Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  02:06:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time, a quick response from Ed to one of Zandilar’s followup questions about those enslaved Haldoneirs (and, yes, Zan, he’ll get to your other questions, promise): “Does Borlatha view Daunameire the same way Daunameire views her? And if Daunameire were to meet up with Borlatha again (both having been freed from their slavery), what would she think then, given the physical changes and psychological scarring her sister would carry? (I find their relationship quite interesting.)”
Ed replies:

Borlatha’s world-view and horizons have “broadened” greatly since she was snatched from idle luxury in Suzail (thanks to her enforced contact with so many more individuals, and her loss of weight), so she doesn’t “need” Daunameire as much as she formerly did. Yet Daunameire is “family” to her, and she would be wildly excited at an reunion - - just as Daunameire, with her own deeper feelings for her sister and the excitement she would feel at seeing the “new,” slimmer Borlatha, would be wildly excited at being reunited with her.
So, yes, they would probably try to resume a life together, if at all possible. I have no idea how long it would last. They would both begin it happier than they were (bored and drifting) before they ceased to be “pampered but ignored Haldoneirs,” but they have also both begun to really grow and change as people . . . and they might well “grow apart.” Only time (and the choices of individual DMs running them) will tell.

So saith Ed. Giving us a glimpse of how he views and handles fictional characters, there. (With a lot of respect, be it noted.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  02:14:21  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
A question for THO:
Lovely lady, when Ed was DMing you in the Realms, did you ever get the sense he was pushing you and other players to "develop" the characters of their PCs?
I don't mean add detail, I mean mature by being forced into various moral choices, being betrayed and having to learn "life lessons" or whatever you'd prefer to call them. I'm curious, but don't want to pry, so if you'd rather not say, that's okay. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  02:19:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Looking back over years of Realmsplay, I can tell you that Ed does that to all of us, all the time. He's pretty subtle about it, though, with so many subplots going on and we as the "heroes" having so much of a say in where we go and what we get caught up in, that we scarcely notice it. We're just "living our lives" in the Realms - - character lives that happen to involve a lot of bold, dangerous adventure.
So yes he does, but no, I rarely stop and step out of character to notice it. The Realms just seems real and we deal with things as they come along. Ed NEVER pulls you out of character to impress upon you that the character you're playing is about to make an Important Decision.
For which I'm heartily glad; I get to do enough facing of Important Decisions in real life!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  02:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
Animal question: do people of the Realms keep anything resembling the equivalent of "glamour pets"? I'm especially interested in the heartlands, but if there's a notable noble of Waterdeep or elsewhere with the equivalent of a chihuahua on her arm all the time... I'm curious to know what kinds of things people keep just for pets --not just familiars or animal companions-- and whether or not this kind of behavior sets trends or makes others scoff.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30019 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  07:11:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Animal question: do people of the Realms keep anything resembling the equivalent of "glamour pets"? I'm especially interested in the heartlands, but if there's a notable noble of Waterdeep or elsewhere with the equivalent of a chihuahua on her arm all the time... I'm curious to know what kinds of things people keep just for pets --not just familiars or animal companions-- and whether or not this kind of behavior sets trends or makes others scoff.

Well, it's certainly not canon... But I created a kind of fad pat in one of my Hooks; it was specifically Hook V in volume 6 of the Candlekeep Compendium, and I revisited the idea in a still-unreleased Hook. The glamour pet I created was the falcat (originally called the griffling, because I couldn't think of a better name at the time). The falcat is a miniature griffon the size of a housecat; they were originally created by using Duhlark's Animerge on a falcon and a housecat (for the spell, see Volume 1 of the Realms Bestiary by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa, specifically the duhlarkin template, or check the 2E City of Splendors boxed set). The critters have since bred true.

As part of the Hook, the falcats were quite popular, particularly among the nobility and other folks of wealth.

