Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  01:06:38  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Belts loosed, scribes:

My sincerest apologies, Ed. Indeed, you should be at the
front of the line. I step back to #2, being the gentleman I am.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  02:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers
I would say that elves lose their 'free-er' natures as they get older, and centuries of living slowly drive them to more traditional clan/family ideals.

Then after a couple more centuries they start to go insane (much like the Chosen do/are doing). All those memories and experiences are perhaps too much for them.

They do say that one gets more conservative the older one gets. But that's not actually been my experience - I've become more progressive the older I get! It just goes to show that generalizations are not always right.

As for going insane over time - well there's a difference between humans and elves. Humans aren't designed to last for more than about 70-80 years (and that may well be lower in the Realms), while Elves are designed to live for hundreds of years (and depending on your elf, that might even be thousands).

(snip)

How old (in human years) was that incredibly ancient elf in Cormyr: A Novel who had overseen the beginning of Cormyr and its rise to world (or at least "regional") power? As I recall, he was fond of wands and had fought the Purple Dragon at least once.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

bobwriggins
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  02:46:22  Show Profile  Visit bobwriggins's Homepage Send bobwriggins a Private Message
Dear Ed and Dearer THO,

While I'm waiting in line for a spanking (spanker or spankee, doesn't matter, I like 'em both) I thought I'd try to get a quick opinion from the grand creator himself. My two daughters, ages 12 and 9 have been introduced to the Realms through Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, and seem to be quite interested in taking on actual role playing face-to-face. Does Ed have any suggestions on introducing younger playrs to the Realms?

Thanks,

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  03:40:05  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

(snip)

Lastly, the Roll of years....

We now have two Rolls of Years, and I have a feeling the WotC is going to be using the new one to 'get out of' stuff on the original. My own theory is that the Black Chronology trumps Alaundo's - it was a 'divergent path' of prophesy that Shar forced the timeline to detour down.

I think this because they haven't really given us much of it, which leads me to believe designers left it open so they can put the year-names in as the need them, which is less restrictive then them trying to shoe-horn their stories into the year-names. The created their own set of make-it-up-as-you-go prophesies.

Think about it - how the heck are they going to do 1425 DR: Year of the Seven Sisters now?

Also note that the only roll of Years included in the GHotR (in part) was the Black Chronology, not the old one, which WAS included in Brian's original. They obviously want people's attention focused on this new roll of years over the older one.

If there is a complete listing of the Black Chronology available (for free) on the internet, will someone please post a link to it here?

As for 1425 DR, Markustay, the Seven Sisters of the year name are: Zelda, Magda, Frieda, Arrabella, Bertha, Bettina, and Liz. Zelda being the name of the Goddess of Shopping (wife of Murray, God of Parking Spaces), 1425 may be a year for "interloper" deities to arrive on Toril. (Connie, is, I think, a foster sister, so she doesn't count as part of the "seven," even though most people regard them as eight sisters.)

Now that I have cleared that up, Ed, will you please tell us how Years of the Hierodulic Wolverines (1078) and the Parchment Heretical (1167) earned their names? I'm guessing that the Wolverines (heroes of the war against Cuba and the U.S.S.R. as we John Milius fans know) were servants of either Selune or Silvanus. Real details, please, Ed?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  04:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message
Hello Ed, I am looking of sun elven houses on evermeet, particularly information upon House Alenuath and any noble sun elven houses in the city of Ruith. Also information upon sun elven festivals, as in what they do during them, would be good.

Thank you

~herkles~
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:04:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

P.S. I am SUCH a tease. Time to spank me, someone. Line up, fellas.
AND lasses!

I'm thinking of the line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. What comes after the spankings interests me more than the spankings!

You know, my travel agent had never heard of Castle Anthrax! How the hell am I supposed to go there on vacation?!?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Mar 2009 05:16:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:07:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

If there is a complete listing of the Black Chronology available (for free) on the internet, will someone please post a link to it here?

