Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29905 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2009 :  22:38:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

I'm not in the least creeped out by the fact that I also re-read NIGHT WATCH this week... no, not at all...
On topic: Re-reading Cloak and Dagger last night, I noted that in the Moonstars' entry, it is rumored that Khelben and Laeral have been using ritual magic to grant various abilities to certain agents. This got me to wondering what sort of 'powers' Ed would have the Blackstaff bestow on PC's? Not 'mission-specific' enchantments, which (I suppose) would be the most common sort of thing, but general 'you're valuable, well-placed and trusted operatives, and I want to both reward you and make you more efficient' type stuff. Also, am I right to think that it's unlikely that Khelben would give anyone these sorts of abilities without having either 1) a way to 'turn off' or nullify the power or 2) a 'backdoor' of some sort- maybe the ritual empowers the character, but it also places a mark on them through which Khelben can always find (and strike at) the bearer. Or am I misreading Khelben? From my perspective, I think Khel only trusts for a given value of 'trust', even in his nearest and dearest(given that he's seen even Laeral subverted).
Thanks in advance: I'm using the Moonstars in my current campaign- though whether the PC's ever find that out, and what they think of how they've been manipulated if ever they do is another matter...




Steven Schend is very much the go-to guy on both Khelben and the Moonstars; you might pose these questions to them, when he ends his internet exile next month.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2009 :  22:58:09  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
Just popping by to wish Ed a happy Thanksgiving today.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  00:28:49  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Steven Schend is very much the go-to guy on both Khelben and the Moonstars; you might pose these questions to them, when he ends his internet exile next month.
I'd also search through Steven's own replies, here at Candlekeep, as he's pretty much discussed a variety of aspects of the Moonstars over the years.

And as for Steven's return, recall, as I mentioned elsewhere, that his projected return date was based on the progress of his current schedule. Thus, it could last longer than a month.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  04:47:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sandro's MSN Messenger address Send Sandro a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

Just popping by to wish Ed a happy Thanksgiving today.

Aye, I'll second that (and, while slightly late, it is still Thanksgiving in Ontario), from one Canadian to another (this one on the other side of the world, though).

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  20:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi. deusex2, the Lady THO sent you a long reply about Anchorome in the thread you started on it, already...
BB
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  22:09:03  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage  Send VonRaventheDaring a Yahoo! Message Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message
I had a quick question for Ed, which as usual probably means it will drag on forever......

I have to say thanks first to him for posing for a picture with me and my friend at the Pazio booth when we kinda discovered him there. Listening to him speak about porn, and stuff with the designers there was hilarious and well made the trip for me to be honest.

Anyway my question is can Ed, tell us what he designed in the new pathfinder world setting, and if any of the characters he did for that setting was inspired by things he had wanted to include in the realms but just hadn't or hadn't been allowed to by the Red Wizards of the coast (yes i gave them an appropriately evil sounding nickname).

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  01:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hi everybody. I've been reading the persistent interview with Ed over at loremaster (thanks to the Brothers James!), and he's just revealed some interesting lore about old Illefarn that's really worth checking out!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  01:50:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Just received this from Ed:


Thanks for all the nice Thanksgiving wishes. I had to work at the library and so miss a big family get-together, but another arm of the family descended on me for the rest of the weekend and we did all the autumn things (gigantic turkey, picking apples at the local "Appleyard," getting winter tires put on family chariots, walking in the leaves . . .). I am now RECOVERING from all of this. ;}
To VonRaventheDaring, you're very welcome. I have lots of fun teasing my gaming friends, because, hey, I only see most of them once a year and I'm delighted to see them! We're all just "somewhat normal" gamers underneath, no matter how famous or infamous we become, you know . . .
As for Golarion: the only design work I should really talk about yet is the elves: I "developed" them from a few paragraphs to a lot more than would fit into the needed wordcount. Of course. :}
I have done a lot more design for Golarion that the wider world hasn't seen yet, so I'll keep mum about it until the right time. Yet no, not a word of it is doing something I couldn't do in the Realms. I approach each world as a completely different playground, and this one isn't mine to even start to try to control, so like a good guest I play with the toys I'm given and ask "how far" I can go with them, and obey the boundaries. None of it is a reaction to Wizards or the published Realms. Really.


