Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  19:29:38  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

My players have discovered some Chardlyn stones within thayan wizard stash but are unaware of the nature of chardlyn. PC Cleric used detect magic and detected schools of magic on rock and has asked mage to identify them. Casting a spell on the rock doesn't necessarily make it a 'magic item' does it? I'm thinking the identify spells are going to fail unless gray areas exist with divination magic that will reveal just enough to caster to know something?

So as strictly a rules question Chardalyns are considered minor artifacts, 3E Lords of Darkness page 181. Which means the magical aura from detect magic should be somewheres in the strong to overwhelming category. It also means that the Identify spell will fail on them.

A player playing a wizard might put two and two together though. Just as the player knows that the spell doesn't work on artifacts so would the wizard. If not I'd give them a Int roll. Hope that helps.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  20:11:04  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello,

Thanks for reply, just FYI, I'm never asking a rules question but always how Ed desired something to work foremost, I try to implement it if it doesn't cause seizures in my rules-a@$& group. :)

I don't see how they are artifacts being able to be thrown and destroyed but maybe you're right, wait and see.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  01:29:10  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Additional query,

What medium sized race crafts weapons for all these large and larger creatures, I don't see Ice devils making their own glaives, am I wrong, I'm sure giants have such weaponsmith but what of ogre's and other creatures? Don't other races see the profit to be made in doing so?

I see Eldritch Giant's as creatures who pursue magic, yet they have very well crafted armor and weapons so who makes such items for them?

Edited by - createvmind on 05 Jan 2009 01:31:02
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  03:35:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. I bring you once more the words of Ed of the Greenwood. Back on December 19th of last year, Jamallo Kreen posted these three queries: “Which is a lovely opportunity to ask my next question: We know (I think!) that El uses World Walk to visit Ed, but are there ways to intentionally visit Earth in different time periods if one departs from Toril in the 14th century DR? (I mean the real Toril, by the way, just so that we're clear on the when and where.)
In Ed's multiverse, is Earth available to access by spelljammer ships, and if so, in what year do they coming sailing in? (Heard on the wharf: "I know Klaatu, and that isn't him.") Perhaps The Sage will please be so kind as to repost again the URL for the Spelljammer fan site; I know they have at least one map showing Earth's presumed location vis-a-vis other crystal spheres.
Third, in Ed's conception of the multiverse, are there powers (or Powers) associated with Earth which prevent genuine time travel, to Earth's past or future, as Toril has?”
Ed replies:

As far as your first question goes, Jamallo, Gelcur’s post about the Safehold is quite right - - and is the only way *I* know of to travel from Toril to a particular “past” of our Earth (and it should be noted that the Yellowstone past reached seems to be a localized “bubble” or demi-plane that does NOT extend to the rest of Earth . . . so, no Elminster striding around the fog-shrouded, gaslit streets of Victorian London confronting Jack the Ripper or working with Sherlock Holmes . . . unless you as DM want him to, of course). This demi-plane has its own passing time, such that if you affect something on one visit, those affects are evident on a later visit, but doesn’t seem to “age” onwards with the real-world changes that affected the National Park in our world.
Earth IS accessible by spelljammers, but its crystal sphere must be (hint of truth: IS, for all of the following) either very hard to find in the Flow, or very perilous to enter and traverse, or both, because spelljammer visits are VERY rare. Time does elapse at different rates in different crystal spheres, so it’s hard to say what year spelljammers arrive, except from the point of view of Earth (the very few known visits were in the very ancient past, and in early Victorian times).
Regarding your third question, there are indeed preventions associated with Earth that prevent genuine time travel to Earth’s past or future. Just what they are remains mysterious, though they are obviously mighty enough to thwart the most powerful spells known to the Realms . . . so they may well be deities, or mindless natural forces of equal might.
By the way, consider that “remains mysterious” to mean until NDAs are lifted that I don’t believe will ever be removed, given the current ownership of the copyright holder and their usual stances to avoid real-world religious controversies. Any DM is free to arrange things the way they see fit for their own campaign, but it’s unlikely that official published Realmslore will ever Go There.

