Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  05:10:29  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Hello again! I've been doing some research on Realms gnomes, partly because I'm currently playing a rather, ah, intense member of the race here at the Keep, and I'm finding that the usual distressing lack of information about the Forgotten Folk has extended to the Ask Ed threads. So my question is more along the lines of a plea: tell us something of the gnomes, please!

What, exactly, I leave entirely up to Ed. A gnomish kingdom or clan home, a battle, local lore they tell around mugs at their taverns (or jokes they tell at the big folks' expense), some famous gnomes active in the 1360's DR, whatever comes to mind. The gnomes have been sadly neglected, and I'd like to use this thread to prod a bit more info about them out into the open, if I might. Thanks!

Don't try, Hoondatha... I've tried so many times to extract gnomish info from Ed, to no avail. It's like the Forgotten Folk made a pact with Ed, "You forget about ever seeing us, and we'll keep away from your lawn," or something like that...
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  05:13:17  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Ed just replied to me re. that last question, from Malcolm:

Yes, I have read and very much enjoyed THE GREAT BEYOND. Todd Stewart did a great job, and produced what a completist might call "a great beginning" because it's not long enough. Yet you know and I know that the writer/designer doesn't get to choose the length/wordcount of a book; he could just go into more depth here and there if he wanted to, because the pages to do that just aren't there.
VERY little tinkering is necessary to use THE GREAT BEYOND in the Realms (depending on how much you use or apply the REALMSPACE sourcebook in your campaign).

Great work, Shemmy! Thank you!

*GRIN*

I am seriously, seriously honored and flattered to hear that from Ed. Wow. :D I'm going to be grinning all week.

As for the book's length, trust me, I could have written it four times its published length if I'd had the word-limit to do so. As it stands, around 18k words were chopped out to fit under that limit, though some of it has worked its way into other material by Paizo, and may very well appear in later stuff as well.

Ed just complimented something I wrote. *glee*

Todd

I'm glad Ed recognizes the masterpiece that is THE GREAT BEYOND. Never again, whether be it a Realms or Golarion campaign, will I use any other cosmology. THE GREAT BEYOND cosmology structure was built with thought and attention to detail. It is beautiful.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 22 Jun 2009 05:14:12
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  05:40:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Hello again! I've been doing some research on Realms gnomes, partly because I'm currently playing a rather, ah, intense member of the race here at the Keep, and I'm finding that the usual distressing lack of information about the Forgotten Folk has extended to the Ask Ed threads. So my question is more along the lines of a plea: tell us something of the gnomes, please!

What, exactly, I leave entirely up to Ed. A gnomish kingdom or clan home, a battle, local lore they tell around mugs at their taverns (or jokes they tell at the big folks' expense), some famous gnomes active in the 1360's DR, whatever comes to mind. The gnomes have been sadly neglected, and I'd like to use this thread to prod a bit more info about them out into the open, if I might. Thanks!

Don't try, Hoondatha... I've tried so many times to extract gnomish info from Ed, to no avail. It's like the Forgotten Folk made a pact with Ed, "You forget about ever seeing us, and we'll keep away from your lawn," or something like that...

From what the Lovely Lady has told us about Ed's lawn, maybe the pact was that they'd make sure to keep an eye on his lawn...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  15:29:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Although I think Forest Gnomes would already have a kinship with someone named Greenwood.

Maybe Ed's a Gnome with a hyperactive thyroid, and doesn't want to 'spill the beans' on his brethren.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jun 2009 15:30:06
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  16:32:54  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

...the common folk know that doctrine and faith colour everything a priest says, and as a result take what priests say with (our saying, not a Realms saying) a pinch of salt.

So what is the Realms saying?

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  16:42:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Today I'm back over in the Akanamere region, as per This Thread, and the question came up whether or not "The Blade Kingdoms" name came from Ed. Most folks thought it was created by Paul Kidd for his novel, but I pointed-out that it appeared on the Vilhon Reach map first (making me think it was Ed's).

