Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  00:45:33  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
A quick question for Ed regarding a previously-asked question, and then I'll sit back and be quiet about it for another month or two:

How is progress on getting the Cormyr lineage published?

On a distantly-related note, was that expected announcement from "Wizards of the East" that THO alerted us to some time ago ever made?

That's all. Thank you both, Ed and THO, for your time and answers, which are greatly appreciated by all of us here, and thank you to the site maintainers and moderators for giving us a "here" to be in virtual space.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  02:03:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I bring a reply of sorts from Ed to Zandilar, about the in-Realms word for cocktails:

There are many local terms for mixed drinks, from "brightsongs" in Silverymoon, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep; to "manyslake" in Waterdeep, Scornubel, Iriaebor, Cormyr, and Sembia; to "ralivarthrem" in Amn and Tethyr; to "ravalankh" in Calimshan and the Tashalar; and "drarraval" in Turmish, the Vilhon and Chessenta.

Ed also sent me replies to Jakk's queries. Re. the Cormyr lineage: little progress at the moment. Re. the announcement: not made yet, more snags have arisen. Patience (hey, I KNOW it's hard. * I * want all of this stuff RIGHT NOW, too!). Yet, I say again, patience. Ed's happily immersed in cranking out a novel right now, anyway . . .
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Mar 2009 02:06:38
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  04:29:41  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all.
I bring a reply of sorts from Ed to Zandilar, about the in-Realms word for cocktails:

There are many local terms for mixed drinks, from "brightsongs" in Silverymoon, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep; to "manyslake" in Waterdeep, Scornubel, Iriaebor, Cormyr, and Sembia; to "ralivarthrem" in Amn and Tethyr; to "ravalankh" in Calimshan and the Tashalar; and "drarraval" in Turmish, the Vilhon and Chessenta.

Cool! I never grow tired of Ed's ability to make up words.

Thank you both for this and the answer on e-books. I found your insights very interesting indeed. I think I'll be sticking to "normal" print publishers for my first novel (if I ever manage to get it finished, 5 years and I've just tossed the last draft and started from scratch! I really don't know how Ed does it...)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  04:49:44  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Speaking of e-Books, WotC is offering a free download of Paul's novel Twilight Falling on the site. Here's the link

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20090309

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  06:39:32  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
I just thought of a question for the Ed or THO: (Note- I'm working my way backwards thru the previous years, so if this is asked-and-answered, I apologize)
Where did the Mulhorandi/Untheric folk come from? Was it, in fact Earth? I have always operated under the assumption (Just that, too... with no good reason for me to think this, except that it's a conclusion that I jumped to long ago) that they were from worlds in which the ancient Egyptian and Babylonian/Assyrian cultures were the dominant ones.
No real need for me to know this beyond the burning need to have as much of the Realms 'under glass' as possible.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  10:51:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well again all

I have been rereading my dragon magazines and just finished the Ecology of the Beholder (issue 76).

Ed can I ask how this fits with the home Realms campaign? What go me thinking was the section regarding the reproduction cycle of beholders flying off to lay eggs somewhere desolate. I have been speculating how in the Realms the Zhentarim manage their broody beholders! (if they manage them at all).
Do they send guards to protect the eggs?
Do they collect the eggs before/after hatching to raise the next generation of loyal beholder slave, err allies?
Do the senior wizards/priests take eggs/young and experiment on them to create new breeds with new powers? (is this how the gauth, death kiss et al became 'born' in the Realms?)

Would be interested to know more thoughts and wild speculation on Zhents and broody beholders.

