Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  06:44:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

On the subject of the Roll of Years, after reading the Sage's question: Does every year have a contained event (no matter how insignificant) that its name refers to? If so, I'm rather curious about the Year of Azuth's Woe (1440, I believe), given that Azuth is now (canonically, at least) god-dust... and I've also noticed that the Year of the Ageless One is not on the Roll of Years that I have (in Word format, downloaded from wizards.com pre-Spellplague); did the Spellplague mess with the written Roll of Years as well? I'm extending the Roll backward to -1000 and forward to 2000, with 2000 DR being the Year of the Black Star; if anything has already been done toward this that you can share, I'd love to see it. (he says, expecting the usual three little letters that seem to answer any question of burning interest to him)

I'm not Ed, but I can partly address this point. The names on the Roll of Years are already known, well in advance... since they're drawn from the prophecies of Augathra, Alaundo and others, made centuries past.

Alaundo and Augathra's prophecies are cryptic and poetic, not descriptive, and many of them are nothing more than the year names. The idea is not that they definitely refer to large-scale events: sages differ, even after the fact, on what the prophecies refer to. These guys are crazy mystics, not big-man-theory historians, and their visions were not all of the RSE-type events that TSR has trained some of us to think 'important.'

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  06:48:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

and I've also noticed that the Year of the Ageless One is not on the Roll of Years that I have (in Word format, downloaded from wizards.com pre-Spellplague);

Are you looking at the correct year (1479)? Because it's listed that way on my list, and on the list downloaded from the Wizards site.

Indeed. It pays to be extra careful when utilising any kind of "Roll of Years" compilation online. I've noticed some in the past aren't always official. Or some just use the offical Roll as a basis and then add their own home campaign years/events onto the list -- sometimes even replacing existing official year names and the like.

Having said that, 'Year of the Ageless One' is definitely listed on the official Realms "Roll of Years" as Wooly notes above.

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  07:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hello Ed and LHO,

Before I forget again, thanks for the reply re: whale migrations. Seeing how far they range under the seas reminds me how they are a cornerstone of the Aquatic Relay. They're rather like huge powerful broadcast towers when it comes to passing on information and news.

My question for today runs in a different vein: the prophet Maglas and his infamous work, Chronicle of Things to Come. Although its essentially a MacGuffin, serving only to light a fire in Sammaster's twisted mind, I was wondering what else old Maglas foresaw and recorded. As Sammaster had to translate it, in what language or cipher was it written? Did it predict the Godswar or any of the 3E events from the novels? What else was contained within its pages? And finally, can you reveal more of Maglas' back history? Hopefully it wasn't as tragic as Augathra's

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  08:57:10  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,
Some Craulnobers had been dragon-riders. Matings of dragon and their rider bought instant shame, and any offspring were outcast.

I would have thought this kind of love might well have been celebrated as a coming together of equals/partners

Just my take on this:

Its a simple matter of our race is greater than you race again. Haughty elves (in general) believe themselves superior to all other races, especially dragons who they superseded to become the 'prime/dominant' race in Faerun (until humans arrived).

Just because you can mate with other races, doesn't mean everyone in your family/circle of friends/anyone else in the Realms will approve of it.

We know that some folk in the Realms have a more liberal view point on life and love but I would suspect they are a small minority. Ed has always painted the Realms as a real living breathing world and not a 'utopian happy-clappy world where everyone gets along all the time' (at least as I have interpreted it).

So it does not not suprise me that elves, who are generally conservative and traditional, would cast out a member of their family who has brought shame onto the family name, (because elves are long lived and everyone will remember that shame for several hundreds of winters, not several winters like humans etc).

Just my thoughts

Damian
ps. I have always wondered about the Elaith Craulnober even since getting FR1 22 years ago (22 years!)

An evil elf in a major city piqued my interest alot as it turned upside down a staple of fantasy (good, noble, wise elf etc). Kudo's to Ed on brining Elaith to life and to Elaine for expanding on him . Of course any other Lore on other Craulnobers is always welcome

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 11 Mar 2009 10:11:12
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  10:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers
We know that some folk in the Realms have a more liberal view point on life and love but I would suspect they are a small minority. Ed has always painted the Realms as a real living breathing world and not a 'utopian happy-clappy world where everyone gets along all the time' (at least as I have interpreted it).

