Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  22:34:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello once more, fellow scribes!
A message just arrived from Ed. This one is in response to Dark Wizard's query (on Page 47 of this thread) for Ed's own Realms-specific answers to the Wizards template for settings (core ethos, etc.).:

Hi. Dark Wizard, I'm afraid you've asked a question I can't legally answer, because as part of the Realms retooling that went on before 4e, I formally and in detail answered those questions for Wizards of the Coast (as did many of their designers), in confidence. They own those replies of mine, and only they can publish them; I can't. I am bound by the NDAs, contracts, and other agreements I have signed, so I must remain silent on this. Sorry.

So saith Ed. Reminding us all of something often forgotten on the Net; there is a "real world" of legal agreements and professional behaviour, that Ed is part of and must abide by, regardless of how much he might want to reply (or how strongly a third party may believe "But surely that won't apply to this! What harm could there be in discussing this?" etc.).
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 17 Apr 2009 22:35:33
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  22:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hi. Ed or Lady THO,
I just noticed a listing for a DAW anthology called "Gamer Fantastic," with Ed's name attached to it. Any details you can share?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  22:56:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sure.
A mass market paperback, due on sale July 7th of this year, ISBN 978-0-7564-0563-2, edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Kerrie Hughes (who I think is in cahoots with Ed on something else that's still nebulous/fuzzy).
It has a story by Ed in it, and a tribute to Gary Gygax written by Ed, too (both quite a while ago, now), as well as stories by Steven Schend, Richard Lee Byers, Jean Rabe, the late Brian Thomsen (perhaps it's Brian's last; Brian wrote Once Around The Realms and was head of TSR's Book Department for some time), Bill Fawcett (familiar to early DRAGON readers as "the druid guy"), and Don Bingle.
There are also tales in it by Jim Hines (author of the delightful Goblin trilogy, and co-editor of HEROES In TRAINING, which contains an Ed-penned Arthurian fantasy story), Jody Lynn Nye, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and others. Oh, and an introduction by Margaret Weis!
Yes, I'll be buying it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  00:05:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed can you elaborate on teleport chases, you and others have written in novels describing various beings setting traps and wards to foil pursuit in this manner? If I'm in pursuit of someone who just teleported, what is required on my part to achieve that? You mentioned various ways of teleporting, riding the weave strands themselves, moving within the spaces I believe is the other and some other more aggressive, damaging method. I'm assuming the more agressive forms are easier to track but then a voice in my head says probably the opposite due to weave repairing damage and masking the teleporters resonance, or some magical jumbo like that.

Help if you can.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  04:34:43  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message
Thank you Lady THO and Ed,

That was a swift reply. I understand that Ed has many agreements and obligations to maintain. I've lurked on this thread often enough to see other responses unfortunately veiled by NDAs and the like. Hopefully this one, like those other replies, will continue to enrich the Realms in the background.

This just means I will have to come up with another topic question I think Ed will be allowed to answer.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And hello once more, fellow scribes!
A message just arrived from Ed. This one is in response to Dark Wizard's query (on Page 47 of this thread) for Ed's own Realms-specific answers to the Wizards template for settings (core ethos, etc.).:

Hi. Dark Wizard, I'm afraid you've asked a question I can't legally answer, because as part of the Realms retooling that went on before 4e, I formally and in detail answered those questions for Wizards of the Coast (as did many of their designers), in confidence. They own those replies of mine, and only they can publish them; I can't. I am bound by the NDAs, contracts, and other agreements I have signed, so I must remain silent on this. Sorry.

So saith Ed. Reminding us all of something often forgotten on the Net; there is a "real world" of legal agreements and professional behaviour, that Ed is part of and must abide by, regardless of how much he might want to reply (or how strongly a third party may believe "But surely that won't apply to this! What harm could there be in discussing this?" etc.).
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  15:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I know some elves in the Realms live in tree houses. Do any humans live in tree houses? Do human children ever build "tree forts" to play in, or even "sleep over" in? Is there a human attitude towards tree-dwelling, perhaps shaped by elven tree-dwelling?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  15:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
Another one from me, too.
Pumps in a village in the Heartlands: will these be the "crank a handle, water comes out of the spout the handle is attached to" sort? (I think they're sometimes called reciprocating, but real-world engineering terms aren't my strong point) Or foot-treadle? Or the capstan type (spoked wheel on its side, the sort Conan is seen turning as a slave as he grows from childhood to youth, in the (first) Conan movie? Or ...?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  16:30:28  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Dear Lady Hooded One and Ed,
I confess I'm always interested in knowing what Ed's reading, so I'd like to ask for an update. Now, I know the answer will probably be something along the lines of "Not much, just at the moment, because he's so busy," but . . . what has he most recently read, or is waiting piled up on the bedside table for those falling-asleep moments?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  16:37:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Well, I can tell you two SORTS of things Ed's been reading, recently: forthcoming titles in the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep series, for one, and submissions for the Sunburst Awards (Canada's sf and fantasy annual best adult and best young adult books; I believe Ed said there were something like 120 titles submitted). I've sent your query off to him along with all the rest, to see if we can get more personal reading answers (one recent book I KNOW he read, from talking to him, was Malliet's DEATH OF A COZY WRITER [a modern murder mystery]).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  18:22:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Just curious if Ed has read or is even aware of this book -
The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy
I noticed it at a discount bookstore yesterday, and I was tempted to get it, but I only recognized a couple of the authors interveiwed (Le Guinn and Pratchett, naturally).

