Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2400 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  22:14:15  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I'm not too concerned about priests at the moment. I imagine the player will get a couple priests of Mystra and/or Azuth to take up residence, as a combination of school counselor and healer of all the injuries I KNOW will happen. I'm quite sure both deities would ruthlessly squash any clergy that tried any such tricks, especially on the next generation of mages.

Sometimes there are advantages for a DM when people get their magic from a higher power.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  23:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha
<snip!>
We have numerous instances of mage schools existing throughout Faerun's history, so some solutions must have been found besides Thay's "Do whatever you want to those weaker than you" mentality. I'd appreciate any help you could give me in dealing with this disturbing use of magic.

I hope you don't mind me pipping up Hoondatha, but I have thought about this quite a bit. (Is this really a surprise?)

First of all, comparing "Wizard School" to High School is a mistake, a more apt comparison would be an elite (enrollment by scholarship only) private school or something like the Australian Institute of Sport (high school+ for elite athletes). The students are there because they're better than anyone else of their age, but they're held to much higher standards. I would imagine in such a place that magic outside the grounds would be strictly forbidden (much like summer holidays at Hogwarts - J K Rowling was on to something there).

If you take into consideration that the class size would be far smaller than modern high school, the students could probably be easily watched quite closely when they're outside school grounds, if they're let out at all. Maybe even an enchantment or an enchanted item the students carry to trigger an alarm at the school when they cast a spell. Other wizard schools solve the problem by simply setting themselves up way out in the boonies rather than in the middle of a city or town. Isolation would solve 99% of the problem, and being closely watched while in the school and only having magically aware people around would probably solve the last 1%.

I also think that people in the general vicinity of a "wizard school" would be a lot more wary and watchful for misteps by the students... Wizards make most people uneasy at the best of times. Young wizards would be frightening because they haven't had the years to hone their discipline.

Another thing that stops magic being so freely used in public (especially by apprentices) is that it is obvious when it's being done. You say a magical phrase, wave your hands and wriggle your fingers, as well as manipulating material components. If someone sees you, the game is up and the watch would probably be called. I know at least one of my DMs reminds me of this every time I go to cast Detect Magic in public (it has both verbal and somatic components, the same as Charm Person). If people see you casting a spell, they don't know what you're up to, they don't know if you're targeting them - they're likely to react badly. I suppose they could drag their victim aside somewhere private, but it's still a big risk. Especially if the victim starts acting differently afterwards. Alarm bells (for others witnessing such a thing) will certainly ring if the victim didn't want to have anything to do with said wizard student, and then they're suddenly all over them.

I'm not Ed, but I hope this helps a little.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  01:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
This isn't really a question, though I'll try to wrench it around into one by the end. I was just doing some indexing work and noticed that the very first bit of published Realmslore, Ed's "Dragon's Bestiary: the Curst" piece from Dragon #30, is coincidentally coming up on its thirtieth birthday this October! I know Ed and Co. have been working and playing in the Realms even longer than that, but for the rest of us (well, for me, anyway, and I imagine for others as well), that's pretty momentous! Thirty years of Realmslore!

So. Any plans to celebrate? :)

Cheers,

Christopher

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  04:52:29  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I've been reading a book I picked up about the evolution of writing and how it shaped our brains and I was thinking about some of the written languages in the Realms. :)

Anyhow, what is the oldest written language that is still used as of the 1370's? If there is any? I was thinking maybe that draconic or espruar might be two of the oldest alphabets.... But maybe there are even some written languages that are older that aren't discussed on page of 85 of the FRCS.

Instead of asking about dozens of different alphabets, how about you choose five of the most common alphabets and expand on them? :) But I was curious about how some of them might be written? For example, we still have written languages on Earth that aren't written from left to right, some languages are written from top to bottom or even top to bottom to right/left to left/right. Are there any that are picto languages like the Egyptians used? I figured, already, that Mulhorandi would have written language like this but what about parts of Faerun? Do any of the written languages have missing letters like the runic language of the Norse had?

What about some written languages that are gender specific? Earth, at times, had written languages that were woman or man specific.

What class of people learn how to read? I think you might have answered this in past replies though. :)

I suppose I'm just curious about different languages and how they differ. :) And this might be a topic that might take a long time to discuss, which is why I was going to let you choose which written languages you wanted to discuss. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Mar 2009 06:46:00
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  07:58:41  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Re: wizard Schools: It is important to remember that things like charms and dominations can be detected, even by people not savvy with magic. You don't always need magic to know something is up.
Then again, the scary thing is that people gave a tendency to ignore even the obvious if it makes them uncomfortable. If a wizard's school's (or any private school's) masters aren't eager to kepe their students in check, if they have a dark agenda or simply don't care, then you might have a problem. It may be short-lived, though, as surely a school where such things happen too often won't grow to be popular (at elast, I would hope not).