(Emphasis mine)

That's really not the impression I've got from everything Ed's said on the matter... But I suppose I'll leave it to Ed to answer that. I suppose I could be mistaken.

quote:
So it does not not suprise me that elves, who are generally conservative and traditional, would cast out a member of their family who has brought shame onto the family name, (because elves are long lived and everyone will remember that shame for several hundreds of winters, not several winters like humans etc).

This is actually the thing I've never understood with Elves. In previous Editions of DnD, the default alignment of Elves has been Chaotic Good. This doesn't jibe with strongly conservative views and a strict adherence to tradition. You can have the latter with a largely chaotic mindset, but other aspects of their life are definitely going to be freer.

I think somewhere along the line, someone decided to change their mind on Elven alignment and forgot to change the alignment as listed in the monster manual. Sun Elves, in particular, seem more LE than CG.

quote:

ps. I have always wondered about the Elaith Craulnober even since getting FR1 22 years ago (22 years!)

An evil elf in a major city piqued my interest alot as it turned upside down a staple of fantasy (good, noble, wise elf etc). Kudo's to Ed on brining Elaith to life and to Elaine for expanding on him . Of course any other Lore on other Craulnobers is always welcome

Heh. Elaith has always struck me as someone who is trying very hard to be evil, when he's not really. He still has his nobility, he sometimes does good acts (without necessarily understanding why he's doing them), and he definitely has a sensible head on his shoulders.

I should point out though, he falls outside of my realms of interest - so I don't really know him that well... It is entirely possible my statement above is way off the beam.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  10:46:21  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message
Quick question: What happened to the contest to guess the identity of the scandalous author? Did I miss who guessed correctly or has everyone gone silent wondering?

If it has not yet been guessed, would Ed be willing to provide a small snippet of a clue to help us clueless people along?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  11:04:33  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
This is actually the thing I've never understood with Elves. In previous Editions of DnD, the default alignment of Elves has been Chaotic Good. This doesn't jibe with strongly conservative views and a strict adherence to tradition. You can have the latter with a largely chaotic mindset, but other aspects of their life are definitely going to be freer.

I would say you are correct, the alignment of elves is incorret.

I would say that elves lose their 'free-er' natures as they get older, and centuries of living slowly drive them to more traditional clan/family ideals.

Then after a couple more centuries they start to go insane (much like the Chosen do/are doing). All those memories and experiences are perhaps too much for them.

Anyhoo this is a discussion for a another scroll (sorry Mods, will shut up now)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  13:41:07  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I would say you are correct, the alignment of elves is incorret.

I would say that elves lose their 'free-er' natures as they get older, and centuries of living slowly drive them to more traditional clan/family ideals.

Then after a couple more centuries they start to go insane (much like the Chosen do/are doing). All those memories and experiences are perhaps too much for them.

Anyhoo this is a discussion for a another scroll (sorry Mods, will shut up now)

Cheers

Damian

I hope I can add one thing if that's all right. I've heard from different sources that gold elves tend to be a bit more lawful in their alignment. Is that right? And if so, are they more LN? And I've always thought that moon elves felt more NG.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  14:17:39  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

Sun Elves, in particular, seem more LE than CG.

We do have the Eldreth Veluuthra, who oppose human encroachment, and would happily slay any human, and especially half-elf, they meet.
This pride for a cretain heritage is not uncommon (I saw it in Greyhawk as well), and it could certainly extend to other beings, such as dragons (in the same campaign, my elf-halfdragon came from a elven house that had copper dragon ancestors, and faced the scorn of not being a pure-blood). Still, I would expect that to be not common, more depending on situation.
It may be that shame is not so much about elf and dragon, as it is about rider and mount. It is possible a certain kind of relationship between those two is expected, and being mates may be concidered a breach of that relationship (the mount being in the rider's care, much like a patient in that of a nurse or docter).

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  20:18:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

and I've also noticed that the Year of the Ageless One is not on the Roll of Years that I have (in Word format, downloaded from wizards.com pre-Spellplague);

Are you looking at the correct year (1479)? Because it's listed that way on my list, and on the list downloaded from the Wizards site.

<snip>

Having said that, 'Year of the Ageless One' is definitely listed on the official Realms "Roll of Years" as Wooly notes above.

Heh. Found it. I was looking at the alphabetical list, and forgetting not to ignore "the" when looking at the list. (My brain works way too much like a computer sometimes.) That's too bad, in a way; I was all set to rant about conspiracy theories. Seriously, that's a rant I'm happy not to bash out.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Mar 2009 20:22:07
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  22:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

They do say that one gets more conservative the older one gets. But that's not actually been my experience - I've become more progressive the older I get! It just goes to show that generalizations are not always right.