So saith Ed. Who, please note, isn’t ruling out Elminster or other mages (or users of gates/portals/artifacts) jaunting between the Realms and Earth in “real time” (as happened in those many “Wizards Three” articles, a series begun at the request of the magazine’s editor of the day). Interested readers are referred to Ed’s classic “Gates” article in issue 37 of what was then “The DRAGON” (later DRAGON Magazine) for more, or his classic Hells articles in DRAGON, or the various MANUALS OF THE PLANES (Jeff Grubb consulted Ed unofficially when writing the first one).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  20:47:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Elminster assisting Sherlock Holmes in catching Jack the Ripper?

I think you just found a whole new way to get me excited, THO. Masque of the Red Death is one of my favorite sub-settings (for RL), and I can see El in a suit and Tophat acting in a 'Sagely' capacity, perhaps even working with Torchwood.

AS for an SJ ship in our sphere - we live in what would be called a low-magic sphere, and a Spelljammer would have numerous problems in navigating our sphere, just as a RW spaceship would have problems with the physics of a high-magic sphere (see Expedition to the Barrier Peaks). One doesn't necessarily preclude the other, but magic and technology appear to 'run interference' in regards to each other, which is why most worlds go either one way or another.

Not that work-arounds can't be found, which is evident in worlds like that of The Golden Comapss, or in the very excellent and underated vid-game Arcanum (which had a wonderful system of magic vs tech, requiring a PC to make a choice between the two eventually).

The 'bubble of time' for Yellowstone sounds a lot like the 'slice of time' that Superboy lived in in DC comics (I know you guys are mostly Marvel fans here). Basicaly, it was just a piece of the RW timestream that was 'sliced-out' for use in a closed, experimental world (in the DC comic version, centering around Smallville). This was used by way of explanation when readers (and I suppose watchers of the TV series) wondered why events in Superboy's life never extended forward and effected Superman's. So, as strange as the 'Yellowstone Bubble' sounds, I've seen it done before, and undestand it's necessaity to preserve the 'real' timestream.

After all, we get too many temporal 'crossroads', and D&D will end up with it's own Council of Crosstime Kangs.

@Creativemind - just a shot in the dark here - Ed portrayed Orcs abit more 'advanced' then is commonly believed (yes... RAS wasn't the first, nor was Warcraft). I get this from the Elminster's Ecologies stuff he did - which is worth getting if you can. Of particular interest is the Orcs of the Stonelands, who were nearly as good at smithing as humans, as well as mining and smelting and all the other 'industries' usually only assocated with the 'goodly' races.

It wouldn't be too far-reaching that many of the ogre and Goblinkin races get their weapons from Orcish smiths - even giants keep Orc Tribes as slaves. On the other hand, advanced Cyclopses (not the debased ones we are used to seeing, which appear to be some form of devolved Ogre-crossbreed) are also very good with smithing, so they could be the ones making them for the giantish races (especially the Fomorians, keeping 4e in mind). One might even say they have an 'eye' for detail (sorry... couldn't resist ).

Also, in some of the Erlkazar stuff Steven Schend did (as part of all his excellent Lands of Intrigue work for the Realms), a tribe of ogres - the ones from Rivenshield - work with local human authorities against other humanoids in the region. It would make sense if the Erlkazar Gov't properly outfitted these 'mercenary police', since they gaurd their southern border and patrol the mounatin range there.

Also, let's not forget the Kingdom of Syphilis.. or however the hell you say it...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Jan 2009 20:59:33
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  01:06:17  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
That helps especially if it's lore.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  03:09:46  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,

Do all Faerunian spellcasters (pre-Spellplague) venerate Mystra (or Shar) at some level? Can someone refuse to believe her role in the Weave and still be successful (learn mid-level spells and higher)?