Also, the name sounds very Realmsish (and Ed does have a thing for the word 'Blade'), which lends a wee bit of credence to my theory that it was an Ed-original, that later went in a direction it shouldn't have.

Anything at all he can share about those kingdoms, the Akanamere in general, and whether the name was his concept?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jun 2009 16:56:37
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  19:36:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Markustay, there's a specific NDA in place about that area. I'll have to check with Ed to see if there's any wiggle room in it yet.
I believe that the name "The Blade Kingdoms" is Ed's, though. Just going by the timing of when we first heard it mentioned (the Kidd novel came three or four years later).
BTW, Ed is REALLY busy again, but will be sending me a lore reply later today. And I will again try to weasel some of his gnome lore out of him.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  00:00:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
As promised, I bring a reply from Ed, this time to Blueblade's query: "Dear Ed and THO, BA's question spurs me to ask a somewhat related one: if I somehow magically dropped by Ed's house some night when he had leisure time (if that ever happens!) and he has family or friends over who aren't gamers, and they want to play a game (not FRP, but a board game or card game of some sort), what does Ed most often drag out? Or is likely to suggest? Thanks! BB"
Ed replies:

I'm afraid this is going to have to be one of those "it depends" answers. As in: it depends on the family or friends (age, interests, attention span, et al).
It might be some simple card games like WATER WORKS or (for young ladies) HORSE SHOW, or classics like SCRABBLE or CHESS, or fun games like ELEFANT HUNT or SNIT'S REVENGE or AWFUL GREEN THINGS FROM OUTER SPACE or LORD OF THE FRIES, or gamers' classics like DIPLOMACY or KINGMAKER or OGRE or the original release of ARKHAM HORROR...or it might be a variant like "Spy" (played with a CLUE boardgame). In short, just about anything fairly fun, simple, fast-playing, and visual (as in: the board is the centre of attention, so non-gamers can be helped to "see" what's going on. Even good old games like PIRATE & TRAVELLER, or SPI classics like WINTER WAR, have seen yeoman service; ask anyone who visits my cottage what sort of game library is sitting there, and you'll get the idea. I also like wacky games like EXPLODING COWS and THE ENEMY CHOCOLATIER, and "builder" games like RAIL BARON. I even like flawed designs like DIVINE RIGHT, because I don't care who wins; it's having fun playing that matters. Some of my friends even like to play solitaire tactical games like BATTLE OF BRITAIN (the West End Games game of this title), with the rest of us occasionally stepping in to do a "blind" German move (not looking at the player's resources and position when we make it). MILLES BORNE, even Crokinole, GLOOM, many of the Cheapass Games releases . . . oh, we might pull out almost anything.

So saith Ed. And it's true, too. Just don't expect Ed to remember all the rules or play aggressively to win. He just likes to play. At chess, I've seen him lose to young kids but beat grandmasters.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  00:53:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Water Works and Mille Borne... I've played those games, and rather enjoyed them, but not for a long time!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  01:01:04  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

A thought popped into my head this morning, as they sometimes do (), and I was wondering if Ed could shed any light on some famous (or infamous) "Physical Adept" style wizards/sorcerers/bards/druids/clerics of the Realms.

By physical adept, I mean a spell caster who specializes in magically enhancing his or her own body and skills, rather than flashy or showy spells that blast.

I'm sure they run the full gamut, from people blessed with good physical ability as well as intellect/wisdom, to those who start off being weak physically, but use their magic to compensate. I imagine also that there would be more than a few who would venerate Lathander (given he is the god of self-perfection and athletics).

To narrow this down somewhat, I'm more interested in the arcane casters, as divine casters seem to have it far easier when buffing their own bodies by comparison (at least by comparing the spell lists of clerics/druids to wizards/sorcerers/bards, anyway).