As for going insane over time - well there's a difference between humans and elves. Humans aren't designed to last for more than about 70-80 years (and that may well be lower in the Realms), while Elves are designed to live for hundreds of years (and depending on your elf, that might even be thousands). I remember reading somewhere that elves don't die of old age, they just eventually make the decision to move on to the afterlife... I don't know if that applies to Realms elves, but even so my point remains. Elves are supposed to live long lives, and therefore they would have the mental toughness to do so... There's not be much point otherwise, and Corellon would be a cruel creator indeed.

Humans, I might add have the mental toughness to last well into their 100s... And I'm sure there are (many) individuals who are tough enough to live hundreds of years. In the case of the Chosen, I think because of their great power and the extraordinary responsibilities that rest on their shoulders experience far more mental wear over time, than someone who might have found a way to make themselves effectively immortal, and can do as they like without answering to the Gods or being expected to fix the world when it goes off the rails.

And you're right, this is probably a bit too much discussion for this scroll... So I'll just leave it with a - how accurate have I been with my thoughts, Ed?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:09:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
A couple of things I'd like to comment on, if I may...

Gold Elves are NOTORIOUS for their feelings of 'racial purity'. Not all are like that, mind, but just about every clan has a "few of those...". Also, there have been many cases where individual Silver Elves feel the same way. The Craulnobers are an old, PROUD clan, and such 'aberrations' to their gene-pool would be DEEPLY frowned upon.

Also, there is special relationship betwen a Dragon-rider and their 'mount', and to take that to a sexual end is almost a breech of trust, or at least, some may view it so.

And I won't even get into how it gives a whole new meaning to the term 'Dragon-Rider'.

Another strange, or perhaps not-so-strange thing - Elves seem to have a lot more in common with dragons then they are willing to admit. There are several instances - that woman who is in command of the Dragonriders comes to mind - wherein an Elf may 'delay' the inevitable indefinately, by going into long, coma-like 'sleeps'. Aside from the obvious love of finery and inborn magical prowess, this appears to be just one more way in which dragons and Elves are alike. An Elf can chose to extend it's life by 'hibernation', much as Dragons do as they start to reach venerable age.

Elven Attitudes:
As for Elves in general - the way I see it, the only difference between Drow and Elves are their actions, and even then, only to a point. I think deep-down, they are exactly the same (which is most certainly the case - they ARE the same race, at least they were), but an Elf is better-able to hide, or even repress its natural urges. To make a comparison to a well-known SciFi series, Elves are like Vulcans and Drow are like Romulans (who also were the same race before a split thousands of years ago). The Romulans represent everything that a Vulcan would be if they didn't keep a constant vigil against their own baser desires. To me, that explains the relationship between Elves and Drow perfectly - when an Elf sees a Drow, they are seeing the darkness all of them have within staring right back at them.

Lastly, the Roll of years....

We now have two Rolls of Years, and I have a feeling the WotC is going to be using the new one to 'get out of' stuff on the original. My own theory is that the Black Chronology trumps Alaundo's - it was a 'divergent path' of prophesy that Shar forced the timeline to detour down.

I think this because they haven't really given us much of it, which leads me to believe designers left it open so they can put the year-names in as the need them, which is less restrictive then them trying to shoe-horn their stories into the year-names. The created their own set of make-it-up-as-you-go prophesies.

Think about it - how the heck are they going to do 1425 DR: Year of the Seven Sisters now?

Also note that the only roll of Years included in the GHotR (in part) was the Black Chronology, not the old one, which WAS included in Brian's original. They obviously want people's attention focused on this new roll of years over the older one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2009 16:10:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:29:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

<snip>

Heh. Found it. I was looking at the alphabetical list, and forgetting not to ignore "the" when looking at the list. (My brain works way too much like a computer sometimes.) That's too bad, in a way; I was all set to rant about conspiracy theories. Seriously, that's a rant I'm happy not to bash out.

Ah, fair enough. I thought it was a little curious, especially after you said this was the list from Wizards. And that listing does have the "Year of the Ageless One" referenced.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:36:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Lastly, the Roll of years....

We now have two Rolls of Years, and I have a feeling the WotC is going to be using the new one to 'get out of' stuff on the original. My own theory is that the Black Chronology trumps Alaundo's - it was a 'divergent path' of prophesy that Shar forced the timeline to detour down.

