Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  23:59:23  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Its in Swords of Dragonfire, where Manshoon, Khelben, and Elminster are all standing around
threatening each other. Also in the conversation is the mention of 39 Manshoon clones,
2 of which have had surgery on them to remove appendiges. Its at the very bottom of a left handed page in the paperback.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  01:25:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
Is there a concept of Physics in the Realms? Like, Gravity, or laws of motion? Are any laws of physics non-existent in the Realms because of the magic?

There are certainly theories and models of the cosmos, but they're going to be along the lines of natural philosophy rather than of the modern desouled physical sciences.

'The laws of physics' are one description of parts of the physical working of our universe. I don't think they apply to the subcreated sword-and-sorcery Forgotten Realms at all.

Indeed.

This doesn't, however, mean that the Realms doesn't have an entirely unique set of physical laws all its own -- as the Old Grey Box states:- "The physics of the Realms are slightly out of sync with the rest of the planes, so that gunpowder and many technological devices which operate on electronics do not function. Equivalent devices may be developed by player-characters. DM’s judgment is advised as to what may be allowed into the world." [DM's Sourcebook of the Realms pg. 9]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  01:31:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay, so I thought it time to I add to my ever-increasing backlog of questions for Ed. This one comes from Swords of Eveningstar, which I've been re-reading parts of recently.

Thus, Ed, on pg. 20 of the hardcover edition of the novel, when Delbossan and Florin part ways, you've written "In the words of the old song: 'Twas time to be taming the lady...'"

I'm just curious. What "old song" was that? Could you tell me anything more about it?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  03:08:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Baleful Avatar, a page back, said he needed some names quickly, so I plunged into Ed's notes. I'm afraid I haven't found the female given names yet, but for upland Cormyr, here are the most common male first names. If they have a popular diminutive, it's given in parentheses and quotation marks after the full formal name; if none's listed, there's no 'set' diminutive (and yes, there are a few where the diminutive doesn't match the formal name all that closely; these aren't mistakes).
I'll follow up with female names as soon as I can, but I'm afraid that will probably be late tomorrow . . .
Right. Here we go . . .

Brannon, Brennan ("Bran" or even "Bram"), Daerent ("Daer"), Garlin ("Garl"), Hargath ("Gath"), Ilmer, Jurusk ("Jusk"), Larthlan ("Larth"), Melsarl ("Sarl"), Naryk ("Nar"), Rorn, Rory, Sanraven, Sorbrar, Tellond ("Tuth"), Vornyn ("Vorn").

Note that these are rural upland names; when it comes to cities, they are common only in Arabel - - and if you start to include Purple Dragon garrisons (staffed by a mix of people from everywhere in the realm) or nobility and their households (again, from everywhere, but often of middle-class or "gentle" birth), the "common" names start to shift to some other names more popular in wealthier and more urban families.

So saith Ed (I've just done some light editing and linking up of sentences from different places in his notes, not real rewriting).
More when I can,
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Elric
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  06:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Elric's Homepage Send Elric a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by Elric

Hello Ed and THO,
My other question is in regards to the Moonshae Islands. I know that the published version of the Moonshaes isn’t the original version that you turned in to TSR. I recall reading a past post where you gave a description of what the original Moonshaes looked like (similar to the islands of Earthsea).Wizards posted a tie-in article to the Grand History of the Realms on their website awhile back that deals specifically with the history of the Moonshaes. It depicts what the Moonshaes looked like circa -11,000 DR. I was curious if this is what the original Moonshaes look like in your home campaign (I thought maybe they used your original version for this article)? Also, a quick question related to the Moonshaes, is the wizard Flamsterd and his island your creation and part of your original Moonshae Islands?

I apologize in advance if any of these questions have already been answered in previous posts.

Thanks very much for everything you do for us Realmsfans. It is greatly appreciated!

Hi Elric

Brian R James who wrote the article posted this response on another thread

"You are the first to comment on my homage to Ed's Earthsea-like Moonshaes. Well done. I never saw Ed's original map, so I hope it is a close approximation of his vision"

More on Flamsterd here (its a loooong Ed post, you need to scroll down about halfway)

Hope this helps

Damian

Thanks Damian (and to The Sage) for the replies to my question from a few days ago regarding the Moonshaes and Flamsterd.

