Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  01:39:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin: you’re VERY welcome. I’m probably going to be delayed on the Haldoneir lasses reply for a day or so, thanks to a family emergency, but I WILL reply. Promise.

Thank you--and take your time, family comes first. Like Sage and the others I hope it's nothing too serious.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Feb 2009 02:19:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  02:55:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thanks, R-F. Off that goes to Ed; I know it'll make him feel better.
Hawkfeather, re. your Vast question, I hope you'd like an answer for pre-Spellplague, because I already know that after the Spellplague begins, one of those dreaded NDAs descends on that area.
I expect to hear something from Ed by tomorrow, or the late other end of today. The Realms is ours, scribes; enjoy it until then.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  11:38:43  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
My lovely THO, you're right: I'd like an answer for a pre-Spellplague Realms.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  15:43:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're very welcome.
gomez and Zandilar, while we're waiting for Ed's proper answer to gomez's request for terms for transgendered, I came across this in my old Realmslore notes (i.e. from Ed, during play, years back):

A warrior of either gender who dresses as the other gender (usually to get a job as a guard, bodyguard, or just plain soldier) is called a "winkhelm" in the Sword Coast North (as in: under the armor waits a surprise, to most; the term has NOTHING to do with behaviour, e.g. flirtatious, effeminate, or whatever, and is not pejorative; it's used with about the same casualness as saying, "He be a left-hander with a bow, sir" or "a bit shy on hearing right now on his right side, after that knock on the helm he took a tenday back, but 'twill come back, no fear; has before").

So saith Ed, years ago.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  16:26:59  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
A good word - one which people without knowledge of the slang might confuse with an obscure military term, which is always a plus if you want things to stay a surpise...
After hearing 'brightlass' in a way different context, I had come up with 'swordlass' (as in: a girl that carries her own 'blade'). I am not particularly good with such words but I thought it sounded reasonably Realmsian.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  19:14:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, a good coining.
As it happens, Ed uses "swordlass" to mean "lesbian female adventurer, unattached by choice." (The reason for "sword" should, of course, be obvious.)
love,
THO
Edit: not used in printed Realmslore for two reasons: TSR didn't deal with sexual matters of this sort, and "swordlass" also had an "innocent" meaning, too: young (not veteran) female adventurer.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 11 Feb 2009 19:15:28
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  22:58:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Just picked up Dark Lord and when I got it home I was overjoyed to see it checks in at 500 pages!
That my only problem with Ed's FR novels, 310-320 pages is not enough room to fit them. Will this be typical of his Falconfar novels?

And lovely THO, I need to decide rather to read Dark Lord or Dark Warrior rising next, and with spring coming closer on the farm may Only have the chance to enjoy one until summer. Can you give us a hint as to each novels feel compared to each other and to Ed's latest realms works?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  23:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Hi, Zandilar. THO sent me your last few posts - - along with the missives from everyone else these last few days, too, and to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin: you’re VERY welcome. I’m probably going to be delayed on the Haldoneir lasses reply for a day or so, thanks to a family emergency, but I WILL reply. Promise.

<snip reply>

Thank you for yet another very interesting look into the workings of Cormyr!

I keep getting caught up by my own real world sensibilities, which are sometimes difficult to see around... So what I've come away with from that is a noble can get away with murder, slavery, and other treacherous acts by just being cool, calm, collected, and making sure they aren't caught in the act, or can wash their hands of it and adequately shift blame... Reminds me a little of Drow society - do whatever you want to whomever you want, just don't get caught.

So how would Azoun V's decree that "freemen" are entitled to trials before their peers impact on this, if at all? The nobles fought tooth and nail against this, because it would impact on their "rights". Do you think Azoun and then Foril would work to change the status quo of society - so that nobles can no longer get away with selling their own kin into slavery, or cutting up whatever commoner (aka freemen) they feel like into pieces and then disposing of them? Is Alusair as Steel Regent trying to make changes? Or does she think her rule is precarious enough as it is and will leave that all this her nephew and descendants?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  23:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Yes, a good coining.
As it happens, Ed uses "swordlass" to mean "lesbian female adventurer, unattached by choice." (The reason for "sword" should, of course, be obvious.)
love,
THO

I couldn't leave this one alone!