I think this because they haven't really given us much of it, which leads me to believe designers left it open so they can put the year-names in as the need them, which is less restrictive then them trying to shoe-horn their stories into the year-names. The created their own set of make-it-up-as-you-go prophesies.

Think about it - how the heck are they going to do 1425 DR: Year of the Seven Sisters now?

Also note that the only roll of Years included in the GHotR (in part) was the Black Chronology, not the old one, which WAS included in Brian's original. They obviously want people's attention focused on this new roll of years over the older one.

I think you're reading too much into it. For one thing, if the Black Chronology had been intended as a replacement for the Roll of Years, I think we would have seen more of it other than a version that stopped at the Sellplague -- and we wouldn't have later dates that use the original Roll.

Also, the original Roll is still available. The original file is still on the Wizards site, if you know where to look, and the Roll is also part of the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool.

Besides, including it in the printed Grand History would have taken up something like 20 pages -- 20 pages of nothing but year names in a printed book. I don't think anyone would have been happy about that one... Heck, even the version of the Roll in the original pdf was little more (no offense, Brian) than the rtf file tacked onto the end of the chronology.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  00:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Our pleasure!
From visiting Ed's house, I can tell you that he left some book-adorned rooms out. There are even bookshelves on the various landings at the top and halfway up his stairs - - not to mention built-in bookshelves all around the bed in his sleeping hut, down "at the bottom of the garden" (actually one overgrown farm field east of the house, beside the woodlot). When we were younger, Ed and I talked about "dream" garden elements, and Ed's was his own small private lake/overgrown pond with an island at the center of it and a "folly" (built-as-a-ruin stone castle) on it.
However, he can't dig one out where he is now because the soil is too sandy, and besides, springs rise on both sides of his property and run down its edges as full-fledged streams. He has a cottage up in Muskoka to satisfy the "boating on the wild lake" urges, when he gets them.

I wouldn't mind my own lake, myself (and therefore, lake-loving plants). Sometimes it's best just work with what we have though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  01:28:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
maransreth, the contest isn't over; no one has correctly guessed who got that infamous chapbook into print, yet. Yes, Ed is indeed willing to provide a clue, perhaps even more than one; he promises me he'll get back to me with one soon.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  01:37:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again!
Zandilar, Ed says your thoughts re. elven and human mental toughness, as expressed in your last post, are "dead-on accurate." He also says that the post by Markustay, immediately after Zandilar's post, has got the elven attitudes "exactly right," with just one caveat: so long as scribes bear in mind that when Markustay concludes his Elven Attitudes remarks with the "when an Elf sees a Drow" sentence, the elf may think such things (only) subconsciously, and that these are racial norms, not wholly accurate on the level of each and every elf (or drow, or half-elf) individual.
As for the Roll of Years comments, Ed can't confirm Markustay's suspicions, because he just doesn't know. He couldn't confirm them if he DID know, thanks to (yes) NDAs, but he honestly doesn't know. Ed points out that it's quite in keeping with established Realms tradition (and real life, and many other fantasy novels outside the Realms) to have different faiths believing in, and following, different calendars (and interpreting events differently). Ed does NOT think the Sharran Roll of Years was included in the GRAND HISTORY for anything other than "increasing roleplaying possibilities and interest" reasons.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  01:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Okay, I admit I've totally lost track of the chapbook author thing. Is there an up-to-date list of all the wrong guesses? And just what, EXACTLY, did Ed say about the author (i.e. clues thus far)?
Thanks, all.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  01:51:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes.
Ed and I have been e-talking over various lore-queries made in this thread, and although he hasn't yet gotten around to penning a proper answer for Nerfed2Hell's February 17th query: "Animal question: do people of the Realms keep anything resembling the equivalent of "glamour pets"? I'm especially interested in the Heartlands, but if there's a notable noble of Waterdeep or elsewhere with the equivalent of a chihuahua on her arm all the time... I'm curious to know what kinds of things people keep just for pets --not just familiars or animal companions-- and whether or not this kind of behavior sets trends or makes others scoff."
. . . Ed did say:

Yes, of course they do. Including tressym (as pets, not just as familiars), lurlae (longhaired cats with fluffy smoke-gray fur), and flying snakes (see RACES OF FAERUN). More later, when I have time.