I was truly hoping that they had used Ed’s original Moonshae Islands for the web enhancement. Like many fans, I would love to see what the Moonshae’s look like in Ed’s home campaign.

Elric
Go to Top of Page

Elric
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  06:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Elric's Homepage Send Elric a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:

I haven’t been able to locate much information on the Cormyrian fortress of Castle Crag (other than a little information in the 2nd edition FR boxed set). Sadly, there was no entry in the Cyclopedia of the Realms from the original FR “grey box” set. I also checked Volo’s Guide to Cormyr but couldn’t find much information in this sourcebook either. I was wondering if you could provide me with some information on this structure (its appearance, the military strength housed within, commanding officer, etc.) circa 1357-1358 DR (pre-Time of Troubles)?

I saw no answer to this one from your two questionsand I do not know if Cormyr sourcebook is part of those you have already read.

So, I wanted to tell you that I saw few Castle Crag data in the Cormyr sourcebook (TSR9410). round one column p.24, 33, 34, 43, 56, and in the Major Cities' Statistics

Hi Fillow, thanks for the reply.

I did check the Cormyr sourcebook that you mentioned (forgot to include that in my original post), but some of the information on Castle Crag was very similar to what was presented in the 2E FR boxed set. Was hoping to find out some info on what the castle was like prior to the ToT (around the time of the original grey box set). Although I realize from the author credits that Ed played a huge part in the 2E boxed set, I wasn’t sure if he did the write-up on Castle Crag or if it was the work of a different author. I thought perhaps Castle Crag may have been depicted differently in Ed’s campaign.

Again, I appreciate the info.

Elric
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  15:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Gelcur: yep, I'm my usual frisky self. Care to try me?

One of these days I will take you up on that offer. The question is should I take a number now?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  16:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message
quote:

Hi Fillow, thanks for the reply.

Was hoping to find out some info on what the castle was like prior to the ToT (around the time of the original grey box set). Although I realize from the author credits that Ed played a huge part in the 2E boxed set, I wasn’t sure if he did the write-up on Castle Crag or if it was the work of a different author. I thought perhaps Castle Crag may have been depicted differently in Ed’s campaign.

Again, I appreciate the info.

Elric

Sorry for this "missed" answer.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  17:27:44  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I understand that the city Tsornyl was destroyed by a Moander-related creature in 75 DR. The House of Tsornyl lost most of its members in that incident.

What was the basic status of the House in the later eras (specifically, 1340s-1350s).

I know the city was reduced to a village. Did the house regain any footing or does it eventually die out?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  18:07:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

I understand that the city Tsornyl was destroyed by a Moander-related creature in 75 DR. The House of Tsornyl lost most of its members in that incident.
Can you site a source for this?

Thanks - Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  18:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Can you site a source for this?

Thanks - Mark

About the incident, from the Grand History of the Realms
quote:
75DR - The deity Moander hurls his forces and the “creeping evil” against the elf village of Tsornyl, blighting much of the surrounding woods. The High Mages of Cormanthyr use their magic to sever the “creeping evil” from Moander and imprison the corruption at Tsornyl, weakening the Darkbringer’s presence in Toril.

And from the Volo's guide to the Dalelands :
quote:
The city of Tsornyl was blighted and corrupted beyond redemption and many of its inhabitants twisted into dark, monstrous races. However, the creeping evil Moander threw off to do this deed was severed from the god forever by a divine mighty countermagic that cost many bright elves their lives