Concerning private Schools: How common are mixed private schools (not magic schools) in the Realms? Is it more common practice to have a private school for each gender?
The school we intend to use is in High Dale, teaching the sons and/or daughters (tbd) of the rich from (mostly) Cormyr and Sembia.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  08:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,

Inspired by both Hoondatha and Kuje, I just have to ask the following*:

The word "tumble" (in the "sexual intercourse" sense) has always struck me as cleverly evocative of the act. What are its different meanings in the Realms, origins and who would use it in what company and under what circumstances?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

* Yes, I know I have exceeded my annual quota...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Learned Scribe

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  13:46:06  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message
Ok, I know I'm a bit behind the times, but...

MYSTRA'S DEAD???!?!?!?!!!!?!??!!?!? *Cries*

I just discovered this and I'm thoroughly unhappy, to say the least...
Not that I ever intend on recognizing/acknowledging such terrible news, but why wasn't a new Mystra chosen like the one's before her? I mean, we knew that whoever was going to be the keeper of the Weave was not going to be eternal, so how come her power didn't pass on to some one else, like it did with Midnight? What happened to Elminster and the rest of the Chosen after this? Does one of them get to become god/dess of magic?

AZUTH KILLED BY ASMODEUS?!!!?!?!??!?!!??? *Cries harder*
...The office of Magister is no more, either?
I'll prolly play 4e FR just so I can ensure that Cyric and Shar will drown in their own blood. And Asmodeus, too...Yep, no diety/archdevil is safe from my char's vengence now. Gloves are off...

Ed, How did you feel about this? I mean, Dweomerheart just exploding, the goddess of magic being murdered in her own realm, and all the power of the weave becoming unraveled, laying waste to area's of Faerun?
...You gotta tell me everything is gonna be ok, dude...lol

By the way, just pointing out that I haven't recieved and answer to my first question yet. Take your time, though. Just a little reminder .
My previous question was: Did the Simbul and Szass Tam ever directly meet in battle in any cannon (Or any non-cannon lore that you know about) lore? And if so, where can I read about it, cause that'd be a heck of a read.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by - Aerik DeVallo on 24 Mar 2009 13:58:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:05:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Archmagus Brandon

Not that I ever intend on recognizing/acknowledging such terrible news, but why wasn't a new Mystra chosen like the one's before her? I mean, we knew that whoever was going to be the keeper of the Weave was not going to be eternal, so how come her power didn't pass on to some one else, like it did with Midnight? What happened to Elminster and the rest of the Chosen after this? Does one of them get to become god/dess of magic?

In a manuever that contradicts and/or ignores all prior lore, Shar somehow blocked the ascension of a new deity of magic.

quote:

Ed, How did you feel about this? I mean, Dweomerheart just exploding, the goddess of magic being murdered in her own realm, and all the power of the weave becoming unraveled, laying waste to area's of Faerun?

Keep in mind that Ed has to have a working relationship with the WotC folks. You're likely to get a far more neutral and diplomatic response than you may want.

quote:

By the way, just pointing out that I haven't recieved and answer to my first question yet. Take your time, though. Just a little reminder .

Join the crowd. Some of us have had questions in Ed's queue for years. I myself can't even remember all the questions I've asked -- though Ed does keep a list of all questions that he works from. Here's a relevant quote from the lovely Lady Hooded One, from three years ago (I keep this one handy, because it's one I have to use every few months):

