Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  13:45:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Another question to Ed´s evergrowing pile.

About the superstitions. There are some specifics Realms superstitions, specially in the Unnaprocheable East region? And racially speaking, there are some superstitions of the stout folk that you could share with us?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  03:21:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed now tackles this query from Hawkfeather, about the pre-Spellplague Vast of the Realms: “Hello, Ed! One of my players asked me this morning about the relationships between the cities of the Vast. He also wants to know more about how the laws of one city affects the others (specifically Calaunt, Tantras, Ravens Bluff and Procampur - but feel free to share more information about other cities!! Please!!). For example, if a someone commits a crime in one city and hides in another one, the criminal could be sent back to be judged? A representative of the offended city could enter in another city to arrest the criminal? Could you help me give him the answers?
Thanks in advance!”
Ed replies:

Calaunt (which I most fully described in the 2e FORGOTTEN REALMS ADVENTURES hardcover), Tantras (which got much shorter shrift in my Avatar adventure module of the same name, and talked about briefly here at the Keep, much later), Ravens Bluff (which I described, pre-destruction, in great detail in THE CITY OF RAVENS BLUFF 2e sourcebook) and Procampur (which I’ve touched on here and there, including here at the Keep, but which was a campaign focus for the RPGA for long enough to keep my treatments of it skimpy, at best) are all very different cities.
To put things very simply, Calaunt is a nasty “police-state”-like port that’s no friend of anyone’s. Tantras is a worship-of-Torm-dominated, generally law-abiding port that is a traditional rival of Calaunt, Ravens Bluff is (or was) a colorful, crossroads, generally lawless port, and Procampur is a law-abiding port with many intrigues brewing under the surface, that has more to do with other Inner Sea ports than with the cities of the Vast.
They are all independent of each other, Calaunt sends spies into the other cities and occasional raiders into the lands between it and Tantras to skirmish with the Tantran patrols, Tantras warily watches both Calaunt and “wild” Ravens Bluff, and Procampur regards all of the cities of the Vast as generally dangerous backwaters.
The laws of one city don’t affect the others at all; there’s no cooperation between governments and their enforcement arms, little overlap in actual laws, and a natural inclination to resist or dismiss claims made under the laws of the other cities.
To deal specifically with the two examples you give:
1. If someone commits a crime in one city and hides in another one, the criminal would not be sent back to face justice. A bounty hunter (or hired adventuring group) might privately travel to another city to find and apprehend someone, but their own actions in capturing the fugitive might well not be seen as lawful in the city they’re operating in. News of the crime could quite easily travel from city to city with all the merchants moving about, but might not have reached the authorities - - and if it did, would at best alert them to watch an individual they deemed dangerous (such as a wizard who murdered someone in the first city with spells). If they got word in Tantras that “Garlaustras is wanted in Calaunt for butchering sixteen city officials,” the response might very well be “Well, good for him!” (but also a note to the effect: “If we’re going to collect a fee or tax from Garlaustras, send three men, and make sure they’re armed”).
2. If an official representative of the offended city entered another city to try to apprehend a criminal, it could only be an envoy requesting cooperation from the “other city,” and this would only be given in extraordinary circumstances. If he tried to “arrest the criminal” himself without obtaining that unlikely permission, HE would be seen as a criminal for making the attempt.
Heh; the folk of Procampur just could be right: the cities of the Vast ARE, by and large, dangerous backwaters.

So saith Ed. Who created all of those places except Ravens Bluff (which was plonked atop his original settlement of Sarbreen, and was originally called “Ravensgate,” until someone discovered that a romance already published by another company prevented “Ravensgate” or “Ravens Gate” being trademarked by TSR).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  11:01:01  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
A (hopefully) quick question which was asked but never answered last year:

Can we get any more information on Lharave, the swanmay ranger of western Daggerdale? The only mention of her that I've found was in the Old Grey Box...