But but but... We don't always want a 'blade' of our own! No 'sword' envy here!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 11 Feb 2009 23:15:30
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  03:56:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Zandilar, I'm thinking it's a reference to the sort of sword that's spelled D-I-L-D-etc. Ahem.
The sense I get from Ed is that Aluzair as Regent VERY MUCH was changing (or trying to change) the "rights" and influence and roles of nobles, with a LOT of support from "her blades" (the young nobles who'd ridden the Stonelands with her [yes, in all senses of "ridden"], knew and trusted her, and saw something of her vision of what the realm had to become . . . either her way, or a bloodier way, through a commoner uprising in which a lot of nobles would lose their heads), and that these changes, albeit with backlash resistance, would continue after her regency ended.
Red Walker, the sequels to both DARK LORD and DARK WARRIOR RISING are out, or very soon will be, and there should be a third book in both series, though I have no idea when the third Niflheim (that's the Dark Warrior series, from Tor) will appear.
Here's a quicky overview for each series:
- - the Falconfar trilogy from Solaris/Black Library (Simon & Shuster in the US) consists of 1. DARK LORD, 2. ARCH WIZARD (out very soon), and 3. FALCONFAR (probably out in the fall). It's the story of a fantasy writer in our world who is startled to discover that Falconfar, the fantasy world he thought he created, seems to be real - - and he's thrust into it. He's an ordinary guy, NOT an action hero, but people in Falconfar seem to think he's . . . the Dark Lord. I won't ruin it by saying more. Much of the action takes place tramping across a medieval-era fantasy world.
- - the Niflheim series from Tor Books consists of 1. DARK WARRIOR RISING and 2. DARK VENGEANCE (with a possible future sequel). Far more than the Falconfar series, each book in this series can be read as a stand-alone novel. They concern a subterranean world dominated by cruel dark elves who are NOT the drow of D&D (no spider goddess), but who take human slaves by raiding the surface world and snatching children. As the first book begins, one human slave, Orivon Firefist, sees a chance to escape his captivity and try to take revenge on his cruel captors AND get back to the surface world . . . and the fun begins. Orivon IS a grim fighting hero, and several reviewers have seen this as very Howard-like action fantasy. The action takes place almost entirely underground.
So I hope that tells you enough to choose, without revealing too much. I liked them both, for very different reasons. (Amusingly, Ed's usual detractors trashed them, but one detractor often directly contradicted another in their stated reasons for doing so; read into that what you will.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  04:09:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Zandilar, I'm thinking it's a reference to the sort of sword that's spelled D-I-L-D-etc. Ahem.
The sense I get from Ed is that Aluzair as Regent VERY MUCH was changing (or trying to change) the "rights" and influence and roles of nobles, with a LOT of support from "her blades" (the young nobles who'd ridden the Stonelands with her [yes, in all senses of "ridden"], knew and trusted her, and saw something of her vision of what the realm had to become . . . either her way, or a bloodier way, through a commoner uprising in which a lot of nobles would lose their heads), and that these changes, albeit with backlash resistance, would continue after her regency ended.
love to all,
THO

-

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  04:11:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I would also imagine it was first coined by snickering male warriors who served with such types, and was meant to mean 'Swordless', as in "they wouldn't want yer sword, nor mine... yuk yuk yuk" with much accompanied knee slapping and good-natured back-smacking.

And also because.. ya know... they were swordless...

Now Ed has once again given me a great idea for one of my own homebrew groups - the Seafolk I call the Bey'meir. They use female Sea-mages to control the weather and what-not (yes... it is borrowed - in part - from WoT), and 'Windlass' would be a great play-on-words for them.

And snce this thread is for asking questions, and since it just popped into my head -

Is there a Realms term for female care-givers, like how on Earth nurses have the nickname 'Florence Nightengales'?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Feb 2009 17:32:27
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  05:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Yes, I thought of that one too! But the other was just begging me to say it! (Since it was so "in character" for me, and I have to poke fun at myself sometimes or else I'd go mad... well madder than I already am.)

quote:

One would hope. But the Obarskyrs are seeming more and more like underdogs to me, which leads me to another couple of questions.

