Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  11:06:25  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
For the last two decades, three merchant families have run various shops and stalls near that gate, shifting around in terms of actual premises as rents (and their fortunes) have gone up and down.

Thank you both for the lovely lore (Cormyr thread updated)

Cheers

Damian
ps Best wishes to Jen

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 01 Jun 2009 11:09:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  17:12:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'm hoping to get a quick reply to this, because I am answering someone else's question over at the WotC boards, and want to make sure my info wasn't incorrect.

What part(s) of Golarion did Ed work on?

He is listed as one of the authors, but I'm not sure what he himself detailed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jun 2009 17:12:33
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  18:16:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Markustay. I'm not sure what the precise answer is, and I know Ed's at work on something set in Golarion for the future, but the short answer - - I can't consult with Ed just now, because I know I can't get hold of him - - is: the elves. Ed was handed a handful of paragraphs (all that had been set down as "the elves of Golarion") and asked to flesh it out into a culture and "character" for the race (not stats, but what elves are like, as a people). He did that, writing more text than would fit Paizo's immediate needs, as usual.
I can't tell you more than that, because that's all I know; I never saw what he was given or what he wrote, and have deduced this from passing comments and stuff I've noticed, as a professional snoop. He may well have written a lot more - - or not.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  18:58:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you for that quick reply, and if you don't mind, I will like to re-post that over at WotC for the people who have been wondering about this.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  22:23:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
By all means, Markustay. Just please preface it with a reminder that Ed hasn't told me ANY of this, explicitly; I've snooped and asked obliquely and put two and two together.
Which is why I can't be sure of the extent of Ed's Golarion work. Nor, not having seen his original text, can I tell you how much of what he wrote made it into the printed sourcebooks, and how much it was altered (or not).
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Jun 2009 22:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  23:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
Because Halruaa and Netheril have or have had skyships, the idea of "contraption" flight (as opposed to aerial steeds) must be well-known in the Realms. Are the Lantanna or anyone else at work, pre-Spellplague, on new or alternative flying machines? Gliders? Dirigibles/balloons?
There are even floating motes in the original Realms (the Temple In the Sky); has anyone tried (again, pre-Spellplague) to make "new" floating or flying fortresses?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  00:19:32  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I have a brief query about the etiquette, if any, of duels: are there usually "seconds"? A chance to fight to a lesser limit than death (first blood, or a fall, or some non-violent contest)? Are champions allowed? Hired champions? Deceptions regarding weapons? A "proper" size and nature of audience or duelling grounds?
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  00:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Ed and THO,
A quick campaign-related question: I want to have a PC find a painted portrait, of a person he doesn't know, but that he WILL know is "old" by the person's dress. Said person is a man of wealth, but not noble, depicted out-of-doors in a cloak, gloves, and a nice shirt and breeches, possibly with a sword scabbarded at his hip.
So . . . how can I, by the style/fashion of these new- and fine-looking clothes, make them obviously "old" by dating, so the PC will know this is long ago.
I guess what I'm asking is: how have styles of these sorts of clothes clearly and obviously changed over the last two centuries (pre-Spellplague)?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  00:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Dear THO,
Can you tell us if Ed is a "foodie" who eats at classy restaurants a lot, or is a chef (which I'm defining here as someone who creates their own dishes, often, and feels comfortable doing so because they're very familiar with the properties and tastes of foods), or makes wine or cheese or farms or something of the sort?
Or does he truly "make it all up" when writing as Volo the restaurant critic?
I've always been curious about this . . .
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  00:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have a need to quickly name about a dozen villagers/farmers for mid- to northern-Cormyr, just pre-Spellplague. Could you give us some "typical" or common first names, that a LOT of people would have, so they seem ordinary?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  00:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
What a great idea! I'd like to put in a very similar request to BA's, if I may, but I'd like human names of Laerakond/Returned Abeir, five or six male and five or six female first names.

Er, pre-Spellplague (when the continent was either on Abeir, far from Toril, or on Toril but incommunicado) OR post-Spellplague, Ed's choice.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  06:52:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Dear Ed and Lady THO,
Because Halruaa and Netheril have or have had skyships, the idea of "contraption" flight (as opposed to aerial steeds) must be well-known in the Realms. Are the Lantanna or anyone else at work, pre-Spellplague, on new or alternative flying machines? Gliders? Dirigibles/balloons?
Shou-Lung has been using Kites in a glider-like fashion since 1357 DR, and was experimenting with them for military applications (reconnaissance, ariel bombardnment, ect...)

Also, Elves and other humans have from time-to-time developed and tinkered-with flying ships, as per the 261 DR timeline entry in Ed's Athalantar article.

A dirigible-like airship was used in the novel Once Around the Realms... but it was supposedly Halruaan, so one must assume it was an 'outdated' and antiquated model (which makes sense, since it was basically decommissioned and sold for scrap).

There was also a skyship 'out of' the Utter East in the Old Grey Box, but it's origins were unknown.

And of course there is The Lost Ship - another of Ed's creations.