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  13:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Raven's Bluff was destroyed?? ::blink, blink:: When'd that happen? And in what product? Or are we just saying that the Spellplague nuked the place just like Halruaa?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  15:04:40  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I wasn't an active Living City player at the time, but I seem to remember that shortly after Ed's mammoth roundup description of the city was published (inevitably incorporating some of the "fantasy equivalents of real-life modern American businesses and in-jokes" silliness the RPGA members put there, but also including GOBS of useful new info on noble families that any DM can swipe for use in any campaign, set anywhere that has nobles), events in the Living City included the city being razed by invading fiends. A "reset" for that campaign, from what I understand, before the Living City was formally wound down. I think what Ed's getting at is that the rebuilt Ravens Bluff can retain anything a DM wants from the sourcebook he did, and eliminate anything a DM doesn't want.
Ed and THO, please leap in to correct me if I've got any of this wrong - - and are there any Living City veterans on these forums who can corroborate or explain further?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  15:25:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Started reading Dark Lord......great start, I am hooked already!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  18:11:36  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I wasn't an active Living City player at the time, but I seem to remember that shortly after Ed's mammoth roundup description of the city was published (inevitably incorporating some of the "fantasy equivalents of real-life modern American businesses and in-jokes" silliness the RPGA members put there, but also including GOBS of useful new info on noble families that any DM can swipe for use in any campaign, set anywhere that has nobles), events in the Living City included the city being razed by invading fiends. A "reset" for that campaign, from what I understand, before the Living City was formally wound down. I think what Ed's getting at is that the rebuilt Ravens Bluff can retain anything a DM wants from the sourcebook he did, and eliminate anything a DM doesn't want.
Ed and THO, please leap in to correct me if I've got any of this wrong - - and are there any Living City veterans on these forums who can corroborate or explain further?
Thanks!
BB

I don't think the destruction of RB ever made it to canon... it was just a clumsy fumble from Organized Play, the company who had the rights to Living City at the time...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  18:41:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

He basicly seduces the whole room everytime he speaks! You know , the men want to be him and the women want to...

I have unfortunately never been blessed by hearing him speak in person, but I have to admit when I play the YouTube videos, I listen enthralled - he is an epic-level speaker.

Compared to the podcasts of other 'notables' <ahem>, which I can barely sit-through, he comes-off as completely surprised that folks hang on his every word. You just can't fake that kind of sincerity.

And if I do ever make it to a Gencon, it will be just to see him - products I can buy anywhere, and self-agrandizing muckity-mucks I can find videos of all over the Internet, but being in the presence of true creativity is rare indeed.

I missed-out on ever meeting Gygax, and I don't want to make the same mistake with Ed.

Okay... enough 'rabid fanboism'... we bnow bring you back to our regularly scheduled thread topic...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Feb 2009 18:42:44
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  23:12:38  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
Thanks a lot, Ed!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  23:40:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade
Stuff about Raven's Bluff

Ah, ok. That's why I hadn't heard about it; it didn't happen. :) I'm not an RPGA person, so I hadn't heard of it. Easy enough to ignore. Thanks.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  00:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
Greeting and salutations. I've posted this question elsewhere, but no one was entirely sure of the answer. So, I was hoping Ed could enlighten me.

In Cloak of Shadows Elminster and company are traveling in a forested area of Daggerdale on a trail that was "once an important trade road" (TSR: 1995, p. 40). Having left early in the morning from Shadowdale on horseback, the sun is setting when Elminster announces that they will spend the night in the ruins of "Irythkeep". They have just put in a hard day's ride, a max of say 25-30 miles. The narrator indicates that "Irythkeep may once have been grand, but the winds and winters of passing time had not been kind to it since a besieging orc band had battered its wall from without, and the Zhentarim mage with them had summoned and let loose a Fire- spitting hydra within" (p. 41)

My question is: where is Irythkeep located and who occupied it before it was destroyed?

Many thanks,

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  03:00:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, fellow scribes of the Keep. I bring you once more the words of Ed, this time in swift response to Afet bint Tuzaní:

Your reasoning about the location of Irythkeep is correct; it is only a very short ride north along the Dagger Ride (better known as the Tethyamar Trail) from the North Ride, on the east side of the Trail (and increasingly overgrown). About a third of a mile (“just over one hill” from the North Ride), no more.
Centuries ago, it was built by a trading company headed by Garskran Iryth, a trader from Turmish who established a small hold here (a keep surrounded by a subsistence farm) from which he could trade with the dwarves of Tethyamar (cloth, leather, clothing and leather goods, drinkables, and medicines brought from the Vilhon, in return for smelted metal and forged tools). Here he intended to make his home, far from enemies back home and the taxes and laws of rulers he disagreed with.
Iryth’s small band of warriors held the keep well enough, but took heavy losses trying to get caravans to and from the keep, until they were just too few to defend the keep in a harsh winter. In the end, Iryth and his folk perished to the last hungry, chilled, and terrified goodwife fighting orc raiders and hungry monsters, notably persistent packs of wolves.
The keep then passed through a succession of owners, mainly knights who set themselves up as local lordlings. Most of them perished in monster raids or at the hands of underlings who turned on them, with the keep and its attached stables standing empty until the next would-be lord came along. Few of them did much to the keep beyond replacing its roofs and doors when necessary, and it started to crumble.
It was little more than a ramshackle barracks-fortress guarding the southern approach to Daggerdale by the time Zhentarim started backing orc bands in an all-out attempt to conquer Daggerdale and scour out all inhabitants who wouldn’t bow to them - - and one such band blasted the keep to get at a small band of dale defenders taking refuge in it.

