Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  23:35:58  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Why would she return to Cormyr with so much opportunity before her and no same war wizards to watch her every deed for the remainder of her life?

She escaped various forms of bondage IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  17:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
I wish to ask Ed something I've been pondering about: is the Realm of Gontal in Abeir a literary nod towards the imaginary world of Gondal that Emily and Anne Brontë (as children) wrote stories, poems and articles about?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  19:47:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I just sent the last few posts on this page off to Ed, and got this back from him, lightning-swift:

No, Gontal isn't a nod to Gondal. I have hidden more than a few "Easter Eggs" in the Realms, but nothing so overt or large-scale. Mine tend to be small details. :}

So saith Ed. Who, as we all know, LOVES small details.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Feb 2009 02:46:00
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  02:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
I agree with createvmind: I think Asmrella was too SMART to return to Cormyr. The price of denouncing her parents and seeing them get their comeuppance would be putting her own neck into the noose of being their replacement. She obviously thought her new life was better than the one she'd escaped, so why go back?
If she still hates her parents when an opportunity arises to do them dirty from afar, she can still bring them down via, say, the Harpers.
Sometimes the best revenge ain't revenge at all. It's stepping right out of the situation, saying good riddance, and really meaning it.
Leaving your enemy's victory really not much of a "victory" at all.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  02:43:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Well said, Malcolm. VERY well said. (And of course Uzzy and createvmind, too; your thinking concurs with Ed's, all of you. That doesn't mean you're wrong, Zandilar; she probably could have destroyed her parents very effectively - - IF she'd wanted to pay the price of doing so.)
Now, Ed returns to the Keep, via me (fresh from the gala opening of an exhibition of caricatures in Port Hope, Ontario, of 42 local celebrities, including Ed himself; he is, of course, “The Wizard”), to describe the last Haldoneir daughter, and the two Haldoneir nieces, for us all:

PAERELLE (“PAY-er-el”) had from early years an unearthly beauty; golden rather than straw-yellow hair, a perfect complexion (nigh-pure white), large dark imploring indigo eyes, and extremely sharp, delicate features. She was small of bone and stature, sleek and curved rather than muscled, and although she’d learned no hand-work skills, she had perfect pitch, spot-on mimicry with a great range in voices (from deep male to faerie-bell clear) and a great natural talent for singing, and could read and write superbly. Blessed with an exacting, exhaustive memory for smells, faces, names, and dates, she might make the perfect witness.
Growing up very much in the shadow of her sisters, she learned to stay mute and challenge no one, even when treated with great cruelty. However, she never forgot ANYTHING, and was quite a shrewd judge of character.
She suspected what her fate might soon be after the “taking” of Borlatha and Daunameire, and quietly made preparations, approaching Lelrard Dorryn, a young male stable servant of the Haldoneirs whom she knew was smitten with her, to follow and rescue her in return for her hand in marriage and what wealth she could snatch.
Unfortunately, he wasn’t present when she was taken, and could only follow her. When the slaving trail led from Marsember to Westgate, Dorryn sought out a Harper he knew in Marsember, revealed all he knew, then bought passage to Westgate - - where he was soon murdered by the slavers when his clumsy pokings and pryings led them to notice him. By then, Paerelle had been bought by a brothelkeeper and had “entertained” hundreds of clients who paid extra to “violate a noble lady;” many of them returned often after they’d seen and felt her beauty.
A tenday later, when Dorryn had failed to leave word with Harpers in Westgate, they set out to find him and Paerelle Haldoneir. The result was a messy little private war that went on in the streets, back alleys, upper rooms, and secret passages of Westgate for the better part of a month, ending with a handful of Harpers dead but a slaving gang nigh-exterminated, a certain brothelkeeper murdered, and his brothel emptied and set afire by desperately-fleeing “working lasses.”
Given refuge by a Harper, Paerelle Haldoneir proved to be as wise as her eldest sister Asmrella; she refused to return to Cormyr or use her own name ever again. She had discovered she quite liked lovemaking (even receiving pain, so long as it was on HER terms), and discovered she liked manipulating men (and women, too) even more.
Local Harpers offered her a deal; if she would join the Harpers, gathering information and providing a safe haven for traveling Harpers, they would set her up in her own “brothel-of-one” in any city she desired . . . and relocate her whenever she grew bored or felt unsafe. She agreed, began work in Alaghôn, has enjoyed it, and is busily learning all she can of other places in the Realms (from clients and Harpers alike) so she can choose the “best” next place she’ll dwell. She has become the lover and fast friend of over a dozen Harpers, and is heartily glad to have put her Haldoneir heritage “forever” (in her words) behind her.

