Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  06:17:03  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Uzzy, as a librarian I will echo Ed's words (and he said it so well that I don't know if I can add anything)... it can be the most tedious or rewarding job in the world, and a lot depends on your co-workers, general working atmosphere, location, size, and so on. Of course, love of books and reading plus getting the degree is a good start, but it doesn't stop there -- you need to read *constantly* (and not just works from your preferred genre, but also what we call "required reading") and keep up with the current "clack" (both in libraries and publishing industry, e.g. by reading journals, lists, blogs and sites dedicated to literature, publishing and libraries).
All this requires adaptibility, speed-reading and personal sacrifices on your spare time.

You also need to know a bit about, well, pretty much everything, and even if you don't, you need to at least know how to search and identify the relevant sources where the information is to be found (e.g. the relevant titles in the library catalog or on the shelves or references/documents in an online database). A good librarian knows how to analyze people and interpret their questions and needs (for example, someone asking for a certain issue of a magazine might only want a single tidbit of information which might be found directly on the Internet). You need to think, read and analyze things quickly (analytical thinking also helps a lot with cataloguing ;)).

Also, these days you need good social skills as well, at least in most public libraries (in big libraries you *could* just apply for cataloging or closed stacks).

If you ask me, it's occasionally far more stressful than I could ever imagine before my studies, but most of the time it feels like my dream job.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  06:34:02  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
With a few word replacements, that sounds like a webmaster, but without the decent salary.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  10:17:21  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
I'll also chime in on the librarian issue, since my mum is a librarian. At least in Finland it doesn't pay very well (despite the fact that you have to study for a long time to become a librarian), and the libraries are also among the first to get the axe when authorities decide to save some money.
Dunno about hidebound, but according to my mother one problem is that librarians as a group are rather timid, and not good at roaring loudly in protest when budget cuts head their way. Of course, there are also plenty of good things about being a librarian. Otherwise my mother wouldn't be one, after all.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  15:08:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I have certain... fantasies... concerning Librarians....

And Elves and Dwarves are not involved in that particular fantasy (although a dwarf could be entertaining, to say the least).

Anyhow, I tried to pull it off (talk about pulling some major strings... I was up to renting a car...), but no can do on Gencon once again. Its my oldest boy's 21st birthday on the 13th of Aug, and we already had a week-long trip planned to Virginia.

Which I conveniently forgot about until reminded...

<sigh> There's always next year.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jun 2009 15:09:59
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  16:39:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Same here... Did you spend too much time watching the old Batman show when Batgirl was on like I did?
quote:

And Elves and Dwarves are not involved in that particular fantasy (although a dwarf could be entertaining, to say the least).

Anyhow, I tried to pull it off (talk about pulling some major strings... I was up to renting a car...), but no can do on Gencon once again. Its my oldest boy's 21st birthday on the 13th of Aug, and we already had a week-long trip planned to Virginia.

Which I conveniently forgot about until reminded...

My offer still stands if you want.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  17:34:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Hopefully, I'll see you there.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  22:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

Well, we need to do something about those fantasies... here's a picture of my former colleague -- enjoy!

http://irc-galleria.net/view.php?nick=Hui_hai&image_id=59858350

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  01:51:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring thee this time the words of Ed of the Greenwood in response to this, from Sage of Stars: ". . .Ed at that very same lunch made mention of three Realms novels he started, long ago, but never finished. Would he be willing to tell us where and when they were set, and who the protagonists were? Pleeeease?"
Ed replies:

Of course I'm willing. :} (Pause for obligatory THO double entendre.) Just so long as everyone understands these are fragmentary, unfinished, rather clumsy juvenalia; attempts at storytelling better left buried rather than "ready to go" novels that someone should rush into print, okay?

The first novel was to be a tale of Mirt getting deeper and deeper into mercantile scrapes with a hitherto-unknown-to-him cabal of sinister merchants, and Durnan finally going to his rescue. Waterdeep and Sword Coast dagger-in-alley intrigue.

The second novel was to be a Saint-style (the Leslie Charteris flippant rogue character, not a religious title) "rebel Waterdhavian noble" getting into lots of trouble amongst guilds, fellow nobles, and corrupt Palace courtiers, in Waterdeep.

The third novel was to be a young librarian lass in Neverwinter figuring out the hiding-place of long-hidden treasure by idly puzzling out what's in a particular book in the library she works in, almost getting murdered, and fleeing Neverwinter with some unlikely Mutt-and-Jeff style mercenaries (a smart-mouthed thief and a lumbering warrior, the originals of Craer and Hawkril in my Aglirta books) as opportunistic protectors. They go to Silverymoon, where the treasure is said to be hidden, and plunge headlong into some REAL intrigues (sinister elves, half-elves, and jaded/sophisticated upper crust spellcasters galore) there, becoming a truly-loyal-to-each-other team as the book progresses.