Thank you !
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  15:09:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
RodOdom, I bring you Ed's prompt reply:

To your first question: No. "Believe in the existence of," yes, but venerate, no.
To your second question: Certainly! Many worship Azuth without believing he's subservient to, or works with, or is even friendly towards, Mystra. Many wizards worship other deities entirely, such as Deneir or Oghma or Tempus. Such wizards may learn specific Weave-lore more slowly or with more difficulty than those who seek and get direct replies on details of Weave-related spellcasting from clergy of Mystra, but level advancement/learning, working with, and crafting mid- to high-level spells doesn't REQUIRE active worship of Mystra. At least one infamous mage gained all of his higher-level spells by stealing or seizing spellbooks and scrolls.

So saith Ed. Creator of Mystra and Azuth, not to mention many, many spells now part of the game (even, transformed somewhat, the current edition of D&D).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  03:02:53  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
A campaign question for you both.
In Waterdeep, JUST pre-Spellplague in dating, are there any nobles who lead secret "second lives" as thieves, merchants, low-lives, "just plain folks," and so on? I'm looking for everyone (that is, all motives, from crazy or thrill-seeking to wanting to learn how "the other orders" live and more sinister aims and purposes).
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  07:00:39  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

RodOdom, I bring you Ed's prompt reply:

To your first question: No. "Believe in the existence of," yes, but venerate, no.
To your second question: Certainly! Many worship Azuth without believing he's subservient to, or works with, or is even friendly towards, Mystra. Many wizards worship other deities entirely, such as Deneir or Oghma or Tempus. Such wizards may learn specific Weave-lore more slowly or with more difficulty than those who seek and get direct replies on details of Weave-related spellcasting from clergy of Mystra, but level advancement/learning, working with, and crafting mid- to high-level spells doesn't REQUIRE active worship of Mystra. At least one infamous mage gained all of his higher-level spells by stealing or seizing spellbooks and scrolls.

So saith Ed. Creator of Mystra and Azuth, not to mention many, many spells now part of the game (even, transformed somewhat, the current edition of D&D).
love to all,
THO

If it weren't like that, arcane magic would only be another kind of divine magic

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  11:40:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Asgetrion Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :
Greetings, Milady THO and Ed!

I have been running a Pathfinder Beta playtest campaign, which is set in Thunderstone, in Cormyr. I'm still fleshing out details, and filling in stuff as the campaign progresses and the PCs are drawn deeper into local intrigue, and therefore I have a plethora of questions for you:

1) Which noble families have holdings in or around Thunderstone?

From Jerry Davis' excellent list of Nobles of Cormyr two families have direct holdings in Thunderstone. The Huntsilver and Hawklin families.

Other current (circa 1370DR or so) Noble families with an interest/lands in the general area include:
Summerstars (Firefall Keep)

Immerdusk (Storm Silverhand is Marchioness Immerdusk)

Indesm (owns the hold of Hawkhar)

Yellander (seat in Galdyn's Gorge)

Naerinth (Lady Evenspire aka Laspeera of the Wizards of War)

Illance (Served the Crown in the "the Hullack wilds," or lawless rolling country, now tamed and patrolled farmlands, around the Hullack Forest)

Wyvernspurs (ongoing support for the Crown in and around the Hullack)

Deceased
Drauthglas - now extinct, their holdings were the Hullack

Beldarm Truesilver (hm)(1169-1235) likely to have been the Hullack Hawk (dragon magazine 281)

Link's here to Jerry's excellent six part document (about half way down the page)

As I too am running my current campaign in and around Thunderstone so any other Lore from Ed most appreciated

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  15:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Re. this, from Aureus:
"If it weren't like that, arcane magic would only be another kind of divine magic"