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  01:33:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Markustay, there's a specific NDA in place about that area. I'll have to check with Ed to see if there's any wiggle room in it yet.
I believe that the name "The Blade Kingdoms" is Ed's, though. Just going by the timing of when we first heard it mentioned (the Kidd novel came three or four years later).
Interesting. I had a feeling this would likely the case, as I recall a similar discussion where Ed outlined some of his original campaign ideas for the region.

The NDA is particularly welcome news for me, as I've often had my own ideas about further developing the Akanamere and Blade Kingdoms region.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  03:27:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Markustay, Ed says: Not much wiggle room at all, no. However, if you're coming to GenCon, let's find each other - - and talk.

Zandilar, great question, and off to Ed it goes. In the home Realms campaign we've met quite a few wizards who've enhanced their senses (smell, hearing, or expanded "wild talents" like detect magic or detect life in a limited range around them) so as to earn mundane (i.e. non-adventuring) livings. Wizards who can identify spices and their intensity/quality by smell, identify molds, that sort of thing; they "hire out" in large cities earning small but steady daily sums identifying and grading wares, for fees.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  17:07:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ack!

A personal invitation from Ed for a 'secret' conversation?

Hmmmmmm... I didn't think I'd make Gencon this year, but where there's a will, there's a way...

I guess I'll have to sell my soul...... again...

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jun 2009 17:08:59
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  17:17:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Heh... I could be your 'point person' if you want MT. I'll be there and have a phone... set up a nice little conference call.

I promise I won't take many notes!!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  18:06:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
LOL - I'm already way past the initial 'how to get there' phase, and am now trying to figure-out where to get one of those mini-recorders.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  18:07:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
I have a recorder on my phone. If that's not enough, I'll have my laptop with me... (Desperately wants to just sit in)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  19:25:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'll wear a trenchcoat, and hide in the shadows, and use the code-name 'Deep Spawn'.

We'll meet in an underdark parking garage....

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jun 2009 19:26:00
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  19:33:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, good. I'll be the one on my knees, wearing just a dangerous smile.
When we're done, I'll take you to Ed...

love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 23 Jun 2009 20:38:22
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  20:17:04  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I'll be in th shadows, holding your coat... for when you get cold. Well, I'll probably forget the coat. But I'll get you warm in other ways.

Moving back into the real world, maybe we can all get together and buy Ed (and the lovely lady, if her schedule allows her) a meal? I know Ed is probably busy with 100 different meetings, but still... if we dib him before anyone else can (yeah we are probably six months too late for that...).
Does Ed still have an evening he isn't swamped?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  20:51:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I'm afraid not. Ed gets "booked up" very quickly - - and even so, these last few GenCons he's done multiple brunches, lunches, and dinners on the same day. Not that he's complaining.
As for me: thanks to the nature of my employment, there are many years when I can't attend GenCon - - or I can at best "drop in" for an hour or so to give Ed a quick kiss and hug, peek at the art show, then move on...
Sigh.
And gomez, of COURSE you can. A girl never spurns assistance in scaling those peaks...
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 23 Jun 2009 20:52:28
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  21:09:57  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I was afraid of that... Maybe a midnight snack over a game? (After all, it is Gencon... Isn't he supposed to get game in?) I can possibly offer my hotel room as an alternate location if needed (I think... not sure about guest rules).

And I am sorry for you, lass. My work is likely not as exciting as yours (if I can draw any conclusions from the honey incident), but it does have the perk of choosing my own vacation days.
If you do find a few hours, dont forget to poke me so I can 'warm you up' for Ed ;)

Gomez,
persistence is futile...

Edited by - gomez on 23 Jun 2009 21:10:41
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  21:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Speaking as someone that often steals Ed for an hour when he can come GenCon time, I will tell you, from experience, that there is often not a spare moment in his day. [I will also share that I fully expect to steal some more time this year, Saer Greenwood, so be prepared!]