BORLATHA (“Boar-LATH-ah”) was a fat, jovial-mannered but deeply unhappy lass some seven summers older than Asmrella. More fond of food and drink - - for which she has developed a prodigious capacity without seeming to be drunk - - than of anything else, and feeling trapped in “the body of a rosy, cuddly SOW” (as she put it more than once, disgusted and despairing) she had gradually withdrawn from feasts, revels, and all other public appearances. Her life became a matter of staying in her home eating sweets, reading endless racy chapbooks, hearing the latest gossip of Suzail from tale-tellers who visited her for talk, splendid meals, and fine wine whilst she conversed with them from behind a curtain, and making love with her sister. Bored and jaded with idle luxury, she had begun “investigating” various faiths (shady cults in particular) seeking some way out of her body into a new life - - or failing that, some thrills to pass the time.
Sold into slavery as a unlovely, talentless, overfed weakling (literally for a lone copper coin), she was intended to be killed and served up as food to jaded wealthy folk of Westgate seeking illicit thrills. However, she soothed and cuddled the cage full of weeping, shrieking, and self-harming slave children she was thrown in with, and a grateful slavemaster put her to work as a “den mother” for his slave pens. Starved, she has lost most of her fat, though much of her skin hangs in loose folds, and gained a lot of energy - - but can see no way out, and is clinging to her “mothering” role as her only purpose in life. Raped by several male slaves, she is best described as “resigned” to her new life rather than happy, but she’s decided to live for the moment, try not to think about her ultimate fate, and to forget that she was ever noble.

DAUNAMEIRE (“DON-ah-meer”) was as tall, thin, and slender as her sister Borlatha was fat. From birth to now, she has had a build that shows all her ribs for counting. She has a large nose but striking beauty, with severe black brows and curly, honey-hued long tumbling hair - - though she has always preferred the company (and intimacy) of women to men, and was happily her sister’s lover for years until they were snatched into slavery. Daunameire has a sultry, smoky purr of a voice and an unconscious allure (her graceful movements are always just shy of provocative poses, and she’s entirely unashamed of her body and quite likely to casually bare parts of herself to show anyone a scratch or “where it hurts.” Neither stupid nor clever, she has always paid little attention to the world around, and so is by far the most naïve of all the Haldoneirs.
Being taken for slavery and separated from Borlatha caught her completely by surprise. Her arm was broken during her abduction (by accident, not as a result of her putting up any resistance), and one disgusted slaver thought it best to casually strike her senseless and toss her overboard in the Neck - - but she begged the other slavers to spare her life, promising to be their drudge and bedmate and willing slave, never seeking to escape or to harm them, if they’d give her a place to sleep and food to eat.
They took her up on the deal, and from that day to this has labored in a slaver’s kitchen in a low neighborhood of Westgate, cooking, keeping house, and warming the beds of half a dozen cruel, hardened slavers - - who now regard her as family, and will and have scrambled to protect her when the need has arisen.
Her arm healed with a visible irregularity and a recurring damp-weather ache, but is serviceable, and Daunameire herself is content with her new life. She misses being noble not at all, and is only wistful for her former idleness and luxuries on rare occasions, but she would very much like to see her sister - - whom she unconsciously regards as her life partner - - again.
Her owners not only have come to love and value her, they never tire of watching her dance, read them aloud chapbook tales in that loins-stirring purr of hers, and coming to their beds (and after a difficult first few tendays, they made a pact with each other never to fight over who “had” her on this night, but to be generous with each other and with her; if she wanted a night alone, or felt poorly, she would get it - - though to their delight, she prefers sleeping with men, even more than one, to lying in bed alone).