Those are tales I'll probably never write, now. On the other hand, you could bombard Wizards with demands for them, and perhaps, just perhaps . . . probably set more than a century after they were originally intended to be set . . .

So saith Ed. Who's probably kidding when he talks about bombarding Wizards. No, REALLY.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  02:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
The third novel was to be a young librarian lass in Neverwinter figuring out the hiding-place of long-hidden treasure by idly puzzling out what's in a particular book in the library she works in, almost getting murdered, and fleeing Neverwinter with some unlikely Mutt-and-Jeff style mercenaries (a smart-mouthed thief and a lumbering warrior, the originals of Craer and Hawkril in my Aglirta books) as opportunistic protectors. They go to Silverymoon, where the treasure is said to be hidden, and plunge headlong into some REAL intrigues (sinister elves, half-elves, and jaded/sophisticated upper crust spellcasters galore) there, becoming a truly-loyal-to-each-other team as the book progresses.

Reverse the genders of all three protagonists, and that could have been interesting.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  02:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Nice. Planning a return trip to Gen Con in 2010 George?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  04:16:09  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Well, we need to do something about those fantasies... here's a picture of my former colleague -- enjoy!

Hello, inopportunistic curiosity. I missed you so.

On the subject of librarians, what social class generally finds itself supplying them in the Realms? I'm kind of keeping certain libraries, such as the "real" Candlekeep, out of the questioning on this one. This would focus instead on libraries of the mundane, like old research journals and literature. Are the librarians of the Realms prone to particular personalities or natures, and is the vocation typically well-paid? What regions tend to have smaller, public-style libraries the most?

All the best,
Wolfram

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  05:51:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Nice. Planning a return trip to Gen Con in 2010 George?

I turn 40 next years and am "negotiating" regarding getting to GEN-CON as a birthday present. The decision will most likely revolve around GFC-issues and my spouse's generosity of spirit ... but here's hoping.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  09:58:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

quote:

We could also get him a DVD-box set of Sally (did they run that in Finland?).

On the topic of working as a librarian, I should also note that one thing I picked up in my two weeks of studying to become one (before I realised I needed to get away from schoolbooks for a while or go slightly bonkers) is that there's more money to be had from working as a corporate librarian than as a publicl sector one (though the public libraries seem like more rewarding work environments to me).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 25 Jun 2009 10:04:04
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  15:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
And having dated a lovely and spirited (that's politespeak for voracious and raring anywhere, anytime) lady who had worked in both public and corporate environments, I can echo that opinion; she said the same thing.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  19:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
Inspired by the post count in this Questions thread right now (1812 before I post this, and 1813 with this post, a reminder to me of something I studied in depth in my academic er, career: the 1812-1815 war between Canada and the USA, which Canada won [!]), I am moved to ask about warfare between Cormyr and Westgate, which has also been skirmishes and raids across a narrow body of water. Is it the presence of Sembia (as the opportunistic elephant in the room) and the damage to trading prosperity that has largely kept these two traditional antagonists from going at it, all-out, in recent times? Or are the leaders of both places wise enough to avoid open large-scale war (as opposed to afraid to/faced with sufficient disincentives to)?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  20:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Blueblade, did you mean to say this sometime lady partner of yours worked in public and corporate libraries, at various times? Or other work ("environments" covers a lot of ground)? Or did she work in BOTH corporate and public libraries (or something elses) at the same time?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  20:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. Sorry.
Yes, I meant to say that she'd worked in a public library (and took courses to upgrade her professional skills at the same time), then got a corporate librarian job, then later got "headhunted" back to a much higher position in a public library.
And from her own experiences, said much the same as Kajehase posted here.
But to add a little more Realms relevance to this: Ed and THO, are there "headhunting" organizations or individuals in large cities (or particular realms or regions) of the Realms?
[I mean "head hunting" as in the "find suitable skilled person and offer job" sense, not bounty hunting or assassination.]
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  00:01:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Does Amn have a national flag, symbol, heraldry, or 'colors'?

I'm asking this of Ed, but anyone (like Steven Schend) who may have an answer is more then welcome to pitch-in.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  02:09:50  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

quote:

We could also get him a DVD-box set of Sally (did they run that in Finland?).

On the topic of working as a librarian, I should also note that one thing I picked up in my two weeks of studying to become one (before I realised I needed to get away from schoolbooks for a while or go slightly bonkers) is that there's more money to be had from working as a corporate librarian than as a publicl sector one (though the public libraries seem like more rewarding work environments to me).