So saith Ed. Who is telling the truth at the end, there. Ed really does believe what the Beatles sang about "life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting" He avoids fights and feuds, as much as he can - - and this is NOT a weakness or a character flaw, believe me. (Believe me; much of MY daily work consists of dealing with unsavoury people who enjoy fighting and feuding . . . and sometimes go armed and make use of that artillery and sharp edges!)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  01:56:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Deusex2, Anchorome was never a "joke dungeon," nor intended to be. It is the center of a web of myths and sailors' tall tales to mainland Faerunians, yes.
Some other designers than Ed created a continent north of Maztica and called it Anchorome, but that could well have been a "mainlander Faerunian" mistake or even deliberate misinformation put forward by elves of Evermeet or merchant shipcaptains of Baldur's Gate or others, to paint a false picture of "what was over the waves" for those back in Faerun.
When it comes to the Realms, I'd trust Ed over all other sources. It is, after all, his creation, predating the Dungeons and Dragons game and all of its publishers, competitors, editions, and incarnations.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  11:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
One more question for ED:

I've been doing some research on the term Toril vs Abeir-Toril and have noticed different explanations for these two names.

One of the sources simply says it is the same thing and the prefix Abeir was added at a later date just to make it appear on top of the Realms encyclopedia.
Other sources state Toril and Abeir-Toril are different things and it talks about Primordials...

Can you please clarify what is the truth behind the FR planet's name?


Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  11:40:40  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
(Believe me; much of MY daily work consists of dealing with unsavoury people who enjoy fighting and feuding . . . and sometimes go armed and make use of that artillery and sharp edges!)
love to all,
THO



Ahha! You're a sexy spy lady aren't you?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29905 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  14:32:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marek

One more question for ED:

I've been doing some research on the term Toril vs Abeir-Toril and have noticed different explanations for these two names.

One of the sources simply says it is the same thing and the prefix Abeir was added at a later date just to make it appear on top of the Realms encyclopedia.
Other sources state Toril and Abeir-Toril are different things and it talks about Primordials...

Can you please clarify what is the truth behind the FR planet's name?


Thanks!



Ed didn't originally have a name for the world. Jeff Grubb named it Toril, and then added Abeir to shift it to the front of the alphabetical entries. Though the world was named Abeir-Toril, most references to the world's name dropped Abeir and just called it Toril.

When WotC decided to inflict 4E on us, they decided -- despite a total lack of any prior lore backing it up -- that Abeir was some sort of parallel world, where Primordials called the shots instead of deities. It was a retcon -- "retroactive continuity".

So both of your sources are technically correct.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  15:16:29  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Marek

One more question for ED:

I've been doing some research on the term Toril vs Abeir-Toril and have noticed different explanations for these two names.

One of the sources simply says it is the same thing and the prefix Abeir was added at a later date just to make it appear on top of the Realms encyclopedia.
Other sources state Toril and Abeir-Toril are different things and it talks about Primordials...

Can you please clarify what is the truth behind the FR planet's name?


Thanks!



Ed didn't originally have a name for the world. Jeff Grubb named it Toril, and then added Abeir to shift it to the front of the alphabetical entries. Though the world was named Abeir-Toril, most references to the world's name dropped Abeir and just called it Toril.

When WotC decided to inflict 4E on us, they decided -- despite a total lack of any prior lore backing it up -- that Abeir was some sort of parallel world, where Primordials called the shots instead of deities. It was a retcon -- "retroactive continuity".

So both of your sources are technically correct.

There's actually log and detailed discussions about this, both among Ed's previous replies, and in other discussion scrolls here at Candlekeep. Marek, you should probably seek them out using the SEARCH function, if you're interested in researching this question further.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  15:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Marek

One more question for ED:

I've been doing some research on the term Toril vs Abeir-Toril and have noticed different explanations for these two names.

One of the sources simply says it is the same thing and the prefix Abeir was added at a later date just to make it appear on top of the Realms encyclopedia.
Other sources state Toril and Abeir-Toril are different things and it talks about Primordials...

Can you please clarify what is the truth behind the FR planet's name?


Thanks!



Ed didn't originally have a name for the world. Jeff Grubb named it Toril, and then added Abeir to shift it to the front of the alphabetical entries. Though the world was named Abeir-Toril, most references to the world's name dropped Abeir and just called it Toril.

When WotC decided to inflict 4E on us, they decided -- despite a total lack of any prior lore backing it up -- that Abeir was some sort of parallel world, where Primordials called the shots instead of deities. It was a retcon -- "retroactive continuity".