So saith Ed. Who has provided us with another trio of interesting characters; as he’s said many times before, the Realms isn’t geography so much as it is people.
Me, I hope he’ll bring us scores more fascinating characters in the years ahead. I KNOW he’ll bring us more Realmslore replies here to Candlekeep, one by one, as soon as he can get to them.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Feb 2009 02:48:25
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  09:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I definitely like those last three best out of the whole lot. They might not be the most useful for a DM, but they're the ones I can relate to best. Paerelle might make a good contact for PCs.

But I do have a question about the latter two in the post... Does Borlath view Daunameire the same way Daunameire views her? And if Daunameire were to meet up with Borlath again (both having been freed from their slavery), what would she think then, given the physical changes and psychological scarring her sister would carry? (I find their relationship quite interesting.)

I have one last set of questions not related to the families that have been detailed recently, but still staying with the nobles of Cormyr - which of the noble families would be the most loyal to the crown, and which would be considered the most Good aligned? Are there any noble families that would be Good aligned AND disloyal to the Crown (I am sure that is possible!)? Which of the noble families of Cormyr have pulled themselves out of corruption/depravity and reformed or redeemed themselves from their shady/traitorous pasts? All just things I was musing about in light of the latest details of Cormyrian nobility.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  15:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Obviously I'm not Ed or THO, but my guess would be the three "royal" noble families have to be considered pretty loyal (Crownsilver, Huntsilver, Truesilver), because even though they might have SOME disloyal individual members, they've intermarried with the Obarskyrs so much down the years that they're tightly knit, and would probably "go down with the Obarskyrs" if Cormyr ever suffered the equivalent of the Black Days In Eleint that Tethyr "enjoyed."
Of the way the noble families have been portrayed, I would have to put the Wyvernspurs (in the 1350s-60s, anyway) at the forefront of truly loyal families (unless I've missed something).
I'm sure Ed doesn't have the time or the desire (not wanting to really hamper future fiction writing) to give us a full scorecard of noble families for answering you, Zan, but I, too, would really like to see "five good examples" of noble families for each of those categories you outlined. NOT the "top five," because that would hamper a DM wanting to surprise his players with a "Hah! You didn't suspect the Hoohahs were blackhearted traitors behind their smiles, did you?" moment.
So, please, please, Ed, add another, oh, dozen waking hours to your days and get to this question soon.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  01:26:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
I would love to see Ed caricatured as "The Wizard"!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  02:18:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you Ed’s latest Realmslore, this time (sorry, Daviot; House Sorndrake IS coming, eventually) a response to just one of the questions posed by crazedventurers about life in Thunderstone and vicinity (add this to your accumulated Ed-lore on that area, interested scribes - - and yes, Damian, answers to all the rest of your questions are on the way, too; Ed’s just a little overloaded now): “Ranching: Are horses bred for work (dray, plough etc) and for the military/general riding? (or do they specialize). Do most folks in Thunderstone know how to ride?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Damian. Various sorts of horses are bred for both the plough and the saddle, with most of the latter being sold to merchants who come out from Suzail to inspect the trained “stock” and to Purple Dragon buyers (who rely on the constant observation of local animals by the resident Dragons, to make their picks).
Most of the locals who do ride tend to use old, retired plough horses to plod around on, often pulling small work-carts in which non-riders can travel as well as purchases and items they’re transporting. However, there are locals who own and ride horses bred and trained for the purpose, as well as nobles and wannbe-nobles who enjoy hunting (see my next answer, coming soon), and have horses trained for galloping across country, leaping obstacles, fording streams, and the like. I would judge that about 4 in 10 locals can ride, about half that number doing it well, and that perhaps 8 out of 10 have been on a horse (however clumsily and/or briefly : } ) once in their lives.