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 04 Jun 2009 18:31:07
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  23:07:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Two things:
Elric, there are TWO Castle Crags: the "big" one in Cormyr, and the tiny ruined one in Shadowdale. There's a long behind-the-scenes story about these, but I can assure you Ed created them, and the original ("Old Gray") boxed set lore stuff (as opposed to the rules stuff like the hexes and movement/terrain details and comparison with a map of the USA, which is by Jeff Grubb) is almost entirely from Ed's pen; Jeff's main task was arranging Ed's stuff, deciding what to leave out to put into other products (such as FR1, FR4, FR5, FR6, etc. etc.), and deciding how to streamline and "shape" what was included to cover hard D&D game rules and to be in clear english without Ed's trademark digressions (because the use of "sidebars" wasn't yet common).
Ed detailed the Cormyrean fortress of Castle Crag extensively for the Avatar series of modules, and that map and description was then edited right out of the adventure to make more room for story. The result was a sort of "black hole" when it came to the Cormyrean Castle Crag (which is both a fortess and a thriving community around the fortress, but within an outer "curtain wall").
Ed can fill in this lore hole for you, I hope, in the fullness of time. It would probably take him years to find his maps, but the three-paragraph-or-so overview, the governing NPCs, and so on, should be far more readily accessible.
Re. the thrusk notes I posted recently; looking over them, Ed mentioned that his notes convey an incomplete impression re. the sustenance grazing: what he meant to say was that thrusk's strong taste makes it sustenance grazing, NOT PREFERRED GRAZING, for the listed beasts (they prefer sweeter grasses, and will avoid thrusk whenever they can get said grasses, leaving abundant thrusk for travelers to just yank up and use in brews).
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 04 Jun 2009 23:12:22
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  02:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Another question for the ever-growing pile.
Hats, both noble "showy" headgear and utilitarian keep-warm/keep-off-the-rain chapeaux: how are they customarily cared for (cleaned) and stored when not on the head? On pegs? Shelves? Wooden or other shaped "head" substitutes? All of the above? Do they ever get scented? Are hats usually "refurbished" after a few years, or discarded/handed down and new ones purchased?
Weird, yes, but I have an in-campaign reason for asking.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  02:31:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ooh, that's a fun question. Me likee.
Ahem.
Hi, all. As promised, here's my delving into Ed's notes for the most common upland rural Cormyrean female given names (with diminutives, if any, appearing in parentheses and quotation marks after the full, formal name). Bear in mind that these are the names borne by salt-of-the-earth farmers, carters, millers, and foresters, of the lowest incomes in the realm. As you move up the middle class, other names become more popular, and the list changes.

Argatha ("Gatha" or "Gath"), Baerla, Bremma, Claela or Claera, Dethra, Flarra ("Larra"), Haela, Hilbremma ("Bremma"), Imsra ("Issa"), Jalyth, Laritha ("Lara"), Maethe, Naneesa ("Neese"), Orarra, Orprelle ("Pel"), Parella ("Rella"), Sartranna ("Tana"), Tethyl, Umbra, Vaerl

So saith Ed, for this list is direct from his notes. And there you have it; go forth and name those goodwives!

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Tormtar
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  09:25:37  Show Profile  Visit Tormtar's Homepage Send Tormtar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

A player in my campaign raised this question: do the Gods and Goddesses of the Realms have associated stones (gems, semi-precious stones, etc), animals and/or plants that were commonly linked with them by their worshippers and, if so, could we be let in on a few for the larger faiths (Triad, Chauntea, etc, etc)? I’m assuming that Selune would be linked with Moonstone, for example.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  14:27:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tormtar

Dear Ed and THO,

A player in my campaign raised this question: do the Gods and Goddesses of the Realms have associated stones (gems, semi-precious stones, etc), animals and/or plants that were commonly linked with them by their worshippers and, if so, could we be let in on a few for the larger faiths (Triad, Chauntea, etc, etc)? I’m assuming that Selune would be linked with Moonstone, for example.

Thanks

Actually, most of this information is already out there. Check the books of the 2E deity trilogy (Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities). They contained a wealth of lore about the various deities of the Realms, their churches, and their followers. Those three books are the most informative sources of lore on the deities, and they are some of the best Realms products that we've ever had.

Selûne, for example... From page 135 of Faiths & Avatars:

quote:
Selûne often manifests as trails of dancing light motes known as "moondust" or "moon motes" that resemble will-o’-wisps. These guide folk who are lost at night or who must travel over treacherous ground; they also appear in order for her faithful to provide the light necessary to perform a delicate task. These moon motes may exude sparkling, glowing drops of pearly liquid — "drops fallen from the moon" — which Selûnite clergy gather and prize highly, using as an ingredient of power in many helpful potions and healing ointments. She also sends owls, weredragons, certain lycanthropes and shapechanging creatures, and the Shards to aid mortals or to show her favor or presence.