On top of my head I can't recall them ever showing Sally here. And it's true that you can't make a lot of money as a public librarian, and even in Helsinki (our capital city) you get paid the average salary at best. Private companies pay better, but it's not a stable job -- I remember three librarians I met who were working for a major company around here and really enjoyed their work... they all lost their jobs last year when the company decided their researchers should use databases and libraries themselves.

Even though the pay is not good, I personally like the stability and enjoy the work in public libraries.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  10:30:10  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Reverse the genders of all three protagonists, and that could have been interesting.

Or just make all of them women. As long as they are not all seven-sister-like hot babes. We need more strong women that are not stunningly beautiful, imo.

Talking about strong women: excepting some specific groups or cultures, the Realms are less gender-baised, right? Does that mean the boss of a crime syndicate, the hired mercenary, or the bully thug has equal chance of being male or female?
I am particularly interested in the gender 'demographics' of such type of groups in areas such as Cormyr, the Dragoncoast, and the Dalelands.

(Note: not that I do not already try to spread genders across the NPCs I use - barring some specifc groups - but it may help to instruct my authors)

Edited by - gomez on 26 Jun 2009 10:32:47
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  13:19:24  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by gomez
Or just make all of them women. As long as they are not all seven-sister-like hot babes. We need more strong women that are not stunningly beautiful, imo.

This! Heavens yes, very much this.

It seems far more acceptable for men to be less than attractive in fiction.

(I can get behind everything you said there, Gomez. )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  13:53:01  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
On the topic of librarians (and by extension, archivists, of which I am one), I'll echo Asgetrion. I'm in DC, and practically all of the positions here in both fields are contract-based. I have a friend who is (currently) a librarian for the US State Department, and he's said that his resume makes perfect sense to anyone in DC, but if he goes elsewhere, people look at it and say, "You were at this job for eight months, then you quit, at this job for two years, then you quit, this other job for three months, then you quit. What's your problem sticking with one job??" When in actual fact they were all contract positions (public, private, and NGO), where the money can run out at any moment.

Private librarians (and in this category I'll throw in Non-Governmental Organizations) do tend to pay better. They make up for it with being much less stable. For instance, I had a job that was a contract position and one morning my boss called all of us in and told us the money ran out that morning and this was all our last day. He was really sorry, but there was nothing he could do.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  15:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

We need more strong women that are not stunningly beautiful, imo.
Lady Lord Addee Ulphor of Shadowdale fits that description nicely I'd say.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  15:29:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone.
This time I bring the words of Ed in response to this query from gomez: "Talking about strong women: excepting some specific groups or cultures, the Realms are less gender-biased, right? Does that mean the boss of a crime syndicate, the hired mercenary, or the bully thug has equal chance of being male or female?
I am particularly interested in the gender 'demographics' of such type of groups in areas such as Cormyr, the Dragoncoast, and the Dalelands."
Ed replies:

Hi, gomez. Well, most bully thugs tend to be male just because there are more large, lumbering, upper-body-strong males than females (due to mothers feeding their children more and better food than they themselves eat, and girl children often marrying young and turning into more relatively-underfed mothers), but the boss of a gang of thugs is just as likely to be female as male (chief qualification being so smart and swift-witted that the other thugs respect you and believe your brains will net them better lives than if they operated alone), but for most other professions, there IS almost no gender bias. In my version of the Realms, anyway. Again, most female mercenaries specialize in thrown knives, hand crossbows, darts, or bows of various sorts, and javelins or spears, rather than "hack toe to toe" weapons - - but that doesn't make them any less effective as mercenaries.
There will be a few women in positions of power who ARE very beautiful, and trade on this - - just as there are handsome men who trade on their looks, too. Several crime bosses in Tethyr are beautiful and cling to a naive, innocent, "sweet" act, garb, and looks - - until the time comes for them to reveal their true selves (usually swiftly and bloodily).
And yes, if you read my Realms novels, you'll find quite a few instances of women who aren't physically stunning (though some of these know quite well how to be attractive, by force of personality or flirtatiousness or other wiles, when it suits them to be). Meaning: a DM running an adventure (or a designer crafting one) can by all means use the female foe of PCs who acts demure or weak or in need of their protection until the best moment arrives to turn on the PCs. In the Realms, women may be inexperienced or misinformed, but they are NOT stupid.
The published Realms, particularly in its art, has tended to focus on the stereotypical scantily-clad female who's either a femme fatale or a submissive "on display" female, but that's not the Realms you'll encounter in my play sessions.
As the gruff veteran Purple Dragon advice hath it: "If you're captured, lad, DON'T let them give you to the women." :}

So saith Ed. Who believes this in life as well as in the Realms, folks. He loves to flirt, but he considers it flirting with EQUALS, and not toying with a succession of easily-fooled women who will become conquests. Trust me; I've known Ed for some forty years now.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  16:05:03  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message
Ed, I have a question from another thread which I'll just repost here - -

quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

Now, before we get too far, I know and appreciate the info about Realms and real world comparisons. This isn't really about all that. I just need some help for an upcoming part of my Rashemen campaign.