So saith Ed. Who has just sent me another, longer offering of Realmslore, I see. Coming riiiight up, scribes!
P.S. When Ed mentions your "reasoning," Afetbinttuzaní, he means what you posted in your thread querying Irythkeep's location, elsewhere at the Keep (I sent it along to him).
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Feb 2009 03:02:36
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  03:03:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
As I just said, Ed isn’t done yet. This time, he’s tackled a query from creyzu4zb12: “Ed, do you know other epic orc characters in Faerun? I'm a big fan of orcs like Oblon Oblivious, Vrakk, Obould, Shield etc. and I can't seem to get enough of them. It'd be cool if you could add up more knowledge to my list, especially the bad-guys.”
Markustay then echoed: “Orc lore? I would second that request - - Orcs had many kingdoms before humans even did, I'd love to get some background on that 'forgotten' people.
I find it sad that human and Elvish history doesn't record much at all about them (other then the conflicts). Perhaps the Dwarves could shed a better light? As for the Orcs themselves, their illiteracy is a major detriment to them keeping any sort of historical records beyond what a tribal 'Skald' might know.”
Ed replies:

Some time ago, Gray Richardson asked in this thread (or rather, an earlier year’s incarnation of it) for more orc lore. At the time, what I’d worked up was firmly NDA (as Rich Baker and Bob Salvatore were both at work on Obould, and might well take things in different directions than all the details of clothing, cooking, customs, and the like that I’d done), and I regretfully had to remain silent. Some of that lore is still NDA, but I can now say this much:

Orcs recount great victories and defeats and heroics through long chants uttered in unison over fires by elders, and learned by the rest of a tribe who are expected to echo all they know of such chants, until they learn them “entire,” themselves. Here’s a typical snatch of an orc chant, rendered into Common:
“Well remembered is Grishnakh, who first bore the Black Fang/Founded our tribe and fathered bold Halrak/Then came Great Halrak, four-armed, four-fisted, tall as small mountains, who made Black Fang feared, and fathered many/Regrarl Blackhide, who slew his sire Halrak, then killed many brothers to lead us, but fell to poison/Orglul, son of Regrarl and sly in battle, who turned to dark magic/Then skull-faced Lularleg, servant of shamans, who took us to new crags . . .”
Orc history is indeed hampered by its oral nature. Not only do different tribes contradict each other constantly in their chants (“We the Cloven Skulls beat the Black Fangs!” vs. “Then did we crush the Cloven Skulls, we Black Fangs, as we always do!”), but whenever many elders die - - in hard winters, in a horde sweeping down into human-held lands, or when a tribe is nigh-exterminated by another tribe or a greater foe such as a hungry or angry dragon - - the chants are either lost, or get so distorted because only a few are left to continue them that they become utterly unreliable as historical record (sometimes, it only takes the faulty memory of just ONE old, loud, stubborn orc to get an entire section of chant shifted out of place in the chronology, and if this happens several times over the “life” of an ancient tribe or clan, the mixing up “who came before who” can be very thorough). Moreover, deciding who was REALLY important or dominant can be hard for any later historian, because every tribe has its own self-centered viewpoint.
I’m dancing around something here, because I’m trying to avoid giving you the names of long-gone historical dominant orcs (thanks to the surviving NDA), so here are a few currently-active orc heroes (adventurers, war leaders, and “chiefs” [I’ve put that last word in quotations because actual orc ruling titles vary so much from tribe to tribe]):
Narrgh Longtooth, Glorundoun, Ahrkragh, and Ruglukh.
Details of these “hukrym” (“bold tusks”) will follow in later posts.

