Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  16:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
I find it so very distasteful that many of today's 'celebrities' (and I use that term loosely) like to 'Twitter' <vomit> about every little thing happening in their lives, as it happens.

I'm in complete agreement with you there.

Truthfully, I did suspect the answer would be a combination of both: He doesn't have enough time to actually put it on the web, and he feels his private life should remain private.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

bradhunter
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  18:17:30  Show Profile  Visit bradhunter's Homepage Send bradhunter a Private Message
Hello Ed,

I'd like to start off simply saying, "Thanks." I've played in the Realms off and on since the 80's and have always enjoyed it.

My questions come from my playtime in the new Living Forgotten Realms campaign. I'm not sure what, if any, connection you have with the RPGA, but my questions are strictly lore, so I hope you can help.

LFR allows a variety of monster races as PCs, namely gnoll, minotaur, and orcs (with a reward card.) Are there any examples of heroic members of these races that exist in your notes? It would be nice to have a few positive examples that a player could use as reference or even work into their backgrounds to support being "good" members of a typically evil race.

Warforged are now walking the Realms, as well. Since these were an Eberron race, a Dragon article explained how we could fit these into the setting. However, I was hoping you might shed some light on countries and cabals, historical or current, that might have created living constructs. Any notable constructs that were living/sentient/both?

The Dhampyr were introduced earlier this year as a bloodline. Do you have any "half-vampire" figures, individuals or even families/bloodlines of note? What would the stance of the Church of Kelemvor be on these creatures? They are not undead or unaging, but they do have vampiric blood and can feed on the living to heal.

Lastly, we have a race called Revenants coming up. It looks like this might cause a bit of a stir, with players of Kelemvorites seated at a table with a Revenant player. Can you think of any reason a member of that faith would work with an undead creature instead of outright destroying it? Any notable lore exceptions where the church ignored, or even allowed, the continued existance of an undead creature?

Thanks in advance for any response you may give. A lot of players don't bother worrying about the lore of the world or the background of their characters, but I'd love to find any way to make these things fit better in the Realms at least for my characters, friends and some local gamers.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  18:47:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
bradhunter, Ed will be providing some details of heroes of the "monster" races (he's named a few already earlier in this year's iteration of this thread). Ed is a Charter Life Member of the RPGA, and is quietly working behind the scenes with at least two regional groups (that is, the gents and ladies who write the adventures for an area of the Realms) that I know of. Your questions have been sent off to him, and hopefully we'll soon see answers.
Menelvagor and Markustay, it's really a function of time; Ed holds down several jobs, and could spend all his waking hours NOT writing or designing, if he let himself be lured into all the distractions. Two of the organizations he works for (or with) have strict rules re. what should be self-posted on the Net to help prevent identity theft, and as Ed will tell you (as he replied to a library director re. why he didn't blog and livejournal):

I find my life incredibly interesting, but that's because I'm living it. :}
That is, I'm learning and researching and creating and mulling over stuff. Yet the daily humdrum stuff is just that: daily and humdrum. Why should anyone else CARE? I'm just not that self-centered, I guess. I suppose I could and should self-promote, but many of the writers who do that manage to produce about a book a year. Why not use that time to do FIVE books a year - - (as I, instead, do)? Yes, I may kill more trees, but I'm also getting better as a writer - - and I might get run over by a truck tomorrow, and then it'll be a little too late to write the great books I might have gotten around to doing someday.

So saith Ed. Who also, as cribes here know well, spends a little time almost every day writing something for us, here.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  19:31:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bradhunter

Warforged are now walking the Realms, as well. Since these were an Eberron race, a Dragon article explained how we could fit these into the setting. However, I was hoping you might shed some light on countries and cabals, historical or current, that might have created living constructs. Any notable constructs that were living/sentient/both?

I've been working on a couple of ideas for making warforged that have a uniquely Realms-based creation story... One of those ideas is still in development, and I'm hoping for Ed's input on the other idea (which is fully written up).