I probably would have bought it if I saw any FR authors in there, but I didn't, and I was just wondering if Ed had any opinions of the work in case I find myself back there soon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Apr 2009 18:24:45
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  18:59:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Markustay.
Yes, Ed and I are both familiar with that book, and own copies of it. It focuses on Commonwealth and teen or childrens' fantasy authors (Tamora Pierce, Brian Jacques, Terry Pratchett) more than on North American and adult fantasy authors, and doesn't reflect gaming fantasy at all. Like any book of interviews with authors, it's increasingly dated as time passes, but in the main we both found the interviews very good. Interesting reading and a worthy addition to a fantasy fan's library.
As far as relevance to gaming-related fantasy goes, though: darned near none.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  19:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Nobody really regards gaming novels. It's a real shame...
But I also have a question: In ELminster In Hell, there's a memory in Chapter 14, p. 242. The party, El teasing Vangy, etc. So what service did Sir Sabrast WIndriver do? Or was it just a way of annoying Vangy?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  23:04:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you, THO, for your speedy answer.

@Menelvagor - he is obviously a Harper spy, most-likely set there specifically to talk "negatively of the crown" and see what stirs up.

Vangy was more upset about 'Harper Spies' then he was about the man's taxes.

I wonder if he ever figured-out the Queen was one as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  06:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
That's what I thought, but it seems so... well, expected. Routine.
And why would he not pay taxes in the first place? Does he trust the Harpers/Elminster to bail him out?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  16:03:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Well, thats why I had assumed his 'assignment' was to seek-out 'fellow dissidents'. A good taxpayer certainly would be 'suspect' to those working against the crown. What better way to be contacted by rebellious-types then to not pay your taxes and grumble against the unfairness of the Crown all the time?

Vangy's organization - impressive as it is - can only weed-out malcontents up to a certain level. His own people - War Wizards and High Knights - are aware of many of his own spies, so he is particulary vulnerable to treason from that quarter. Harpers, on the other hand, are completely independent, and therefore can find plots originating outside of Cormyr or starting at 'higher levels' of society.

I think what bothers Vangerdahast the most about this situation is that there is someone 'policing the police', which means even he is being watched. I'm sure it urks him no end that he alone isn't responsible for the "well-being of Cormyr". When someone is that full of himself, it is extremely hard for them to even admit they need help (as shown in at least three stories regarding him that I can think of off the top of my head). He considers the Harpers both 'meddlers', and a 'neccessary evil'.

Your post got me to thinking a lot about Cormyr's 'situation' last night, and it appears to me that certain 'powers' are very interested in maintaining Cormyr as a 'shining example' for others. Not sure if thats related to, or because of, the high number of organized magic-users in the Kingdom (which is a situation that almost always goes bad, eventually).

Edit: Sorry for voicing my opinions in Ed's thread - I'm sure he or THO will be along to correct any wrongful assumptions I have made, and I eagerly await anything Ed has to add.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Apr 2009 16:06:25
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  16:06:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahhh, Grasshopper, no need to apologize at all, for that is not only what this thread is for, you stand strong at this moment, for when it comes to matters cormyrean, you begin to see clearly, you do indeed . . .

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  17:58:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I feel like a puppy who has just had his belly rubbed.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  19:37:05  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Puddles cleaned, Markus:

I'm sure she'd be willing to rub some more if you start drooling.
Stay on the floor.
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  19:49:33  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Puddles cleaned, Markus

Well said!