So saith Ed. Who will, if he can, follow up with details of House Sorndrake, last of his four candidate “nasty noble families” for Daviot, then turn to more in the series of Thunderstone questions posed by crazedventurers, probably starting with hunting.
Not to mention Asgetrion’s followup Thunderstone questions!
If time presses in the next few days, Ed warns, he'll deal with smaller, swifter lore queries instead, for a bit.
After all of that, there are some nice queries posed recently that I know Ed is itching to tackle.
Keep ’em coming, scribes; I’m sure it reassures Ed that the advent of 4e hasn’t caused longtime scribes to abandon the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  02:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Another question for the ever-growing pile.
When a death occurs in a noble family of Cormyr, and it's "uncomplicated" (they're not traitors, they don't die far from home or suspiciously, they don't carry some sort of horrible plague, and it's not war time or deep howling winter), where do they get buried, and how? I assume in a coffin and in a family crypt, but am I right to assume that? How are the bodies treated/prepared? Do practises vary from family to family or regionally? How is a noble's funeral different from a commoner's, legally or to heralds or in the eyes of the Crown or Court scribes? And are any noble families of the Forest Kingdom really eccentric about this? Severing heads from bodies or doing "prevent undeath" stuff?
Thanks in advance for anything you say on this topic.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  02:06:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time, a quick response from Ed to one of Zandilar’s followup questions about those enslaved Haldoneirs (and, yes, Zan, he’ll get to your other questions, promise): “Does Borlatha view Daunameire the same way Daunameire views her? And if Daunameire were to meet up with Borlatha again (both having been freed from their slavery), what would she think then, given the physical changes and psychological scarring her sister would carry? (I find their relationship quite interesting.)”
Ed replies:

Borlatha’s world-view and horizons have “broadened” greatly since she was snatched from idle luxury in Suzail (thanks to her enforced contact with so many more individuals, and her loss of weight), so she doesn’t “need” Daunameire as much as she formerly did. Yet Daunameire is “family” to her, and she would be wildly excited at an reunion - - just as Daunameire, with her own deeper feelings for her sister and the excitement she would feel at seeing the “new,” slimmer Borlatha, would be wildly excited at being reunited with her.
So, yes, they would probably try to resume a life together, if at all possible. I have no idea how long it would last. They would both begin it happier than they were (bored and drifting) before they ceased to be “pampered but ignored Haldoneirs,” but they have also both begun to really grow and change as people . . . and they might well “grow apart.” Only time (and the choices of individual DMs running them) will tell.

So saith Ed. Giving us a glimpse of how he views and handles fictional characters, there. (With a lot of respect, be it noted.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  02:14:21  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
A question for THO:
Lovely lady, when Ed was DMing you in the Realms, did you ever get the sense he was pushing you and other players to "develop" the characters of their PCs?
I don't mean add detail, I mean mature by being forced into various moral choices, being betrayed and having to learn "life lessons" or whatever you'd prefer to call them. I'm curious, but don't want to pry, so if you'd rather not say, that's okay. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  02:19:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Looking back over years of Realmsplay, I can tell you that Ed does that to all of us, all the time. He's pretty subtle about it, though, with so many subplots going on and we as the "heroes" having so much of a say in where we go and what we get caught up in, that we scarcely notice it. We're just "living our lives" in the Realms - - character lives that happen to involve a lot of bold, dangerous adventure.
So yes he does, but no, I rarely stop and step out of character to notice it. The Realms just seems real and we deal with things as they come along. Ed NEVER pulls you out of character to impress upon you that the character you're playing is about to make an Important Decision.
For which I'm heartily glad; I get to do enough facing of Important Decisions in real life!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  02:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
Animal question: do people of the Realms keep anything resembling the equivalent of "glamour pets"? I'm especially interested in the heartlands, but if there's a notable noble of Waterdeep or elsewhere with the equivalent of a chihuahua on her arm all the time... I'm curious to know what kinds of things people keep just for pets --not just familiars or animal companions-- and whether or not this kind of behavior sets trends or makes others scoff.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  07:11:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Animal question: do people of the Realms keep anything resembling the equivalent of "glamour pets"? I'm especially interested in the heartlands, but if there's a notable noble of Waterdeep or elsewhere with the equivalent of a chihuahua on her arm all the time... I'm curious to know what kinds of things people keep just for pets --not just familiars or animal companions-- and whether or not this kind of behavior sets trends or makes others scoff.