Page 42 of Halls of the High King said this about helmed horrors:

quote:
In some cases, however, the orders of a horror allow it autonomy in the absence of commands, or are simply silent on the subject of a Horror's freedom. If not specifically commanded to cease existence at the death or behest of their creator, horrors will continue operating until destroyed.

Some horrors have been encountered as bandits or adventurers. At least one horror, Aragus, leads a small caravan company operating out of Waterdeep. It communicates by writing, gestures, and (with its underlings) a tapping code. Other horrors have been found in groups, wandering the wilderlands or exploring old ruins. Horrors never seem to willingly fight other horrors.

When I read this, I asked Ed about Aragus. Here's his reply:

quote:
Hi again, all.
This time I bring some brief words of Ed in response to Wooly Rupert’s Helmed Horror queries: “That of course got me wondering (especially since I've always loved helmed horrors). Is Aragus still around? What are its goals? How is it treated by the folk of Waterdeep? What is its legal status (as in, is it considered a citizen, and if not, what rights does it have?)? Can helmed horrors gain levels or class abilities? And lastly, are there other noteworthy independent helmed horrors out there?”
and:
“And as an addendum to my previous helmed horror questions... Can they be created without the use of a corpse and/or the Doom of Bane spell?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly! Yes, Aragus is still around, but has “faked” its own destruction and is now keeping a low profile, with rooms it can hide out in, in both Dock Ward and North Ward, and using a hargaunt (see my current Knights trilogy of novels) to give it various lifelike “human face” masks.
Its goals remain mysterious (as in, both NDAs and my own unfolding campaign needs to remain silent apply). Most folk in Waterdeep consider Aragus to be “no more” (some Lords know better, but are keeping silent for their own reasons.
No, helmed horrors can’t gain levels or class abilities in the same way that PCs can. They CAN be augmented by wizards (and if playing 3e, insert applicable prestige classes here) of sufficient power and learning, so as to gain hit points, better attacks, particular abilities, etc.
Yes, there are other noteworthy Helmed Horrors active in the Realms right now (I have to check with certain mysterious WotC personages to see if some current NDAs prevent me from discussing two of the most famous/infamous, so I’ll return at some later date with more . . . or not).
And yes, there are several other methods of creating helmed horrors besides using a corpse or a Doom of Bane spell. Magic armor can be mated with a wraith (by means of the right sequence of spells), for one (and other undead can serve, to be “bound into” armor; even simple animated skeletons can be put into armor and spells used to create a crude facsimile of a helmed horror. Augmented battle horrors (the feather fall, dimension door, and magic missile-hurling variants, only “powered up” to do worse things) can be made by a variety of magical processes, and at least one priesthood (Gond’s) has been seeking to craft its own guardian helmed horrors through rituals and prayers (that is, divine magic only, with nary an arcane spell involved; BTW, they have done this thus far unsuccessfully).

So saith Ed.
And I’d like to add a personal postscript to dalor: certainly you can ask me things, and I’ll be quite happy to answer. I’ll probably post an answer to your question that Sage redirected here, tomorrow, but I must run now. The phone we nicknamed “the Bat Phone” years back is ringing, and that means urgent work . . .
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Jun 2009 19:31:42
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  21:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
And there have been quasi-vampires of various sorts in the D&D game since the first edition, and therefore in the Realms, too. I remember a "secret society" of them in Waterdeep in an early Ed-GenCon-run Realms adventure.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  01:34:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I remember a "secret society" of them in Waterdeep in an early Ed-GenCon-run Realms adventure.
I remember reading something about that on the REALMS-L. But that was a long time ago. Could either Ed or yourself provide some further details about this adventure?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  05:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Half and/or partial vampires have always bugged me.

Firstly, if the state of being a vampire is curse - how can you have someone who is only half cursed? Isn't that a bit like saying a woman is a little bit pregnant?

If the state of being a vampire is a disease, then you can't half way pass on a disease. That is like above, being a little bit pregnant.