From the description in Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave (page 159), the Black Chronology starts in 1352. From that page:

quote:
The shadows fall properly and other signs make it more clear. At long last, the Black Chronology is coming to fruition. I trust in the shadows that dance at the edge of my sight, for Shar enfolds me in her dark embrace. I can with some authority claim that this year, 1352 DR, is indeed the Year of the Lost King, first year of the Black Chronology. I know that the events prophesied in the Book of the Black will soon come to pass.
Behold the Roll of Years and its Shadow. In due time we shall all bear witness to unfolding of Shar's greatest work.

It only goes up to 1385, the year of the Sellplague. From everything in the description, I'm assuming that there are no listings before 1352 or after 1385 as part of the Black Chronology.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:09:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Herkles

Hello Ed, I am looking of sun elven houses on evermeet, particularly information upon House Alenuath and any noble sun elven houses in the city of Ruith. Also information upon sun elven festivals, as in what they do during them, would be good.

Thank you

~herkles~

Just a note, in case you didn't see my other comment: it appears that House Alenuath is a moon elf family.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:15:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

P.S. I am SUCH a tease. Time to spank me, someone. Line up, fellas.
AND lasses!

I'm thinking of the line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That interests me more than the spankings!
You've obviously never seen the inside of the Lady Hooded One's chamber here at Candlekeep. One could easily mistake it for a boat-house. What with all the oars and paddles and such*.

* Points to the scribe who notes where that particular reference comes from.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:15:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

From the description in Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave (page 159), the Black Chronology starts in 1352. From that page:

quote:
The shadows fall properly and other signs make it more clear. At long last, the Black Chronology is coming to fruition. I trust in the shadows that dance at the edge of my sight, for Shar enfolds me in her dark embrace. I can with some authority claim that this year, 1352 DR, is indeed the Year of the Lost King, first year of the Black Chronology. I know that the events prophesied in the Book of the Black will soon come to pass.
Behold the Roll of Years and its Shadow. In due time we shall all bear witness to unfolding of Shar's greatest work.

It only goes up to 1385, the year of the Sellplague. From everything in the description, I'm assuming that there are no listings before 1352 or after 1385 as part of the Black Chronology.

Which is why I'm still inclined to assume that what Ed said above earlier, and what we've been discussing as well, is that just because certain references on the Roll of Years might seem familiar, doesn't necessarily mean that they actually are. And it might also mean that they don't necessarily refer to what we would naturally assume they refer to.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:19:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Herkles

Also information upon sun elven festivals, as in what they do during them, would be good.
While you're awaiting a response from Ed, I assume you've checked most of the elven sources in the Realmslore? Like Races of Faerûn for example? I seem to recall one or two brief bits about sun elf rituals/festivals in that tome. [And Demihuman Deities for that matter as well]

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:21:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Which is why I'm still inclined to assume that what Ed said above earlier, and what we've been discussing as well, is that just because certain references on the Roll of Years might seem familiar, doesn't necessarily mean that they actually are. And it might also mean that they don't necessarily refer to what we would naturally assume they refer to.

Indeed. I've learned not to make assumptions about year names on the Roll. And since I started the little project of fixing the errors on the Roll, I've learned a lot of interesting things about some of those year names!

I remember a few years back, discussing 1375, the Year of Risen Elfkin. While the elven Crusade is an obvious choice for the definition, I pointed out that it could have been something else entirely, like the birth of or the rise to prominence of a particular half-elf.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:33:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually, that brings up another "Roll of Years" -related question that has to do with its compilation. But I want to check my facts exactly first, before I ask Ed. I've got a sneaking suspicion the answer may be hiding behind an NDA, but it's worth asking anyway.

In fact, Brian might have some insight into this as well. I'll edit this post with my question later.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Mar 2009 05:38:15
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:56:32  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Indeed. I've learned not to make assumptions about year names on the Roll. And since I started the little project of fixing the errors on the Roll, I've learned a lot of interesting things about some of those year names!

I remember a few years back, discussing 1375, the Year of Risen Elfkin. While the elven Crusade is an obvious choice for the definition, I pointed out that it could have been something else entirely, like the birth of or the rise to prominence of a particular half-elf.

Or the year a certain half-elven ranger picks up the Warblade.

Yep, never going to give up on this one. I *will* see it canonized...