So both of your sources are technically correct.



Thanks a lot Wooly, I thought I was right to ignore the second option(being that crappy 4E) and you confirmed it to me:D

Thanks The Sage, I just feel a bit too lost when I use the search function...felt like drowning!

Edited by - Marek on 14 Oct 2009 15:47:45
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  19:10:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Now, arry, that would be TELLING.
I'm actually a bit more "counter" than proactive, if you catch my drift.
And men who can catch my drift are purrrrrfectly exciting, BTW.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

deusex2
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  19:28:49  Show Profile  Visit deusex2's Homepage Send deusex2 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Deusex2, Anchorome was never a "joke dungeon," nor intended to be. It is the center of a web of myths and sailors' tall tales to mainland Faerunians, yes.
Some other designers than Ed created a continent north of Maztica and called it Anchorome, but that could well have been a "mainlander Faerunian" mistake or even deliberate misinformation put forward by elves of Evermeet or merchant shipcaptains of Baldur's Gate or others, to paint a false picture of "what was over the waves" for those back in Faerun.
When it comes to the Realms, I'd trust Ed over all other sources. It is, after all, his creation, predating the Dungeons and Dragons game and all of its publishers, competitors, editions, and incarnations.
love,
THO



Now I see. Thank you very much for clarifying this matter.

This, however brings me to another question, rather to anybody, but Ed Greenwood. Was there any information published about lands north of Maztica and if there was any, which books should I be looking for?
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  23:15:33  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by deusex2
This, however brings me to another question, rather to anybody, but Ed Greenwood. Was there any information published about lands north of Maztica and if there was any, which books should I be looking for?



Quick reply - there is a short reference to the coastlands north of core Maztica in FR15 - Gold and Glory; there is some detail about the lands immediately north of core Maztica in FMQ1-City of Gold, bot of which can still be downloaded for free from this Previous Editions Download Page on the Wizards website. As far as I know, nothing else has been published on the area, which is pretty much outside the core of a part of the setting that was already far outside the core to begin with.

If you are looking for something non-Realms specific that could be put in place, David Howery wrote an article called "The People: Add fantasy Americans to your campaign" in Dragon Magazine 205. Although not Realms-specific, David made allowances for adding his "fantasy Nort America" to MAztica, and drafted his map in such a way that it could line up easily with the official maps of Maztica as they existed at the time.

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

deusex2
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  00:03:11  Show Profile  Visit deusex2's Homepage Send deusex2 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by deusex2
This, however brings me to another question, rather to anybody, but Ed Greenwood. Was there any information published about lands north of Maztica and if there was any, which books should I be looking for?



Quick reply - there is a short reference to the coastlands north of core Maztica in FR15 - Gold and Glory; there is some detail about the lands immediately north of core Maztica in FMQ1-City of Gold, bot of which can still be downloaded for free from this Previous Editions Download Page on the Wizards website. As far as I know, nothing else has been published on the area, which is pretty much outside the core of a part of the setting that was already far outside the core to begin with.

If you are looking for something non-Realms specific that could be put in place, David Howery wrote an article called "The People: Add fantasy Americans to your campaign" in Dragon Magazine 205. Although not Realms-specific, David made allowances for adding his "fantasy Nort America" to MAztica, and drafted his map in such a way that it could line up easily with the official maps of Maztica as they existed at the time.



I see, thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Seeker

29 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  01:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

Is Duke Eltan's success as leader of the Flaming Fist equal parts based on his physical prowess as a warrior and administrative and tactical abilities? Did he become a ruling Duke of Baldur's Gate independently of his success with the Flaming Fist or did one drive the other? As he and Piergeiron are both warriors cast into administrators of vibrant cities, how would you compare and contrast their leadership styles and how they are viewed by the citizens of their respective cities? How is Duke Eltan viewed by other rulers in the Lord's Alliance? Does he ever use the Flaming Fist in a non-for profit scenario, i.e aiding another city in the Lord's Alliance?

Thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  08:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,

Running through my notes on notable NPCs in Neverwinter, I came accross this little throwaway comment concerning Alasturan Malatheer:
“Elminster refuses to do more than smilingly muse about what a formidable foe a song dragon wizard who retained his magecraft in gold dragon form would be—and then adds enigmatically that Mystra would almost have to take a personal interest in such an individual.”
Is/was he a Chosen of Mystra, or have I just run into an NDA wall at high speed?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  11:39:22  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Now, arry, that would be TELLING.
I'm actually a bit more "counter" than proactive, if you catch my drift.
And men who can catch my drift are purrrrrfectly exciting, BTW.
love,
THO



You're a sexy spycatcher lady?