If a woman is bitten by a vampire when she's pregnant, she dies. When she dies, so does the child she carries (because that's just how it works without medical intervention). And when she rises as a vampire, either the child inside her is still dead, or it too lives again but will be a full vampire, and will never be born because the woman's bodily functions no longer work in the same way. So no half or partial vampires there.

The only way this could work is if vampires are an actual race (which they're not in DnD, as they're a template you pop on top of a PC/NPC - the PC/NPC is still their race, but is also a vampire), and are both capable of impregnating someone and genetically compatible with humans (or whatever). A child born of a living member of <insert compatible race here> and a vampire would be a half vampire. This would only work with a male vampire and a female <insert race here>, since female vampires would most likely be incapable of having a child.

So, after all that extrapolation on my behalf, here's my question - Ed... How do half or partial vampires work in the Realms?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  07:34:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

The only way this could work is if vampires are an actual race (which they're not in DnD, as they're a template you pop on top of a PC/NPC - the PC/NPC is still their race, but is also a vampire), and are both capable of impregnating someone and genetically compatible with humans (or whatever). A child born of a living member of <insert compatible race here> and a vampire would be a half vampire. This would only work with a male vampire and a female <insert race here>, since female vampires would most likely be incapable of having a child.

Of course, with vampires being undead, it does beg the question of how well certain portions of the anatomy continue to function, if they function at all... This is a thought that crossed my mind when designing my own (now abandoned) half-vampire character.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  09:07:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
The concept of the dhampyr is a curious alternative. Brian James notes some particularly creative ideas in his "Playing Dhampyr" article from DRAGON #371.

In fact, I've always thought of Blade the Vampire Hunter [from Marvel Comics] as being somewhat akin to a dhampyr in D&D terms, given that his mother was bitten by a vampire [Deacon Frost] during Blade's birth. This resulted in Blade being born with certain quasi-vampiric traits, much like the classic interpretation of the dhampyr.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  15:40:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thinking of them as Necromungers - Half-dead - from The Chronoicles of Riddick movie is a possibility, although I usually think of Shades as being Necromungers (same concept, especially in 4e, since the Negative Plane got rolled into the Plane of Shadows)

In fact, now that I think about it... aren't half-vampires (Damphyrs) rather redundant with Shades? How many half-undead do we need in D&D?

Blade worked because he was unique, but if you were to create a 'race' of these, I'd go the Underworld route (where, apparently, Vampires cab stil have children).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Jun 2009 15:41:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  16:23:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thinking of them as Necromungers - Half-dead - from The Chronoicles of Riddick movie is a possibility, although I usually think of Shades as being Necromungers (same concept, especially in 4e, since the Negative Plane got rolled into the Plane of Shadows)
I initially wandered down that route of thought as well, until I started speculating on the possibility that CoR's "Underverse" was actually more like D&D's Far Realm. At which point, I began looking at the necromungers/necromongers as pseudo-natural-type half-dead entities.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  17:06:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. EdAppel, I have the pleasure to present the long-promised Elminster message to Alan, from Ed writing as Elminster:

To Alan,
From the hand of Elminster of Shadowdale,
This:

Word hath come to me lately of thy recent sojourn in durance vile.

I set down these few words not merely to congratulate thee on thy release, nor to hearten thee down the rest of thy days, but to extend the hand of friendship and let ye know that there are other wayfarers through life who honour thee and understand thee. The one I know as EdAppel, for one. Even when companionship cannot be directly seen or touched, thou art not alone.

Now that thou hast known a cage, and seen something of the darker sides behind the faces of thy fellow men, reflect: ye still live, and breathe, and are stronger for the experience.

Trite words, those, I know. Others have said them before, and no doubt they shall be said again. Yet a truth lies in them, for we are strengthened by every experience we survive. “Enriched” is the currently-popular word, I believe. We cannot help but be enriched, for a life is no more than a collection of experiences, and what their remembered colour and lessons lend to us as we face later experiences.