Good point. Very good point.
THO, I'd like to hear Ed's thoughts, when he has the time, of what a Realms campaign would be like if there were ONLY arcane magic. (That is, priests didn't have or use spells, except inside a sanctified temple, and gods worked exclusively by inspiring mortals via dream-visions.)
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  16:33:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Dear Ed and THO,
In Waterdeep, JUST pre-Spellplague in dating, are there any nobles who lead secret "second lives" as thieves, merchants, low-lives, "just plain folks," and so on? I'm looking for everyone (that is, all motives, from crazy or thrill-seeking to wanting to learn how "the other orders" live and more sinister aims and purposes).
Thanks!
BB

Might want to check out City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook (and ask Mr. Schend as well). There are a LOT of people that fit that bill. In a town where the rulers are hidden and masked to the public, it inspires a lot of 'alter-ego' types.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  20:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Blueblade

Dear Ed and THO,
Thanks!
BB

Ed answered a similar question about particularly blackhearted nobles last year I think - I don't remember when, but it was some pretty juicy information on the Sultlue family of Waterdeep.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  01:25:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. Back in mid-December of this year just past, Asgetrion posted: “Milady THO, I'm (finally) in the middle of reading 'The Sword Never Sleeps', and I must say that to me it feels to be the best novel from Ed I've read to date -- 'Cormyr: A Novel', 'Silverfall', 'City of Splendors' and the books in the 'Shandril Saga' included (all of which I hold in very high regard -- regardless of some of them suffering from butch... uh, poor editing ;). I think Ed has portrayed all the characters and their motives in a very believable light (I just *LOVE* the dialogue and interaction between the characters and their individual personalities -- whether they're Royal Princesses or Court Wizards or Purple Dragon officers or Zhentarim agents). And, there's so much attention to detail and nuances, both in the story and the language. Somehow I feel that Ed would have had more time and energy to spend on this book, because the "tone" underlying the writing seems to be much more... how to say it... light-hearted? Relieved? Excited? Of course, I may be wrong, but to me it feels like a lot more free of pressure (and other hardships) I know Ed had been under.
I'm just *so* excited about this novel, and hope that you convey my humble thanks to Ed for writing this novel -- it feels like a true gem among all the "required reading" I've lately done (for professional reasons, as Ed surely knows). And I also wish to thank him for including so many juice, inspiring ideas and details that I can st... er, borrow into my Cormyr-campaign!
A truly *GREAT* novel, and a "must-read" for all FR fans!”

I conveyed Asgetrion’s glowing review to Ed, who replies:

Awww, shucks. You’ll turn my head. (Strikes pose, stumbles, pratfalls.)
Seriously, I’m very glad you liked the detail and nuances and interactions, because those are just the things I was concentrating on, so I pulled off what I was trying for. Including the light-hearted tone.
However, I certainly wasn’t free of pressure while writing it. I was late with it and juggling many projects at once and dealing with some real-world family crises at the time, and must admit I sat down at the keyboard more than once fending these things off rather defiantly.
So if the book comes across with that loving-what-I’m-writing tone, I conquered and prevailed.
Bwoohahahah! World domination by next Thursday, and so forth. :}
Or better yet, I’ll just write another Realms novel, instead. I have some dandy plans up my sleeve, believe me!

So saith Ed. Who can’t say anything at all yet about what future Realms novels might contain (sorry, Zanan). However, all things come to those who wait . . . and wait . . . and wait . . .
(Patience, grasshoppers all.)
Oh, and Asgetrion: Ed’s at work on a reply to your Thunderstone-vicinity queries.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  02:38:14  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Hmmm... Just remembered this:

quote:
The Hooded One

A little bird (no, not Ed; he's anything but "little;" this particular bird is American, and dwells very near a seacoast) has told me there will soon be a major announcement regarding the Realms. Scribes, keep eyes peeled . . .
love to all,
THO

Any news on the announcement (and if it was made, did I miss it)?

Please let it be something along the lines of WotC is selling the IP to Paizo! *crosses fingers*

[EDIT: Wishful thinking, I don't see it happening, but that's why it's called wishful thinking. :D ]

Edited by - Razz on 08 Jan 2009 02:39:20
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  03:54:34  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Or a publishing company like Del Rey.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  18:19:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Please let it be something along the lines of WotC is selling the IP to Paizo! *crosses fingers*

And what happens when Paizo retro-fits the Realms to work with their rules... even if they are pretty much built entirely on top of 3.5?