On page 137 it adds:
quote:
The ceremonial costume of Selûnites varies from place to place. Selûnite clergy members wear everything from plain brown robes to only a little moonstone jewelry as an accent to normal clothing to rich bejeweled gowns of the finest make and haughtiest fashion with enchanted, animate trains and capes and accompanying moonstone crowns.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  14:52:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I've another Swords of Eveningstar query, similar to what I asked yesterday.

Thus, on pg. 212 of the hardcover edition you've written "... and idly sang a snatch of a well-known ballad: 'Are you there listening, pretty nightbird? Pretty nightbird?'"

What ballad is this? And what can you tell me about it?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  16:08:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Tormtar and Wooly, I went straight to the notes I've made or Ed's given me (as a player) over the years to see if there was more there to augment those F&A passages Wooly quoted - - but discovered they were taken line-for-line from Ed's notes (F&A is built on Ed's copious churches and priesthoods writings).
Wooly's quite correct; almost all of what you're asking for, Tormtar, is already in published Realmslore.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  17:58:09  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Hooded,

A question for you - sort of.

Because I've been reviewing some Moander info (because after Pool of Radiance, I want to run Curse of the Azure Bonds), I'm noticing this more.

What role has Moander played in the Knights' campaigns? It seems like he has so many history points that he had to be important to both the central story and the outer lying story.

Just sort of wondering.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  18:27:14  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tormtar

Dear Ed and THO,

Thanks

go to the WotC site here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020504a and download the Deity Do's and Don'ts Web Enhancement... it has a whole section on the manifestations of the Faerûnian gods which appear in a series of tables starting on page 10 that cover animals, monsters, gems and precious metals, colors and finally misc that don't fall under the others. It's basically what was in the other sources compiled in one place...

Edited by - rjfras on 05 Jun 2009 18:28:53
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  18:39:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Rhewtani, Moander has been there, behind the scenes, throughout the Knights' careers. I don't think we've ever even SEEN him directly, let alone confronted him, but he works constantly behind our backs (what Ed called "the quiet creep of rot and decay") to attack walls and keeps and bridges and even burial markers everywhere, seeming to take dead aim at shaky or undermanned governments and lawkeepers, and "let in the jungle." He's particularly dangerous to dungeon-delvers because of cave-ins (roof of the dungeon falling to entomb you). Ed is very subtle about this; he always manages to avoid making players feel as if the DM (and all of the world-setting) is against them - - but repeatedly blindsides us with things cracking or falling when we didn't expect them to.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Jun 2009 23:42:03
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  23:41:10  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Rumors are beginning to percolate past my desk of a multi-book deal Ed has signed with Wizards. Is there anything either of you can say on this topic? Confirm, deny, details? Inquiring minds want to know . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  23:43:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I can say nothing at all, beyond the fact that I'm almost certain Ed's at work on another Realms novel. We'll have to see if Ed can elucidate further . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Tormtar
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  08:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Tormtar's Homepage Send Tormtar a Private Message
Thanks rjfras. Must have missed that one, I withdraw the question.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  17:37:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. I can say nothing at all, beyond the fact that I'm almost certain Ed's at work on another Realms novel.
Thats like saying the sky is blue.

