Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  17:08:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
While that may be true, you don't honestly believe that the person who thought-up that year wasn't thinking about the famous seven, do you?

Sure... it can be anything NOW... but we know what it was supposed to be...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  18:31:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

While that may be true, you don't honestly believe that the person who thought-up that year wasn't thinking about the famous seven, do you?

*shrugs* It's certainly possible... There are 2300 entries on the Roll. I doubt that anything specific was planned or thought up for even as many as 25% of them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  18:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Wow, people really paid attention to my request not to make lewd comments regarding my question! For some reason, I feel almost disappointed, like something has let me down...
And no, that was not an invitation for lewd comments!

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  18:54:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
"So thats why I've been calling it my 'Blade of Honor' all these years".

Happy Now?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  20:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I was happy earlier, simply surprised. See above post, last sentence.
But anyway, we should stop hijacking Ed's scroll with simple banter (although I never liked the term 'hijacking'. I prefer to call it 'Thread Drift'.)

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  23:32:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Well, Year of the Seven Sisters might refer to their disappearence...

Or it might refer to another set of seven sisters, ones who have nothing to do with a goddess. Not everything on the Roll of Years is associated with some major event.

That's what I was thinking. After all, the Realms does have something of a history with "two" groups of seven things -- like the two groups of "Lost Gods" for example.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  23:33:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

*shrugs* It's certainly possible... There are 2300 entries on the Roll. I doubt that anything specific was planned or thought up for even as many as 25% of them.

Indeed. It may even be difficult to understand some of the more confusing names themselves because the particular aspects they are referencing were set down in the Realmslore long ago, and have yet to be fully explored in the material. Or the person/people responsible for those particular year names had ideas about what they could refer to at the time of compiling the Roll of Years, and then forgot all about them.

As it is, I sometimes tend to view the Roll of Years as an archaic source of information about the Realms as it was back when the Roll was first put together. There may have been a lot of good ideas and references floating around at the time that were incorporated into it, and then either ignored, forgotten, or simply cast aside as progress on the setting's design shifted elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  02:38:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Very true, Sage, very true.
Although Ed has something in mind for every last year he named when creating the Roll, and then again in a later session of augmenting and expanding. He can't, of course, reveal any of those events that may or may not now happen in canon lore, but he DID hint this far:

The Seven Sisters referenced in that year name aren't the same Seven Realms fans have already "met." (And no, this isn't a change or a retcon; they never were.)

"Azuth's Woe" is the poetic/prophetic nickname of a being, not a misfortune befalling Azuth in that year. The being referenced caused Azuth "woe" (and earned the moniker) many years earlier.

So saith Ed. Who also reminded me that many of the events anticipated and then commemmorated in year names are indeed small, local, little-known things, not necessarily "big" happenings.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Mar 2009 02:40:02
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  03:52:15  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Very true, Sage, very true.
Although Ed has something in mind for every last year he named when creating the Roll, and then again in a later session of augmenting and expanding. He can't, of course, reveal any of those events that may or may not now happen in canon lore, but he DID hint this far:

The Seven Sisters referenced in that year name aren't the same Seven Realms fans have already "met." (And no, this isn't a change or a retcon; they never were.)

"Azuth's Woe" is the poetic/prophetic nickname of a being, not a misfortune befalling Azuth in that year. The being referenced caused Azuth "woe" (and earned the moniker) many years earlier.

So saith Ed. Who also reminded me that many of the events anticipated and then commemmorated in year names are indeed small, local, little-known things, not necessarily "big" happenings.
love to all,
THO

Once again, my curiosity hath been piqued. I suspected as much regarding the "big happenings" matter, given Ed's love for RSE's, but I'm very curious now about the identities of the "Seven Sisters" and "Azuth's Woe"... and I'm not even going to ask those questions, because I already know the three-letter answer to both.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 13 Mar 2009 03:54:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  05:45:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
So Sage was correct - Ed just has a 'thing' for the number seven?

Note - there's no need to elaborate - I am fully aware of the mystical symbology involved with that number. I'm a big 'three' man myself.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  09:32:28  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
For all we know the year of the seven sisters refers to the the seven orc sister who build the first orcish tapdancing club.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  12:09:44  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Thanks very much for your reply Lady Hooded!

@Markus Ni!

Edited by - arry on 13 Mar 2009 12:12:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  13:47:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Note - there's no need to elaborate - I am fully aware of the mystical symbology involved with that number. I'm a big 'three' man myself.