So saith Ed. Who’s hard at work on many things, scribes; please ignore his mutterings and pacings . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  04:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, fellow scribes of the Keep. I bring you once more the words of Ed, this time in swift response to Afet bint Tuzaní:
[Snip!]
P.S. When Ed mentions your "reasoning," Afetbinttuzaní, he means what you posted in your thread querying Irythkeep's location, elsewhere at the Keep (I sent it along to him).
love to all,
THO

Many thanks, THO and Ed for your swift and helpful response.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  05:06:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

<snip>
Narrgh Longtooth, Glorundoun, Ahrkragh, and Ruglukh.
Details of these “hukrym” (“bold tusks”) will follow in later posts.

I don't know if it's because I'm working on my Excel encounter generator (which also generates NPC names), but those last two names sound familiar. Have they been mentioned somewhere before?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  06:23:43  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
so here are a few currently-active orc heroes

Does 'currently-active' mean pre- or post Spellplague?
(I assume pre, as I am one of very few asking for post lore at the Keep, but figured I better ask).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  15:11:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Pre-Spellplague, Ed tells me. He's treading VERY carefully re. 4e lore right now, and I suspect [note: SUSPECT; Ed hasn't told me specifically why, and out of respect and my own understanding of NDAs, I haven't asked] it's because of two concerns:

1. Ed doesn't want Candlekeep to get any cease and desist notices because the site has 3e AND 4e material, and therefore gets deemed to be violating a Gaming Licence (if and when the company gets around to releasing the wording of a licence).

2. The style or approach of 4e is to avoid imparting lots of specific lore that can hamper DMs in crafting their own plotlines, and Ed is a professional who tries to work WITH the copyright holder of the Realms. This we have discussed, re. what's said at Candlekeep, and Ed has pointed out that providing detailed late-3.5e-era lore allows DMs running the Realms in 4e "time" to extrapolate from it (for example, inventing the "future" of House Haldoneir through the century timejump, building on what details Ed has given here) in many different ways. It provides a direction rather than specifics.
Ed hopes to have some face-to-face discussions with Wizards management soon (at GenCon, if not much sooner) about these matters, to make sure he knows where they stand on this, but he and they are both very busy, and hooking up via phone or e-mail has proven difficult. RPGA behind-the-scenes advice is a little different, but still "wary" territory.
The primary goal is to avoid having the doors of Candlekeep slammed shut, or Ed fall silent, or anyone else being hampered in posting about the Realms . . . so we can all go on enjoying this sandbox.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Feb 2009 15:14:16
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  15:22:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and Ed adds this:

Red Walker, I hope you like DARK LORD. I had a lot of fun with it.
Ashe Ravenheart, I don't THINK Ahrkragh and Ruglukh had been talked about in published lore before, though I've definitely mentioned Ruglukh at GenCon.
More Realmslore soon, everyone (probably when I get back from my library job tonight).

So saith Ed. Who is as busy as - - well, insert your own colourful metaphor now (e.g. "The village professional when a marching army stops by the inn.")
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  17:34:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Reading your point one makes me glad that I'm not the only one who is concerned about what the GSL might do to Keep. I know I might have angered a few people over the past few months, and during the last week or so, in my defense that Wizards does have the power to close this site because of the material on it. Sometimes it felt, to me, that I was talking to myself or that people didn't understand how easily Wizards could just go, "You are done, now remove everything."

quote:

Pre-Spellplague, Ed tells me. He's treading VERY carefully re. 4e lore right now, and I suspect [note: SUSPECT; Ed hasn't told me specifically why, and out of respect and my own understanding of NDAs, I haven't asked] it's because of two concerns:

1. Ed doesn't want Candlekeep to get any cease and desist notices because the site has 3e AND 4e material, and therefore gets deemed to be violating a Gaming Licence (if and when the company gets around to releasing the wording of a licence).

love to all,
THO

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  18:22:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Most of us understood, Kuje... its just all so... frustrating.. at this point.

Its even affecting some of the Netbook projects I am part of, because we don't even know if any of it can be 'legally' hosted anywhere when we are finished (not that there is any end in site ).

For instance, on the K-T thread, I was extrapolating 4e lore forward from the 3e timeline I am working on, because at least one 4e DM had asked me "How do YOU see Kara-Tur in 1479, Markus?"

I gave a very long reply (as usual - I do tend to blather on about the Realms, but only because I love them so), and the poster was thankful... but others on the project got a little... annoyed... because they said I should be sticking with 3e. The upside is - as I explained over there - is that by posting 3e/4e mixed lore at the WotC site, I couldn't possibly be violating anything (their own rules state they own EVERYTHING posted on their site, including artwork).