When is Ed NOT working on the Realms in some fashion?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  19:14:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
This time I bring a reply from Ed to Wooly Rupert’s recent query: “Hiya, Ed and lovely Lady Hooded One!
I'm adding yet another question to my ever-growing queue, and this is one that I think may be good for a lot of people...
One of the few high points in the FRCG is the amount of detail and such in the Returned Abeir section. It's quite obvious that that section of the book is pure Ed; his world-building is what makes that area usable.
It occurs to me that Returned Abeir could easily replace one of Toril's undescribed landmasses, rather than replacing something that may not be to everyone's liking but is a part of official canon. The shape isn't right, but since those other landmasses are mostly just blobby shapes on a map, I think that's easy enough to ignore.
However... I'd want to use it as Laerakond, and I'd want to use it in the pre-Sellplague Realms. So all the "Returned" aspects have to be tweaked. I'm thinking the Dawn Titans could be banished/exiled deities, perhaps even one of the groups of Seven Lost Gods. The missing part of the dragonborn kingdom is a bit harder, but maybe it could be an earthquake or the result of an awakened nastybad, perhaps even a Dawn Titan.
So, here's the question, friend Ed: if you had to make that continent work as part of the 1370-ish era, how would you do so?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly! This is a great topic, and, yes, “Returned Abeir” can function just fine as a long-unseen continent of Toril circa 1350s through 1370s with almost no “foreground” changes - - that is, alterations to what mortal adventurers see around them and experience - - at all.
Returned Abeir becomes the identical continent of Laerakond, well southwest of Evermeet, that’s been isolated from direct contact with the distant continent of Faerûn because, yes, the Dawn Titans have been imprisoned there after a long-ago Godswar, behind a mighty Weave-warping divine magic enacted by the familiar Faerûnian gods we all know agreeing and working together (under the direction of Ao, if you use Ao in your campaign).
{If for some reason you want Mystra gone or diminished in your campaign, she could have sacrificed herself to BECOME this magic, retaining power and influence in Faerûn only through her Chosen and her church, as more and more of her divine energy was sapped, as the years passed, in binding and holding the Titans, who are increasingly able to devour it; see hereafter. Or perhaps, if you want to jettison Ao or specific deities from the published pantheon, they made this sacrifice.}
Even deities - - such as Mask, Bane, and Cyric - - who customarily cheat and manipulate to get their own ways in dealings with their fellow gods have no interest in working treachery on this particular deal among the gods, because the Titans, unleashed, are a direct and malicious threat to the gods of Faerûn and all their mortal worshippers. The Titans gain power not through worship, but by devouring souls and life-essence (godhood being their first and foremost desired meal). Letting the Titans go free would eventually mean no deities, and a Toril stripped of all life - - literally bare, windblown earth, with not a plant or beast left.
The Titans entered Realmspace through a rift inadvertently caused by the elven High Magic that cloaked Evermeet, stealing in through the “back door” so to speak, so their point of entry was “behind” (farther from Faerûn than) Evermeet. By chance, it was in the northern part of Laerakond.
Where dragons were already resident, and battling each other in struggles that had long ago reduced them to few in number and forced their conflicts into contests of etiquette, influence, strict rules, and fighting through proxies (lesser beasts, right down to their dragonborn slaves) - - lest their continuing struggles result in no food left for any dragon, or their destruction at the hands of the vastly less powerful but numerically far more numerous other races of Laerakond (such as the giants, humans, et al).
{For a hint of what this dragon society might have been like, recall the evil Skeksis of the DARK CRYSTAL, and also look to a certain contest introduced in the opening pages of the forthcoming - - and great - - Erin Evans novel THE GOD CATCHER, fifth in the ED GREENWOOD PRESENTS WATERDEEP series.}
The arrival of the Titans shattered this status quo and awakened savage battle among the dragons once more - - and the arrival of the deities of Faerûn, alerted by the shockwaves sent through the Weave by Titans hurling magic at dragons who presumed to defy them, and the subsequent battle between gods and Titans, destroyed much of Tymanther. The dragonborn won free of their dragon overlords, the dragons were reduced to a mere handful, much of Laerakond north of “The Snouts” (the capes projecting into the Dragon Sea east of Marrauk and southwest of Stormhelm) was left a magic-ravaged chaos (not lifeless, but a turmoil of destruction and raging wild magic and wild growth and mutation spawned by it, of monsters wandering the land and no order but that of fang and claw) . . . and the Titans were magically bound into stasis, in deep caverns blasted out beneath Fimbrul and Relmaur.
Where they remain to this day, already awake and scheming but unable to win free of their immobility, not daring to try anything too drastic - - like crashing their spell-chains against each other violently and repeatedly - - for fear of collapsing the caverns around them and perishing under the weight of the mountains above. Yet seeking to reach out and rule all Toril from their prisons, by means insidious. They managed much during the Time of Troubles, luring many creatures to them through dream-visions sent forth while the gods were walking Faerûn, and their power is increasing, as rumors spread in Laerakond lure more and more adventurers and power-seekers to them, to this day.

