Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  23:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I'm not sure what to say, but I feel I should say something.

Death has always had the power to render me speechless.

*Takes her hat off and bows her head*

Rest well, Jamallo Kreen.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  00:31:24  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
I never really spoke much to JK. Still, sympathies to all affected.

All the best,
Wolfram

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  00:52:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

My fellow scribes and sages... would it be a bad idea, if each of us lit a candle, in private, to Jamallo's memory? I think that would be a nice way to honor a long-time poster and respected member of our community.
Aye.

I'm also thinking about collecting together some of Jamallo's best Realms posts/scrolls here at Candlekeep and compiling them into a PDF-styled source that future scribes could access. I'd dedicate it the man himself, and include Ed's own heart-felt responses as a tribute.

If any scribes here want to assist me with such an endeavour, either by finding/sorting any posts made by Jamallo for inclusion in the PDF, please let me know via PM.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  02:48:58  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
To Jamallo:

We shall collect your books and scrolls. We will bind them to our hearts and
and imprint them in our minds, so you knowledge may never pass away. May
your books have strong bindings on them so we may never need worry about
they steadfastness, and be able to hand them around to all in future generations
without worry of damage. Your scrolls we shall tie with ribbons instead of
seal with wax, so we can open them and be reminded of your studies and your contributions. Your knowledge was keen, your wit was sharp, and you
friendship enjoyed. The next time I pick up a quill and blotter, may I be reminded
of what you shared with us and feel you guide what I write. Tonight, I shall cut my studies short and raise a tankard to one of our fallen.

Our best to the loved ones left behind, for their's is the keenest loss of all.

Scrolls closed,
Althen Artren
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  02:56:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Althen, I commend you for putting into words what most of us felt and could not express.

I also found this and though I should share:

Death is nothing at all.
It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Everything remains as it was.
The old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no sorrow in your tone.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort
Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was.
There is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost.
One brief moment and all will be as it was before.
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting, when we meet again.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  04:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
My condolences as well.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Scribes, let us raise glasses, now and when April rolls around in years to come: to Jammlo Kreen! We shall not forget.

And well said Ed. I've always told my friends that when I pass I would much rather be remembered and celebrated rather than mourned. And I think its true for all creatures.

*Gelcur raises his glass.*

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  04:15:27  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Light, Peace, and Progress to the JK and his family.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  05:55:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

My sincere condolences.
I didn't know Jamallo Kreen well, but it is always a sad day if a person in ones community passes on.
I believe that at least we are lucky that someone took the time to come online and told us of his passing, and to not let him dissapear anonymously into the void.
Agreed.

I often wonder what happens to people who just vanish off forums, and I would like to thank elfchild for bringing us this news, however sad.

He took the time to tell people he doesn't even know about the passing of a mutaul friend - SALUTE!

@Sage - thats a lovely thought; a CK tribute to the man and his love for the Realms sounds like a very good idea.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Apr 2009 06:16:17
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  10:04:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elfchild

Well met.

This isn't really a question for Ed, but I felt it important to post it here. Please forgive me if the moderators don't feel it appropriate.

I wanted to let the readers, the Hooded One, and Ed know that last week JamalloKreen passed away suddenly. He was an avid poster to this thread over the years, so I thought it only right that you all knew about it. I only found out a couple of hours ago.

Christian (his real name) was the DM for my game and he held Ed in the highest regard. He would show up at games with the newest bit of Realmslore - excited to weave it into his elaborate story. He would always tell us that he was trying to give us the feeling of playing in Ed Greenwood's home game. His game was singularly unique and sadly ends without conclusion.

So Hooded One, I do hope you can relay to Ed the thanks of myself and the other players in my campaign. These Forgotten Realms, and specifically the additional information Ed has generously supplied, made Christian feel like he was part of something really special. I know that while he is gone from the material plane, his spirit lives on in all of the players who had to pleasure to game with him.

Please forgive the fact that my first post here had to be so sad. Christian never wanted us to come here, lest we spoil any surprises he had in store for our characters. If any of you knew JamalloKreen well or have anything to say about him, I'll share anything sent to me with the rest of my group.

The world has lost a great sage, and the Realms have lost a great DM.

My Heart filled Condolences to friends and family.

life with all its pleasures; both great and small, has pain to counter it.
The bad with the good, walk hand in hand through life.
when one is born, the mold is broken, when one dies the map is destroyed, leaving only memories and a feint imprint.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:39:48  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message
Does THO or Ed have something to say about Dave Arneson? I've heard that he have only a few days of life...
Maybe JK, Gygax and Arneson will play the best campaign ever on after-life...

Until there, lets hope he still have some more years to enlighten our world. Unfortunetly, even the legends dies...