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, Ed knows that, all right.
His problem is threefold:
1. Total lack of time. Ed is actively writing or editing SIX projects (plus yours) right now, with another eleven sitting on his desk staring mutely at him, waiting. This means he just CAN’T go off into the basement (or the library of diskettes and Zip disks in his study, either), looking up older Realmslore. It also means he often has to drop everything to deal with emergencies (and the recent WotC layoffs have spawned a lot of those). Ed loves to answer your questions, but he’s as busy as the head of any major company or country - - without having any staff to support him. That means some of the larger-scope questions, or the really, really obscure points, just have to wait.
2. The minefield of constantly-shifting NDAs, and unfolding WotC and Paizo projects and articles Ed is aware of, but can’t publicly talk about. And doesn’t want to screw up. Many scribes ask about matters that a lot of Realms fans have wanted “cleared up” long ago. Other scribes ask about interesting things unfolding in recent books (e.g. the Shadovar). Still others ask about basics (agricultural practices, land-law). All of these things SHOULD be answered, and Ed wants to, but often other folks are already at work on answers, or MIGHT answer them as their novel or game sourcebook tromps through relevant real estate, or uses relevant NPCs. So Ed is duty-bound (and legally bound) to keep quiet. Sometimes even admitting that he’s keeping quiet will tip off Realms fans about something in the future that shouldn’t be revealed yet. So he waits…and waits…
3. Rules queries that shouldn’t be directed to Ed in the first place. You know, the “let’s use Ed’s opinion as a weapon in my ongoing argument about X” requests.
4. Questions about the gods, ditto. Yes, Ed created the great majority of deities specific to the FR setting. Yes, he detailed them, and provided spells for them. No, he’s never had the chance to put into print their prayers and rituals properly, or what daily life is like both for a humble priest and for an ambitious upperpriest in the upper echelons of church hierarchy. Yes, he wants to. No, he can’t move on this without WotC cooperation. And everyone, from other fiction writers to WotC designers to every FR fan, has their own, different - - often fiercely different - - ideas of what’s “right” and “true” about the gods. To Ed, most of this (arguing about the Dawn Cataclysm, for example, or Eilistraee) is just like arguing about the weather: fun (when it doesn’t turn nasty), but ultimately useless to the roleplaying experience (mortals can never know the truth, so the truth doesn’t matter: what matters is what priests and fiathful worshippers IN THE REALMS think). And so on. Yes, these are basics I’m reiterating, but it’s time to repeat them for all. Ed has a huge electronic file of ALL the queries not yet fully answered that have been posed in this thread. Not one gets forgotten, and Ed tries to answer one a day no matter how busy he is. So he’ll get to them, unless the gods take him from us first. Promise.
(No matter how lovingly I have to persuade him. And you know how lovingly THAT can be.)
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Let me help, as I was helped!
EDIT: Well, I see one of those helpful people I was tlaking about already answered a few questions better than myself.
Regarding Chosen: None of them have become a new god/dess of magic yet, and their status, besides what was published in FRCS, is unknown. Here is what I remeber is known:
Elminster hears voices in his head that he fears magic will release, due to ravages from the Spellplague. He no longer practices the Art, and has isolated himself, where others believe he is an insane hermit. He is a threat to no one as long as he does not cast magic. The consequences of this would be devastating.
The Simbul faked her death in 1425, and now lives in the Dalelands, in disguise, presumably caring and watching over Elminster.
Alustriel passed away (died a normal death).
Khelben gave up his life during the Mythal ceremony thing.
Qilue - beheaded by the Crescent Blade by Halistraa, along with Eilistraee, who was also destroyed.
Sylune - Used all her power to get rid of the dead magic field over Shadowdale, causing her to finally pass away.
Laeral, Dove, Storm - unknown. If I'm not mistaken, it was said that one of them had died (it wasn't revealed which one), but maybe I'm wrong.
Well, that's all I know and remeber. I'm sure other helpful people can help more.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 24 Mar 2009 14:07:46
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I'm betting more precise information about the fates of the Chosen, and the "whys" of Mystra's death and the lack of a new deity of magic ascending, are all going to be firmly and heavily NDAed for now.
Not that this is a particularly bold or risky bet on ym part, mind you.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Learned Scribe

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:14:44  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message
lol, your the man, Wooly.
I understand Ed is a busy guy. I mean, hey, he's the creater of Forgotten Realms...THO said it all when he's like the head of a country.
Thanks for posting so promptly. I didn't expect to hear a response from Ed or THO that denounced 4e or anything like that, just an author's perspective.

And, yes, Shar is a greater diety, but doesn't Ao have final say so of who's who among the gods? Perhaps she struck a deal with him. Maybe she will now be the new goddess of magic and have absolute power over the weave and the shadow weave. Woe to all who practice the arcane...
That's just pure speculation on my part, of course.

Thanks, Mene. That certainly answered a few questions and was extremely helpful. Thanks for the info!

What is 'NDA'?