So we have a longtime inability to pass from Faerûn to Laerakond and vice versa, except through a few secret gates (portals), because the elves wanted Evermeet cloaked not just from Faerûn, but also from Laerakond, and for years used lesser magics to aid and abet the magical experimentations of the great ruling dragons of Laerakond.
The dragons were alarmed by some ships arriving at their shores (from Faerûn and elsewhere), and - - after enslaving the crews, from whom many of the humans of their continent are descended - - raised magical storms in the seas around Laerakond that made sailing to and from it foolishly perilous.
Which left legends in Faerûn of a lost land somewhere across the seas, a vast land of terrible dragons and great riches, that a few sailors found long ago, but that none can find today.

Until recently, if you the DM want it to. Perhaps the Time of Troubles, or the deaths and shifting portfolios and power alliances among the gods since (if you have had any of those happen in your campaign) or any of your own tinkerings with the pantheon, have weakened or ended the “storms at sea” zones, and a few intrepid seacaptains have voyaged between one continent to the other, and back. (Or not, if you prefer; I designed both the continents of Faerûn and Laerakond to function perfectly in isolation, each as a campaign setting.)

Note that none of this (the “what happened” ideas I advanced above) invalidates what’s written in the FRCG as “Abeir’s Past.” Those published words merely become the locally-accepted version of things; what most folk of Laerakond believe happened “before the days we know now.”

The Titans become the source of Shar’s recent success, if you want them to, and of the Shadow Weave, if you want to use it, and can even be the backers of Shade (the Princes may or may not be aware of this). They can also be the source of any monsters or cults you want to add to the Realms (even “don’t fit” elements, such as the dragon kings of DARK SUN or something from RUNEQUEST or another fantasy setting or game, that you just want to experiment with as “one-offs”), or hitherto-unknown links (portals) connecting the Realms with, say, Golarion, or Eberron, or the fictional settings of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE or the WHEEL OF TIME or the setting of the Eddings BELGARIAD and MALLOREON or whatever you’d prefer.
The point is that the Titans are bound, and although they may individually be too strong to destroy (and their destruction, akin to an atomic explosion of unprecedented proportions, may be too damaging to Toril to dare attempt), they dare not break free and act openly, because the gods will swarm them and imprison them again, in (already explicitly threatened) greater torment. So instead, they work through proxies, seeking to sew discontent and warfare and mistrust, to weaken rulers and order and increase violence and “the wild” right across the face of the Realms, by cults here and monster breedings there. Perhaps they are behind the deepspawn, or the rise of a beholder realm, or both. They are certainly behind cults, cabals, and attempted treason and usurpations everywhere, and seeking to subvert existing merchant costers, brotherhoods, and other established power groups (the Harper, from within? the War Wizards? the Red Wizards?).
And they are certainly behind expedition after expedition of adventurers, both duped “good” bands and grasping evildoers (or adventurers hired by power-seekers in Tarmalune and your choice of the cities and lands of southern Laerakond) into Relmaur and Fimbrul, seeking to find the deep cavern of this or that Titan, and physically free them. Perhaps the imprisoned Titans are aware of a way to substitute a captured dragon or wizard (or even some or all of the adventurers who are rescuing them) for themselves in the bindings, to prevent gods whose attentions are now elsewhere from knowing that a Titan has won free . . .
Ah, such delicious cans of worms, all opened up in a row before you. Your choice of which to partake of, and how much, and when.
Dig in! :}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and Laerakond and lots of crazy, sneaky, fun campaign ideas like this!
GREAT question, Wooly!
love to all,
THO

Edit: I fixed two of Ed's typos. Content otherwise unchanged.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 06 Jun 2009 22:42:56
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  19:53:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Oh. Em. Gee.

Thank you THO and Ed for that terrific bit of lore!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  20:41:01  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Great lore, indeed! Huzzah!
Though, Lady THO, apropos of your closing comment, I can't help but add:

Fried worms, anyone?

BB
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  20:59:04  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Alright. That was just cool. Thanks once again Ed and THO. I need to go High-Five someone.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  22:03:22  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message
High Five! Wow that was...wow! Talk about eating yourself out of house and home.

Shar!

Edited by - Nightseer on 06 Jun 2009 22:04:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000