Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  23:51:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Off all of these queries go to Ed.
Who of course I am not (love THAT syntax), yet do remember from play more than a few "floating thrones" (many elder mages in Halruaa use them, and there are at least two hovering in the ruins of Myth Drannor, one of them being used as a nest by some raptors (and treasure storage, under their nest, by some adventurers), and the other, about seventy feet aloft, that holds the remains of a VERY-long-dead mage who was sitting in it and presumably once commanded it).
An interesting topic indeed . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  23:57:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Dark Wizard,
Embersea is the fantasy setting Ed is (very slowly) at work on, for Studio 2 Publishing. When it will see print, I'm not sure; Ed has been very busy for a long time, and only his fiction writing really brings in enough money for him to live on.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  00:12:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Embersea sounds neat.

Brimstone

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  01:38:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
And don't forget Eric Boyd's (greatly truncated) Toppled Thrones article in the last days of DRAGON magazine.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  02:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
"Last days"

It's still going strong, George!

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And don't forget Eric Boyd's (greatly truncated) Toppled Thrones article in the last days of DRAGON magazine.

-- George Krashos

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  03:02:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Krash *may* have been referring to the last days of the PRINTED magazine [#351] -- which contained the article he refers to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 May 2009 03:05:36
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  13:58:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

"Last days"

It's still going strong, George!

quote:

-- George Krashos

Strong indeed. As a house organ and easy preview avenue for a plethora of core 4E rulebooks. Nothing in it to tempt the FR junkie in me to take out a DDI subscription.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  14:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
quote:

Strong indeed. As a house organ and easy preview avenue for a plethora of core 4E rulebooks. Nothing in it to tempt the FR junkie in me to take out a DDI subscription.

-- George Krashos

Fair enough. I'm digging my subscription because I play 4E--but I'm also looking forward to the new monthly Realms material and column from Ed!

Cheers,

Christopher

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  15:11:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Some of us 'old timers' still think magazines should be made of paper.

And damn the trees!

What did a Dryad ever do for you, eh?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  15:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message
The Dragon is dead. Long live the Kobold !

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  15:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Well, I don't know about you, but if a Dryad had never done anyhting for you (or should I say, to you) your charm must be greatly reduced... I know I had great fun with a few of them...

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  16:04:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And perhaps we can get back to asking Ed questions...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  16:37:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

That did a Dryad ever do for you, eh?
I'm sure both Florin and Torm have their own stories to tell.

Maybe Ed [or the Lady Hooded One] could elaborate?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  14:12:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
so I was curious about something, and was hoping ED could tell me.
why does Wuakeen have numchuks as her favored weapon??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  16:11:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Because rubber chickens just aren't that effective.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  17:02:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Hmmm. I think it's important to note that some of the 3e favoured weapons for the deities were chosen/changed to show off the 3e weapon roster. And, thus, make little actual sense.

Maybe Ed will have more.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  20:43:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Sage, you're quite right about some of the favored weapons making little sense. Fortunately, Ed thought so too, and back at the time of the 3e launch, came up with an explanation. Here are his relevant notes:

Waukeen is first and foremost the god of merchants, and the priests of Waukeen have for years carried "tally-sticks" for keeping count of goods, payment amounts, and debts, particularly when called upon to settle disputes between merchants. At first these were individual batons, often drilled with rows of holes for counting-pegs to be moved along (like a real-world cribbage board), but over time amounts customarily grew too large for single-stick counts. So priests took to carrying two separate pairs of sticks, each pair being joined together at the ends by a length of chain, so that one stick could be crossed over the fellow it was chained to in various arrays and patterns to denote different numbers, and one pair of sticks had gold painted ends, while the other was silver-ended. This allowed priests to readily keep side-by-side counts, or use on pair for "ones" and the other for "tens" or "scores" or "full wagons" or whatever. Their use as weapons developed in practical "desperation" incidents after that, but soon became a matter of training within the clergy.

There. A Realmsian explanation. Ed and I would both have preferred sharpened-edge coin shuriken, but still . . .
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 16 May 2009 20:49:17
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  00:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
That's actually kind of neat. I don't usually like retroactive lore for dumb WotC ideas, but that one works. Nice job, Ed!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  01:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
There. A Realmsian explanation. Ed and I would both have preferred sharpened-edge coin shuriken, but still . . .

But wouldn't that just be throwing money away?

Tymora got the coin shuriken. I really wish they'd stuck to Longsword as it was in 2nd Edition (what with her tear becoming a blade and all).

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  01:41:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed's the master of making Lemonade from Lemons.

Of course, killing someone with a Silver piece would have been very cool as well.

Not to mention effective against Lycanthropes...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 May 2009 01:42:59
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  00:37:18  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Dark Wizard,
Embersea is the fantasy setting Ed is (very slowly) at work on, for Studio 2 Publishing. When it will see print, I'm not sure; Ed has been very busy for a long time, and only his fiction writing really brings in enough money for him to live on.
love,
THO

Thank you Lady THO. I look forward to another well-composed setting from Ed. Any hints as to what it's like, or is it still too early or NDA-locked to say?