As it stands now, I don't have much time to write-up any specific info on a few of the places in the NE Realms that my PCs will be visiting. Places like the Great Glacier, Sossal, Vaasa, and Narfell. So I thought I'd cheat for the time being, and scour some real-world sources for info that I could spend a few minutes tweaking in order to make it feel "Realmsian."

Which brings me to this post. What real-world locations would you associate with the Realms of the Great Glacier, Sossal, Narfell, and Vaasa? Any history/cultural sites would be a plus. But I'm really just looking for suggestions from the posters here at the 'Keep. What real-world places do you see as best reflecting the Realms locations I asked about?

Thanks in advance.

Can you help me with this?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  17:06:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
D-brane, in order to assist Ed further, I'm including this next post you made about what you're looking for exactly, in terms of comparisons.

Ed/THO, consider this part of D-brane's above post:-
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

Thanks Ashe. That helps.

But to be a little clearer, I'm actually looking for the medieval-equivalent of these Realms locations. Kind of what like Ed originally did when he was working on the core Realms areas.

And I'll go ask Ed as well. Thanks again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  17:34:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
One example of a strong-yet-unattractive 'powerful' female I can think of off is Blentra Whaelbuckler, "a local eccentric of prodigous girth and strength". She owns the best restaurant in Marsember, and is a covert Harper Agent. For a visual, I picture that woman that Hagrid fell in love with in the Harry Potter movie Goblet of Fire, and like that character, I would swear she had some giantish or Ogre-blood running through her veins.

There's a picture of her on pg.46 of Volo's Guide to Cormyr, tossing a grown man through the air like sack of potatoes!

But like the 'incredibly beautiful' atypical NPCs, she still stands-out. The majority of Harper Agents (and the sneakiest because of it) are the ones who look nondescript - neither ugly or attractive, who are able to easilly blend into any crowd.

We only see the 'unnusual' ones depicted in Realms-art, because fantasy artists prefer to depict that type of female/male, and that's what 'sells'. For every one of those, there are a hundred we never see.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jun 2009 17:37:14
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  19:17:05  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
(SNIP)

We only see the 'unnusual' ones depicted in Realms-art, because fantasy artists prefer to depict that type of female/male, and that's what 'sells'. For every one of those, there are a hundred we never see.

I've always thought the same thing: Most of the fantasy art 'bias' toward beautiful, scantily-clad women, and ruggedly handsome, mighty-thewed men was for 2 reasons: 1) They catch the eye, and since that's the whole point to a book jacket, that's what the artists are paid to do, and probably even more so 2) How much easier is it to draw/paint/etc attractive, striking, distinctive people than ordinary, nondescript ones? Not being an artist myself, I don't know, but it seems to me that having outstanding features to depict is probably quite a lot simpler than the reverse.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  02:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi, D-brane.
Re. this: "But to be a little clearer, I'm actually looking for the medieval-equivalent of these Realms locations. Kind of what like Ed originally did when he was working on the core Realms areas."

As Ed and others have told us many times, this is exactly what Ed DIDN'T do when creating the Realms. It was TSR that bolted "real world equivalents" onto Ed's fantasy Realms, not Ed.

Now, I do recall Ed accessing photographs of real-world topography in the past to tell TSR artists and some gamers, "Region X of the Realms looks like Photo A in topography, but with foliage like Photo B."

THO will correct me, i'm sure, if I'm wrong on this.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  05:08:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hi, D-brane.
Re. this: "But to be a little clearer, I'm actually looking for the medieval-equivalent of these Realms locations. Kind of what like Ed originally did when he was working on the core Realms areas."

As Ed and others have told us many times, this is exactly what Ed DIDN'T do when creating the Realms. It was TSR that bolted "real world equivalents" onto Ed's fantasy Realms, not Ed.

Now, I do recall Ed accessing photographs of real-world topography in the past to tell TSR artists and some gamers, "Region X of the Realms looks like Photo A in topography, but with foliage like Photo B."

THO will correct me, i'm sure, if I'm wrong on this.
BB

Indeed. And both Ed and the Lady Hooded One have discussed this at length in previous replies here at Candlekeep.

They're required reading D-brane, especially if you're looking for assistance in fleshing out your own home Realms campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000