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:08:18  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
I enjoyed your opinions, Jamallo, thanks. May your next life be as interesting as the last.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:57:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, Ed and Dave are old friends, who have long chats whenever they see each other at cons - - and although Dave's been in a wheelchair recently (which is what happened to Gary in the end, too), his mind and enthusiasms are as bright and energetic as ever. Or so he was when last I saw him, so that is how I'll remember him, if his time has come.
If you should read this, Mr. Arneson, I'm the gal from a Milwaukee-era GenCon whom you asked Ed if I was aware the man's shirt I was wearing was unbuttoned down to the waist, and he said that yes, I'd not only noticed, but I'd done that deliberately, and you grinned and shook your head and said, "Damn, I was born too early."

love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 07 Apr 2009 00:06:07
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:04:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

I wanted to let the readers, the Hooded One, and Ed know that last week JamalloKreen passed away suddenly. He was an avid poster to this thread over the years, so I thought it only right that you all knew about it. I only found out a couple of hours ago.

Oh my God. I'm so sorry to hear that. We definitely lost a good guy.

*raises glass*

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Apr 2009 16:14:17
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  18:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
Oh no! JK? Gone?

This is a sad day indeed. I know I, for one, had thought very highly of his voice, and I am glad he was with us for the time we had.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  18:40:02  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Thanks Ashe,

I haven't been a frequent poster here, but I've read so much
of the posts that I feel like I know everybody a little bit.
I'm sure that everybody else feels the same way. Would I
have liked off the board talks with him, yeah. I'd like that
with everybody. But my world just doesn't allow it. Not enough time.
But, I do understand him a little due to his written words.
May they never be lost.
I hope someone will tell the rest of the Keep if I go too soon.
Gotta go, need to shed some tears.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  22:43:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I think I can handle this query from Asgetrion, before Ed "gets back":
Here's something I've yearned to ask Ed about for some time now... it concerns the "sundries" shops in the Realms: are they what we would call second-hand shops, and do they buy (and sell) all kinds of stuff (e.g. cutlery, tools and clothes) or just "adventuring gear" (armor, weapons, scabbards, etc.)? Also, can you trade stuff there, i.e. a farmer brings in a used shovel and trades it into, say, a knife and a belt?
How about "allgoods" shops I've seen mentioned... are they equivalent to "general stores"? Or can you really buy/order, well, *all* sorts of stuff in them?
Thanks in advance!

Right, here I go, cribbing unashamedly from Ed's notes . . .

A "sundries" shop means a shop that doesn't specialize in one thing, but carries several lines of wares (e.g. glass floats for nets, wicker baskets, some cooking oils and wines, and gloves or trinkets, all in the same place). Some of the goods MIGHT be used, in some sundries shops.

An "allgoods" shop tries to carry everything that will sell regularly, in a given locale. So it's the Faerunian equivalent of a general store. There's no guarantee of getting any particular something (the shopper in front of you may well have bought their last storm-lantern), and few of these shops will special-order anything unless Volo/Ed has noted them doing so (it's rare, not the norm).

Neither of these sorts of stores is necessarily useful to adventurers (except those seeking "everyday gear" like towels, blankets, short coils of rope or tying twine, candles, belt knives, lamp oil, and lanterns. Shops specializing in arms, armor, long lengths of continuous rope, cages, and anything specifically intended for use in disguises is always noted as such (when Ed's doing the writing, anyway).

So a "sundries" shop can be anything from the Realms equivalent of a scratch-n-dent warehouse or army surplus store, down to a boutique that sells scented candles and one other not-necessarily-related sort of goods (like pots). An "allgoods" shop tries to be the local department store, though the range of its goods is shaped by the usual local clientele, and limited by the proximity of other local shops that specialize (so if there's a locksmith across the road, don't expect to find anything much in the way of locks in an allgoods store except perhaps hasps, or [hidden under the counter, and sold only to those who ask] lockpicks).

So saith me. Except that most of those sentences are Ed's just rearranged and edited by me into a specific answer to your query, Asgetrion.
So there you are!
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 06 Apr 2009 22:49:45
Go to Top of Page

WraithCaller
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  23:04:28  Show Profile  Visit WraithCaller's Homepage Send WraithCaller a Private Message
I have a question for Ed about the Sultlues, whose villainy he discussed in 2008.

According to the 3.5 Web Enhancement for Waterdeep: City of Splendors, the Sultlues are a Tashalan noble family originally from Lushpool, who worship the Yuan-ti god Sseth and have numerous members that possess the Snake Blood feat (meaning they have some Yuan-ti blood).

I was wondering, what is the extent of the Sultlue's connection to the Yuan-ti?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  23:44:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi. Well, obviously I'm not Ed, and he will certainly provide you with a juicy “proper” Realmslore answer to this great query, WraithCaller, but the short answer is going to be:

It depends on the family member.
Some of the younger generation have nothing to do with Yuan-ti, and a few even don't believe the "family stories" about direct connections, believing only in "some unfortunate magical curse or other, decades back, that gives some of us a few scales and fangs and limited venom immunities."
However, others work hand-in-glove with certain secretive yuan-ti, and there have even been recent romances. (Which were far more frequent one and two generations of Sultlues ago.)