Airflight is nothing new to the Realms... and may even be more reliable then our own... all things considered.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Jun 2009 06:53:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  08:03:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Don't forget the amazing Da Vinci-esque "flying creations" of DaRoni's Workshop from the Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  10:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Another question brought on by finals:
Is there a concept of Physics in the Realms? Like, Gravity, or laws of motion? Are any laws of physics non-existent in the Realms because of the magic?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  14:25:27  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
Might one learn the date (month, & day) of the Festival of the Founding in Menzoberranzan? It's been established that the Founding occurred in the year -3917 DR (GHOTR), but I haven't been able to track down the date of the Festival commemorating the event.

Some of us scribes were discussing the canonicity of the short story "The Fires of Narbondel" over in <another scroll>, and the events there take place right around the time of the Festival. We could actually pinpoint the chronological setting of that story down to a specific trio of days and year, if we knew when the Festival takes place each year.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  18:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
I was recently researching foods to present to my party for breakfast.

Then I remembered "Hand of Fire" had some breakfast scenes on the road. Looking through it I saw mention of Thrusk which got me curious.

What exactly is it? Its used as a morning pick me up what is it made from, what does it taste like? I know they refer to it tasting like boiled boots at one point. If prepared correctly does it ever taste good?

If either Ed or the Hooded Lady could shed some light on this odd drink it would be much appreciated.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  21:45:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'm working on new map of the Inner Sea (hopefully, for use in 4e, and older edition campaigns), and checking the original FR map that came in the old grey box, I see an island called 'Earthspur' east of Prespur - was this island renamed 'The Dragonisle', or was this some other island?

On another note, the shape of that island (the Dragonisle) appears different on nearly every single map, and the most official source for it - Pirates of the Fallen Stars - actually has the 'least attractive' representation of it. I always try to defer to Fonstad maps (since you informed me that that was the most accurate), but in this case, there isn't any showing a close-up of that area. I was just wondering, on what map is it shown the most accurate, according to your original? Would it be that one on the 1eCS map? The 2e campaign map shows it pretty-much the same layout.

Edit: One last thing - is there a name for the small island just north of Prespur?

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Jun 2009 21:48:33
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  02:06:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Great queries, Markustay; I'm sure Ed will come through with a reply soon.
As for thrusk, Gelcur, Ed's notes serve us all once more:

Thrusk is a brewed drink made by boiling the roots and leaves of a very tough wild grass, thrusk, that grows in tufts from long underground roots (somewhat like ferns do), and can therefore survive long droughts and hot sun. Thrusk is sustenance grazing for horses, livestock, and pack animals, because its ropy, slightly-licorice-like bitterness is always strong.
As a drink, it is tan-brown, with a hot-chocolate-like "muck" sediment that precipitates out of the liquid at the bottom of every mug or tankard (and can be saved to be drenched with hot water later to produce a drink that's a weak echo of real brewed thrusk, and is sometimes called "echo"). Good thrusk is bitter but warming to the chest, and bracing, with that nutty, licorice-like undertone; it's an acquired taste, but popular among many wayfarers and caravan merchants because it warms the body (rapidly decreasing numbness in cold extremities), clears foul tastes from the mouth (and what we would call "morning breath" and the Realms knows as "tonguefoul"), and banishes headaches that don't have a severe concussion or head-wound cause (so drunkards with hangovers are still hung over, but lose any splitting headache they may have). Dipping bun-loaves (currant-studded hardbread, sometimes sliced into fingers in what our modern real world calls "biscotti") into thrusk for a sweet/bitter swift morningfeast snack ("daybreak-swallow" to folk of the Realms) is becoming increasingly popular.

So saith Ed (or rather, wrote Ed), and there you have it: thrusk, demystified.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  08:22:55  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

...busy finishing up the 2008 Spin A Yarn tale right now...

I'm looking forward to the Spin-a-Yarn event this year (I'll be attending for a change to bring forth a suggestion or two).
Do you know if Ed will attend the FR event that follows it, or any others?

Gomez,
who'll be running a few of the Dungeon Delves, but may be coaxed into running a (L)FR game as well
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  09:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message
A question for the Lady, if I may : was Lord Mourngrym of Shadowdale a player's character in your "home games" with Ed?

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  12:35:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barshevy

A question for the Lady, if I may : was Lord Mourngrym of Shadowdale a player's character in your "home games" with Ed?

He was an NPC.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  14:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed (or rather, wrote Ed), and there you have it: thrusk, demystified.
love to all,
THO

Thank you dear lady. I can only imagine the numerous things Ed has written down. A product of just tidbits like this would be great. Sort of an encyclopedia with short entries of just all this flavor. *sigh*

Well I hope Ed is feeling well and that you are your always frisky self.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  21:11:03  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

[quote]Originally posted by The Hooded One

A product of just tidbits like this would be great. Sort of an encyclopedia with short entries of just all this flavor.

