Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2009 :  21:33:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
THO.

Please tell Ed for me to take a day off and sniff the flowers... one must never forget that.

It's okay to be a little selfish once in awhile.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 May 2009 21:34:12
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  00:17:19  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message
Sorry to jump in, but can anyone enlighten me on Embersea?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  01:23:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Oh, Wooly, you misunderstand. I know Ed will answer in his own time; I was just unsure that the question had even been sent, seeing as you all gave me such great answers. It could be that our Lady assumed that the question had been answered to my satisfaction, and so there was no need to burden the already over-burdened Ed with it. I did apologize, and will again, if people think this indicates a lack of trust. Also, I felt the situation could use a bit of clarification.
EDIT: Although I'm always willing to hear from (or about) our Lady...

Menelvagor, we've covered this before.

Even in the past, when we've tackled questions on Ed's behalf, the Lady Hooded One will still pass along the question to Ed since he'll likely have a response that none of us could've known about. Ed's always got something extra to add. And that's something you should expect when you're communicating with him via THO.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  02:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

As I was trying to go to sleep last night, I was musing about my vision impairment (which is really nothing major, just short sightedness with a splash of lack of depth perception) - which is (almost) completely corrected by my glasses. Given the lenses in my glasses are made of high index plastic and usually has to be ground overseas (in Japan or in Europe where the plastic comes from - they've got the usual correction for shortsightedness with the addition of prisms to force/trick my eyes/brain to see in stereo), I figure it would be hard to find something in the Realms to correct such an impairment. So here's my question...

How do average people cope with/treat (severe) myopia in the Realms? How about other vision problems like hyperopia (hypermetropia, long sighteness) or astigmatism? How common are glasses? Are there spells to correct problems with vision, and if so how accessible are they?

Hmm... I think that's all...

Edit: Ooh, I just remembered that there is a Cure Blindness/Deafness spell in DnD, but I always just thought of it as a dispel type spell to cure magical ailments... I suppose it can cure naturally occurring vision impairment (and deafness) as well? And that reminds me of Heal... Does it cure naturally occurring insanity/mental illnesses?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 10 May 2009 02:33:44
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  10:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hi everyone,
Zandilar's question about physical impairments inspires my next question to Ed: Do wheelchairs exist in some form in the Realms? I assume palanquins and stretchers exist, and there was a mention of carry-chairs in one of Ed's novels, so how about wheelchairs?
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  11:12:34  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Why thank you, my lady. And I did say I was sorry, Sage. Again.
But let's put all that behind us. I do have a question (more of an assumption*, actually): I assume the announcement from WotC still hasn't come to light because of those problems you mentioned, right? Because I'd hate to think I missed it because I'm learning for all my finals.

* As we all know, it is never safe to assume, so I suppose that means I'm being threatened by somebody, having got into his (or hers!) area of threat...

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  12:23:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Why thank you, my lady. And I did say I was sorry, Sage. Again.
You've nothing to apologise for Menelvagor. You're simply curious about the procedure here. There's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by - The Sage on 10 May 2009 12:24:26
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  13:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

Hi everyone,
Zandilar's question about physical impairments inspires my next question to Ed: Do wheelchairs exist in some form in the Realms? I assume palanquins and stretchers exist, and there was a mention of carry-chairs in one of Ed's novels, so how about wheelchairs?

Well ... i know that a wizard in a former group i attended fixed a Tensers floating disc with Permenency to cook up something similar when the he lost his ability to walk (long story)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  18:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage:
You're simply curious about the procedure here. There's nothing wrong with that.

Really? Are you sure? Because I heard that curiosity killed the cat (or another word, which is inexplicably censored...), and I wouldn't want to be blamed for that.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  04:03:17  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed can you tell us anything in regards to LARGEST crystal balls, scry devices in faerun say year 1373, powers, locations?

Same on other planes as well, excluding any that are in possesion of deities or archfiends, demon princes.

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  23:14:15  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I have a swift need for a Cormyrean "wannabe noble" family based in Marsember. Not one of the let's-go-independent brigade, but one of the if-we-expose-local-traitors-maybe-the-Crown-will-ennoble-us sort. Can Ed (or his notes) oblige?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  12:36:53  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And Menelvagor, just for you, I stripped off the jeans, bra, and panties I was wearing, but put on a festive party mask that I keep handy for such occasions...

Which would be excellent attire to the masked dance at Gencon Indy... ;)
Will you be available for a dance then, lady?
Or Ed, perhaps?

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  20:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A quick question for Ed: Is there insurance in the Realms? Like Insurance companies, and such? I know that in a party mentioned in Elminster In Hell, some Cormyte merchant mentions buying a 'Godsfrown Shield', which seems to be a sort of insurance. But how widely spread is this practice? Are there many who engage in it? And are there any who specifically engage in it? Clerics of Tymora, for example, or something?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  01:49:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
While Ed will likely have more, I'll note that the "Play The Market" chapter of Power of Faerűn has a little on the concept of surety in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  09:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message
I'm not sure about other references but RAS included to forms of travel for the impaired in his Drizzt Hunter's Blade saga.
1. A type of chair that required 4 dwarves to carry was built for Cattie-Brie when she was injured(Cattie-brie refused at first but used it a couple of times until she was able to walk)
2. Another chair(this one with wheels) was built for Banak when he became paralyzed after the final battle for keepers dale I think.