Well, it's certainly not canon... But I created a kind of fad pat in one of my Hooks; it was specifically Hook V in volume 6 of the Candlekeep Compendium, and I revisited the idea in a still-unreleased Hook. The glamour pet I created was the falcat (originally called the griffling, because I couldn't think of a better name at the time). The falcat is a miniature griffon the size of a housecat; they were originally created by using Duhlark's Animerge on a falcon and a housecat (for the spell, see Volume 1 of the Realms Bestiary by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa, specifically the duhlarkin template, or check the 2E City of Splendors boxed set). The critters have since bred true.

As part of the Hook, the falcats were quite popular, particularly among the nobility and other folks of wealth.

Steven Schend helped me with the Hook; it's one of my favorites, and that's why I eventually revisited it. I'd also love to see falcats pop up in canon Realmslore!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  12:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
So saith Ed. Who will, if he can, follow up with details of House Sorndrake, last of his four candidate “nasty noble families” for Daviot, then turn to more in the series of Thunderstone questions posed by crazedventurers, probably starting with hunting.
Not to mention Asgetrion’s followup Thunderstone questions!
If time presses in the next few days, Ed warns, he'll deal with smaller, swifter lore queries instead, for a bit.

Aye, thank you, though after poking my quill around the 'keep and the internet and coming up dry, I'm afraid I might have to add a trio of (hopefully) quick Daggerdale-related queries to the pile:
1. Is there any Realms-specific term or understanding of what we earthlings might term a "sting operation"? The closest I could come up with is "honeypot," with a slightly different connotation. I figured such tactics would be useful to Randal Morn in ousting Zhent agents, and was looking for the right term.
2. There's brief mention of a mage, that's moved into the abandoned homes in Serpentsbridge, Daggerdale: "One abandoned farm has been rebuilt here, along with another enclosed house that is said to belong to a reclusive mage who recently came to the area from the Scardale area. Both Randal Morn and Captain Durmark have met with the mage and afterward told their followers he will 'be an asset to the Dale.' Little more is known about him."
Is this mysterious spellflinger shielded by an NDA? Failing that, does he have a name, and possibly a demeanor and interests?
3. Although we have her name, position, stats, and brief involvement in a few adventures, do we know anything of Captain Mestin "Troll" Durmark's (of the Freedom Riders) physical appearance or personality?

Thanks much. I've really enjoyed reading over the Arcantlets, Bryarns, and Haldoneirs, and shall lore will undoubtedly be useful.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  15:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Hmm. Where in published Realmslore was this "Troll" Durmark mentioned? I dimly recall this, but I don't remember where. Aaagh. Help, someone! Please?
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  16:06:02  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Helm

Hmm. Where in published Realmslore was this "Troll" Durmark mentioned? I dimly recall this, but I don't remember where. Aaagh. Help, someone! Please?

Hi Boken Helm!
This is not quite the right place to ask, as this thread is ment only for specific querries to Ed of the Greenwood himself, but I'll answer it anyhow:

Mestin 'Troll' Durmark (female ranger lvl 5) is Capt. of the Freedom Riders of Daggerdale. Her stats are in 'The Sword of the Dales' (TSR 9484) as well as in 'Return of Randal Morn' (TSR 9488).

A useful place to look on a search like yours is always the Forgotten Realms Index.

Edit note:
You might want to 'bookmark' the Index for the future.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Feb 2009 16:09:43
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  16:27:51  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message
quote:
"One abandoned farm has been rebuilt here, along with another enclosed house that is said to belong to a reclusive mage who recently came to the area from the Scardale area. Both Randal Morn and Captain Durmark have met with the mage and afterward told their followers he will 'be an asset to the Dale.' Little more is known about him."