This much I know as a player in Ed's "home" Realms campaign, not from seeing any notes of his (or Eric Boyd's, for that matter). We met (and fought) yuan-ti who were meeting with Sultlues, and on one occasion lovemaking with a Sultlue!
love,
THO
P.S. I've since found some of MY notes of play session, and can tell you where a certain magical sabre that "fires" serpents (one/3 days, venomous, never found out the strength of poison, but it was fast-acting and fatal) upon command is hidden - - or WAS hidden, by a Sultlue, in a sewer in Waterdeep.
A lady never tells, of course ... but then, I'm no lady.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 07 Apr 2009 00:11:51
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  01:35:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:

Well met.

This isn't really a question for Ed, but I felt it important to post it here. Please forgive me if the moderators don't feel it appropriate.

Christian (his real name) was the DM for my game and he held Ed in the highest regard. He would show up at games with the newest bit of Realmslore - excited to weave it into his elaborate story. He would always tell us that he was trying to give us the feeling of playing in Ed Greenwood's home game. His game was singularly unique and sadly ends without conclusion.

So Hooded One, I do hope you can relay to Ed the thanks of myself and the other players in my campaign. These Forgotten Realms, and specifically the additional information Ed has generously supplied, made Christian feel like he was part of something really special. I know that while he is gone from the material plane, his spirit lives on in all of the players who had to pleasure to game with him.

Please forgive the fact that my first post here had to be so sad. Christian never wanted us to come here, lest we spoil any surprises he had in store for our characters. If any of you knew JamalloKreen well or have anything to say about him, I'll share anything sent to me with the rest of my group.

The world has lost a great sage, and the Realms have lost a great DM.

I don't want to take up too much space in Ed's thread, but I was absolutely stunned when I saw that JK had passed on. I've not been around much lately, but he was truly a fixture of this place, and I'm greatly saddened that he won't be here to conjecture and poke and prod new Realmslore out of anyone.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  06:12:45  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Thanks, Wooly. Yes, Volo's Dalelands. Must hunt up my copy and have another read, because my memory is obviously fading. Sigh.
On the other hand, I guess that means I can enjoy old my old Realms adventure modules all over again!!!!

Just to add: there were a few oddball questions on the Fall of Stars a few years back on the Ambreeauta and Breeandra Nenthyn (who own and run the Fall).
If your friend is dealing with 4th ed Realms, the Fall of Stars plays a role in a few LFR adventures.

Edited by - gomez on 07 Apr 2009 06:13:19
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  06:49:42  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
THO, while the Bearded One is away, and we have the chance to prod you (double entendre much?) for 'THO lore', I have a question for you (though, of course, if Ed insisted on expanding upon it, I wouldn't cry overmuch) which was brought on by your mention of the serpent-shooting sabre above. What sort (and in what amount) of magic items were 'common' in your home game? Were they mostly 'common' items (i.e. rings of protection, swords +x, cloaks of elvenkind,-even if they had cool names and histories) or were they rarer items, thus given more rarely (or some combination of the two)? Would you call it a 'high magic' game, or not? From what I've read, I'm sure that the game wasn't driven by such rewards but also from what I've read, I know they played a part.
And thanks, as always, for sharing your lore and your time

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 07 Apr 2009 06:51:10
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  09:58:14  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message
Damn and blast! Jamallo was a nice guy. I always enjoyed listening to what he had to say, (though I didn't always agree with his opinions!) and it's really sad to hear he's no longer with us... well physically, at least, I'm sure many of us will remember him fondly, so he's definetly still around in spirit.

So long, Christian, you'll be missed but not forgotten.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  12:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
By Moradin´s beard! Jamallo was a really nice friend, someone with always have something to add to our ideas, and to share his creativity and imagination with us.

What a sad new...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  12:55:57  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Tonight I shall go forth and have a drink for Jamallo.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  15:19:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
To the Knight of the Gate, re. the query on magic items, above:

Well, magic items in Ed's game tend to be of two sorts. A FEW were items you've seen in the rules, that Ed designed for TSR/WotC, that we were "unwitting playtesters" for (TSR of course could always assemble "witting playtesters," but you need a strong, ongoing campaign with many layers of detail for the playtesters not to know right away that they're playtesting.
The vast majority of items were "Ed specials," because our experimentation with them encouraged roleplaying, and because hidden powers (later revealed) could be used to nudge us into later adventures. Most of them were of this sort:
+1 dagger (remember, needed just to hit certain sorts of creatures, in the rules editions current at the time) that can be made to glow like a lantern upon command, or ITSELF go invisible (not the wielder), or feather fall automatically, or "float in midair" upon command when released by a hand (and so can be used to "hang things in midair" or as a 'handhold" in the middle of a chasm). The dagger might have a second power, like the power to "record" and play back twelve words spoken near it after a command word, or every sound heard by the wielder in a minute, or two minutes, after activation (so the wielder could murmur "anahabra" to activate the dagger, and then "record" a villain giving orders to kill a king, for example).
There were many items like this, but that doesn't mean we adventurers had them. Most of us ended up, at around 9th level (SIX years of real-time frequent adventuring), with a magic sword, a magic dagger, and a ring or "oddball" item, each. A mayor might have one of those glow-daggers, or a noble or grizzled veteran traveling merchant trader; powerful NPCs had more magic than we ever did.
It encourages good roleplaying, and mitigates "adventurer swagger" (hey, we're the heroes here, the ONLY heroes in this game, so we can bully and dominate people and give orders like runaway cops, because we can "take" anyone who disagrees with us). Ed HATES such misbehaviour, and to indulge in it always meant getting taught a lesson by a blacksmith who MADE magic swords (". . . and one day, one day, I will find that six-fingered man, and I will say to him, Hello! My name is--") or a far more unlikely commoner, eventually.
There's a popular myth in gaming that the Realms was "high-magic gonzo," but that's how TSR wanted to position it - - not how Ed's home campaign depicts it. Ed's view is: this world is always more complicated, more many-layered, than you think. Only use the layers you want to for YOUR campaign, but don't think "that's all the Realms is." Ed even has items (like the Rod of Seven Parts, only far lower-powered) whose powers grow as you collect and fit together its component pieces (each of which has a single power of its own, but each COMBINATION of which also "awakens" other powers, in addition to the piece-powers.
Again, it's all about encouraging roleplaying.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  15:53:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Ed even has items (like the Rod of Seven Parts, only far lower-powered) whose powers grow as you collect and fit together its component pieces (each of which has a single power of its own, but each COMBINATION of which also "awakens" other powers, in addition to the piece-powers.
love,
THO

Steven Schend wrote an article about items like this. The article was entitled "Series Magic" and appeared in Dragon 213. It was also in this article that we found out Elminster and Khelben both like pizza, but the latter doesn't care for frozen pizza.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  16:02:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Ed even has items (like the Rod of Seven Parts, only far lower-powered) whose powers grow as you collect and fit together its component pieces (each of which has a single power of its own, but each COMBINATION of which also "awakens" other powers, in addition to the piece-powers.
love,
THO

Steven Schend wrote an article about items like this. The article was entitled "Series Magic" and appeared in Dragon 213. It was also in this article that we found out Elminster and Khelben both like pizza, but the latter doesn't care for frozen pizza.

I remember that article. Because I initially used it as a excuse to drop a pizza into the Realms for the PCs during one adventure session. They initially scoffed at the idea of such conventional fare in the Realms. Whereupon I quickly reminded them that Ed himself had noted pizza-like edibles in the Realms already:- "The taverns of Tantras serve the usual drinks and ‘hot buns' covered with melted cheese (some taverns putting sliced olives or slices of sausage on the cheese so they'll stick, to make their buns distinctive and popular), but little other food."

Sounds like pizza to me.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  17:38:07  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message
Until I don't receive the answer from Ed, i have some questions to you, THO, about your campaign...
After reading many novels, I'm trying to play a more "realistic" game... I hate the idea of even after a tough fight, everybody getting up with healing surges (on 4e) or many cleric's healing powers (2nd and 3rd edition). How do you (and Ed) control it?
What about some realistics moves like threatening someone's throat with a dagger?
Do you have some special house-rule?

I've almost thought of playing Gurps on FR... But I think it would need too much balancing and development of the rules.

I've got tired of seeing "robo-cops characters" with thousands of magic itens and powerfull combos... Even my group taking a media of 1.5 encounters per session (what is very rare in Brazil) I would like to make it more like a novel than a Pure-Action PC game.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  17:50:06  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
JK's writings were always worth reading. He will be missed

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  18:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

love,
THO

Arm of Valor detailed in Myth Drannor Boxed Set was one such "Set Item" created by Ed, I think. One PC in my group actually found two pieces, but in the end we found it to be far too powerful (and unpredictable) to our taste (and it drew the unwanted attention of certain organizations, as well). I can't recall how we lost those parts... but I suspect we just gave it away as a "contribution" (i.e. a payment for healing, resurrection, restoration, and identification of other magical items) to the clergy of Shaundakul found in the ruins?

Experimenting with magical items has always been fun... and items created by Ed (such as those +1 "glowdaggers") were far more interesting than 99% of the "core" magic items.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000