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  11:11:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
As I recall, the Ecology of the Beholder was a hybrid article incorporating material from both Ed's and Roger Moore's noggins. I'd be interested to hear how Ed played beholders in the Realms and any Realms-specific beholder information as he was the first to give them any real substance in the D&D firmament IMO.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  17:28:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

I just thought of a question for the Ed or THO: (Note- I'm working my way backwards thru the previous years, so if this is asked-and-answered, I apologize)
Where did the Mulhorandi/Untheric folk come from? Was it, in fact Earth? I have always operated under the assumption (Just that, too... with no good reason for me to think this, except that it's a conclusion that I jumped to long ago) that they were from worlds in which the ancient Egyptian and Babylonian/Assyrian cultures were the dominant ones.
No real need for me to know this beyond the burning need to have as much of the Realms 'under glass' as possible.

Eric Boyd, and the post should still be on the message boards somewhere, basically inferred that they did come from Earth but it's never been flat out stated in sourcebooks. Maybe Sage kept the reply or I did in my gatherings of old posts that are stored on Keep's main site.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  18:09:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

(for example, David Webber is exceedingly difficult to get, at least in Melbourne).

You're in the wrong Melbourne. The Melbourne* I'm in has plenty of David Weber books.

*On the Space Coast of Florida -- if you look at the map, halfway down on the Atlantic side, it juts out just a little -- that's where I am.
And the Melbourne FL/Melbourne Australia joke never gets old!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  18:22:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I have reversed-played it, and gave the Imaskari a wee-bit of a Stargate spin, likening them to the Goa'uld.

That means the Pyramid-building culture originated on Toril (actually brought in from elsewhere by highly advanced Gnolls... but thats another story, and a Mystara/Blackmoor tie-in) with the Imaskari, who then spread it to other worlds throughout their colonies... like the one in ancient Mesopotamia. I also have them down as having a colony on Oerth (which gave rise to the Suel Imperium)... I do so love tieing my campaign worlds together.

Anyhow, I don't want to go off on a tangent, but my point was that just because the lore infers that said cultures came from Earth, doesn't mean that there wasn't a little cross-cultural polination going on, and that those people may have come from any number of worlds where the Imaskari established colonies (mostly for slave-taking purposes).

I have done the same for Eastern cultures as well (with Brian James' help) - the Shou did not come from Earth; a group that went through a diaspora became BOTH the Shou of Toril and the ancient Chinese of Earth (making them related, but more like 'distant cousins').

And one last thing - it has been mentioned several times by designers, and I believe at least once by Ed himself, that the 'Earth' of D&D is a seperate world from ours - the D&D mulitverse exists in an entireely seperarte universe, which has its own laws of physics and cosmic structure... and it has it's own Earth, who's Solar System exists with it's own Crystal sphere, quite unbeknowst to its inhabitants (refer to he World of Tiers series of novels for how such a thing is posible).

Edit: @Wooly - I believe he is located in The Merry 'ol Land of Oz. I believe you need a balloon or some Ruby Slippers to get to any place with a decent bookstore from there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Mar 2009 18:32:57
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  22:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

(for example, David Webber is exceedingly difficult to get, at least in Melbourne).

You're in the wrong Melbourne. The Melbourne* I'm in has plenty of David Weber books.

*On the Space Coast of Florida -- if you look at the map, halfway down on the Atlantic side, it juts out just a little -- that's where I am.
And the Melbourne FL/Melbourne Australia joke never gets old!

ROFL.

Yes, you are right there. I would probably have better luck in the other Melbourne! Though I'm kind of glad to live in temperate Melbourne as opposed subtropical Melbourne. No hurricanes (cyclones)! (But then again, we did just have the worst bushfires over here since Ash Wednesday, killing just over 200 people - so there's a minus for this Melbourne.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  22:45:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
<snip>

Ed also sent me replies to Jakk's queries. Re. the Cormyr lineage: little progress at the moment. Re. the announcement: not made yet, more snags have arisen. Patience (hey, I KNOW it's hard. * I * want all of this stuff RIGHT NOW, too!). Yet, I say again, patience. Ed's happily immersed in cranking out a novel right now, anyway . . .
love to all,
THO

