mages that work in Divination, Enchantment, or Conjuration/Summoning would have similar ones.

2.) Midnight's Mask by Paul Kemp: This might be closer to our real-life use of mathematics. Towards the close of the book, the villain incorporates extremely complex math formulae. --- SPOILERS ---(highlight) He does so while casting the epic spell Eclipse. The Sojourner needed to account for Toril's speed through space, spin on its axis, the movement of the sun, and the corresponding physics of the eclipsing object (a Tear of Selune) in order to achieve a 24-hour eclipse. --- END SPOILERS ---

And, as edappel mentioned, geometer mages do exist since 3rd edition, that perceive the Weave through math computations.

Edited by - Aysen on 25 May 2009 21:36:22
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  07:00:30  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
Thanks, M'Lady and Sir Ed, for the Dwarvish lingo lesson. It answered my question, and more!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  15:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message
Has Ed ever shared with us how he got introduced to Dungeons & Dragons in the first place?

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  15:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Yes, there was a column in DRAGON years back ("First Quest," or am I misremembering the name?) and Ed did one of them on his introduction to D&D.
It began, as I recall:
"Play with me," she breathed . . .

A powerful piece of writing.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  16:57:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Hiya, Ed and lovely Lady Hooded One!

I'm adding yet another question to my ever-growing queue, and this is one that I think may be good for a lot of people...

One of the few high points in the FRCG is the amount of detail and such in the Returned Abeir section. It's quite obvious that that section of the book is pure Ed; his world-building is what makes that area usable.

It occurs to me that Returned Abeir could easily replace one of Toril's undescribed landmasses, rather than replacing something that may not be to everyone's liking but is a part of official canon. The shape isn't right, but since those other landmasses are mostly just blobby shapes on a map, I think that's easy enough to ignore.

However... I'd want to use it as Laerakond, and I'd want to use it in the pre-Sellplague Realms. So all the "Returned" aspects have to be tweaked. I'm thinking the Dawn Titans could be banished/exiled deities, perhaps even one of the groups of Seven Lost Gods. The missing part of the dragonborn kingdom is a bit harder, but maybe it could be an earthquake or the result of an awakened nastybad, perhaps even a Dawn Titan.

So, here's the question, friend Ed: if you had to make that continent work as part of the 1370-ish era, how would you do so?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ijkay
Seeker

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  17:21:50  Show Profile Send ijkay a Private Message
Greetings!

Having just had knee surgery to reconstruct my ACL I was wondering about surgery in the Realms. How advanced is it? Are any cities/nations known for specialities? Obviously in a magical world the more common method may be to seek help from the local temple or respresentative of your diety. Additionally are limb braces known in the Realms? I seem to remember lots of limb replacement (normal and magical) examples described in various resources. What I am curious about though are devices to overcome muscle/ligament/bone injuries or degradation (knee braces etc)that would allow one to continue to be active and proficient in a very physical profession (warrior, farmer etc.). Would the Church of Gond or other artificers produce such devices? How efficient and effective would they be?

Ian Franks

"So I thought to myself who gives a damn if all the jobs are gone, I'm going to be a Pirate on the River Saskatchewan!", The Arrogant Worms
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  17:41:53  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage  Send Fillow a Yahoo! Message Send Fillow a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ijkay

Would the Church of Gond or other artificers produce such devices? How efficient and effective would they be?

Is it not what we saw in Temple Hill ? Where Fendel, a gnomish tinker priest of Gond, build a hand in order to replace Corin's one which was cut in a battle.

I also remember a veterinary cabinet in The Empire of Shade - Anauroch. That's to say that if animals are subjects to surgery, it means that surgery "level" about humans should not be far away from the first one. no ?

No real interest about your question but we find a Knive kit for surgery (among other aims) in Aurora's catalogue

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  17:43:16  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barshevy

Has Ed ever shared with us how he got introduced to Dungeons & Dragons in the first place?

Bits and pieces. If you search through the older reply files, you'll find sections were Ed talks about some of his earliest D&D experiences.

I'd love to hear a flow-blown account, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13810 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  20:24:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

A powerful piece of writing.
If its the story I'm thinking of, it was indeed.

I get 'misty' just thinking about it.

Ed and my Ex-wife are the only two people that can get me to cry... and she needs a lawyer to do so.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  20:39:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<snip>and she needs a lawyer to do so.

I feel for ya, brother. Just caught a great joke on 'Burn Notice' last night:

"Wanna hear a funny story about my divorce?"
"Yeah."
"So do I."

Back on topic. I'd like to hear Ed's recounting of his first D&D game as well. I've heard many times about how Faerûn came about and how the rules fit the world pretty well, but not on the details of that first encounter.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  02:08:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I'm told that the first part of what I believe is a four-part interview with Ed (conducted by Jeremy Jones, a prof at Wofford) is up at the KOBOLD QUARTERLY website, as part of (ahem) "Ed Greenweek."
Geez, I was thinking of asking Parliament in Canada and Congress in the United States to create a national holiday in Ed's honour (after all, he creates WORLDS, yes?), but now someone's gone ahead and given him a whole WEEK.
It'll go to his head. Gasp - - the horror - - he might even break down and buy a suit!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  02:10:01  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Heh. One without a top hat and matching bustier and garters, you mean?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  02:11:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, that's what I mean. He's been the wrong size to borrow my bustier and garters for years . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  03:25:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Linky to the Ed interview

Linky to Part 2

Edit: Added Part 2 link. Thanks BB!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 27 May 2009 20:10:53
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  20:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Part 2 of the interview is up. (I mention this because the "linky" above goes to Part 1.) Ed being candid. Good stuff.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  20:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage  Send Fillow a Yahoo! Message Send Fillow a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elric

I haven’t been able to locate much information on the Cormyrian fortress of Castle Crag (other than a little information in the 2nd edition FR boxed set). Sadly, there was no entry in the Cyclopedia of the Realms from the original FR “grey box” set. I also checked Volo’s Guide to Cormyr but couldn’t find much information in this sourcebook either. I was wondering if you could provide me with some information on this structure (its appearance, the military strength housed within, commanding officer, etc.) circa 1357-1358 DR (pre-Time of Troubles)?

I saw no answer to this one from your two questionsand I do not know if Cormyr sourcebook is part of those you have already read.

So, I wanted to tell you that I saw few Castle Crag data in the Cormyr sourcebook (TSR9410). round one column p.24, 33, 34, 43, 56, and in the Major Cities' Statistics

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  10:20:47  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message
Part three of the Greenweek articles is up http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/article885.php
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000