Daviot, what's the source for this quote? Is it part of the Northern Journeys Daggerdale Expansion, or is it from an official source?

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  20:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

quote:
"One abandoned farm has been rebuilt here, along with another enclosed house that is said to belong to a reclusive mage who recently came to the area from the Scardale area. Both Randal Morn and Captain Durmark have met with the mage and afterward told their followers he will 'be an asset to the Dale.' Little more is known about him."

Daviot, what's the source for this quote? Is it part of the Northern Journeys Daggerdale Expansion, or is it from an official source?

It may be; I can't vouch for its veracity, but I swore I saw some mention of the mage among my 2e books.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  01:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
So saith Ed. Who has provided us with another trio of interesting characters; as he’s said many times before, the Realms isn’t geography so much as it is people.
Me, I hope he’ll bring us scores more fascinating characters in the years ahead. I KNOW he’ll bring us more Realmslore replies here to Candlekeep, one by one, as soon as he can get to them.
love to all,
THO

Agreed on all points, and I'm grateful for that. Thanks once again.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  01:34:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. I bring more Ed Realmslore, this one a response to Malcolm’s query: “For a TYPICAL inn maidservant or manservant in Suzail AND (same question) for one in any of the Dales, I know they can tell an outlander from far away by they accent with which they speak Common, but how good are they at correctly identifying the general whereabouts of where someone stopping at the inn came from? I know some will be good at this and some bad, but what's typical? Thanks!”
Ed replies:

It varies wildly, with both the individual servant and the accent of the outlanders, but in general, folk from really distant locales (you said “far away”) won’t be correctly placed by inn staff in the Dales more than ten percent of the time at most, UNLESS they by chance share an accent with a caravan merchant on a local run (meaning, they see him or her at least twice a season, for a stopover), who comes from the same region.
In Suzail, a cosmopolitan seaport of goodly size but not as bustling or seeing as wide a variety of visitors as most of the Sword Coast ports, I’d double those chances (to twenty percent, at most). Selgaunt, Scornubel, and Alaghôn would be twenty-five percent, with Crimmor, Athkatla, Memnon, and Calimport thirty percent, and real “crossroads” places like Tharsult, Baldur’s Gate, and Waterdeep rising to as much as forty percent (again, at most).

So saith Ed. Who’s been known to adopt an accent or three himself, when roleplaying (hearing him do sultry young females is a treat).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  03:13:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

(hearing him do sultry young females is a treat).

We're still talking about accents, right?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  03:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
The whole body, actually. I saw him do the, "Oh, my lord, dost thou not know how I trow," bit at UCon a few years back. It had hands sliding down his sides and at the end there was a darting tongue. It was hysterical. I'm so glad I tape recorded that session. Even just the rather low-quality audio is still funny and insightful.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  04:03:43  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The whole body, actually. I saw him do the, "Oh, my lord, dost thou not know how I trow," bit at UCon a few years back. It had hands sliding down his sides and at the end there was a darting tongue. It was hysterical. I'm so glad I tape recorded that session. Even just the rather low-quality audio is still funny and insightful.

Trow? Isn't that... like... a cargo boat? Is there a euphemism at work here? Do I even want to know?

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  04:10:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd imagine Ed's capable of so much more. *snicker*

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  08:01:46  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Oh gods...

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  08:18:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

The elven spirits thread on the general board had me looking through some old material for elven undead and I'm wondering what the incarnates of faith and hope are in Sehanine's entry in Demihuman Deities. They are some of her servant creatures listed on page 126.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  10:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message
I have a question for Ed.

Other than the robes/helm etc. that conceal the identities of the Lords of Waterdeep are there any official regalia of the rulership of the city? Sceptres or crowns of previous rulers prior to the current system of government, symbolic orbs or swords or anything similar, that still play a role in the pomp and ceremony of the governance of Waterdeep. I'm thinking, something like the sceptre used in the UK parliament.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  13:32:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd imagine Ed's capable of so much more. *snicker*

He basicly seduces the whole room everytime he speaks! You know , the men want to be him and the women want to...

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000