Think of thy life as a pathway ye are building through an unknown, mysterious, mist-shrouded land, a forest or jungle. Ye never know what lies ahead, and may even question why ye are making the journey. More than that, every flagstone ye set down has its cost to ye. Yet ye are on the path before ye truly know ye have begun it, just as all others are on their paths. Our paths may cross, or run together for days or months or years, yet in the end our path is - - must be - - our own. We all make choices, all the time, and some of them turn out to be mistakes, or less bright than other choices we might have made, yet the time of that particular choosing lies behind us, and we cannot go back.

So, in the end, we are left with three sorts of choices: to refuse to choose, and drift aimlessly, restless and accomplishing little and tasting more and more dissatisfaction; to choose recklessly, not really caring or letting anger rule us or the excitement of the moment and hurling aside judgment, consideration, and counsel; or to choose with thought and deliberation the route of our path, its way marked by choice after choice. The last way can be hard at times, yet also holds the most satisfaction, for however unwisely we choose, we at least have chosen, have taken some hand in deciding and shaping our life.

Ye did not choose that cage, nor the time spent there. Yet having tasted it, ye can draw from those memories and call on their teachings in thy time ahead. Ye can look back and take pride in surviving that dark time, and take it up like a bloodied and battered suit of armour, and say, “I wore this.” More than that: “I wore this, and lived to look back and gaze upon this armor. If ever I must put it on again, I will know what I am putting on - - and know that I can survive through it, for I have survived before.”

Not everyone lives that deeply, ever. Not everyone is tested and tempered in flame. The old warrior who has scars can be proud of them in a way that the naďve young maiden can preen in her beauty, but any pride she takes in it is empty and foolish, for it has cost her nothing, and so she knows not its price, and is not mindful of the weights of life. The darkness that makes warming flames all the brighter.

Hold on to those flames, and do not forget your time of imprisonment. Be as the bars that confined thee: patient, enduring, uncomplaining. If ye remember fear and anger, close thy hand around it and keep it safe and stored, ready to be a weapon when needed - - but wielded well, not foolishly, wildly, and to no good end.

Let it be thy inner flame, a flame that faileth not, until the day of thy passing - - and let that day be a long way off, after the deaths of all who put thee in the cage. Endure, outlast, and be stronger.

For it is the only good way to build thy path, and the best prize of the hard work of building.

Know quiet pride, and wise peace, Alan. Ye are not alone.

And ye do NOT lack armour, nor the respect of thy friends. Walk tall.

Until next,

Elminster of Shadowdale

Whooo. So saith Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  17:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Milady THO, I think you can answer this question without bothering Ed:

I used Maglor and his son as antagonists in my Eveningstar campaign years and years ago, and that prompted me to ask how common are apothecaries in the Realms, i.e. would smaller settings (anything smaller than a city) rather have herbalists than apothecarists? How often have you encountered them in the "Home" Realms?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  23:24:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Funny you should ask that.

I was just re-reading Realms of Infamy the past couple of days (scouring it for lore), and just last night I read a pretty good story about an Apothecary in a small Sembian town in that tome. He specialized in poisons (for an assassin), but his knowledge-base extended far beyond that, and he even had some substances from as far away as Wa.

The story was called And Wringing of Hands - I thought it was rather unique to have an apothecary as the main character.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  01:18:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi. Well, the answer to that would be: fairly often.
Almost every non-wilderness rural place has a herbalist or two (plus "old family remedies" everyone else knows, from farmers to foresters to shopkeepers), and "some" villages have an apothecary if they're on a trade route. Almost all market towns have an apothecary (and a "hedge wizard").
If a village NOT on a trade route has a shrine (as opposed to just a priest or hermit), the priest who tends the shrine often functions as an apothecary (to earn an income). If a shrine has two or three staffers (even if only one of them is a proper priest), an apothecary is likely to be on that staff.
We Knights encountered apothecaries many, many times. Some of us even killed several apothecaries during play (always for very good reasons, of course; tried to poison us, was a known Zhent spy who attacked us, et cetera).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  01:35:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I've got another two song-related questions from The Sword Never Sleeps. Heh.

