Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  22:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
panics,
Tethyr is definitely a region Ed created, though Steven Schend detailed it extensively in a 2e Realms boxed set. Ed covered it in VOLO'S GUIDE TO BALDUR'S GATE II, also a 2e product; its contents cover many of your specific questions.
I'm not sure if this is one of the free download Realms products, because I've never gone looking to download anything. To paraphrase the lovely THO: Sage? Wooly? Kuje?

BB
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  22:31:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

panics,
Tethyr is definitely a region Ed created, though Steven Schend detailed it extensively in a 2e Realms boxed set. Ed covered it in VOLO'S GUIDE TO BALDUR'S GATE II, also a 2e product; its contents cover many of your specific questions.
I'm not sure if this is one of the free download Realms products, because I've never gone looking to download anything. To paraphrase the lovely THO: Sage? Wooly? Kuje?

BB

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  23:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

panics,

BB

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Lands of Intrigue gives you most of the details on these areas you asked about, Panics.

Short answer--all the things you asked about could be possible in the Wealdath (but are much more likely down in the Forest of Mir to the south--especially the drow). As for what the forest is like, it's less sequoias or redwoods and more like the forests of central Oregon (mostly conifers and random hardwood trees). And the Small Teeth probably more closely resemble the wooded mountains of Appalachia (in my mind, anyways) though a few peaks (like Mount Speartop) would be more akin to the rough and rugged Rockies.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

panics
Acolyte

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  00:41:14  Show Profile  Visit panics's Homepage Send panics a Private Message
Thank you for the fast reply !

Land of Intrigue is my Bible for many years since my campaign evolved in the country (brost).

But I've never seen a Volo's guide to Baldur's Gate II ?? Was it with the game ? (I have Volo's guide to Western Heartlands)

Thank you Steven for the image description... I'll be able to fetch image for my next adventure !!

Edited by - panics on 05 Feb 2009 00:41:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  00:46:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
No. Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II was sold as an accessory supplement like most Realms sourcebooks [see here]. You can find reasonably priced copies at nobleknight.com, or you can try Ebay for second-hand copies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Feb 2009 00:47:14
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  09:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind
I find it interesting he mentioned that Lady Taerenthe amongst her other dastardly plotting may even marry her own son to further her agenda yet as of yet no outrage posted for her thought process.

She's contemplating it, she hasn't acted on it yet. My personal opinion is that sending her son away is very risky for her plans as she can't be assured the son will turn out the way she wants him to. He has not yet been made a victim - except to be "orphaned". (In some ways, given the family, being "orphaned" might just be the best thing that happened to the poor kid.)

quote:
Is there any victimless beings in faerun period, someone who is not suffering some form of Stockholm Syndrome as previous poster stated or is the outrage again more because its male subjecting female?

*chuckles* Stockholm syndrome is not actually a medical term, and the jury is out on whether it actually exists or not. There was a paper written in 2008 (Stockholm syndrome: psychiatric disorder or urban myth? - in Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica) that studied 12 highly publicized cases of "Stockholm syndrome". Their conclusion is that the similarities between the cases were probably due to a lack of access to primary sources by the media or bias in the publications (ie: media bias and/or poor reporting). This hasn't disproved its existence, but it does highlight a need for more study as there hasn't been much prior to the paper.

So please, lets leave Stockholm syndrome out of it until there's been more studies!

As for the situation - even if the genders were reversed (mother with son), I'd still have taken exception to the words "forced" and "lovers" in the same sentence.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  10:25:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Stockholm Syndrome according any Swede living outside of Stockholm: A tendency to speak in a rather ugly dialect, acting like an arrogant prick while visiting somewhere out of one's normal habitat, referring to out-of-towners as the Swedish equivalent of "country-bumpkins" (even though everyone knows that Stockholm is actually populated by people whose grandparents were all reindeer-herding nomads or North-Swedish rednecks), still believing that using the English rather than the Swedish term for an activity makes one sound cool, and having really poor taste in what football club you support.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  15:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
By the way, I was aware that SS wasn't a medical term, but it's still a term, and seemed like the best way to describe what I was trying to get at. I still stand by what I said in my previous post.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Feb 2009 15:21:51
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  17:11:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Just a heads-up, for interested scribes: Wizards has put the ToC for DRAGON 372 up at the website, and Ed's detailed city (Tarmalune, in "Returned Abeir") will be in it. He once described the place to me as a "somewhat more lawless equivalent of Waterdeep: the big crossroads trading-port."
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:20:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
LOL - I had guessed Waterdeep, but it turns out my original guess - Retruned Abeir lore - was correct.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

No. Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II was sold as an accessory supplement like most Realms sourcebooks [see here]. You can find reasonably priced copies at nobleknight.com, or you can try Ebay for second-hand copies.