Steven Schend helped me with the Hook; it's one of my favorites, and that's why I eventually revisited it. I'd also love to see falcats pop up in canon Realmslore!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  12:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
So saith Ed. Who will, if he can, follow up with details of House Sorndrake, last of his four candidate “nasty noble families” for Daviot, then turn to more in the series of Thunderstone questions posed by crazedventurers, probably starting with hunting.
Not to mention Asgetrion’s followup Thunderstone questions!
If time presses in the next few days, Ed warns, he'll deal with smaller, swifter lore queries instead, for a bit.

Aye, thank you, though after poking my quill around the 'keep and the internet and coming up dry, I'm afraid I might have to add a trio of (hopefully) quick Daggerdale-related queries to the pile:
1. Is there any Realms-specific term or understanding of what we earthlings might term a "sting operation"? The closest I could come up with is "honeypot," with a slightly different connotation. I figured such tactics would be useful to Randal Morn in ousting Zhent agents, and was looking for the right term.
2. There's brief mention of a mage, that's moved into the abandoned homes in Serpentsbridge, Daggerdale: "One abandoned farm has been rebuilt here, along with another enclosed house that is said to belong to a reclusive mage who recently came to the area from the Scardale area. Both Randal Morn and Captain Durmark have met with the mage and afterward told their followers he will 'be an asset to the Dale.' Little more is known about him."
Is this mysterious spellflinger shielded by an NDA? Failing that, does he have a name, and possibly a demeanor and interests?
3. Although we have her name, position, stats, and brief involvement in a few adventures, do we know anything of Captain Mestin "Troll" Durmark's (of the Freedom Riders) physical appearance or personality?

Thanks much. I've really enjoyed reading over the Arcantlets, Bryarns, and Haldoneirs, and shall lore will undoubtedly be useful.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (TBD, 3.x/PF 14th lvl)
Want an 'Ecology of the Kitsune'? Races Revised: The Kitsune Clans
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  15:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Hmm. Where in published Realmslore was this "Troll" Durmark mentioned? I dimly recall this, but I don't remember where. Aaagh. Help, someone! Please?
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  16:06:02  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Helm

Hmm. Where in published Realmslore was this "Troll" Durmark mentioned? I dimly recall this, but I don't remember where. Aaagh. Help, someone! Please?

Hi Boken Helm!
This is not quite the right place to ask, as this thread is ment only for specific querries to Ed of the Greenwood himself, but I'll answer it anyhow:

Mestin 'Troll' Durmark (female ranger lvl 5) is Capt. of the Freedom Riders of Daggerdale. Her stats are in 'The Sword of the Dales' (TSR 9484) as well as in 'Return of Randal Morn' (TSR 9488).

A useful place to look on a search like yours is always the Forgotten Realms Index.

Edit note:
You might want to 'bookmark' the Index for the future.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Feb 2009 16:09:43
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  16:27:51  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message
quote:
"One abandoned farm has been rebuilt here, along with another enclosed house that is said to belong to a reclusive mage who recently came to the area from the Scardale area. Both Randal Morn and Captain Durmark have met with the mage and afterward told their followers he will 'be an asset to the Dale.' Little more is known about him."

Daviot, what's the source for this quote? Is it part of the Northern Journeys Daggerdale Expansion, or is it from an official source?

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  20:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

quote:
"One abandoned farm has been rebuilt here, along with another enclosed house that is said to belong to a reclusive mage who recently came to the area from the Scardale area. Both Randal Morn and Captain Durmark have met with the mage and afterward told their followers he will 'be an asset to the Dale.' Little more is known about him."

Daviot, what's the source for this quote? Is it part of the Northern Journeys Daggerdale Expansion, or is it from an official source?