The first is to do with Chapter 14:- '"I am haunted, truly haunted..." Semoor started to sing a well-known tavern song.'

And the next is from Chapter 17:- '"Black, black temper," he murmured the words of a currently popular ditty, seeking to divert himself.'

What more can you tell me about both songs?

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jun 2009 01:36:03
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  16:25:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

We Knights encountered apothecaries many, many times. Some of us even killed several apothecaries during play (always for very good reasons, of course; tried to poison us, was a known Zhent spy who attacked us, et cetera).
love,
THO

Ah, yes... I had forgotten about the Apothecary in Swords of Eveningstar...

And the story I mentioned earlier also featured a young woman who went to a priest who functioned as an apothecary, but the priest didn't have a certain herb, so she had to travel to the next village (where she encounters the main character).

Thus completely supporting THO's post above (not that there was any need to).

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jun 2009 16:26:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  16:46:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Oooh, Markustay, there are two features of mine that need constant support, if you're needing something to do with your hands . . .
Ahem.
Yet I post here now not to TITillate, but to bring Ed of the Greenwood's reply to The Sage in the matter of one of the songs he's asked about (Ed will, of course, answer them all in the fullness of time).
To whit, the "well-known tavern song" of Chapter 14 of THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS.
Here's Ed's reply:

The ballad in question, much sung in unison by melancholy tipplers all over the Western Heartlands and Sword Coast as far south as Calimshan, is:

HAUNTED

I am haunted, truly haunted, by deep need for some more drink
Oh, I am haunted, truly haunted, and given much to think
On ways and days so long gone
When I was a hero bright
A-saving the Realms from dusk to dawn
In many a ferocious fight
And lovers came and lovers went
So many now dead and dust
Sword-brothers all their blood I spent
In many dooms, so avenge I must
And I am haunted, truly haunted, by their faces in my dreams
Yes I am haunted, truly haunted, by their whispers and their screams
The dead they ride you long and hard
They steal all peace and precious sleep
And all my terrors they nightly guard
Through all contentment coldly creep
So I am haunted, truly haunted, by the things I have not done
Haunted, truly haunted, by the battles I’ve not yet won
I cannot rest, I cannot laze; O never idle, I
Am doomed to do cold bidding under moon and sun
Seasons chasing seasons until I avenge or striving die
So I am haunted, truly haunted, by deep need for much more drink
I am haunted, truly haunted, too tired to care or think
So pour me more, and sing of hope
That’s worn by someone else
For I am haunted, truly haunted, and just want to see some joy.

(The composer is anonymous, but was probably a bard of Tethyr, in the 1200s DR)

So saith Ed. Who will dredge up the other songs (lyrics, at least) from his notes as he has time to do so. Not that he intends to neglect other scribes' requests that have languished too long unanswered!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  17:20:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Yet I post here now not to TITillate...
Oh, but I so love titillation. Especially if you know where my weakest spot is.
quote:
... but to bring Ed of the Greenwood's reply to The Sage in the matter of one of the songs he's asked about (Ed will, of course, answer them all in the fullness of time).
That's neato Ed. And 'tis much appreciated. It'll be featuring in my campaign this coming weekend, I think. I might even arrange some possible sheet music to go along with it before then.

Good stuff. And thanks again to you both.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  20:02:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
So Ed, it's been mentioned on Paizo's boards that you've developed some NPCs for the Kingslayer adventure. Any comments?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  00:18:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Oooh, Markustay, there are two features of mine that need constant support, if you're needing something to do with your hands . . .
Ahem.
I'm always willing to lend a hand to a damsel in distress...

Just direct me to their proper placement and my apendages are yours, fair Lady.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jun 2009 00:19:10
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  03:28:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Why, THANK you, Markustay. Such a gentleman . . .
I need one of your hands here, and the other just over here. Now squeeze. Hard.
Don't do this to most females, mind you; it HURTS. I just happen to like this particular pain (yes, you can bite them, too; just don't bite chunks out of them; high school was many years ago for me . . .).
Ahem. Now, where were we?
Oh, yes.
Ashe, Ed says he really can't comment on Kingslayer yet; 'twouldn't be professional. Though notice that "yet."
Ed is still wrapped up in family matters, but is busy with a number of writing projects, about which he'll say more when publishers give him approval to do so.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  06:10:40  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
(yes, you can bite them, too; just don't bite chunks out of them; high school was many years ago for me . . .).