Ack!

I had always thought that that was the manual that came with the computer Game! I never realized it was an actual sourcebook!

D'oh!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Feb 2009 19:42:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:33:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

LOL - I had guessed Waterdeep, but it turns out my original guess - Retruned Abeir lore - was correct.

quote:

Ack!

I had always thought that that was the manual that came with the computer Game! I never realized it was an actual sourcebok!

D'oh!

Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate is part of the manual for Baldur's Gate. Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II is, as Sage points out, a totally separate beast.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  20:43:04  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Yeah, the sort of beast that's the same as, say, VOLO'S GUIDE TO THE SWORD COAST, only at half the length (of any of the earlier "geographical region" Volo's Guides).
Still very much worth having.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  20:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Enthusiastic endorsement of Blueblade's post.
If I'd been running TSR, back in the day, we would now all have access to a shelf of 20-some Volo's Guides, all penned by Ed. Talk about dream products...
Heck, I'd even have bought a book of Volo's recipes and restaurant reviews, if Ed had decided to do one.
Most of all, I wish we'd seen Volo "city guides" (just one major city to a book) covering Luskan, Neverwinter, Baldur's Gate, Iriaebor, Athkatla, Scornubel, Silverymoon, Suzail - - well, you get the picture.
If TSR had wanted to keep to its original "don't detail Sembia" policy, but given us Volo city guides to, say, Selgaunt and Urmlaspyr, leaving Saerloon, Yhaunn, and Ordulin for the DM, the result would have been nigh-perfect. Here's Cormyr completely detailed (hmm, something ELSE we never really got!), here're the two Sembian cities closest to Cormyr, and you're on your own for the rest.
Ah, the might-have-beens...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  21:00:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Longtime Lurker

If I'd been running TSR, back in the day, we would now all have access to a shelf of 20-some Volo's Guides, all penned by Ed. Talk about dream products...

Why only 20-some?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  21:48:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I come bearing some replies from Ed, this time in response to the first few of divers House Haldoneir questions from interested scribes. Herewith:

Blueblade: “Ed, I sat in on a game you ran (set in the Realms, of course) as an observer, at a GenCon in Milwaukee not long before the con relocated to Indy - - and the setting was the forests belonging to a certain Boarhunt Towers!!!
The same place, right? Does this mean the Haldoneirs bought it after the murder of its Sembian owner, that took place in your adventure? Or - - -?
It's GREAT when you see the vast tapestry of the Realms being woven together, right in front of your eyes.
Thanks!”

Ed replies: You’re very welcome. And yes, this is the same Boarhunt Towers, and as THO posted, the Haldoneirs seized the place after Asmrathan Lharleld's murder, in lieu of his repaying some large loans they’d made to him (because his coin was seized by relatives and minor creditors in Selgaunt, despite the greater Haldoneir claim).

Wooly Rupert: “So do they use the word "mistress" then? Or is there a Realms version of the word, perhaps "brightlass"?”

Ed replies: As THO posted, “brightlass” COULD be used, but probably wouldn’t be, thanks to that more prevalent “good time girl” meaning it has acquired. The “ultra-polite” term is “confidant,” which of course has a long-established no-sex-at-all meaning, so the word is usually spoken with a wink to denote the second meaning.
The more often employed term is “my lady of the hearth” (meaning: someone I can relax and be cozy with, spending the night, with the unspoken addendums of “and have sex with” and “I pay to keep her in this haven I see her in”). Note that a “lady of the hearth” can be shared by three patrons or less (more makes her a prostitute, and I’ve already related some of the great array of Realms terms for that profession), but always implies someone installed in living quarters, and fed and clothed well, by those patrons.
There’s an old Cormyrean word, “saerla,” that means “unmarried wife,” but this means not just a mistress but “someone I’ve fathered children with,” who remains a friend (if a man says, “She used to be my saerla” it means we’re no longer on friendly terms, NOT “I’m now married or she’s now married so she can’t be called a saerla anymore”).
A new term, gaining popularity in Suzail, is “nightskirts,” which used to mean “sophisticated prostitute I can pass off as a lady of high breeding,” but is now starting to mean something like “bedmate I treat as a lady of breeding, paying for her bed and the walls around it - - because she’s worth it.”