So saith Ed. Tireless (but extremely busy) Father Creator of the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  02:09:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

. . . Ed did say:

Yes, of course they do. Including tressym (as pets, not just as familiars), lurlae (longhaired cats with fluffy smoke-gray fur), and flying snakes (see RACES OF FAERUN). More later, when I have time.
Oooh! I'm actually thinking about having my current PC purchase another feline. She's currently the owner of a proud Russian-blue brought from a recent sojourn on Earth.

So my lady, is there anything more Ed can provide on the lurlae, and their place in the Realms, that we don't currently know?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  02:15:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, fellow scribes.
Ed and I have been e-talking over various lore-queries made in this thread, and although he hasn't yet gotten around to penning a proper answer for Nerfed2Hell's February 17th query: "Animal question: do people of the Realms keep anything resembling the equivalent of "glamour pets"? I'm especially interested in the Heartlands, but if there's a notable noble of Waterdeep or elsewhere with the equivalent of a chihuahua on her arm all the time... I'm curious to know what kinds of things people keep just for pets --not just familiars or animal companions-- and whether or not this kind of behavior sets trends or makes others scoff."
. . . Ed did say:

So saith Ed. Tireless (but extremely busy) Father Creator of the Realms.
love to all,
THO

Going from memory, right at this moment... and to help answer part of Nerfed2Hell's question about other pets:-

These are for Cormyr --

Eveningstar: tressym [the 'Tressym' entry in Haunted Halls of Eveningstar would seem to suggest that tressym are, on occasion, kept as "loose" pets -- villagers do in fact tend toward feeding them, and sometimes seek to prevent much of the damage they cause to the local surroundings]
Wheloon: ferrets and bluebirds
Tilverton: frogs

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  02:37:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<chop>
</chop>

Not just that, but 1440 DR: Year of Azuth's Woe... a bit late for that, don't you think?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  02:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
A little late to the party on elven views, but since I've been thinking about it recently, I wanted to add something.

In my opinion, the elven bad opinion of half-dragons stems less from racial purity (though there's that as well), and more from bad memories of the Age of Dragons. Realms of Elves spelled out explicitly what had been hinted at before, namely that dragon lords in the distant past had forced offspring on their demihuman subjects, often against their will.

I don't think there's a race on Faerun that loves their past and holds grudges like elves (with dwarves a VERY close second). They've lovingly held onto hate for more than ten thousand years in the cases of the drow and the Vyshan, why not a bit further back? Thus a half-dragon would be a visual reminder of the "really bad old days," and would be hated because of it. This also has the benefit of applying to moon and sylvan elves, who are historically less interested in "racial purity" than gold elves.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  03:19:16  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
not just the demi-humans, but the humans too I'd imagine.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  03:32:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
I think this is a first for me, but I have a question for Ed regarding two questions he has already answered for me (at least as far as "NDA" can be considered an answer). Are the Shadevari your original creations, or did someone else come up with them later? I believe you already claimed responsibility for the devilishly intriguing pyramids under Ascore, so if you can shed some light on the authorship of the Shadevari, it will allow me to make a decision for the purposes of my own Realms-continuity. Thanks!

That's what they are! Nasty Devilish Assassins of freedom of information...

Edited by - Jakk on 12 Mar 2009 03:32:55
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  07:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Well, Year of the Seven Sisters might refer to their disappearence... The Simbul disappeared in that year, if I am not mistaken.
Regarding the Year of Azuth's Woe, that is weird... Maybe something killed off the Magisters forever?
But I do have a question. And this isn't a joke, so no lewd comments!
Ed, why is it that all the elven women I have read about keep their 'Blade of Honor' (the one that they use for the blood-curse) in their, ahem... private parts? And is that why they are called Blades of Honor?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 12 Mar 2009 07:34:11
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  14:36:42  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I have some queries concerning the tree-lore in 'Volo’s Guide to All Things Magical'.

The Sycamore does not exist in the Realms. Cool, but I have a query over what you define as a Sycamore. Over here in UK the Sycamore is Acer pseudoplatanus and occasionally A. campestre, the field maple as 99% of people can’t tell them apart. However on a recent (well recent over here), episode of the crime drama ‘NCIS’ Jethro identifies as a Sycamore a seed and subsequently a tree which is plainly and unequivocally the Plane Platanus acerifolia (aka P. hispanica). Please can you let me know which you identify as the Sycamore, or is there yet a third? You say the maple exists in the Realms of which the English Sycamore is a variety, also the sugar Maple, the Norwegian Maple etc. etc. Does the sugar maple exist, and is it a part of the economy of The North? Do all the 1000 odd varieties of the Willow exist?