Will people get 'all upset' all over again? Maybe not as much, but think about all those people that have invested in 'the new Realms'. Like them or not, they are still Realms fans, and another shift in direction - especially so soon after the last one - would fragment the fan-base even more, I would imagine.

My own personal vision of the 'perfect future' for FR? Ed gets control back, and develops it as a rules-neutral setting for novels and mechanics-free regional sourcebooks.

This way, we get all that old-school flavor we crave, and people can use whatever the hell rules they want.

I know it can be done, because back in the day several products that didn't have licensing were able to be created just that way - the original Thieves World gaming material comes to mind. You just use words like 'very' or 'extremely' in the text, and then have a 'conversion guide' for what that means in each system (broad strokes here, usually a set of 'target numbers' for each adjective).

I think the Realms could really shine under such a systemless format... too bad we'll never see that.

Sorry for the side-discussion, mods.

While I am eagerly awaiting "the announcment", I do so with trepedition. I am a firm believer in "no news is good news" (less disappointment, I find, in being a pessimist).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  01:37:42  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Let's pray to Oghma and Deneir that things turn out right (whatever "right" is.)
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  21:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Okay, I'll bite, Ed: if you had unlimited time and unlimited space to expand THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS (not extend the story into the Dales, but add in "more" up until that chronologial point, and you weren't worried about pacing, what would you show us more of?
In other words, if you were stuffing more lore into the story without having to worry about bloating or slowing down the narrative, what lore would make it in?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  21:52:16  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Okay, I'll bite, Ed: if you had unlimited time and unlimited space to expand THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS (not extend the story into the Dales, but add in "more" up until that chronologial point, and you weren't worried about pacing, what would you show us more of?
In other words, if you were stuffing more lore into the story without having to worry about bloating or slowing down the narrative, what lore would make it in?
Thanks!
BB
I can answer this one, if Ed will let me. [Of course, he'll add to it, but I cannot resist.]

Everything.

More of Alusair's iron will, more of Azoun and Filfaeril's love (whatever made it past the censoXXX editors), more of Vangerdahast's infinite gears in Cormyr's great machine, more machinations and traitors, more plots brewing behind the scenes, and more schemers, noble and common, trying to take advantage but not simply being "villains." More nobles trying to be heroes, and a few heroes that just happen to already be nobles, too.

More than that, though: more of the Knights showing that being heroes isn't always glamorous work, and that it takes quite a bit of blood to make that armor so shiny.

Oh, and more history, more foreshadowing of events that have already happened, more threads for readers and DMs to pull and tug on in order to make whatever they'd like the Realms post-novel to look like come true.

May he one day get the chance.