Thanks for the quick response! No surprises (for me, anyway) about the (lack of) progress on the lineage publication. Can you tell us anything at all, however vague, about what's causing the delays in the announcement, whatever it concerns? I have no idea what this announcement is about, but ever since it was mentioned, I've been curiouser and curiouser... and of course, it keeps getting delayed...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  22:52:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

2. It’s spread all over the house. I have a study on the upper floor that was at one point crammed to the ceiling with just a tiny passageway through it (sculpted to fit my belly as I edged sideways along it) left “open.” I’ve gradually been emptying this into . . .
My main library in the “new basement,” where I work.
Other major book loci are the old basement (that is, the low-ceilinged basement of the original farmhouse, which is linked to the new basement), the dining room (shelves all around the walls and a stack of boxes to the ceiling around which unboxed books are mounded), front hall, bathroom, three bedrooms (bookshelves in all, books hidden in wooden sidetable cabinets in one), the spare room (shelves, piles, books inside a cabinet), gallery (bookshelves beneath the paintings and prints), living room, kitchen (the cookbooks, naturally), office (more cookbooks, the gardening books) . . .

Ah, gardening books. I'm starting to accumulate a lot of them...

I, for one, would love to know a little about what particular aspects of gardening Ed enjoys the most, and I'd love to hear about what plants Ed likes too. I'm a budding gardener myself (haha!) , and my own favorites are cacti, succulents, native plants of my region (northern New Jersey--if I recall correctly Ed lives in eastern Canada, which would mean we might share the same floristic region )...and I'm also going to try to grow some vegetables this year too. Also, Ed, do you garden with the intent of attracting/nurturing wildlife, such as birds, butterflies, and other animals?

Hooded One, feel free to answer this question too if you want.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 Mar 2009 22:55:02
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  22:55:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Eric Boyd, and the post should still be on the message boards somewhere, basically inferred that they did come from Earth but it's never been flat out stated in sourcebooks. Maybe Sage kept the reply or I did in my gatherings of old posts that are stored on Keep's main site.

Yeah, I've got the reply here somewhere.

I'll note further that Eric gave the strong impression they were kidnapped from Earth in Powers & Pantheons, but did not state so explicitly. Eric also hinted about this in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical [available as a free PDF download at WotC] in the write up of the artifact relating to Ptah.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  00:56:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring this reply from Ed to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's gardening questions:

Well, the bit of gardening I enjoy the most is walking through Capability Brown-style gardens I can never afford, around English country houses, where the entire LANDSCAPE has been sculpted and planted and dotted with follies and so on, marvelling at what can be done, given wealth and space and time and cheap labour I'll never, ever have.
I'm not a fan of overly-formal (Versailles-type clipped-hedge knot gardens and the like) gardens, but love semi-wild gardens . . . which is what Jen and I have, on five acres of mostly woodlot and fields let go to wildflowers (sumac and aspen keep encroaching, and I cut firewood and we harvest wild black raspberries and morels), but we tend to cut "rides" [green-grass paths] and let nature take care of the rest. Except tree-planting and wild shrub planting; we order and plant dozens of specimens every year.
Including roses and vines and our "beer plant" (hops), that grow up the posts of our carport every year and up along the railings of the bedroom-walkout deck atop it, to cloak the wood in a nice carpet of green growing leaves.
We also grow herbs (outdoor pots in summer, move them indoors in winter) and tomatoes and a few other sporadic food crops, and have a mature asparagus bed. In general, we plant a perennial bed, have a south-wall-of-the-house summer "garden" of potted plants arranged in tiers, and year round grow indoor window plants, including lots of cacti, succulents, and a giant jade plant. We also have the usual spider plant, mother-in-law's-tongue, and mares'-tail in hanging baskets, plus a dozen or so pots that move outdoors every spring. We feed birds and have butterfly bushes and plantings and feeders to encourage hummingbirds, wrens, bluebirds, and the like - - and get all sorts of birds, including (thanks to having semi-woodlands right next to the house) large woodpeckers, hawks, wild turkeys, and owls on occasion. I should mention that the house is surrounded by huge trees, mostly black spruce, but there's a gigantic white pine and three larger cedars that shelter the nests of dozens of nesting birds.
Sure beats living in the city.