He has meetings, secret meetings, the requisite Realms seminars, meals, time with his wife (who must, of needs, also eat, and has rightful "dibs" on our beloved bard), more meetings, last-minute [b]super[b]-secret meetings, author signings, wooings by various companies that he's not currently working for, reminders from his friends that he needs to learn how to say "no," just once, and therefore earn a nap, repeat meals on the run so as not to offend those friends he is currently chatting with, and far, far too little time actually cruising the exhibit hall (I once had to steal my time by acting as Ed's escort as he picked up Galadriel and Arwen Lord of the Rings movie figurines for his granddaughter).

All that, and he needs to wrangle enough to sleep to do it all for three more days.

I still have no idea how he does it.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  23:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
So, this isn't a FR question, or even an RPG question, so if the mods want to say it's inappropriate for the thread, that's fine.

Ed, I've been looking at careers post University, and given my love of books and information in general, I've been considering becoming a Librarian. Given that you've talked on these threads about being a Librarian (at least part time) yourself, I was wondering if you had any advice about becoming one, what to look forward to, downsides and upsides of the job? Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  23:22:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Sleep?

What is this silly 'sleep' you speak of?

Why, in my day, we'd start gaming at college on a Friday night, and not fall asleep until late Sunday!

Besides, with THO around, who's going to want to go to sleep?

Now BED... thats a whole 'nother story.

Anyhow, I can only imagine how busy Ed will be... the fact that he thinks he'd be able to actually give me a few minutes of his time is very generous of him. Whether I make it there or not, I do indeed appreciate the gesture.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  00:31:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
This time I bring a swift reply from Ed to Uzzy, about being a librarian:

Hoo, boy. Uzzy, first off, I'm only superficially familiar (from touring libraries as a visitor and from some short 'shop talk' chats at cons, sometimes with people who were less than sober) with library service outside North America (I can only share HINTS re the UK, Sweden, Australia, and Germany). I'm quite familiar with libraries in Ontario, Canada (from a 34-year-and-counting career as a page, security guard, public service clerk, "unfrocked librarian" [the job title but not the degree; something that's actually quite common in small rural libraries where they can't pay for "real" librarians], library board member, and chair of a small rural library board) and somewhat familiar (as a sometime keynote speaker and guest author at the annual "big conventions" of OLA, CLA, and ALA (twice; these being, respectively: Ontario Library association annual conference, Canadian Library Association annual conference, and American Library Association a.c.).
So, here we go...
Library careers, except in upper management in large cities, are generally NOT well paid. If unionized, they can have good to decent benefits, but if you're looking to get rich, library work is probably not the field for you.
(On the other hand, it's generally indoors, and doesn't involve digging graves or ditches. Usually.)
Library work CAN be incredibly rewarding, if you genuinely love helping people (problem solving, connecting people to information they need, sharing favourite authors, mounting library programs, etc.). It can also require the patience of Job, particularly in large libraries where entrenched bureaucracies have developed; small-minded, vindictive, and even afflicted with Alzheimer's senior staffers can make your working life hell. Again, in some situations. Patience, accepting people as they are (and not as you'd like them to be, even just to qualify as "people"), and more patience are very useful job skills. One more thing: much of library work is routine, so if boredom is a problem for you - - again, another field might be preferable. For anyone creative who can mull over game design or fiction writing in the back of their head WITHOUT fellow staffers figuring out what you're doing, boredom usually won't be a problem - - but there have been more than a few library staffers who have found themselves fired or threatened or punished in various ways by vindictive superiors who discovered said staffers were also authors or game designers, and had the temerity to publish whilst employed by the library (there have even been library systems who have sued authors on the grounds that what they published while employed by the library belonged to the library - - or that the library should have creative control over what they published, to "maintain the library's image" or some such). On the other hand, some libraries are DELIGHTED to discover they have authors/creatives on staff, and regard it as a feather in their collective caps. I'm just putting the warning in your lap so you're aware of it before deciding.
Libraries differ greatly from place to place in what they do, and what their staff does. I have encountered a very high percentage of bad or incompetent managers in libraries (and in school boards and civil service jobs) because there doesn't seem to be the same pressure to improve such people or get rid of them (as compared to private corporations). On the other hand, I have encountered some of the nicest, most loyal, friendly, and intelligent and learned without being "lordly" about it people working in libraries, from student pages right up to chief librarians (or CEOs, or Directors, or whatever the local title is). Some of the nit-picking, "I don't think you put the semicolon in quite the right place in that catalogue record, dear" stuff involved in many library jobs evolves BECAUSE the rest of the job is so stable, well performed, and meeting service needs. In some inner city libraries, the "books on dusty old shelves" part of the job has almost entirely given way to an "Internet cafe with teens hanging out, drug deals going down, knives being pulled, cops being called AGAIN" atmosphere.
Again, things vary from place to place, and any job is as enjoyable as you work hard at making it - - and your co-workers work hard at making it for you and for them and for the public you serve.
There are also private, corporate, and school libraries, which are different yet again. I love library work, but it's not for everyone.
And always remember what Spider Robinson said: "Don't ever piss a librarian off: they CONTROL INFORMATION." :}