It may be; I can't vouch for its veracity, but I swore I saw some mention of the mage among my 2e books.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (TBD, 3.x/PF 14th lvl)
Want an 'Ecology of the Kitsune'? Races Revised: The Kitsune Clans
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  01:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
So saith Ed. Who has provided us with another trio of interesting characters; as he’s said many times before, the Realms isn’t geography so much as it is people.
Me, I hope he’ll bring us scores more fascinating characters in the years ahead. I KNOW he’ll bring us more Realmslore replies here to Candlekeep, one by one, as soon as he can get to them.
love to all,
THO

Agreed on all points, and I'm grateful for that. Thanks once again.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  01:34:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. I bring more Ed Realmslore, this one a response to Malcolm’s query: “For a TYPICAL inn maidservant or manservant in Suzail AND (same question) for one in any of the Dales, I know they can tell an outlander from far away by they accent with which they speak Common, but how good are they at correctly identifying the general whereabouts of where someone stopping at the inn came from? I know some will be good at this and some bad, but what's typical? Thanks!”
Ed replies:

It varies wildly, with both the individual servant and the accent of the outlanders, but in general, folk from really distant locales (you said “far away”) won’t be correctly placed by inn staff in the Dales more than ten percent of the time at most, UNLESS they by chance share an accent with a caravan merchant on a local run (meaning, they see him or her at least twice a season, for a stopover), who comes from the same region.
In Suzail, a cosmopolitan seaport of goodly size but not as bustling or seeing as wide a variety of visitors as most of the Sword Coast ports, I’d double those chances (to twenty percent, at most). Selgaunt, Scornubel, and Alaghôn would be twenty-five percent, with Crimmor, Athkatla, Memnon, and Calimport thirty percent, and real “crossroads” places like Tharsult, Baldur’s Gate, and Waterdeep rising to as much as forty percent (again, at most).

So saith Ed. Who’s been known to adopt an accent or three himself, when roleplaying (hearing him do sultry young females is a treat).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30019 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  03:13:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

(hearing him do sultry young females is a treat).

We're still talking about accents, right?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2392 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  03:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
The whole body, actually. I saw him do the, "Oh, my lord, dost thou not know how I trow," bit at UCon a few years back. It had hands sliding down his sides and at the end there was a darting tongue. It was hysterical. I'm so glad I tape recorded that session. Even just the rather low-quality audio is still funny and insightful.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  04:03:43  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The whole body, actually. I saw him do the, "Oh, my lord, dost thou not know how I trow," bit at UCon a few years back. It had hands sliding down his sides and at the end there was a darting tongue. It was hysterical. I'm so glad I tape recorded that session. Even just the rather low-quality audio is still funny and insightful.

Trow? Isn't that... like... a cargo boat? Is there a euphemism at work here? Do I even want to know?

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  04:10:07  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd imagine Ed's capable of so much more. *snicker*

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  08:01:46  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Oh gods...

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  08:18:49  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

The elven spirits thread on the general board had me looking through some old material for elven undead and I'm wondering what the incarnates of faith and hope are in Sehanine's entry in Demihuman Deities. They are some of her servant creatures listed on page 126.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  10:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage  Click to see Gang Falconhand's MSN Messenger address Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message
I have a question for Ed.

Other than the robes/helm etc. that conceal the identities of the Lords of Waterdeep are there any official regalia of the rulership of the city? Sceptres or crowns of previous rulers prior to the current system of government, symbolic orbs or swords or anything similar, that still play a role in the pomp and ceremony of the governance of Waterdeep. I'm thinking, something like the sceptre used in the UK parliament.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  13:32:08  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd imagine Ed's capable of so much more. *snicker*

He basicly seduces the whole room everytime he speaks! You know , the men want to be him and the women want to...

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  13:45:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Another question to Ed´s evergrowing pile.

About the superstitions. There are some specifics Realms superstitions, specially in the Unnaprocheable East region? And racially speaking, there are some superstitions of the stout folk that you could share with us?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  03:21:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed now tackles this query from Hawkfeather, about the pre-Spellplague Vast of the Realms: “Hello, Ed! One of my players asked me this morning about the relationships between the cities of the Vast. He also wants to know more about how the laws of one city affects the others (specifically Calaunt, Tantras, Ravens Bluff and Procampur - but feel free to share more information about other cities!! Please!!). For example, if a someone commits a crime in one city and hides in another one, the criminal could be sent back to be judged? A representative of the offended city could enter in another city to arrest the criminal? Could you help me give him the answers?
Thanks in advance!”
Ed replies:

Calaunt (which I most fully described in the 2e FORGOTTEN REALMS ADVENTURES hardcover), Tantras (which got much shorter shrift in my Avatar adventure module of the same name, and talked about briefly here at the Keep, much later), Ravens Bluff (which I described, pre-destruction, in great detail in THE CITY OF RAVENS BLUFF 2e sourcebook) and Procampur (which I’ve touched on here and there, including here at the Keep, but which was a campaign focus for the RPGA for long enough to keep my treatments of it skimpy, at best) are all very different cities.
To put things very simply, Calaunt is a nasty “police-state”-like port that’s no friend of anyone’s. Tantras is a worship-of-Torm-dominated, generally law-abiding port that is a traditional rival of Calaunt, Ravens Bluff is (or was) a colorful, crossroads, generally lawless port, and Procampur is a law-abiding port with many intrigues brewing under the surface, that has more to do with other Inner Sea ports than with the cities of the Vast.
They are all independent of each other, Calaunt sends spies into the other cities and occasional raiders into the lands between it and Tantras to skirmish with the Tantran patrols, Tantras warily watches both Calaunt and “wild” Ravens Bluff, and Procampur regards all of the cities of the Vast as generally dangerous backwaters.
The laws of one city don’t affect the others at all; there’s no cooperation between governments and their enforcement arms, little overlap in actual laws, and a natural inclination to resist or dismiss claims made under the laws of the other cities.
To deal specifically with the two examples you give:
1. If someone commits a crime in one city and hides in another one, the criminal would not be sent back to face justice. A bounty hunter (or hired adventuring group) might privately travel to another city to find and apprehend someone, but their own actions in capturing the fugitive might well not be seen as lawful in the city they’re operating in. News of the crime could quite easily travel from city to city with all the merchants moving about, but might not have reached the authorities - - and if it did, would at best alert them to watch an individual they deemed dangerous (such as a wizard who murdered someone in the first city with spells). If they got word in Tantras that “Garlaustras is wanted in Calaunt for butchering sixteen city officials,” the response might very well be “Well, good for him!” (but also a note to the effect: “If we’re going to collect a fee or tax from Garlaustras, send three men, and make sure they’re armed”).
2. If an official representative of the offended city entered another city to try to apprehend a criminal, it could only be an envoy requesting cooperation from the “other city,” and this would only be given in extraordinary circumstances. If he tried to “arrest the criminal” himself without obtaining that unlikely permission, HE would be seen as a criminal for making the attempt.
Heh; the folk of Procampur just could be right: the cities of the Vast ARE, by and large, dangerous backwaters.

So saith Ed. Who created all of those places except Ravens Bluff (which was plonked atop his original settlement of Sarbreen, and was originally called “Ravensgate,” until someone discovered that a romance already published by another company prevented “Ravensgate” or “Ravens Gate” being trademarked by TSR).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  11:01:01  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
A (hopefully) quick question which was asked but never answered last year:

Can we get any more information on Lharave, the swanmay ranger of western Daggerdale? The only mention of her that I've found was in the Old Grey Box...

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2392 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  13:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Raven's Bluff was destroyed?? ::blink, blink:: When'd that happen? And in what product? Or are we just saying that the Spellplague nuked the place just like Halruaa?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  15:04:40  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I wasn't an active Living City player at the time, but I seem to remember that shortly after Ed's mammoth roundup description of the city was published (inevitably incorporating some of the "fantasy equivalents of real-life modern American businesses and in-jokes" silliness the RPGA members put there, but also including GOBS of useful new info on noble families that any DM can swipe for use in any campaign, set anywhere that has nobles), events in the Living City included the city being razed by invading fiends. A "reset" for that campaign, from what I understand, before the Living City was formally wound down. I think what Ed's getting at is that the rebuilt Ravens Bluff can retain anything a DM wants from the sourcebook he did, and eliminate anything a DM doesn't want.
Ed and THO, please leap in to correct me if I've got any of this wrong - - and are there any Living City veterans on these forums who can corroborate or explain further?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000