How did Azoun V and his son Foril managed to avoid a bloody backlash? It isn't like Alusair's blades (now that has a completely different meaning in my head!) represent every noble family (and there are probably none who are members of the staunchest anti-Obarskyr families, unless they have ulterior motives or are out and out rebels) - has there really been that big a shift in the attitudes of the nobles of Cormyr recently?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  07:54:52  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I got the swordlass reference, though I think not every lesbian has a need for a private 'sword'.
So... a swordlass who doesn't have her own sword is a cutlass?
*ducks*

(and yes, terrible pun... but I couldn't resist either)

Edited by - gomez on 12 Feb 2009 08:02:42
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  15:02:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
In regards to Ed's Falconfar series - I know Ed included a disclaimer in the first book's glossary (and has made similar remarks here at Candlekeep, if I recall correctly), but in case someone's thinking of picking up the books: The thoughts the books' hero have about a computer game company and what it's done to "his" world is not what Ed feels about the treatment that the Realms have received during its publication history - just remember who came up with some of the more memorable monsters that haunt the realms.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  15:36:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Red Walker, the sequels to both DARK LORD and DARK WARRIOR RISING are out, or very soon will be, and there should be a third book in both series, though I have no idea when the third Niflheim (that's the Dark Warrior series, from Tor) will appear.
Here's a quicky overview for each series:
- - the Falconfar trilogy from Solaris/Black Library (Simon & Shuster in the US) consists of 1. DARK LORD, 2. ARCH WIZARD (out very soon), and 3. FALCONFAR (probably out in the fall). It's the story of a fantasy writer in our world who is startled to discover that Falconfar, the fantasy world he thought he created, seems to be real - - and he's thrust into it. He's an ordinary guy, NOT an action hero, but people in Falconfar seem to think he's . . . the Dark Lord. I won't ruin it by saying more. Much of the action takes place tramping across a medieval-era fantasy world.
- - the Niflheim series from Tor Books consists of 1. DARK WARRIOR RISING and 2. DARK VENGEANCE (with a possible future sequel). Far more than the Falconfar series, each book in this series can be read as a stand-alone novel. They concern a subterranean world dominated by cruel dark elves who are NOT the drow of D&D (no spider goddess), but who take human slaves by raiding the surface world and snatching children. As the first book begins, one human slave, Orivon Firefist, sees a chance to escape his captivity and try to take revenge on his cruel captors AND get back to the surface world . . . and the fun begins. Orivon IS a grim fighting hero, and several reviewers have seen this as very Howard-like action fantasy. The action takes place almost entirely underground.
So I hope that tells you enough to choose, without revealing too much. I liked them both, for very different reasons. (Amusingly, Ed's usual detractors trashed them, but one detractor often directly contradicted another in their stated reasons for doing so; read into that what you will.)
love to all,
THO

Tho, thanks that's just the kind of insight I was hoping for!
I think I will read Dark Lord first, simply because I picked it up in paperback(now watch it be good enough that I am tempted to track it down in hardcover as well!) and can easily trek to and fro with it in hand!

P.S. thanks even more for including my answers underneath you answer to Zandilar.....

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  16:04:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're welcome.
I bring a brief e-note from Ed, this time in response to this, from Zandilar: "How did Azoun V and his son Foril manage to avoid a bloody backlash? It isn't like Alusair's blades (now that has a completely different meaning in my head!) represent every noble family (and there are probably none who are members of the staunchest anti-Obarskyr families, unless they have ulterior motives or are out and out rebels) - has there really been that big a shift in the attitudes of the nobles of Cormyr recently?"
Ed replies:

As for your first sentence, I'd LOVE to reply directly and in detail to this, but I'm afraid it falls into NDA territory, for reasons that I hope in time to come will enrich us all.
To answer the rest of your queries in a more general sense: yes, all of Cormyrean society has been shifting in its attitudes, as generations pass, and the "Devil Dragon War" (like the two World Wars in our own real world) really jolted the status quo; not only did a LOT of nobles die, everyone else (of the surviving populace) saw that the nobles, for whatever reasons, didn't "protect the rest of us" with their wealth, power to hire mercenaries and fortify their own properties and equip their own servants (and militias) properly with enough arms, armour, and horses . . . so a lot of the "automatic" obedience to nobles evaporated. Which meant the far more numerically superior commoners were no longer "amost entirely inclined" to obey or stand aside for nobles, and instead would tend to stand up to them, openly disagree with their crazier ideas, and "neglect" to obey them if not confronting them openly. As a lot of the younger nobles already thought their parents' and older relatives' behaviour was disgusting, and they didn't want to be tarred with the same brush, they started openly breaking ranks with the older nobles (something "just not done" in earlier decades) . . . and the ostracization done to those who did break ranks by the older nobles just didn't mean much, anymore.
So, yes, there WAS a large generational change, and it did happen fairly quickly - - though it had in fact been "brewing" for quite some time.
Now, all of this doesn't mean there aren't still some incredibly arrogant and/or authoritarian nobles; having lots of money gives individuals the freedom to indulge themselves, and inevitably some of them do so in such ways.
Yet a DM can easily have nobles who sneer at commoners or ignore them (except to curtly snap orders at them, when absolutely necessary, e.g. wave riding crop threateningly and snap, "Out of the way, cur!"), nobles who try to deal with commoners as equals ("Well met. I am Daerold Wyndstone, of House Wyndstone. And you are - -?"), and nobles (generally younger ones) who want to be thought of as commoners ("Well met. I'm Raerold Wyndstone, of Cormyr. Still seeking what I want to do in life. You?"), all in the same family.