I really hate this 'line in the sand' attitude, because its stopping alot of talented folks (no... I don't mean me..) from producing Realmslore ATM. I liked it better when we could draw from everything for our homebrew articles and theories, and now we must 'pick & choose'.

When there comes a point in time when even the creator of the Realms doesn't know what he can and cannot say, there is a HUGE problem here.

I just want things to go back to the way they used to be (and I'm not talking about 4e - I'm talking about when we all could just discuss the Realms ad-nauseum without any worries). It just saddens me so that there is now 'politics' involved in FR discussions.

Anyway, before I get mod-mauled (by a Hamster, no less ), I leave-off on-topic -

Thank you VERY much for those names Ed, and I look forward to any Realmslore you will be attaching to them. The Orcs have always been treated as mere 'canon fodder', and it's high time they got a little respect.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2009 18:57:33
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  18:29:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Oh, and Ed adds this:

Red Walker, I hope you like DARK LORD. I had a lot of fun with it.

So saith Ed. Who is as busy as - - well, insert your own colourful metaphor now (e.g. "The village professional when a marching army stops by the inn.")
love to all,
THO

I am enjoying it greatly so far(9 chapters in) and it is easy to see that you had fun writing it, as they humor and innuendo are freely flowing and do not at all seemed forced or shoehorned in!(It's what I loved about meeting Ed, when you talk to him you may get a bit of this and a pinch of that...but everything he gives you is genuine and from the heart.

Two other things about Dark Lord.
Is there a map of the Falcon Kingdoms that Ed can point me to or share , no matter how rough? It would read much smoother for me if I could picture the lay of the land.
Taya reminds me very much of a few of Ed's beauties and a particularly Lovely Hooded apparition.....was that intentional?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  19:18:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, Red Walker. Ed just sent me an answer to you:

To answer your last question first: no, 'twasn't intentional, but (ahem), it happened, didn't it? :}
As for your other question: I'm afraid there's no published map yet. Here's a good way to picture it, though. Imagine a clock on the wall (one with hands, not digital) that has a square face, with 2 o'clock at the top right corner, and 4 at the bottom right. The top of the clock is north.
So Rod and Taeauna appear in Falconfar at about 1 o'clock. There's a mountain range running down the east side of the clock, which also forms the eastern boundary of Galath, and they travel down it to about three o'clock, which is where they turn towards the center of the clock and encounter a certain haystack (and barony).
Bowrock is down at about 7 o'clock, and the ruined royal palace is just south of the center of the clock.
The Rauklor (the seemingly endless forest) is west of the larger, fiercer mountain range that runs down the WEST wide of the clock. The Sea of Storms (with the northcoast Stormar ports) lies due south of the west half of the clock (i.e. from 6 o'clock westwards).
I hope that helps. I'll try to get Solaris to put a map on their website some day, okay?

So saith Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  19:41:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hello, Red Walker. Ed just sent me an answer to you:

To answer your last question first: no, 'twasn't intentional, but (ahem), it happened, didn't it? :}
As for your other question: I'm afraid there's no published map yet. Here's a good way to picture it, though. Imagine a clock on the wall (one with hands, not digital) that has a square face, with 2 o'clock at the top right corner, and 4 at the bottom right. The top of the clock is north.
So Rod and Taeauna appear in Falconfar at about 1 o'clock. There's a mountain range running down the east side of the clock, which also forms the eastern boundary of Galath, and they travel down it to about three o'clock, which is where they turn towards the center of the clock and encounter a certain haystack (and barony).
Bowrock is down at about 7 o'clock, and the ruined royal palace is just south of the center of the clock.
The Rauklor (the seemingly endless forest) is west of the larger, fiercer mountain range that runs down the WEST wide of the clock. The Sea of Storms (with the northcoast Stormar ports) lies due south of the west half of the clock (i.e. from 6 o'clock westwards).
I hope that helps. I'll try to get Solaris to put a map on their website some day, okay?

So saith Ed.
love,
THO

That helps thanks! And if they don't get a map online before GenCon, I may just have to plead for you to doodle it in my book for me

I enjoyed the "certain haystack" and how Taya thought Rod was daft for even asking where they were headed! You could almost here her add a Duh! to the end of her answer. Also funy how Rod keeps trying to call her Tay, and she always corrects him, but now calls him Rodrell.

Good Stuff!