So saith Ed. Who can say more if others are interested or if you have more specific questions, Uzzy; just hurl 'em our way, okay?
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 Jun 2009 00:33:28
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  02:25:35  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. Apropos of those GenCon eats, I remember sitting in the Marriott lobby playing a boardgame with friends, and seeing Ed rush from Champions (the Marriott sports bar, where he'd been at a table with staffers of a certain game company) across the hotel lobby to the Circle City Bar & Grill (the 'upscale' Marriott resto, where he had a dinner date with one of his New York publishers), stopping for a moment to chat with Bob Salvatore and his wife in the bar lounge area . . . and about an hour later reappearing from the Circle City and rushing back out into the lobby to rendezvous with Wizards staffers to catch a taxi to another eatery for a WotC dinner . . . then arriving back to sit down with some friends who were waiting for him in the bar lounge.
So, THO, does Ed gain about twenty pounds each GenCon? Or does he sweat it all off, rushing around like a looney to get to all of these places?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  02:31:42  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
My turn to "Heh."
A kindly word of GenCon advice, for those thinking of sitting and chatting with Ed: DON'T ever, ever try to drink the man under a table. In recent years, he usually has only two drinks or so of an evening, but I once attended a publisher's "liquid lunch" where a certain (New York book, not game) publisher, and that publisher's contracts lawyer, tried to get Ed drunk to twist his arm on some book contract terms.
Ed just sat there smiling and emptying every drink they brought him. They were reeling in a few hours, and Ed was . . . getting amused at their attempts to get him inebriated. Much to the delight of the rest of us.
Now to keep this Realms-relevant, Ed at that very same lunch made mention of three Realms novels he started, long ago, but never finished. Would he be willing to tell us where and when they were set, and who the protagonists were? Pleeeease?
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  03:34:26  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Interesting. I had a feeling this would likely the case, as I recall a similar discussion where Ed outlined some of his original campaign ideas for the region.

The NDA is particularly welcome news for me, as I've often had my own ideas about further developing the Akanamere and Blade Kingdoms region.

Is there a transcript/archive I can read of this discussion where Ed mentioned his original ideas for the region?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  04:28:32  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I was studying to be a librarian myself when the course changed from Social Science to Business... Subjects like Psychology became Macro Economics, and Accounting. So, I dropped out.

Reading that makes me glad things turned out the way they did. I honestly don't think being a librarian was the career for me.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 24 Jun 2009 04:33:51
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  05:47:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Is there a transcript/archive I can read of this discussion where Ed mentioned his original ideas for the region?

I'm sure it's somewhere in the "So Saith Ed" archives, as that's where I remember reading it [I think it was taken from the REALMS-L]. I'll have check for it myself.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000