So saith Ed. Who hopes to resume regular Realmslore replies very soon.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  17:37:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

So, yes, there WAS a large generational change, and it did happen fairly quickly - - though it had in fact been "brewing" for quite some time. <major snippage>
And I would imagine A LOT of that attitude change resulted from Allusair's 'involvment' with the younger nobles, which we discussed earlier, a few months back.

She had set the wheels in motion, and I would imagine the entire Devil Dragon/Grod Goblin/Ghazneth triple-wammy was just the catalyst.

She came out of all that looking like the 'brave heroin and saviour of Cormyr', whilst the rest looked like a bunch of petty and scrambling, self-interested cowards.

Its fairly easy to see the change right there - Azoun already had the people's heart - we saw that in the Tuigan Wars - but Alusair captured their soul.

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

I got the swordlass reference, though I think not every lesbian has a need for a private 'sword'.
So... a swordlass who doesn't have her own sword is a cutlass?

No... that would be a circumcised male warrrior... or a male-warrior who got a sex-change (perhaps from a circumcision gone terribly wrong?)

Or would that be a 'Cutlad'?

Which leads me to yet another question; is there such a thing as circumcision on the Realms?

For some reason I'm picturing only the Gnomes usig such practices...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Feb 2009 04:21:27
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  01:42:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed has managed to snatch time enough to continue his reply to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin’s query: “I was also wondering if the daughters and nieces who were sold into slavery were nice (or even "upright") like Flaernd was. Tell us about them.”
Ed replies:

ASMRELLA (“Az-MRELLA”), the eldest daughter, was probably the smartest Haldoneir of the last century. Dutiful, quiet, and under iron self-control at all times, she watched her parents at work, growing up, and thought them fools for being so open in their misdeeds, hatreds, casual cruelties, and arrogance. Far better to become the most superb actor possible, hiding all behind a façade of attentive kindness. Asmrella became that master player-of-roles, and was already a good judge of people.
She became the willing servant of her parents, seeing that as her best defense, and grew up into a taller, thinner, slightly plainer echo of her mother Taerenthe.
Although what her parents did to Borlatha and Daunameire startled her, Asmrella knew right away that it was a fate that might well eventually be hers, and swiftly made preparations - - notably buying a tiny vial of imvris, a contact poison that causes paralysis, from an alchemist on the Suzailan docks, one Rhegrest Marlambar. The vial was small and flat, and attached to an ear-hook wire, and Asmrella took to wearing it constantly under her hair, hooked over her right ear.
When she was “taken” and bundled off into slavery, she kept her calm and patience - - and was eventually rewarded with an opportunity to paralyze a sleeping captor, slit his throat with his own dagger, and make off with his purse, weapons, and cloak into the streets of Westgate. From there, she impersonated a prostitute about to entertain a drunken regular client, snared that merchant’s much fatter purse, and bought herself passage “out” with the next caravan.
She now dwells in Amn, where she managed to drown the dutiful wife of an old, rich, and nigh-blind retired merchant without being seen or suspected of anything (a river obligingly carried off the body), took the wife’s place, and is enduring the merchant’s fumbling caresses as she learns how to invest and reinvest his fortune, buy and sell his properties, and build herself into true formidability before the inevitable day she becomes the widow of Aundemann Haethmur. Whereupon “Marustine Haethmur” intends to sell out before the vultures swoop down to try to seize Haethmur’s worldly goods, relocate to Sembia, and become the doom of the Haldoneirs - - or at least of her parents. If she can manage their deaths in a way that both lets them know who’s killing them AND avoid being blamed for the murders, she will gladly reveal her true name and heritage, step forward to claim House Haldoneir’s wealth and properties, and swear any oaths of loyalty the War Wizards or the Crown want her to. If it benefits her, she may even keep some of them.