So saith Ed. My own gardening, thanks to my work, has been far more modest, but I do have a small patio "wild bower" garden, and a growing frame that I use year-round for vegetables and some "companion planted, keep off the unwanted insects and pests" flowers, too. Ed didn't mention that as the years pass, he does more and more of the gardening grunt-work, from running two composters to all the weeding and watering to mulching and feeding and raking and carting brush onto an ever-growing pile behind the barn.
Gads, we're so both charmingly domesticated.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 10 Mar 2009 00:59:58
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  01:02:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and to add some Realms relevance to my posts this fair even: Jakk, the announcement has been delayed by ongoing legal negotiations. NOT lawsuits or anything of the sort, just getting all the details of an agreement firmed up.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  03:05:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

Oh, and to add some Realms relevance to my posts this fair even: Jakk, the announcement has been delayed by ongoing legal negotiations. NOT lawsuits or anything of the sort, just getting all the details of an agreement firmed up.
love,
THO

legal issues should be banned under ndas

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  04:51:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Hmmmmmmm...

And thats all I'm gonna say.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  05:00:04  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
A question for THO : did yours and Ed's Knights campaign ever use some of the early AD&D modules (Against the Giants, Queen of the Demonweb Pits, etc.) Thanks!

Edited by - RodOdom on 10 Mar 2009 05:00:22
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  14:25:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, Ed never used any of the published modules with us, though he was asked to playtest bits and pieces of some of their encounters, and did so when he could sneak them into our unfolding campaign so they "fit."
The early players DID ask him to run them through the Fell Pass, an early DRAGON-published, contest-winning adventure . . . with disastrous results, for them. :}
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  18:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

Ed, who have been some of the famous topers and drug addicts of Toril's history, and what stray bits of lore are associated with them? The Chinese poet Li Po, for example, was a famous drunkard, and drowned after leaning over the side of a boat to grasp the reflection of the Moon -- that has "mystery cult" written all over it! Have there been groups of famous artists (in the very broadest sense) who have relied upon communal drug-taking in order to produce their work, as did the French Decadents with their absinthe or jazz artists and their reefer? (Hey, I'm hep to the jive -- I know what it was that Minnie was mooching!)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  19:12:20  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Thanks for the comprehensive answers on the Earth/Toril connections, folks: If The Bearded One or His Lady of the Hood wishes to expand upon this, I'm sure there would be no gnashing of teeth here at the keep, but I hold myself fully answered.
I dig your reverse engineering Markus: I may just appropriate that- if I ever need to answer a question in this vein.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  21:47:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

I must echo Markustay's comment: Hmmm... And then I shall bite my tongue, for the questions begin to form at a fast and furious pace, and I know that I shall receive no answers.

One question that might be answerable does occur to me, however; do my two original questions in this discussion (the announcement/negotiations and the publication of the lineage) have anything to do with one another? A simple Yes, No, or NDA is sufficient; I know the rules of this particular game and how they work... liking them is another matter entirely.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  22:17:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'm going to guess No... final answer.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  00:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. I bring this reply from Ed to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's gardening questions:

So saith Ed. My own gardening, thanks to my work, has been far more modest, but I do have a small patio "wild bower" garden, and a growing frame that I use year-round for vegetables and some "companion planted, keep off the unwanted insects and pests" flowers, too. Ed didn't mention that as the years pass, he does more and more of the gardening grunt-work, from running two composters to all the weeding and watering to mulching and feeding and raking and carting brush onto an ever-growing pile behind the barn.
Gads, we're so both charmingly domesticated.
love,
THO