So it was ok to bite off chunks in high school? Me confused.
Of course I may be thinking of the wrong things and taking stuff too literally.

Gomez,
who is not much of a biter, but has a fairly flexible tongue

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  13:34:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
My thanks, lovely Hooded One. It's not the answer I was hoping for, but definitely the one I expected. Ah well, it never hurts to ask.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  15:08:01  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Ed & THO & all who might know stuff I don't. Do you have any lore/history on Myth Glaurach. Is there any truth to the rumour that it is built upon the ruins of Sharlarion??????????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  15:27:48  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message
Thanks THO and Ed!

My friend loved the message! He'll send you a message probably today... But he needs some time to write in english..

It really worth the wait.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  17:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I was wondering if Ed has had a chance to read THE GREAT BEYOND, the recent Paizo book by Todd Stewart (Shemmy on these boards) and what Ed thinks of it?
It seems to me as if it could easily be used with a Realms campaign, with very little tinkering - - but Ed, if YOU were DMing a Realms campaign, would you use it, and what tinkerings, if any, would you do?
If you'd rather not answer this, that's okay. I'm just curious. As usual.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  17:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. I'm thinking there are no questions Ed won't answer, though sometimes those answers may be invocations of the infamous NDA.
I, too, am curious about this.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  19:35:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed just replied to me re. that last question, from Malcolm:

Yes, I have read and very much enjoyed THE GREAT BEYOND. Todd Stewart did a great job, and produced what a completist might call "a great beginning" because it's not long enough. Yet you know and I know that the writer/designer doesn't get to choose the length/wordcount of a book; he could just go into more depth here and there if he wanted to, because the pages to do that just aren't there.
VERY little tinkering is necessary to use THE GREAT BEYOND in the Realms (depending on how much you use or apply the REALMSPACE sourcebook in your campaign). For me, personally, I'd not change my original detailing of the Nine Hells because players in my home campaign have journeyed in it with their characters too much to shift anything now (a substantial "play history" has been built up), nor abandon some of the little wrinkles Jeff Grubb and I worked on, back when the first MANUAL OF THE PLANES was being designed (because, again, certain home campaign maguffins are tied to those wrinkles; no, THO, I'm not going to let slip anything more on this, so give up on trying to purringly persuade me - - or no, don't give up on it, work harder on it, ahem). Most of the planar activity in the home Realms campaign is via gates to parallel Prime Material Planes (other fantasy worlds, and our own Earth), anyway.
So all in all, I really enjoyed the book, and really recommend it. I have a soft spot for planar lore (I really liked BEYOND COUNTLESS DOORWAYS from Malhavoc, too, though it would require far more rejiggering to use it with the Realms), but that also means I've taken a look at lots of versions of "all that lies beyond our world" and done substantial "official at the time" work on the D&D planes (the Hells, Limbo, et al), and have some basis upon which to judge THE GREAT BEYOND against other planar sourcebooks. Great work, Shemmy! Thank you!

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on to-be-published lore of his own, right now. Not to mention wrapping up the Sunburst judging today. Oh, and rummaging for more song lyrics to answer The Sage, too!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  19:42:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
So you have a "fairly flexible tongue," gomez? Good to know!
Let's just say that back in my high school days passion could overwhelm me so much that I didn't mind hard biting . . . until afterwards. Hard to explain those marks to doctors, family, school team athletic coaches, et al - - as anything other than just what they are. "I got mauled by a lunatic from the local asylum, but they pulled him off me"? Well, that might work ONCE. Back then.
Ahem.
Apropos of the Realms, Ed tells me that he's digging into the backlog of scribes' lore questions at last. Or will be, by late tonight.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000