DORLARRA (“Dor-LARRA”) was the nastiest, most spiteful of the four Haldoneir daughters, and the least good-looking. Thin, sallow, and seldom to be seen without heavy cloakings of cosmetics and scent, she led a life of lounging, gossip, shopping for the gaudiest of gowns and furs, and been rude to all but handsome, eligible young noblemen at the endless round of feasts and revels she attended.
She enjoyed lovemaking, but believed it to be something to be passively experienced, and so gained not even the most basic skills of pleasing a partner. Which left saying spiteful things to be her sole accomplishment, beyond the ability to read and write.
Lazy, graceless, and utterly untrained, she became the sort of slave known as “empty meat” to slavers (that is: hardly worth feeding); not maimed or diseased, but worth little more than whatever minimum offer she attracted. Bought by a merchant who needed cargo-coffers filled by someone able to sort and handle fragile items with reasonable care (someone chained in place and worked for seemingly endless shifts, being paid only in bread, water, leftover table scraps, and old cheese), she was whipped or just kicked and punched when she worked poorly - - and has become emaciated, scarred, half-mad with fury at the world and grief at her own plight. The warehouse where she’s long-chained to a sorting bench and left to labor alone, following written packing notes, is somewhere in a Sembian port, but she knows no more than that, and as the unnumbered days pass, cares less and less about anything at all.

FEAENRELLE (“FEE-ain-rel”) was a dark, slender beauty with very pale skin, very black hair long enough to reach her ankles, and much silence. When she spoke, her croaking frog-voice made the reason for her customary silence obvious. Clever with numbers and mechanical things, and blessed with not just the wits to reason but the ability to see consequences and likelihoods that were less than obvious, she could make a very good merchant - - and that’s just what she’s become, albeit as a slave and bed-partner to a constantly-travelling merchant, Klardabreir of Airspur, who primarily deals in wines, spirits, and physics (medicinal or purportedly-medicinal drinks). Usually confined to the aging, kindly, stout, white-bearded Naumble Klardabreir’s rooms or ship cabin (he owns three merchant caravels that ply the Inner Sea), she is increasingly trusted and loved - - and is so glad to be rid of the parents and kin she so feared that she’s beginning to return that love and trust, though she longs for Klardabreir to free and marry her, or better yet sell her to someone her age and handsome, who will free and then marry her. Her diligence in matters of trade and her skills have played no small part in the rising fortunes of Klardabreir of Airspur, and though she’s not been paid a single coin for her service, she’s been well fed, given treats and gifts when Klardabreir’s been especially pleased, and although she now has a key to the manacles she wore for so long and a dagger hidden where she can get to them, she no longer dreams every day and night of using them to seize any good chance to escape, when one should come along. If she never saw Cormyr again, that wouldn’t bother her one whit, she thinks - - but finds herself dissolving into tears and excitement whenever she catches even a glimpse of the distant coast of the Forest Kingdom.

So saith Ed. Who will return when he can to describe the last Haldoneir daughter, and the two nieces. Hang in there, scribes; Ed is “on the job.”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  07:21:48  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Well. That is very intersting. I like Asmrella and Feanerelle. They seem like excellent characters in a story. I pefer Feanerelle, because she seems to be nicer and better. I don't suppose we'll ever find out what really happened in the end, will we? No short story about this? If so, would Ed mind if I try to write something with this?
And I can't wait for the rest of the lore.

EDIT: If Asmerella wants revenge that badly, why get complicated? Wait until her 'husband' dies, go to Cormyr, find a War wizard, and tell him the 'horrible' story of being sold into slavery with her sisters by her parents and brother, thus solving all the problems: Her parents and brother get killed, they know it was she who did it, and she gets the holdings.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 13 Feb 2009 10:09:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  07:22:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Asmrella is one of the most interesting NPCs I've seen in a while.