The Sage: “Any chance you can provide some further info on the holdings of House Haldoneir?”

Ed replies: Certainly. Read on . . .

Wyrmdown: I’ve given you its location, but it’s reached from a long dirt road that winds between the Immer Trail and Calantar’s Way not far south of Blisterfoot Inn. This road is known as Elclantar’s Ride, and Wyrmdown greets it with a small, square tower about sixty feet tall with a “swept-spired” roof, on the north of which the twenty-foot-high stone wall of the estate is pierced by an oval arch and stout front gates. Beyond them, a curving dirt lane sweeps through gardens, curling “back upon itself” several times around stands of trees, to reach a hidden-from-the-road oval courtyard onto which front a sprawling stone mansion expanded many times by various owners from a small, square, squat and defensible stone keep; a large stable block; three large barns; and a guest house. From this center, lanes run out like the anchor-strands of a spiderweb across about two hundred acres of rolling farmland, ranch meadows, and woodlots, crossed by at least three small and nameless streams. There are several clusters of cottages and smaller barns at various spots across Wyrmdown, and it’s quite easy to “put up” a lot of folk in the estate without any crowding or the neighbours seeing much evidence of their presence.

Ormvraezel Keep: Picture a stone mansion with small, round, seventy-foot-tall crenelated towers at either end of it and a steep, wood-stakes-filled dry moat around it, and you can picture Ormvraezel Keep. Across one arc of the moat lie a stables, a barn, and a carriage shed, with fields planted with vegetables beyond them in a large pie-shaped wedge stretching for about half a mile into the woods. Across the facing arc of the moat is a grand entry bridge to the Keep, and a winding dirt approach road wide enough for two large coaches to easily pass each other, that runs out to large wooden gates (no guardhouse, but the gates have tree-trunk latch-bars hung with many bells, and linked to other bells hung in trees, so opening the gate WILL make noise; the gates are flanked with deliberately-planted thornbush tangles that stretch for a bowshot or more on either side) onto Olandur’s Way, a dirt lane winding through upland northwestern Sembia. Off that lane run several side-lanes, each leading to its own triple-rings-of-fence enclosed clearing in the forest. One is a camping-place for visitors, one a paddock for horses, another has sheds and is for several hundred goats, and another has sheds and is for about forty sheep; the uses are rotated as the years pass. Around all of this is a wild “hunting forest” of about eighty acres that has no fences (only trails that serve as boundaries between it and adjacent hunting forests belonging to others) but does have a LOT of trees, several ponds, and at least one spring.

Boarhunt Towers: Picture the same set-up (and size of grounds) as Ormvraezel Keep, except that there’s no farmland, no fenced clearings, no moat, and no stone mansion with towers - - instead, a rambling wooden hunting lodge with stout shutters, a moss-covered wooden shingle roof, and huge stone chimneys (at least six of them) rising here and there amid the many-winged structure. About thirty guests can be accommodated with ease (there are sixteen bedchambers and an extensive kitchen with cellars beneath it), and there’s a stables on one side of the lodge, and a pavilion (roof on pillars, without walls) on the other for slaughtering and hanging “kills” taken in hunting, with a small smokehouse beside it.

High Oronel: Directly south across the water from Truesilver Castle in Suzail is a smallish “building block” of two connected buildings. That’s High Oronel, a stone mansion dominated by huge, high arched windows and a central hall that sports many of them, that enjoys splendid views. It stands in manicured grass lawns and gardens, and its eastern balconies overlook the great spread of the Royal Gardens. Six floors tall in some places but five or even four in others, it consists of series of “great rooms,” with very few of the odd corners and poky servants’ chambers found in most Suzailan mansions. It’s too small for a large family, but is perfect for entertaining “select” parties of guests. Many wealthy and rising merchants of the city would give their left arms (and a lot of their wealth) to own it.