By the way, did you catch my question regarding settlement/city naming schema for the Chondath and Chessenta regions?

My apologies if my wording made it difficult to pick out from the rest of my post. I really should go over my posts before hitting reply. Thanks again.

I really do love Ed's answer to the question on Waukeen's favored weapon, and his answers to those types of questions in general. He has a way of tying the lore in culturally and functionally that many others often don't think to.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  01:04:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Dark Wizard, your Chondath/Chessenta question has gone off to Ed; I don't recall anything useful in trying to answer it in the lore-notes he's given me over the years, or in the notes I made during play. So it'll have to wait for his return, which will hopefully be by end of next week.
Yes, Ed tries to envisage the Realms as a real place, and work out details and lore explanations that make it seem more real AND create new roleplaying opportunities. I think he's become pretty good at it over the last forty-some years.
As for Embersea, I know very little about it, because Ed (following professional protocol) has said very little. I once overheard him mention something about "lots of small islands to adventure on, clustered around large ones," that MIGHT have been Embersea, or might not. That was years back, before he offered the setting to Studio 2, which is when his silence descended. I suspect Embersea was one of the many projects affected when Ed's father died and Ed missed a crop of deadlines, with everything snowballing and getting delayed. However, it's NOT a dead setting, by any means.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  09:24:12  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Ed, I was wondering if you have ever written characters with mental disorders (NOT insanity) in the realms? Like Autism or Asperger's syndrome for example. I'm asking because I've got Asperger's myself.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  09:53:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Sage, you're quite right about some of the favored weapons making little sense. Fortunately, Ed thought so too, and back at the time of the 3e launch, came up with an explanation. Here are his relevant notes:

Waukeen is first and foremost the god of merchants, and the priests of Waukeen have for years carried "tally-sticks" for keeping count of goods, payment amounts, and debts, particularly when called upon to settle disputes between merchants. At first these were individual batons, often drilled with rows of holes for counting-pegs to be moved along (like a real-world cribbage board), but over time amounts customarily grew too large for single-stick counts. So priests took to carrying two separate pairs of sticks, each pair being joined together at the ends by a length of chain, so that one stick could be crossed over the fellow it was chained to in various arrays and patterns to denote different numbers, and one pair of sticks had gold painted ends, while the other was silver-ended. This allowed priests to readily keep side-by-side counts, or use on pair for "ones" and the other for "tens" or "scores" or "full wagons" or whatever. Their use as weapons developed in practical "desperation" incidents after that, but soon became a matter of training within the clergy.

love to all,
THO

M'lady Hooded one.

do tell ED thanks for me, and also tell him, that the coin edged shuriken would have been better, as it seams the majority of them in 3.x had numchuku has a favored weapon or atleast one to many of them had that and with no monk levels it makes no since whatso ever.

heavy mace= Terminal Migraine
numchuku= less than so

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  10:27:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Ed, I was wondering if you have ever written characters with mental disorders (NOT insanity) in the realms? Like Autism or Asperger's syndrome for example. I'm asking because I've got Asperger's myself.

If you dont mind me asking, what is Asperger's. I have heard of it before. Good question too.

Brimstone

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  11:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hello again Ed, LHO, and fellow scribes,

I've been re-reading the the "Elminster" Quintet of books, and I've a few more lore questions that I hope don't infringe on any NDAs. I vaguely remember an earlier question to Ed regarding Moonshorn Tower from "The Temptation of Elminster", but these current ones come from some of the other novels.

From "Elminster in Myth Drannor": Ed or LHO, do your notes have anything further on the bloodlines of the Srinshee (the Estelda line) or Mythanthor (the Iydril line)? Are there any surviving relatives or offshoots, or were they each the last to carry those names?

From "Elminster in Hell": Similar to Moonshorn Tower, I'm curious about Spelldown Hall, the mageduel arena revealed in a brief wisp of El's memory. Where was it located, and when was it built? Does any part or legacy of it persist into 3rd Ed.?

Thank you profusely in advance!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  15:05:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes.
Aysen, I can START to answer your just-posted questions (Ed will of course handle them "properly," in due course), by drawing on Ed's notes. Here's Ed:

The Srinshee has at least three living (younger) blood relatives, at least two of whom are completely unaware of their heritage.

I suspect (from hints during play) that the same applies for Mythanthor, but I could quite well be mistaken about this.
Ed's off to the hospital tomorrow, and doing all the "clear liquids only, no solid foods" dance right now . . .
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  15:45:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
My prayers go out with Ed.

And if he doesn't comply with the after-surgery bedrest, sit on him THO.*

We need Ed hale and whole.

*Which can be quite pleasant, if done correctly.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 May 2009 15:46:09
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  16:13:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Likewise on the 'Get Well Soon'!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  17:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Having been taught to learn and respect our elders and sages, I must agree with Markus, and send my own wishes for a quick recovery.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000