In regards to the Black Chronology in Cormyr:tToW, the listed years are copied from the other book, so that's not the only years recorded. In fact, in Anauroch:EoS, it's mentioned that Amgauthra the Mad was chronicling both the Roll of Years and the Black Chronology at the same time. During the day, she would chronicle the roll, while be plagued by the Black Chronology at night. So I'd say it's safe to assume that there are just as many years listed for the BC as there are for the RoY.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  06:07:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

In regards to the Black Chronology in Cormyr:tToW, the listed years are copied from the other book, so that's not the only years recorded. In fact, in Anauroch:EoS, it's mentioned that Amgauthra the Mad was chronicling both the Roll of Years and the Black Chronology at the same time. During the day, she would chronicle the roll, while be plagued by the Black Chronology at night. So I'd say it's safe to assume that there are just as many years listed for the BC as there are for the RoY.

I'd not assume that, myself. We have a clear reference to the Black Chronology starting in 1352. From what I quoted earlier: "I can with some authority claim that this year, 1352 DR, is indeed the Year of the Lost King, first year of the Black Chronology." Agauthra the Mad was writing the Book of the Black at the same time -- not necessarily an entire alternate Roll. My assumption is that the Book of the Black focuses mainly on the events of the Black Chronology. Some stuff on events leading up to it, sure, but the bulk of it would be the events of the BC. I don't see anything that indicates to me that the Black Chronology goes past 1385.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  06:15:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
My apologies, oh furry one. It does indeed say first year in Cormyr. I'm currently running Anauroch for my party and reading how Augathra (sorry for the misspelling earlier, it is quite late) spent 'countless lifetimes' chronicling the Roll of Years and being tormented by Shar's Black Chronology, that I thought there would be more to it than a what was listed in the adventure.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  08:32:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I'd not assume that, myself. We have a clear reference to the Black Chronology starting in 1352. From what I quoted earlier: "I can with some authority claim that this year, 1352 DR, is indeed the Year of the Lost King, first year of the Black Chronology." Agauthra the Mad was writing the Book of the Black at the same time -- not necessarily an entire alternate Roll. My assumption is that the Book of the Black focuses mainly on the events of the Black Chronology. Some stuff on events leading up to it, sure, but the bulk of it would be the events of the BC. I don't see anything that indicates to me that the Black Chronology goes past 1385.

And I think I'm going to craft a special entry in the Candlekeep's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ for this. Because as the 4e timeline becomes more and more established through events in novels and the DDi articles, it seems likely that some scribes will look back on what was revealed in the Roll of Years both before and after the Spellplague when attempting to plot undetailed events between 1385 DR and 1479 DR.

I'm also going to include those notes from Ed about understanding just what the year names on the Roll of Years are all about.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  14:56:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
This time, I bring you Ed's response to this recent query from bobwriggins: "Dear Ed and Dearer THO, While I'm waiting in line for a spanking (spanker or spankee, doesn't matter, I like 'em both) I thought I'd try to get a quick opinion from the grand creator himself. My two daughters, ages 12 and 9 have been introduced to the Realms through Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, and seem to be quite interested in taking on actual role playing face-to-face. Does Ed have any suggestions on introducing younger players to the Realms? Thanks, Bob"
Ed replies:

Sure. :} I'm going to assume that you're completely new to handling beginner players, so please don't be offended by the way I answer this, okay? I'll be happy to say more, differently, if this is too basic.
Here's what I'd do: pick a small rural place in the Realms that's located on a caravan route (like Shadowdale), so you can give Player Characters a "ready road" to cool-sounding other places in the Realms, and some means (gossipy travelers/traders, stopping at the small rural place for a night) of hearing about those places.
Give your daughters "young, bored characters who want adventure" to play, let them shape those characters entirely themselves after you give them the stats (I'd say two rogue types who discover a precious long-hidden cache of stainless steel-vial healing potions very early on, and some magic . . . plus an opportunity to discover that they both have some talent for the Art [can work magic]). Don't worry about rules editions or specific rules; as DM, shape the adventure they have like a storyteller or the director of a TV episode, making sure the action moves along, they have plenty of challenges (puzzle-solving, decisions to make as to who to trust or which lead to follow up on), and PLAY the NPCs like a ham actor, building a supporting cast of eccentric travelers and locals.
For the adventure, pick something very simple from any readily-available source (there are plenty of free adventures online as downloads, for example - - again, old ones are fine) and tear it apart. You don't care about following it, you care about giving your daughters great entertainment. I recommend a mystery (find out who the murderer or spy is, among the locally-known people) with lots of cleverly-hidden messages and minor treasures (a stone that glows on command and so can be used as a light, or a dagger ditto), and a very few SIMPLE but scary monsters (skeletons, the crawling claws I created so many years ago just to have disembodied skeletal hands scuttling after people and scaring them, and nasty people). Not hard-to-defeat foes, except for a longer-term villain you'll want to "set up" (perhaps seen once, very early on, when your daughters' characters don't know who this person is, and then just alluded to later on, as they start to hear just how evil and powerful this person is).
Then drop, add, rearrange, and tinker with elements from the adventure(s) you're adapting, to create a fun sequence of events that plans for the choices the PCs will make (if they go here and do this, then Encounter X happens, but if they instead go there and do that, run Encounter Y; both will lead to Encounter Z, but differently, like so) so your daughters will have fun AND feel like they're getting somewhere and achieving something, not running an endless obstacle course.
Even if there isn't a real mystery at the heart of the adventure, make things FEEL mysterious (as if there are local conspiracies and spies; perhaps a dying old man gasps out a secret or a warning to the PCs just before he passes; perhaps they witness someone they knew and trusted change shape into a monster, when the someone thought they were unobserved; perhaps both those things happen, and a lot more), and try to make sure you have two to four hours of playing time when the sessions begin, and that in every session there's some sort of reward (even if it's just a piece of information), and some challenge, and some new mystery or puzzle or warning.
With that said, don't push it; if your daughters don't want to play that long, or like to "drop out" of roleplaying to gossip or joke or talk about other things with you, LET IT HAPPEN. Without showing them any irritation on your part, over it. Your job as DM is to hand them a fun time (though to be satisfying, that involves challenges, not easy wish-fulfillment), not force them along through "your" hobby or sport. Put various situations in front of them and watch and listen to what they seem to prefer: do they like battle? Or banter? Or confrontational arguments with authority figures or foes? Or sneaking around, spying unobserved? Try to find out, and give them more of that. Not ALL of that, or it'll get boring, but if they enjoy something and are good at it, give them many chances to shine at it. You can teach them life lessons about fairness and "right" ways to behave, of course, but if you do, be darned subtle, or the fun will be ruined. And don't be afraid to change everything, right in the middle of the adventure, if they come up with something really exciting. If they suddenly light up and say, "This guy is selling dragon eggs - - I KNEW it!" then that's what he's been doing, even if you hadn't thought of that until then.
Remember, it's not about "getting through the adventure the way it was written." It's about making your daughters ask eagerly, "When can we play next, Dad? Huh? Huh?"
And don't get upset if they wreck all your best-laid traps and villains, or bypass them altogether. They will. Count on it. NEVER let them think you the DM are your adversary; make sure they always see you as the guy pulling back the curtain to show them this exciting world to play in, NOT their foe who marshals that world against them.
Oh, and have fun! :}

So saith Ed. In as splendid a swift encapsulation of what D&D is about as I've heard in a long time. Good luck, Bob! (I suspect your daughters are going to be the lucky ones.)
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 14 Mar 2009 15:00:08
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  15:12:07  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
That was one of the coolest things I've read in a good long while, and it really made me smile. I love telling children stories. The look on their face of awe and surprise... really gets ya, you know?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  16:21:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
And also good advice, even for DM's that have been doing this for a while. Sometimes you need to be reminded of why the job's so much fun!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  17:00:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

I had implanted an 'Easter Egg' in my CKC article revolving around 1400 DR: The Year of Lost Ships (if you do the math in some of the time-hopping hints). I thought that was rather clever of me - tying a mixed fleet out of the Moonshaes to the rather odd colonization of the Utter East (and using the canon Umberlee's Fist to boot!) - but alas, the Spellplague/4e changes nuked my article. <sigh>

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertI remember a few years back, discussing 1375, the Year of Risen Elfkin. While the elven Crusade is an obvious choice for the definition, I pointed out that it could have been something else entirely, like the birth of or the rise to prominence of a particular half-elf.