Townhomes: of the tall, narrow, touching-neighboring-abodes sort, these structures are all near the Horngate, tend to be four storeys tall (with a rear “two-stall-stables” on the ground floor itself), and are used by the family as havens (that is, places they can go to for trysts, or to hide from society or Court officials, or each other). Ownership of these havens isn’t advertised, and isn’t widely known (and being as many of the neighbours are other noble families doing the same thing, and by tacit understanding turning their backs on whatever they may see next door or of comings and goings, “nosy neighbours” are not a problem). They are well-built and comfortable, with perhaps one luxuriously-furnished room (for meetings) and one nice bedchamber (for impressing bed-guests) each, but are more “everyday” than grand.

Favor Residences: this is the polite term for city lodgings maintained by a wealthy patron for mistresses and brightlads. They are essentially the same as the family townhomes, though they vary in size and grandeur by their location and origin, and the Haldoneirs keep fourteen such places, two of them currently empty (that is, rented out on a “short-stay” basis, usually a tenday at a time, to wealthy visitors to the city, such as factors and successful merchants from Sembia) and a dozen housing partners of various family members. It should be noted that nobles who own such residences tend to keep hiding places for certain items, and “side wardrobes” for themselves, in locked or even “secret” areas of the homes, with the rest being furnished more or less as the occupant (the mistress or brightlad) desires.
The House Haldoneir favor residences are distanced from the family townhomes, and so tend to be scattered throughout the eastern half of Suzail, south of the Promenade. Of these, two are “fairly rough” (as are their occupants), and are near the harbor.

Marsember holdings: just west of the gate connecting the naval base to the rest of the city, House Haldoneir owns two large, five-storey townhomes (near each other but not adjacent), though it doesn’t advertise this fact, and uses hired local citizens as “doorlords” (the local term for landlords) who won’t readily admit the identity of the owner they work for.
Both of these buildings are fairly luxurious (by the damp, cramped standards of Marsember) are divided into rental suites of two or three linked rooms. All of these suites are permanently rented out, under various long-term agreements, to wealthy local citizens - - except for one suite in each building (mid-floor, on the rear, “away from the street” side), kept for family use.
Both of these tall, ornamented stone buildings have their own attached stables, and so are thought of in the city as very desirable addresses.

So saith Ed. Who will return with more House Haldoneir replies ere he details House Sorndrake, and then moves on to replies to some followup Thunderstone-and-vicinity queries.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Feb 2009 21:48:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  22:29:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
As always, my thanks for the lore!

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  23:04:47  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message
I have a small question for Ed:

Given the advent of playable Dhampyr in 4e, do these exist in Faerun?, and if so, how does Kelemvor and the Clergy of Kelemvor view them?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  23:15:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Ack!

I had always thought that that was the manual that came with the computer Game! I never realized it was an actual sourcebook!

D'oh!
I'm actually surprised by how many people still believe this... even after all the years I've mentioned this book both here and at WotC. But, anyways, 'tis a great sourcebook and offers plenty of insight into the regions covered. In fact, I count it among my top favorites of the various Volo's Guides.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  23:18:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

The Sage: “Any chance you can provide some further info on the holdings of House Haldoneir?”

Woot! My thanks Ed, and to you as well my lovely Lady Hooded One.

I'm sure to have a lot of fun with this material in my campaign. Oh, and I've got one more question on the Haldoneirs... but that'll have to wait until I've set down the actual side-quest for my campaign.

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  00:30:05  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Woot! My thanks Ed, and to you as well my lovely Lady Hooded One.

I'm sure to have a lot of fun with this material in my campaign. Oh, and I've got one more question on the Haldoneirs... but that'll have to wait until I've set down the actual side-quest for my campaign.

The Sage said "woot" again! What is the world coming to?