He also likes animated skulls, I've noticed. Which is understandable, as it's a cool concept. I've been fiddling with an NPC, myself, that is nothing but a skull.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  13:52:12  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message
Hi my question to is this:

The Karse Stone: It talks about being heavy magic, what is heavy magic and what are it uses? Is it the last remanent part of the old weave? so many questions really... what could a archwizard do with the karse stone?

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  16:48:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Heavy Magic is discussed, if I recall right, in the Netheril box set from 2e.

quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Hi my question to is this:

The Karse Stone: It talks about being heavy magic, what is heavy magic and what are it uses? Is it the last remanent part of the old weave? so many questions really... what could a archwizard do with the karse stone?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:17:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

He also likes animated skulls, I've noticed. Which is understandable, as it's a cool concept. I've been fiddling with an NPC, myself, that is nothing but a skull.
Yeah, I kinda dig the skulls myself, and have connected all of the canon versions to Demilichs - Ed's are just a more powerful, flying (and flaming) form of those, and I even have a HB concept for one.

I call it the Psuedo-Lich (just to make it similar to the equally ill-named Demi-Lich). Basically, its a Lich that has gotten so ancient and decrepit that it transcends into a Demi-Lich state before its skelton fully disintegrates. In this state, the head 'detaches' and flys around (like Ed's skulls) and has all the same attributes as a Demi-Lich, but the rest of it's body is hidden away somewhere, and it has to return to it every 24 hours or so. Its sort of like combining a Demilich with a Penanggalan and a Crypt Thing. The body CANNOT move and may even function as the thing's phylactory (I haven't decided about that yet). I was also going to make it Vampiric, like the Penanggalan, but decided to save that for yet another HM monster (the Vampiric Lich).

Undead are just so much fun.

quote:
Originally posted by arry

@Markus Ni!
Don't 'Ni' me... I still find it... suspect. <where's our 'Razz' smiley?>

Then again... I find EVERYTHING 'suspect'.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2009 17:19:40
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:38:34  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Indeed he does, one of the 'seven' that has been mentioned very briefly in passing is the 'Seven Swanmays of the Kings Forest' (Cormyr).

THO, did the Knights ever encounter these seven? And is Lharave (featured in FRO the Old Gray Box Set) one of those seven?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 13 Mar 2009 17:39:17
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  18:17:09  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Okay, I admit I've totally lost track of the chapbook author thing. Is there an up-to-date list of all the wrong guesses? And just what, EXACTLY, did Ed say about the author (i.e. clues thus far)?
Thanks, all.

This is the list I have. I think I have all of the guesses, but I'm not positive.

Incorrect guesses:

Alaphondar
Giogioni Wyvernspur
Vangerdahast
King Azoun
Valantha Shimmerstar
Elminster
Storm
Tessaril Winter
Glarasteer Rhauligan
Aerilee Summerwood
Laspeera
Garen Thal
Filfaeril
Volothamp Geddarm
Tanalasta
Alusair
Jorunhast
Dimswart
Thone
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  19:48:05  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Greetings All,

Just a quick question. Was my list of Myth Glarauch questions one of those topics too broad
in scope, or is it one of those areas covered by a Dyson Sphere NDA? Just Curious.

I was wanting to know, could we have reoccuring spot of Elven clan info. I loved the stuff on
the two or three clans that were mentioned previously on Ed's scroll.

Blade of Honor? Boy, there isn't anything honorable I do with my blade.
It's more a... oh never mind. Not important.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  21:11:47  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Blade of Honor? Boy, there isn't anything honorable I do with my blade.
It's more a... oh never mind. Not important.

A Short Sword of Backstabbing? (for those who remember 1E)

(Apologies to Ed, THO, and mods for the... 'thread drift' I believe was the term Menelvagor suggested... but I couldn't resist that one.)

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 13 Mar 2009 21:14:37
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  21:42:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Ed is busy with hospital stuff today, but I'll field crazedventurers' question:
"Indeed he does, one of the 'seven' that has been mentioned very briefly in passing is the 'Seven Swanmays of the Kings Forest' (Cormyr).
THO, did the Knights ever encounter these seven? And is Lharave (featured in FRO the Old Gray Box Set) one of those seven?"

Damian, the Knights have encountered various members of those Seven over the years, though never the entire group, formally, as a group. So far as I know, Lharave isn't one of them, but is a friend and ally who has worked with them more than once. Ed will of course elaborate and correct, as the opportunity arises.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  21:48:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And to Jakk, I respond:

No, of COURSE you couldn't.
No apology necessary, though if it's around behind me you're interested in, perhaps shortness is a good thing . . .
She observed innocently, looking off from a hilltop across upland Cormyr, to the interesting landmark of Angrul's Oak (a massive dead oak that stands where two streams meet, due west of The Dead Well, halfway between it and the Belflow (the stream that runs southeast from Arabel to the Wyvernwater). [Yes, an extremely subtle example of obligatory Realms reference, there - - but one can never have too many useful landmarks, yes?]
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  21:49:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Is Dathae of Essembra one of the Seven?