I thought of the same thing.
Anyone interested to make one?
I actually took the above description and divided it in several entries. I thought of starting a list, but I don't have much material or time to delve for it, though I could compile it if supplied with material.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  21:42:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

Gelcur: yep, I'm my usual frisky self. Care to try me?

gomez, I LOVE that idea, but I'm not sure it's wise, right now. We're still waiting for Wizards to develop the website policy, and although they may well keep us waiting forever, I don't want to shove them into any "stop this at all costs" stance by doing the wrong thing.
More lore, coming up . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 03 Jun 2009 21:43:05
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  21:45:13  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Oh Glorious Master Creator, Bane of All Irrational Change
and Friend of Reasoned Thought Process..

oh never mind, Hi Ed and Hoodie.

I was wondering, in one of the Swords books there is a blurb Elminster says
to Manshoon about is mating with beholders but that is never finished.
I don't suppose I could liquor you up and get you to spill more detail, could I?

*holding a jack of german honey ale out*

HMMMMM?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  21:52:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Longtime Lurker, re. this: "Dear THO, Can you tell us if Ed is a "foodie" who eats at classy restaurants a lot, or is a chef (which I'm defining here as someone who creates their own dishes, often, and feels comfortable doing so because they're very familiar with the properties and tastes of foods), or makes wine or cheese or farms or something of the sort?
Or does he truly "make it all up" when writing as Volo the restaurant critic?
I've always been curious about this . . ."

Heh. Ed would love to eat at classy restaurants a lot, and loves eating at just plain simple ones, too (he hates crowding and noise, but also hates dress codes and overly fussy formality). He can't afford to do either much, however, and since heart troubles and onset of diabetes has to be quite careful about how he eats.
Which I suppose makes him a "foodie" of sorts, being as he's now far more interested in what he eats and can't eat and wholesome home- or local-grown food (Ed lives in the country). Ed will tell you he's always been intensely interested in food, but he means by that that he was always ravenously hungry as a kid and teen, had a hellish work and commuting schedule that kept him hungry often as an adult, too, and now has to be careful of what he eats.
Yes, Ed loves some Food Network shows (GOOD EATS with Alton Brown prominent among them), and Ed's brother is a chef who now teaches future chefs at a college in Toronto. Ed loves good wine AND cheese, and grows his own herbs, but I'd not call him a farmer. He knows his food, though, knows some restaurant critics, and did brief stints as one in Toronto when being a journalism student - - but when he's being Volo, he is indeed "making it up" (drawing on his real-world knowledge of kitchens and cookery and herbs and foodstuffs to make it seem gloriously real). When you read Ed's invented recipes, they ARE imaginary, but draw on what he knows and has heard of real-world food preparation.
You'd be surprised, though, at how lightly Ed eats. Drinks tons of tea, but his lunches are often a plate of raw vegetables.
I do know he makes soups by "cooking down" lots of raw vegetables from a stew into a seasoned soup, almost weekly (soups that last for four or five meals, that is).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  21:59:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Dear THO, I have a small question I was pondering as I was walking home today about the various quotes from various people famous and not that tend to start the chapters of Ed books. Are any of them already-existing sages/minstrels/etc. that have shown up in home Realmsplay? Are any of their saying things you Knights had already heard variations upon? Or are they all made up on the fly when he's writing the novels?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  22:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
So I'm happily reading this thread and my eyes fall on this:

"in one of the Swords books there is a blurb Elminster says
to Manshoon about is mating with beholders but that is never finished."

WHAAAT? althen artren, which book? And where? Did I fall asleep when I came to that passage, or get interrupted and somehow miss actually reading a page, or what? I genuinely don't remember this!
(Shaken, but just as interested to hear Ed's reply as althen is)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  22:13:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Malcolm, you're going to have to wait for Ed's take on beholder matings. I mean, I'm a big girl, I can handle these things, but I doubt TSR or WotC would want to.

Hoondatha, I THINK most of those header quotes were made up on the fly at first. Increasingly, however, Ed has built up a "body" of writings for many of the fictitious sources that he's used more than once (often deliberately, to establish a mood or sense of time). Knowing Ed, he probably keeps track of those writings, writer by writer - - but I'm sure the actual content of the quotations, if not the tone, is just invented to fit the chapter (often to give it a title) as he comes to that part of the book.

Because Ed outlines his Wizards books beforehand (as part of the approvals process), and has so many projects on the go at once at doesn't want to add unnecessary confusion atop the wild confusion that's already his "normal" creative mental state, he tends to write much of them chronologically, rather than jumping around from big scene to big scene (he's already covered the highlights of what he wants scenes to accomplish, in the outline).
I will of course send your query to him, and he will add something if I've portrayed things wrongly. I think I'm on the mark, though.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  22:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
Is there a concept of Physics in the Realms? Like, Gravity, or laws of motion? Are any laws of physics non-existent in the Realms because of the magic?

There are certainly theories and models of the cosmos, but they're going to be along the lines of natural philosophy rather than of the modern desouled physical sciences.

'The laws of physics' are one description of parts of the physical working of our universe. I don't think they apply to the subcreated sword-and-sorcery Forgotten Realms at all.

Edited by - Faraer on 03 Jun 2009 22:52:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000