Thank you both for sharing your gardening interests and adventures with me, I enjoyed reading them.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Mar 2009 00:02:36
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  01:09:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Our pleasure!
From visiting Ed's house, I can tell you that he left some book-adorned rooms out. There are even bookshelves on the various landings at the top and halfway up his stairs - - not to mention built-in bookshelves all around the bed in his sleeping hut, down "at the bottom of the garden" (actually one overgrown farm field east of the house, beside the woodlot). When we were younger, Ed and I talked about "dream" garden elements, and Ed's was his own small private lake/overgrown pond with an island at the center of it and a "folly" (built-as-a-ruin stone castle) on it.
However, he can't dig one out where he is now because the soil is too sandy, and besides, springs rise on both sides of his property and run down its edges as full-fledged streams. He has a cottage up in Muskoka to satisfy the "boating on the wild lake" urges, when he gets them.
Steven Schend is the only other scribe of Candlekeep to have visited both Ed's home and cottage, I believe. On one of those visits, I'm told, they cooked up many entries for the Roll of Years.
And to Jakk: Markustay's guess is right: "No."
I only wish I could say more . . . but then, this works just fine as a tease, doesn't it?
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 11 Mar 2009 01:11:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  02:56:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Steven Schend is the only other scribe of Candlekeep to have visited both Ed's home and cottage, I believe. On one of those visits, I'm told, they cooked up many entries for the Roll of Years.
My lady, could Ed perhaps provide a few of those entries that maybe weren't included on the official "Roll of Years?"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  03:43:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

<chop>
And to Jakk: Markustay's guess is right: "No."
I only wish I could say more . . . but then, this works just fine as a tease, doesn't it?
love,
THO

Actually, that answer pacifies my curiosity more than piques it... but thank you and Ed all the same for the prompt reply. I've learned to ask non-research-related questions if I want to get answers soon. After learning of the true magnitude of Ed's library and the state of his notes, this does not come as a shock to me. The curiosity remains, however... "pacified" does not mean "extinguished", so I hope that these processes resolve themselves as speedily as possible... he says with a firm understanding (pun intended) of the role of lawyers: they are the glacial creep in the headwaters of the rushing river that is our society. I quite like that metaphor; if anyone wants it, they are welcome to it.

On the subject of the Roll of Years, after reading the Sage's question: Does every year have a contained event (no matter how insignificant) that its name refers to? If so, I'm rather curious about the Year of Azuth's Woe (1440, I believe), given that Azuth is now (canonically, at least) god-dust... and I've also noticed that the Year of the Ageless One is not on the Roll of Years that I have (in Word format, downloaded from wizards.com pre-Spellplague); did the Spellplague mess with the written Roll of Years as well? I'm extending the Roll backward to -1000 and forward to 2000, with 2000 DR being the Year of the Black Star; if anything has already been done toward this that you can share, I'd love to see it. (he says, expecting the usual three little letters that seem to answer any question of burning interest to him)

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Mar 2009 04:01:43
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  04:51:03  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I was just flicking through the Waterdeep novel earlier today (this is another book I've never been able to read from cover to cover), and came across a passage with Elaith contemplating a half-silver dragon "buddy" that has gone missing... One paragraph (the first two sentences in particular) kind of stood out, leaving me scratching my head and saying "huh?"

quote:
Some Craulnobers had been dragon-riders. Matings of dragon and their rider bought instant shame, and any offspring were outcast.

This sounds very un-realmslike, especially given the general sexual permissiveness of the Realms. Why the shame? (Is the shame only restricted to matings that result in procreation?) It's not like Elves or Dragons are non-sentient, and it's not even like they'd be mating elven with dragonform dragon (because that could not possibly work, not without pain or the risk of death). I would have thought this kind of love might well have been celebrated as a coming together of equals/partners. Or am I completely off beam here?

(I also get the feeling this might have been something Elaine wrote, am I correct?)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  05:59:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

and I've also noticed that the Year of the Ageless One is not on the Roll of Years that I have (in Word format, downloaded from wizards.com pre-Spellplague);

Are you looking at the correct year (1479)? Because it's listed that way on my list, and on the list downloaded from the Wizards site.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Mar 2009 06:00:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000