Hazel is not mentioned at all; in Europe it was an important part of farming for the making of hurdles, bean-poles and wattle & daub, in addition to the delicious and nutritious cob-nut. Does it exist in the Realms?

Edited by - arry on 12 Mar 2009 14:39:43
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  15:05:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, arry.
Ed will of course answer you properly in time to come, but I can tell you from playing in his campaign that the sugar maple and hazel both exist in the Sword Coast North and the Moonsea North of the Realms, plus Heartlands.
"Sycamore" is a rather loose term (up in Canada, where both Ed and I are from, a plane tree and a sycamore are definitely different things . . . and neither of them is anything like a maple ), so I seriously doubt Ed is saying most maples don't exist in the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  16:54:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

He also says that the post by Markustay, immediately after Zandilar's post, has got the elven attitudes "exactly right," with just one caveat: so long as scribes bear in mind that when Markustay concludes his Elven Attitudes remarks with the "when an Elf sees a Drow" sentence, the elf may think such things (only) subconsciously, and that these are racial norms, not wholly accurate on the level of each and every elf (or drow, or half-elf) individual.
Not so much my thoughts (except for the Star Trek comparison), but more due to extensive studies I did of Faeries and all things 'Fey' many, many years ago. It seemed to me, in the end, the only real difference I could find between the way Seelie and Unseelie Fey behaved was that Seelie Fey at least tried to control themselves around humans. Elves are nothing more then a Prime material (and therefore mortal) Extension of the Fey court. Every Elf wants to 'revel and cavort' the night away... its just most Golds are too dignified to admit to any such thing (and if you don't think Drow know how to party, then you really need to re-read Elaine's wonderful Stralight and Shadows trilogy again).

As to the way I ended that - YES, when making broad, sweeping statements about ANY race, be it real or fictional, of course exceptions will always exist, and in some cases entire groups can be the exception. Every race has it's Drizzts or it's Craulnobers. My statement was merely another way of saying that an Elf thinks "There, but for the grace of gods, go I". Like the descent curse in miniature, each surface Elf sends his 'inner Drow' into the depths of his subconscious... where it sits... waiting...

He knows its there - thats how Miyeritar and Jhaamdath happens. Thats when unbribled and repressed emotions that have been bottled-up too long explode in a single, furious, and often catastrophic culmination.

As to the part about the Roll of years - I fully understand (and agree with) - both Wooly and Ed's comments. I just think its awful convenient to have a second set of years you can hand-tailor if you need to.

Bring me a Shrubbery!
There are certain types of trees - such as Redwoods - which are identified as being 'Earth trees' which are NOT native to Toril. HOWEVER, there are several species of these Earth trees that ARE native to Abeir, including Redwoods. In the case of all these trees, from time to time, 'pockets' of them have shown-up in Toril, usually when magic somehow "went on the Fritz" (ToT, Fall of Netheril, Spellplague, etc, etc...). This is why we occassionally see in-print Earth flora and fauna on Toril, when it has been stated in certain supplements that no such things exist in the Realms. Ergo, Sycamores, Maples, Hazel, whatever... may all be found somwhere in the Realms, but they are not all necessarily native to the Realms, and some may not even be native to Abeir (you don't think Archmages bring-back seeds from other worlds every once-in-awhile?). Just because an "Unreliable Narrator" like Volo has never seen one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere (and don't forget, how would Volo even know about Sycamores, hmmmmm?)

---- Mark, who was big fan of the famous Marvel Comics "No-Prize"

Edit: Tell me a Story, Mr, Greenwood... pweese?
Since I made another post, and I haven't been asking questions in the last few, I figure I might as well throw this one out there -

Ed, tell us about a 'Braveheart'. I just watched this the other day, and although there are a few places in the realms where 'Highlander-types' could fit (most notably Erlkazar), I don't know of any offhand in canon. Could you describe one-such - A man of great personal honor, courage, and fighting skills who lead his people against over-whelming odds and subjugation.

And no... don't bring-up Elminster and Athalanter. I'm looking for more of a 'noble savage', then a wiley sneak-thief with some magical skills.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2009 17:09:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  17:01:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Well, Year of the Seven Sisters might refer to their disappearence...

Or it might refer to another set of seven sisters, ones who have nothing to do with a goddess. Not everything on the Roll of Years is associated with some major event.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000