Hey, look at me; I'm a spy, catch me
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  12:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene
Running through my notes on notable NPCs in Neverwinter, I came accross this little throwaway comment concerning Alasturan Malatheer:
“Elminster refuses to do more than smilingly muse about what a formidable foe a song dragon wizard who retained his magecraft in gold dragon form would be—and then adds enigmatically that Mystra would almost have to take a personal interest in such an individual.”
Is/was he a Chosen of Mystra, or have I just run into an NDA wall at high speed?



Hmm... I was under the impression that all song dragons appeared female... Obviously I was mistaken!
I might have to go look it up... *rummages around through her books, then comes back to the keyboard* It seems I wasn't mistaken... Quoting Monsters of Faerun: Song Dragons are a rare and mysterious race of dragons that prefer life among humanity to the company of other dragons. They can freely take on the form of a human woman, and in this guise they live among humankind, revealing their true nature only in times of personal peril or great crisis. (Bolding mine for emphasis!)

Furthermore, it goes on to describe the song dragon's draconic appearance (iridescent silver-blue scales!), which really doesn't bear any resemblance to any other type of dragon.

Therefore, I must conclude that Alasturan Malatheer, is most likely a Gold Dragon... Or else MoF is completely wrong.

Curiosity prompts me to ask (if MoF is right) - are song dragons actually all female? And if so, how do they reproduce? I'd assume with humans, and that some children grow into dragons as they age, some might be half dragons, and others might just be human.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  20:59:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Bahgtru recently asked: "Dear Ed and THO, Is Duke Eltan's success as leader of the Flaming Fist equal parts based on his physical prowess as a warrior and administrative and tactical abilities? Did he become a ruling Duke of Baldur's Gate independently of his success with the Flaming Fist or did one drive the other? As he and Piergeiron are both warriors cast into administrators of vibrant cities, how would you compare and contrast their leadership styles and how they are viewed by the citizens of their respective cities? How is Duke Eltan viewed by other rulers in the Lord's Alliance? Does he ever use the Flaming Fist in a non-for profit scenario, i.e aiding another city in the Lord's Alliance? Thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!"
You're welcome, Bahgtru, and thanks for the festive good wishes. Drawing on Ed's notes, I can tell you that Duke Eltan's success is rooted in the fact that he's both a capable, VERY-quick-witted battlefield leader and a shrewd, far-sighted scholar of human nature and successful political manipulation. His success with the Flaming Fist, and his ability to use them to keep order in the city at critical times, definitely drove his rise to rulership. Eltan is viewed as far colder and more ruthless (and less tolerant of dissent) than Piergeiron, but they are both respected as fair, smart rulers and capable warriors, personally free from corruption and disliking it in others. The Flaming Fist has been used in not-for-profit ways in the past, yes; I'll leave longer and more detailed replies to Ed.
love, THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Oct 2009 21:05:04
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  21:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Are there any "social magazines" printed and distributed among the nobles of Cormyr or Waterdeep? If so, names and prices per issue and how often published, please? And if so, can courtiers and wannabe nobles subscribe, or are they "exclusive"? How intelligible would they be to a non-noble, or are they all written in jargon and "we all know Fancypancy's predelictions" "in" gossip?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  21:11:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! BA, such magazines do indeed exist; off your queries go to Ed for his replies.
arry, I'll catch up with you later.
Kyrene, you sure did. And the wall hasn't budged an inch.
And Zandilar, you've spotted a WotC shift in how they viewed song dragons (the former "weredragons" of Ed-lore): initially (MoF) female-only, later seen as both genders with males VERY rare, for the very "how does the species reproduce, then?" reasons you bring up. Ed explained this discrepancy away by saying they all have the ability to take human female form, and are cross-fertile with humans when operating as females, but some of them use spells to APPEAR as human males for certain times, either out of preference or for business or personal mission reasons. So the male human is actually a magically-disguised human female who is really a song dragon in its only "natural" human form.
Myself, I share Ed's preference: that they'd stuck with weredragons all along, by all means revamping them for 3e if they wanted to do so, but thinking through such basics as species reproduction before writing up "official" rules. Sigh.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000