And speaking of PftF lore, I've also come-across TWO different "...of the six curses" characters, one of whom gained a seventh curse (although one was afflicted with them, and the other gave them out, IIRC)

'Six' being Ed's ebil number.

And as long as I'm bringing up PftF, where is/was Carathta? There is a reference to Veloghon of Carathta in the Veloghon of Vigilance entry.

I have more, but I'll sneak 'em in here and there.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Mar 2009 16:42:10
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  21:54:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh.
Markustay, there are more "of the six curses" characters than that, though they may not have made it into printed canon Realmslore (and any number of "of the three curses" or "four curses" or fill in the number, too). That's because it was briefly VERY popular to adopt such a nickname, because it sounds grand without being TOO threatening (unlike, say, "I am Marghon the Mage, Destroyer of Thrones").
And, no, she replied sweetly, Dathae isn't one of the Seven, either. She belongs to ANOTHER secretive group, about which only Ed can really say more . . .

love,
THO
P.S. I am SUCH a tease. Time to spank me, someone. Line up, fellas.
AND lasses!

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Mar 2009 21:55:29
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  21:56:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and "more" is good. Sneak 'em in whenever, or just step forth and ask boldly. We LIKE bold sorts, here in this chamber of the Keep.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  22:23:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Heh.
<snip>
And, no, she replied sweetly, Dathae isn't one of the Seven, either. She belongs to ANOTHER secretive group, about which only Ed can really say more . . .

love,
THO
P.S. I am SUCH a tease. Time to spank me, someone. Line up, fellas.
AND lasses!

If teasings earn spankings, this lineup already consists of every scribe in the 'Keep, by my readings of Ed's scrolls and my estimated count of occurrences of "NDA" and similar turns of phrase...
I'm going to make another attempt to put two and two together... and probably achieve a sum of five... by asking if the mysterious long-awaited announcement has anything to do with Castlemourn... and yes, I entirely understand if an affirmative answer can't be given. Taking stabs at answering unanswerable questions is how I stay sane, believe it or not...

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  22:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
This is the list I have. I think I have all of the guesses, but I'm not positive.

Incorrect guesses:

Alaphondar
Giogioni Wyvernspur
Vangerdahast
King Azoun
Valantha Shimmerstar
Elminster
Storm
Tessaril Winter
Glarasteer Rhauligan
Aerilee Summerwood
Laspeera
Garen Thal
Filfaeril
Volothamp Geddarm
Tanalasta
Alusair
Jorunhast
Dimswart
Thone

You missed out at least Myrmeen Lhal (I should know, I was the one who suggested her because I had shockingly run out of named characters to suggest (due to everyone else suggesting them)... )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 13 Mar 2009 22:37:04
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  23:09:04  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Belts loosened, scribes:

*shoves to the front of the line* SLAP! Now what else I should
do while I'm back here?

No, definite a broadsword of backstabbing, Jakk.

Ahem.

Ed, has there ever been a spell developed by a mage in the Realms that can
sever the Weave connection to another spellcaster like Mystra can, or is
that solely her perview.

Edited by - althen artren on 13 Mar 2009 23:10:51
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  23:18:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Here's the latest, from Ed:

Jakk, I do hope sometime this year (hopefully before the summer) to be able to announce something more about CASTLEMOURN (no, nothing bad, and nothing about changing publishers for it or anything like that), but the announcement THO has been alluding to has nothing to do with that. Really.

althen artren, Azuth could cut off mortals' connections to the Weave, but no mortal spellcaster I know of ever successfully developed such a spell. Some worked on ways to (imperfectly) "steer" dead magic areas to temporarily achieve the same result, though.

Now, if there are going to be spankings, scribes, surely being the Creator of the Realms should count for SOMEthing . . .

So saith Ed. Whose opinions I always hold dear.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  23:33:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Here's the latest, from Ed:

Jakk, I do hope sometime this year (hopefully before the summer) to be able to announce something more about CASTLEMOURN (no, nothing bad, and nothing about changing publishers for it or anything like that)...
Well, that's good news. I've been slowly working to get my first CASTLEMOURN campaign together over the last year or so. So any potentially new material that may be heading our way will help me out significantly.

Thanks for the update Ed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000