P.S. and as always, thanks for the answers to mine and other scribes un-ending queries!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 20 Feb 2009 19:42:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  23:23:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

2. The style or approach of 4e is to avoid imparting lots of specific lore that can hamper DMs in crafting their own plotlines, and Ed is a professional who tries to work WITH the copyright holder of the Realms. This we have discussed, re. what's said at Candlekeep, and Ed has pointed out that providing detailed late-3.5e-era lore allows DMs running the Realms in 4e "time" to extrapolate from it (for example, inventing the "future" of House Haldoneir through the century timejump, building on what details Ed has given here) in many different ways. It provides a direction rather than specifics.
Ed hopes to have some face-to-face discussions with Wizards management soon (at GenCon, if not much sooner) about these matters, to make sure he knows where they stand on this, but he and they are both very busy, and hooking up via phone or e-mail has proven difficult. RPGA behind-the-scenes advice is a little different, but still "wary" territory.
The primary goal is to avoid having the doors of Candlekeep slammed shut, or Ed fall silent, or anyone else being hampered in posting about the Realms . . . so we can all go on enjoying this sandbox.
love to all,
THO

I appreciate the info on behalf of Candlekeep Ed, and from you as well, my lady Hooded One.

I'm actually involved in a rather tense discussion about the fan-site policy on another board at the moment. Do you mind if I borrow some of your words from here to underline a point I've been trying to make about the function of Candlekeep, as part of that discussion?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Feb 2009 23:27:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  02:19:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Neither Ed nor I mind, Sage. Caution and prudence are best policy right now, methinks.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  02:21:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you more Realmslore from Ed, this time prefaced by an apology to crazedventurers and the words: “I WILL get back to those Thunderstone questions, right after this,” and to Daviot, with the additional comment: “your Daggerdale questions and House Sorndrake, right after THAT. Unless, of course, a query is made that requires a swift response and happens to be something I can make reply to right off the cuff.”
In the meantime, here’s the first of those four hukrym Ed mentioned last time:

Narrgh (“NAR-hh”) is a grim adventuring warrior, a Conan-like loner who attracts followers constantly but whose deeds kill most of them off swiftly (he never turns on them; he just leads them boldly into greater and greater dangers). Several orc tribes claim that he came from their ranks, but all that’s certain is that he was first active near Glister, and has generally ranged east into the Great Dale, Rashemen, and even down into warmer human-held lands, in a three-decade-long career of lurking, raiding, and working with various improbable allies (such as the human sorceress Nlamra of Alaghôn, who cast spells on Narrgh to let him pass for human, several times gave him refuge and nursed him back to health, shared her bed with him on yet other occasions, and benefited from some dangerous slay-rivals-and-seize-valuables missions he undertook on her behalf).
Narrgh is aging now, but is said to be still out there, lurking and pouncing on caravans and lordlings (some say he’s in Chessenta, some put him in the Vilhon, and some swear he’s in the Border Kingdoms). Orcs who “speak with the gods” swear Narrgh is “doomed” to carry out one last great exploit, some great and violent achievement in which he’ll die, yet win victory. (“Longtooth” refers to his longevity, but it’s a nickname Narrgh himself proudly uses, and referred originally not to age, but to his improbable survival as his adventuring career grew longer and longer.) Narrgh has a long, flat head and small tusks, is taller than most orcs but very broad-shouldered, and the skin of his head and shoulders (but not the rest of him) is slate-gray. He has a habit of snapping his head around to cast quick glances over his shoulders, often and suddenly.

So saith Ed. Who uncovered his orc lore with some glee.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 Feb 2009 03:04:18
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  02:54:08  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello, Mr. Greenwood. I actually am just wondering a little something. I know you originally designed fey'ri and the Dlardrageth family, and was slightly curious if you've used either one (fey'ri or the daemonfey) in your campaigns that you've run. Thanks for your time!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  04:43:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hello, Mr. Greenwood. I actually am just wondering a little something. I know you originally designed fey'ri and the Dlardrageth family, and was slightly curious if you've used either one (fey'ri or the daemonfey) in your campaigns that you've run. Thanks for your time!

I'm pretty sure it was Steven Schend who created the fey'ri -- who are perhaps my fave evil race and certain one of my fave evil groups.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  06:01:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I'm pretty sure it was Steven Schend who created the fey'ri -- who are perhaps my fave evil race and certain one of my fave evil groups.

Actually, as I recall, it was Eric Boyd who invented the fey'ri.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  13:37:57  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Hey, I'd happily read seven or eight novels about Narrgh !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000