Someone - I believe it was Rich Baker (although it may have been SS) said they wanted to use that year, but then had to use the next one, because another author had already 'used up' the Year of the Risen Elfkin.

I remember reading that, and thinking "They are thinking up entire trilogies because of a sentence?! Just WOW...."

I prefer most of the entries be enigmatic, not RSE-amatic.

quote:

Oh, and "more" is good. Sneak 'em in whenever, or just step forth and ask boldly. We LIKE bold sorts, here in this chamber of the Keep.
love to all,
THO
In your case, M'Lady, I would not be so base as to 'sneak' anything. I would ask, beg... perhaps even grovel... just for the chance to slip ye something.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Mar 2009 02:37:08
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  17:45:22  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen:
How old (in human years) was that incredibly ancient elf in Cormyr: A Novel who had overseen the beginning of Cormyr and its rise to world (or at least "regional") power? As I recall, he was fond of wands and had fought the Purple Dragon at least once.

I'll admit I'm not Ed (and therefore will go to the end of the forming line) but you mean Iliphar Nelvenue, Lord of Wands. He was old. I beleive that at the time Cormyr was founded, he was a short time from passing to Arvandor. He appears at the beginning of Cormyr: a Novel, which was -400 DR, and last appears 205 DR. so he was at least 600+ years old. I'm sure Ed can give a more exact span- answer. I said answer. I did not say spank. I didn't!

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  17:50:34  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
This is the list I have. I think I have all of the guesses, but I'm not positive.

Incorrect guesses:

Alaphondar
Giogioni Wyvernspur
Vangerdahast
King Azoun
Valantha Shimmerstar
Elminster
Storm
Tessaril Winter
Glarasteer Rhauligan
Aerilee Summerwood
Laspeera
Garen Thal
Filfaeril
Volothamp Geddarm
Tanalasta
Alusair
Jorunhast
Dimswart
Thone

You missed out at least Myrmeen Lhal (I should know, I was the one who suggested her because I had shockingly run out of named characters to suggest (due to everyone else suggesting them)... )

I added that to my list, thanks for telling me. Maybe I should go back and search for all of the answers again.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  18:05:15  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Belts tightened, Scribes:

Is there some offical scribe for the Royals, or maybe some head of bodyguards that would
have written this? The bodyguards see just about everything you know. I don't know
nearly as much about Cormyr as I do Myth Drannor.

Also, I have a back history question. Ed, in the area that Larloch
has his fortress in, is there any back-history, maybe a dwarven or
elven fortress, or a mine, or something there before?

Edited by - althen artren on 14 Mar 2009 18:12:02
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  18:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Darn. There goes my guess that Iliphar Nelvenue published the offending chapbook.
Seriously . . . time to start putting on the guessing cap. Bodyguards? Surely they'd see it AFTER it was published, and copies started surreptitiously making the rounds?
Hmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  18:48:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Maybe it was published by that false King - didn't he end up in Ravenloft or something?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  19:13:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Maybe it was published by that false King - didn't he end up in Ravenloft or something?

Gondegal did wind up in Ravenloft. And the market for such a chapbook is much, much smaller there.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  20:31:23  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:

Wooly's correct. He wound up in Ravenloft, changed alignment, found himself a girl, and became a member of the Circle... a Knight of the Shadows. I myself have a character that's a Knight of the Shadows. I can't wait till Halloween to play him again; it's a seasonal campaign though we play it sometimes on Friday the 13th or during really bad storms. Adds a lot of flavor.

Oh, he's on page 144 of the Ravenloft Gazeteer Volume II if that helps anyone, by the way.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 14 Mar 2009 20:33:40
Go to Top of Page

bobwriggins
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  21:46:55  Show Profile  Visit bobwriggins's Homepage Send bobwriggins a Private Message
Dear Ed and To,

Thanks for the swift reply! My girls will be over next weekend so I have all week to try to flesh out your suggestions. Wish meluck!

Thanks again,

Bob
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  23:42:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Gondegal did wind up in Ravenloft. And the market for such a chapbook is much, much smaller there.

Wooly is indeed correct.

And to keep this Realms-related, I'll note that new lore regarding the "Lost King" was revealed in the Grand History of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000