BC
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  23:13:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well said, Brian! Very well said! I'm sure Ed will have very little to add to that.
I know he's told me he LOVED doing the Alusair scenes, and would do more of them, but feels guilty that Tanalasta didn't get enough "face time," in the third Knights book.
Not to mention the Knights themselves didn't get enough scenes, and the hargaunt and the two "ghosts" got all too little explanation and exposure.
So, sigh, "everything" about covers it. :}
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  23:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
On a recent business trip, I ran into a fellow traveler in an airport lounge who said he'd played in a "library campaign" set in the Realms and DM'd by Ed years ago. He said it was very enjoyable, had some set goals laid down by the adventuring charter granted to the PCs, was in Cormyr, one of the PCs was a bastard daughter of Azoun IV and didn't know it until the last few sessions, and the play was very low-level, with almost no magic beyond the party's puny magic-user and some one-shot potions and scrolls (oh, and a glowing +1 dagger the party used as a lantern) found as treasure. No wizards, no War Wizards except as an offstage threat, very "let's find food" survivalist level (and they loved it).
My question is: is this typical of Ed's campaign play? His detractors like to decry his superhero-strong "good" NPCs, Elminster swooping in to save the day, and all of that. Is that due to TSR/Wizards, or Ed? I know he has very little control over the Realms, and hasn't had for years, but I'm curious as to "Ed's real Realms."
When Ed is running the Realms, is it "heavy intrigue and almost no orcs," as this former player commented?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  23:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Well, I've played in the Realms at a convention with Ed as the DM, in a one-shot session, and there was TONS of intrigue (sinister nobles and courtiers in Cormyr, trying to get control of a gate/portal to a ruined lodge in a forest in the Dales). Aside from some minor enchanted swords some of the nobles had (that glowed, when drawn), the gate was the only magic we encountered, except for the spells of the PC clerics and wizards (which were few and weak, thanks to our levels).
So yes, from my limited experience, I'd say that IS typical of "Ed running the Realms." He likes to confront PCs with floating talking heads or skulls or some other sort of creature the party will think is powerful but not know the real abilities of, though, just to get players talking in character rather than mindlessly hacking.
And I've heard from others who've played with Ed of wizards (NOT Elminster or any of the Chosen) literally having "walk-on" parts in the games they played, where the wizards strode past ignoring the PCs, unless the players were idiots enough to have their characters try to attack them.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  23:31:48  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Heh. I can top that. I've played in a session where Ed was the DM, and briefly played Storm Silverhand as an NPC giving the PCs (all of them were Harpers) instructions on a mission, in her farmhouse. She flirted and calmly dodged someone else's assassination attempt and spoke to Sylune (whom we never saw or heard), and served us all tea.
Then we set out on the adventure, and never saw her again. I loved it, but it certainly didn't seem like misusing a super-character to any of us. And no, she didn't take any of her clothes off.
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  23:32:37  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Darn.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  23:33:33  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ah, but the question is, did she take any of YOUR clothes off?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  23:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Gentlemen, gentlemen, we have GOT to get some new jokes in here. On the table, right about now.
(And no, that wasn't a suggestion directed at THO.)
Rather, I have another (serious) question for Ed. In a typical small rural village in the Heartlands, not on a major trade-route, what sort of selection of ointments, medicines, and jars of folk remedies for sickness or wounds or infections would be available? True antidotes for snake bites or insect stings? (I'm not talking magic, here, just physical stuff.) Or does it vary too much to give a "typical" village answer?
How common is good medical knowledge, among village elders or local "wise women" or whatever?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  02:25:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I took it as a command, good sir, so here I am. On the table, wearing nothing but a smile and my wristwatch.
Any takers?

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  02:34:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem. Realms questions, yes.
Baleful Avatar, the low-magic and few brute-beasties, more intelligent adversaries and intrigue, intrigue, intrigue is DEFINITELY the order of the day in an Ed-DM'd Realms campaign. Listen not to all the slanderous calumny of "PCs are powerless because it's the Seven all the time, nude except when clad in randy old Elminster, Ed's Mary Sue" talk. Unless players send their characters to actively seek out the rulers amongst the Seven, they will rarely appear in play.
Elminster tends to show up (rarely and for short periods) as a narrator, or "last ditch hint" provider, not a PC ally or superhero who overshadows PC actions. He generally seems whimsical, kindly but sarcastic, a few bricks short of a load, and VERY busy, teleporting "in" for a few moments and then "out" again, moving on to deal with his NEXT crisis. He feeds PCs a sense of excitement, of layers of intrigue they haven't thought about and conspiracies all around them yet hidden . . . and occasional "ye might try this" advice, and that's it.
Otherwise, he's just "not there" most of the time, and PCs blundering into his Tower will find it mysteriously deserted and empty, or that they've been gated halfway across the Realms or into the Underdark as they step across the threshold, or that some frightened Zhentarim adventuring band or other has stepped into the Tower ahead of them, and is now anxiously trying to fight their way back out, through the PCs.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000