Edited by - Aerik DeVallo on 24 Mar 2009 14:20:41
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:20:42  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Well, I'M betting you'll hear something out of Ed, soon, Archmagus. Though I suspect diplomatic words and invocation of NDAs will be involved.
And Ed has several times, over the years in this thread, said things akin to this: mortals in the Realms (and gamers in the real world) can't really be sure of what they think they "know" about the gods - - only about what priests and the gods (both of whom may be either lying or mistaken, and are always slanting things to cast their faith in the best and most important role) SAY is true or right about the gods.
So we may THINK Ao this and Shar that, but we can never really be sure . . .
And "NDA" stands for Non-Disclosure Agreement. Common in the game industry and other "intellectual property" business fields, like Hollywood. Someone signs a document with a company they are working for, as a freelancer or a staffer (usually if a staffer it's written into their employment contract rather than being its own document) that says they won't "spill the beans" to the rest of us about something that hasn't been released yet, until their superiors in the company say it's okay to talk about whatever it is.

Edited by - Malcolm on 24 Mar 2009 14:23:25
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Learned Scribe

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:23:31  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message
I see, Malcolm. Thanks for the imput.
NDA = No direct/darn answers? lol
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:54:21  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Ed has tackled this somewhat, but only briefly, in previous replies to concerns about the status of the Chosen in the post-Spellplague period. You might want to spend some time searching through the '08 reply file -- simply use the "So Saith Ed" URL in my sig to get you started.
quote:
As Wooly noted above, it's worth keeping in mind that this really isn't something Ed can fully comment on. Non-Disclosure-Agreements and other aspects of his relationship with WotC may mean that whatever answer may be forthcoming from Ed, will be heavily influenced by these factors.
quote:
My previous question was: Did the Simbul and Szass Tam ever directly meet in battle in any cannon (Or any non-cannon lore that you know about) lore? And if so, where can I read about it, cause that'd be a heck of a read.

Thanks in advance,

As I've said to some other scribes before, and as the Lady Hooded One states in that bit quoted above, it's not really necessary for you to re-post or remind Ed or the Lady Hooded One about previously asked questions. I mean, I've still got some questions outstanding from 2004, when Ed first started taking questions here at Candlekeep. But I know from previous comments that Ed can only tackle certain questions at a time. And with an ever increasing list of questions waiting to be answered, Ed must maintain a measure of focus.

And besides, the Lady Hooded One is a particularly vigilant lass when it comes to such matters here at Candlekeep, and has assured us many times that nearly every appropriate question asked to Ed has been passed along. If there's something she has missed, then it's usually only because of slight errors in posting technique here. And we Mods are fairly dedicated toward ensuring that rarely happens.

Rest assured, we're all on it!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Learned Scribe

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:55:10  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message
Thanks, Sage.
I'll be patient. As I said, there's no hurry. I just figured since this forum gets so many posts/replies, it may have been lost in all the hubub. Now I know different. Thanks for the reassurences, everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:56:19  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Regarding Shar nad the Shdow Weave after Mystra's death: currently impossible. Shar and Cyric miscalculated. They indeed planed to take control of the Weave after Mystra's death, but it collapsed, along with the Shadow Weave.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Learned Scribe

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:59:23  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message
HAA!!! Take that you coniving vipers! (Cyric and Shar, that is.)
Thanks for the info, Mene.
Wonder what She and Cyric will do now? They have to be in danger from the other dieties seeking vengence, right? I mean, Selune herself must be pretty upset, not to mention Cyric's many enemies.

Is this kind of speculation inappropriate? I'd hate to be banned from Candlekeep.

Edited by - Aerik DeVallo on 24 Mar 2009 15:00:59
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  15:34:36  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

HAA!!! Take that you coniving vipers! (Cyric and Shar, that is.)
Thanks for the info, Mene.
Wonder what She and Cyric will do now? They have to be in danger from the other dieties seeking vengence, right? I mean, Selune herself must be pretty upset, not to mention Cyric's many enemies.

Is this kind of speculation inappropriate? I'd hate to be banned from Candlekeep.

It isn't inappropriate but lets take it to another scroll and leave this one for Ed. :) A lot of chatter has been filling up his scroll lately.

Edit: Ha! Beat Sage by three seconds! Grin.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Mar 2009 15:35:29
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  15:35:00  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Any and all Realmslore discussion, regardless of edition, is welcome here at Candlekeep Brandon.

I would prefer, however, that any speculation not directly pertaining to questions for Ed be taken to other existing scrolls on the subject. Or, if you would like, simply open a new scroll for further discussion on the topic of Shar and Cyric.