Edited by - ranger_of_the_unicorn_run on 06 Feb 2009 00:30:53
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  01:48:07  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hi again Ed and LHO,

I have a non-FR question, pertaining to Ed's Band of Four novels. Ed, are you working on or planning any future novels set in Darsar beyond Silent House? I thoroughly enjoyed the dynastic framework of the stories in that book and I loved how the stag-headed humanoids looked like they were being set up as future antagonists.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  02:13:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, scribes. This time, one of those lighting-fast Ed replies, this time to Aysen (see above):

Idly planning, yes. I'm not sure more Darsar novels will ever see the light of day, however. I loved doing them, but they suffered the classic "drop-off in chain orders, so drop-off in sales" pattern of too many fantasy series, with darned good sales for THE KINGLESS LAND but fewer and fewer for each title thereafter; hence the new Tor series (the Niflheim books). So it's not looking likely . . . just now.
However, I've been at this game far too long to say "never" (ahem: Never Say Never Again), and yes, I was setting up those stag-headed folks for "something" in the future. There's a preque-to-KINGLESS short story of Hawkril and Craer, published only as a chapbook in 2002, entitled "Where Only Madmen Hide."
I'll try to think of a way of getting it into mass market form, probably with a book-full of newly-written Aglirta stories, somewhere and somewhen.
Thanks for asking!

So saith Ed. Who, just to make this Realms-relevant, is busy on new Realmslore as I post this (what new lore? Ah, no, that would be TELLING!)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  02:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
However, I've been at this game far too long to say "never" (ahem: Never Say Never Again), and yes, I was setting up those stag-headed folks for "something" in the future. There's a preque-to-KINGLESS short story of Hawkril and Craer, published only as a chapbook in 2002, entitled "Where Only Madmen Hide."

Hm.... I'm remembering a certain stag-headed figure(s) in the Volo's Guide to Cormyr (or was it the North?), so there's a potential of using some of those ideas in the Realms with your usual deft touch, sir.

At least I'd like to see them in more than one place, if only to never let a good idea lie fallow....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  03:04:26  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Woot!

Seriously, dude. Stop hijacking Sage.

THO, what are some of the big difference between Mr. Greendwood's Border Kingdoms and the Kingdoms as they are outlined in the source books and the WotC articles? Anything big?

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  05:14:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

quote:
Woot!

Seriously, dude. Stop hijacking Sage.

THO, what are some of the big difference between Mr. Greendwood's Border Kingdoms and the Kingdoms as they are outlined in the source books and the WotC articles? Anything big?

While Ed will likely have something significant to add to this, I will note that when he and I had discussed the Border Kingdoms in the past, Ed had noted some differences between what was included in the original POLYHEDRON write-ups for the Kingdoms and what was published in sources like Power of Faerűn for example. That's largely why the articles were being published online at Wizards... to include some further lore from Ed that wasn't previously included when the Border Kingdoms had received earlier detailed treatment.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  05:20:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Now I can't help but imagine some 'Youngblades' out on the town in Waterdeep, and one turns to the other and says "I need to get me some Hearth tonight".

Great Lore Ed (as usual)

As for that Baldur's Gate Guide - the name is misleasding, since there isn't any 'Baldur's gate II' in the setting. You automatically think its for the computer game - what a bad way to market something (and I can't believe I mssed one!)

And I remember that 'Stag-headed' chap myself... something to do wth a festhall, IIRC...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  07:25:57  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
If we are onto Realmsian terms...
I am interested to know what Realms terms exist for 'transgendered' people - which I mean in this case: a person of one gender, who consistently dresses, behaves and even looks like the opposite gender (and is viewed as such by others).
A term that is used by those who know (and that is not an insult, though such terms may be of interest as well).
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  10:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

If we are onto Realmsian terms...
I am interested to know what Realms terms exist for 'transgendered' people - which I mean in this case: a person of one gender, who consistently dresses, behaves and even looks like the opposite gender (and is viewed as such by others).
A term that is used by those who know (and that is not an insult, though such terms may be of interest as well).

I'd be interested in the answer to this as well.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  15:26:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I think in RW, the term 'dandy' was used for effiminant men, but I don't think thats what you mean, and it certainly isn't Realmsian.

American Indians had a term for it - "Two-Spirit" is a close approximation, and they were considered 'blessed'.

Sorry... just some RW trivia to pass the time...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  16:57:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Can Ed share anything about Prince Foril's 1334 assassination? I fear an NDA, but was wondering who and why?(besides being heir to Cormyr)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000