So they're in the realms;)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  15:20:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Now you guys have me thinking about creating a cool new villain in a flying chair (I've seen similar things in comics - like Modok - but usually a guy in a flying chair is one of the 'good guys').

You can never have too many cool 'bad guys'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  15:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
Whether they're good guys or bad guys--individually and collectively--is kind of an open question only now being addressed in the novels and LFR modules, but the Stewards of Akanűl are said to each hold "his or her own tiny 'thronemote'" (p. 91, FRCG).

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  16:18:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Is that a flying/hovering chair, or is it the term being used for the landmote they are in control of?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  16:28:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Is that a flying/hovering chair, or is it the term being used for the landmote they are in control of?

Having read that entry recently myself (a day or two ago) I'm assuming it's the latter.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  16:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
I'm kind of envisioning both, actually. A tiny earthmote carved into a throne. Now, whether or not they can zoom around on it is a different question--the "Shift Mote" ritual is very high level, and incredibly expensive. That said, there could easily be a lower level version for such tiny motes, and further, if House Jordain and the Five Companies can ride around the Realms on Yaulazna and even shift it in and out of the Astral Sea, I suppose it's not a stretch for the leaders of a nation like Akanűl to be able to navigate a throne in three dimensions.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  16:59:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Now you guys have me thinking about creating a cool new villain in a flying chair (I've seen similar things in comics - like Modok - but usually a guy in a flying chair is one of the 'good guys').

Heh.

I had MODAM in my Realms once. She was actually once a well-known NPC who was also a prominent psionicist and Witch of Rashemen. Unfortunately, she met a particularly nasty and violent end in my campaign, whereupon she was later resurrected and "rebuilt" by the Arcane who were secretly operating in Rashemen at the time. Of course, these Arcane were a rogue group, who kinda looked like agents of AIM, but that's a whole other campaign scenario.

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  20:09:54  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Having just got hold of a copy of 'Secrets of the Magister', yay eBay!; I would like to ask Ed: Who was Askravan of Nudd and what were his Seven Scarlet Curses?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  21:33:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I've actually been playing with a similar idea... It goes back to an older monster concept of mine (since abandoned), and was in part inspired by a still-unanswered question from 2006 (similar to the recent question on wheelchairs, actually).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  00:43:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by arry

Having just got hold of a copy of 'Secrets of the Magister', yay eBay!; I would like to ask Ed: Who was Askravan of Nudd and what were his Seven Scarlet Curses?

I think Ed's [or was it Krash?] briefly touched on Askravan before. I'll have to check the archives.

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  06:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:

IIRC, the Wyrmskull Throne can fly about, and the sitter can cause it to shoot lightning bolts.

Also from my own games, I can remember 2 "throne villains" we faced: a ghaunadan riding a throne where the underside was a mass of crawling tentacles and pseudopods that served as its mode of attack/mobility.

Another villain we faced (a diviner) seated herself on a floating highback "throne" where the seat's lower half was huge lidless eyeball. She sat upright, in a yoga-like lotus position, cradling an orb in her lap, and each hand curled around an attendant floating sphere. To our real-life and characters' groans and winces, she grandly announced the throne as Erlanya's Eye Spire

Ahh memories :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  07:20:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

quote:

IIRC, the Wyrmskull Throne can fly about, and the sitter can cause it to shoot lightning bolts.
And you'd be right. Among the many actual and powerful aspects catalogued as part of the "Wyrmskull Throne's" abilities, are floating and 'breathing' lightning bolts.

The full powers of the Throne are fully detailed in The Wyrmskull Throne adventure module.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  09:10:03  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Hmm, how to formulate this one...

Ed, what's this I hear (or more accurately, remembered) about the powers-that-be wanting realms books to be written for the "average 12-year old american male?" Because from what I've gleaned of that it seems to mean a hormone-ruled adrenaline junkie who only wants to read violence and is pathologically scared of strong female character and subtle dialogue.

In my opinion, that seems like a huge insult to boys.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  10:44:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I just started reading Falconfar. Very interesting.

Brimstone

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  12:57:43  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Ed, what's this I hear (or more accurately, remembered) about the powers-that-be wanting realms books to be written for the "average 12-year old american male?" Because from what I've gleaned of that it seems to mean a hormone-ruled adrenaline junkie who only wants to read violence and is pathologically scared of strong female character and subtle dialogue.

In my opinion, that seems like a huge insult to boys.

Regrettably, almost all entertainment and media companies tend to insult their audiences.

But, to keep with the topic, a question for Ed:
Can you give us any more, well any, really, information about Melisander, "the Last Lonely Harpist" from Dragon #164? He gave us the spell Melisander's Harp. (And contributes to my curiosity about the "Lonely Harpist" title, since Mintiper also bears that epithet, and if Melisander was the "last," well, I assume you see the confusion...)

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  15:17:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
When big companies start to dump their customers into categories and niches, it's the beginning of the end.

At that point, the needs of the individual are lost and the product gets boiled-down to the 'lowest common denominator'.

Shiney packaging then begins to supercede quality...

Not that this has anything to do with anything we discuss here. <smirk>

On Topic: (sort of)
I had forgotten about the Wyrmskull Throne - good call! Ed, are there any other 'famous flying chairs' (while we are on the subject of mobility-assisstance equipment), or mages/priests/whatever that have been known to fly about in such an ostentatious manner?

Edited by - Markustay on 14 May 2009 15:18:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000