It's just something I like to suggest, so that when I get to compiling the Ed-lore from this scroll, I don't have to shuffle through post after post of non-Ed-lore-related discussions.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Learned Scribe

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  15:36:24  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message
Will do, Sage. Your awesome
I completely undersand, and wouldn't want to have to go through all the unrelated hubub, either. Archiving is a hard job and I'm sorry if I've contributed to it's difficulty for you.

General FR Chat: Topic - Cyric and Shar's Most Foul Betrayal.

Look forward to hearing the views and opinions of any and all!

Edited by - Aerik DeVallo on 24 Mar 2009 15:47:52
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  20:06:36  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
In a manuever that contradicts and/or ignores all prior lore, Shar somehow blocked the ascension of a new deity of magic.

I have a different theory: that Mystra, knowing that it was time for change, allowed her own death to happen, while simulateneously arranging things so that Shar wouldn't gain her power.
Re:the Chosen: Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that Laeral had died?

Gomez

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  22:29:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
It was mentioned in Blackstaff Tower that Laeral passed away, but no details. And you should check out my theory on Brandon's thread for Mystra's death...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14399 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  03:46:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Someone is fond of the 'Puppet man' from the TV show Heroes.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

A first level wizard can make themselves an essentially-permanent sex slave, especially if they pick someone good looking with the brain of sand. And since many places keep "apprentices" around far beyond the first level, the potential for trouble staggers the mind.

The Ministry of Magic steps in and stops any underage or un-authorized use of magic.

Oops.... wrong setting.

Anyhow, without the use of magic (directly), this sort of behaviour goes on quite a bit, especially between master and apprentice, and even between apprentices. Thayans are known for it; apprentices - both male and female - are expected to 'perform' WHATEVER task is asked of them. I believe Calimshan has a reputation for this as well... but it goes on just about everywhere (including RW) at times. Young apprentices become enthralled with their masters, and mistake it for love, and unscrupulous types often take advantage of the situation, as do older students (who are more knowledgable) with younger students.

Occassionally, it is the 'victim' that is the actual instigating party - many a pretty female (and male) aspiring mage has gotten spells and magical knowledge out of older, 'doting' Sages. The Shadowsil is an excellent example of one such a 'pretty lass' (who managed to con both Elminster and Manshoon!) Lirael from Elaine's wonderful novels also used her wiles thusly (what? Shes a Drow!)

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Regarding Shar and the Shadow Weave after Mystra's death: currently impossible. Shar and Cyric miscalculated. They indeed planed to take control of the Weave after Mystra's death, but it collapsed, along with the Shadow Weave.

Shar got what she wanted, and no longer needed the crutch that was the Shadoweave. Mystra got both Arcane and Ubral energies from her two mothers, but she never bothered with the 'dark side' of her power. Shar took advantage of that situation by creating the Shadoweave within the shadow of Mystra's own Weave.

Now that Mystra's been 'shattered', the original power has gone back to Selune and Shar - Shar can tap into the Shadowfel directly, as can her followers now, and without the Weave around, there's absolutely no need for her to build another competing 'interface' again.

But I do agree Shar was foiled somewhat - she was trying to get ALL of Mystra's power, but only got her own back, so there is definately something more to the story.

Cyric was just her dupe - she was planning for him before he was even born.

Ed's Answers: I have learned, through trial and error, that if you ask a question that is already founded in Realmslore and is NOT covered by an NDA and Ed (or THO) happens to already know the answer, then you get a fast reply (which is why I like to stick to geograpy). If it's something Ed has thought about but hasn't fully committed to paper, it may be awhile before you get an answer (because the man can create faster then he can write it all down). If it is something that he hasn't even thought about - and I doubt there's a lot of subjects like that - then you'd better hope it at least sparks his interest enough to put some though into it immediately, otherwise you may be waiting a LONG time.

And because I mentioned "things Ed hasn't thought about", I had to think of at least one question that could possibly fall into that category -

Why do Liches bother to wear clothes?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  04:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
And because I mentioned "things Ed hasn't thought about", I had to think of at least one question that could possibly fall into that category -

Known unknowns? Unknown unknowns?

quote:

Habit.

And on to a question... Ed, I'm not sure if I've asked this already, but what can you tell us (if anything, *hisses at NDAs*) about Yanseldara and Vaerana Hawklyn before they came to rule Elversult?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 25 Mar 2009 04:53:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  05:58:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Where else are they going to keep all their components and magical goodies, as well as such mundane things like quills and keys?

There's likely a degree of vanity with some liches, as well, though I'd not think this widespread. Nice, fancy robes cover up and make it easier to overlook rotting flesh.

Though habit is likely the best reason.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000