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:43:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, such a handy thing 'tis, to have a 'certain' reputation!
Of COURSE I'll rub more, and lower, too . . .
Ahem.
To put things more boldly, Markustay is quite correct that the non-payment of taxes was indeed a tactic to draw malcontents to Sir Sabrast. Yes, it IS routine, Menelvagor, but the great majority of espionage, agent provocateur, and for that matter police work and politics is unglamorous, plodding routine.
Ed is deep in the throes of his taxes now, having charged through a LOT of work in the last week or so, and is looking forward to his chance to return to the Keep.
(I suspect he'll look forward to just about anything that isn't taxes, right about now. )
A tidbit of Realmslore for you all, from Ed's notes: no less than six aging, ramshackle warehouses in Waterdeep's Dock Ward have roofs that have been augmented (repaired, to stop leaks) with the upturned hulls of old harbour barges - - which of course means adventurers seeking such conveyances in a pinch just have to find the right warehouse, have a wizard or two powerful enough either among them or agreeable to being hired, and a warehouse can lose its roof at about the same time as adventurers gain a barge . . .
A moment of Realms goodness brought to you by everyone's favourite hooded lady, who is typing this fetchingly clad in her wristwatch and a smile.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  13:20:38  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
You don't happen to have a webcam do you Hooded One?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  14:38:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Geeze.. I know I'm dead sexy, but still....

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  16:53:20  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Geeze.. I know I'm dead sexy, but still....

Imagine how hot you are when you are still alive!
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  03:39:02  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message
Dear Ed and lady Hooded one
I was wondering if there is anymore information concerning the elven mistwinter clan, like how they manage to all die off,if there was any further stories on past members exploits in the realms prior to the making of myth drannor, or if maybe some was still alive living in secret perhaps. Sorry in advance if the question sounds stupid, its just that im pretty curious if there was anything more to this clan seeing as how they have a big impact in my gaming group.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  09:13:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
hey has Mr. Greenwood bought a copy of dragon age: stolen throne??? and if so what did he think of it?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  17:57:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Another novel and author I would like to hear Ed's take on-

I have been a fan of Mithgar far some time, despite its highly derivitive origins. Mr. McKiernan has come a long way from his original stories in differentiating his world from a mere Middle Earth copy.

I have just started Red Slippers yesterday, and am finding it highly enjoyable (McKiernan's novels could all fit the 'game novel' niche far better then some that actually hold that 'honor'). His novels always center around a small group of adventurers getting 'big' stuff done, but in small ways, one step at a time, rather then through WSEs. Building a better world through perseverance, rather then sheer fire-power.

Anyhow, it reminds me of Ed's style a lot (and I hope he takes that as a compliment), and I couldn't help but think of Ed whilst reading the foreward - the concept of the 'Red Slippers' is so... Edwardian... in nature, I couldn't help but wonder if Ed is even aware of it (the term, I mean).

For those of you who haven't read the book, 'Red Slippers' is a literary term McKiernan himself created to describe an authors habit of mentioning past events, personages, or places that have no real bearing on the story. Basicaly, the author has "dropped a Red Slipper" - something that makes the world seem more real, by mentioning the wider world around the current story. The foreword itself is worth the cover price, just because of this concept, which McKiernan claims to have taken from Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories (who would constantly refer to other cases that were never covered in any other novels).

Like I said, I find the term brilliant, and would love to see it achieve common usage in the literary world. This is also something I see that newer Realms sources have lacked for quite some time - whereas before every nook and cranny was filled with 'Red Slippers' for us to wonder about, now it seems everything NOT pertinent to the story at hand is lost in editting. Although I'm talking primarilly about sourcebooks, I feel some novels have suffered as well.

It's a shame, really, because it is that 'excessive verbiage' which makes the world seem so real to so many of us.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Apr 2009 19:25:56
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  18:25:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
For those of you not privy to the foreward, here it is: Red Slippers

And I'm still waiting for my Caverns of Socrates (not the book, the actual events).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  19:24:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Didn't even think to look for that online - thanks for the help.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  01:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
Being as it's tax time here in Canada (and the deadline has very recently passed for our American friends), I'm curious about taxes in the Realms.
Specifically in Waterdeep, Cormyr, Amn, and Tethyr.
Is everything a "passage" (docking, city entry, city departure) or consumption (pay an extra copper when you buy a pot, or anything else over 3 or 4 sp in price) tax?
Or are there any "head" or income taxes that require having detailed tax rolls? If so, who maintains the roll, where is kept/guarded/how amended, what's the normal procedure for putting people on it, and how can slay/clever/dishonest people (such as those living in hiding from justice elsewhere) keep themselves off it?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  01:33:56  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Okay, I'll bite: sfdragon, what is "dragon age: stolen throne"?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000