Feanrelle is interesting, too, but not as interesting as Asmrella.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  08:48:20  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Asmrella has the potential to influence 4e realms, even. I can imagine a Haethmur family in Sembia (or environs) as the arch rivals of the remains of the Haldoneirs. It may even be a relatively nice family - the hatred for the Haldoneirs may seem entirely irrational, yet drives the family to oppose them even when that would be against their best interests.
Of course, such would assume Asmrella's plot never really worked out, or at least that her thirst for revenge was never quenched, but her grandsons/daughters may try just the harder.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  11:15:41  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message
How long it takes to catch up on just over one week no internet access and Candlekeep is longer than I envisioned - I should blame it on the long, detailed answers to numerous questions. :)

Now for two of my own, unrelated but bought about by real-life:

1. What do people use for pain relief? Non-clerical specifically. I take it herbs and barks, but what exactly?

2. Economics. I did a bit of a search on the boards but found nothing conclusive. How important is the money market in the Realms? (Drawing upon the current RL situation) Has something similar happened in the Realms in the past?
I can remember the Iron Throne attempting to monopolise trade (I think) and it not really going anywhere.

3. (Ooo just thought of this one, sorry had to ask). Natural disasters. How often in different areas do floods, fires, wind storms, etc occur? Are they lessened/increased in frequency due to the effects of magic?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  12:35:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Asmrella is one of the most interesting NPCs I've seen in a while.

Feanrelle is interesting, too, but not as interesting as Asmrella.

I was actually the opposite. I found Feanerelle to be the more interesting. In fact, I could certainly see myself dropping her into my campaign at some point. I've got an idea for her frog-like voice that would really leave the PC's scratching their heads. Hehe...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  14:34:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And yet, I was drawn to Dorlarra.

Perhaps not as suited to a long-running NPC in one of my scampaigns, but a story-arc involving her was the first to jump to mind.

You know, the one where the PCs rescue someone... and then wish they hadn't.

Excellent as usual Ed. Your answers here at the keep always make me feel a little homesick, in a way.

And, of course, manage to maintain my interest in the Realms, despite everything.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Feb 2009 19:35:11
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  16:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
maransreth, I recall Ed saying at a long-ago GenCon seminar that he wanted to do herblore articles for DRAGON but these got firmly nixed, again and again.
The reasoning:
1. Real-world herbs would "inevitably" encourage experimentation and lawsuits or even state prosecutions in some anti-hippie-drug-mad US jurisdictions of the time (experiment with plants good if large pharmaceutical corp, home remedies by grandmothers very, very bad).
2. Using invented "fantasy" herbs, even with obviously fantastic instructions like "must have been stepped on by a dragon, in moonlight" would cause real-world experimenters to mistakenly or deliberately substitute real-world substances, then see #1, above.
I wouldn't be surprised if those prohibitions still apply. Sigh.
BB
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  16:23:10  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

maransreth, I recall Ed saying at a long-ago GenCon seminar that he wanted to do herblore articles for DRAGON but these got firmly nixed, again and again.
The reasoning:
1. Real-world herbs would "inevitably" encourage experimentation and lawsuits or even state prosecutions in some anti-hippie-drug-mad US jurisdictions of the time (experiment with plants good if large pharmaceutical corp, home remedies by grandmothers very, very bad).
2. Using invented "fantasy" herbs, even with obviously fantastic instructions like "must have been stepped on by a dragon, in moonlight" would cause real-world experimenters to mistakenly or deliberately substitute real-world substances, then see #1, above.
I wouldn't be surprised if those prohibitions still apply. Sigh.
BB

If you look at Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, though, it talks about how to create elixers, but I haven't heard of anyone attempting to find a real world alternative to some of the ingredients and trying to make something. I think whomever it is that put out this reasoning seems to think that D&D fans are crazy people who think they can cast spells and fight dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  17:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Wow, Ed (and Hooded One!) thanks for that great lore, I can't wait to see the rest.

I found it striking and even admirable that Asmrella was able to get out of her bad situation, even though she also happens to be wicked...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  22:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Wow, Ed (and Hooded One!) thanks for that great lore, I can't wait to see the rest.

I found it striking and even admirable that Asmrella was able to get out of her bad situation, even though she also happens to be wicked...

So did I. :) But then I read the rest and was like... oh wait...

But I do have to echo one of the above posters... Why didn't she just escape and return to Cormyr - surely that would have been proof enough for the War Wizards to go to town on the Haldoniers!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  23:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Firstly, it'd probably be nothing more then her word against her parents. I doubt she kept evidence of her own time in slavery. Further, it'd be rather humiliating for her, if it were known she was a slave.

Secondly, it's possible her parents wouldn't be killed. Or even if they were killed, they'd be put to death in a way where they didn't suffer. Neither seem like acceptable solutions for Asmrella.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that's my own personal reading of her.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000