Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  03:30:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello,

Ed I assume you helped with much of the lore and characters mentioned in "Blackstaff" novel. Can you elaborate on any of the mages, chars mentioned in that novel like Gamalon, Turlun and more importantly a WHAT IF query. Say in home campaign some of these mages met their end, who would have been YOUR replacements for them and can you elaborate on the replacements? Basically who was Kehlben's or better yet Mystra's second unit if something happened to first unit?

Gamalon Idogyr was Steven Schend's creation -- he was, I believe, Steven's first D&D character.
And he first appeared, officially, in DRAGON #159, in an article of SPELLJAMMER-based goodness.
quote:
Tulrun was written up long-ago in a two-part Polyhedron article. I happen to have both issues, but there appears to be some dropped text in the article, and I've not been able to find anything on that dropped text.
Issues #125 and 126. I once found an archived site that contained the missing text but, unfortunately, that site is no longer active and I didn't save the info at the time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  03:33:42  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  05:07:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Issues #125 and 126. I once found an archived site that contained the missing text but, unfortunately, that site is no longer active and I didn't save the info at the time.

I say thee: aaarrgghh!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  06:08:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I say thee: aaarrgghh!

I know. I wished I'd made more of an effort back then, but I hadn't really thought about saving the info at the time. Which is funny, because I did consider, at least, copying the information for storage here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  06:45:04  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:

Damn... I s'pose you also tried the Wayback Machine?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  07:03:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

Damn... I s'pose you also tried the Wayback Machine?

Indeed, I did. And I spent several days searching through the terabytes of FR stuff I've saved from the web over the last ten years -- just in case I did save it and didn't remember. But, ultimately, no luck.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  18:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
Well met, Ed, The Hooded One, and all.

Ed, I have PC who would like to play a bard from Waterdeep in our 4E FR campaign. Could you tell me the fate of the bards college of Waterdeep? In past centuries it was, if I understand correctly, Ollamh.

There has been some discussion of the Bard's colleges in the pre-Spellplague Realms here:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3837

Any information that would help my PC flesh out her character would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  19:11:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I'm away from home and Realmslore notes at the moment, but I clearly recall Tulrun as being part of Ed's original (pre-TSR) Realms. Tulrun's Tent is on his original pencil maps, that I snuck peeks at, way back in the early 1980s...
And I know he has unpublished, never sent in, Tulrun lore, too.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Dec 2009 04:10:01
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  21:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Are skates (worn strapped to the feet, and used by individuals for locomotion across ice) known and used in the Realms? If so, what do they look like/who makes them/how much do they cost?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  14:09:29  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

By Tymora, I think she might make a come back.

I fear not.
The realization that she won't come back was the inspiration to the title (and ultra-vague blurb) of DALE2-1 Forever.

Gomez,
who may be wrong, but fears he isn't
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  17:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Are pirates as plentiful and powerful/troublesome to the Sword Coast shipping trade in the time setting of the 4e Realms as they were at the time of the 3e Realms?
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  17:36:43  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello Hooded,

With Spellplague going on at the moment, does it bring into questions some similarities with FR and the former Dark Sun? Reason I am asking is in Dark Sun, there are no Gods, magic exists but it has a severe toll on the land itself, and psionics works normally from the individual. I am wondering if the further progression of years after the Spellplague, and more and more things start to unravel and degrade, if we you see a slippery slop towards an evolution of FR towards Dark Sun?

Edited by - Bruce Donohue on 17 Dec 2009 17:40:17
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  17:38:04  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Does the published Realms specify that Azuth has perished? Or is he just "gone from the Realms"? (Which is what the material I have suggests.)
Thank you in advance for whatever you can reveal.
(Other scribes, if you've read something official that says more, please chime in.)
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  17:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Ed and THO,
Have you done anything with Melvaunt or Thentia in the 4e Realms? Has anyone else, do you know?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  17:41:43  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Is there a revised release date for FAMILY GAMES: THE 100 BEST yet? You did a game writeup in it, yes?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  17:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
So, Ed, if Elminster had a Christmas wish (for a gift for him) this year, what would it be?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  17:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh.
Mystra alive and lounging under his Christmas tree waiting for him, wearing nothing but a smile.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  17:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Hmmm. Knowing Elminster, I'd say Blueblade is right.
Though perhaps she might be wearing a row of waiting unwrapped chocolates . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  17:47:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Why, Starry Sage, you've been peeking!
Ahem. As it happens, * I * have been known to do that.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  18:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Umm...Lady Hooded? (waves)
Ahem.
You missed MY tree.

BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  02:18:30  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have a circa-1370 DR Realmslore question: how closely does Mirt the Moneylender know the heads of the various guilds in the city? I'm sure they all know OF each other, and have met at various social functions, but is he "good friends" with any of them? Business colleagues? Old rivals? Any feuds/hatreds?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  07:26:20  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by A Gavel

Dear Ed and THO,
Does the published Realms specify that Azuth has perished? Or is he just "gone from the Realms"? (Which is what the material I have suggests.)
Thank you in advance for whatever you can reveal.
(Other scribes, if you've read something official that says more, please chime in.)

Well, I'm not quite Ed (still working on the beard), but the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide does say this about Azuth's fate:

quote:
The destruction of Dweomerheart sent the dying Azuth (a patron deity of mages) into Asmodeus’s fiery domain. The archdevil killed him and consumed his divine essence.

Of course, there's nothing there saying he didn't have some contingency in place, or that he was just too cool to be killed that way, if you need him around for your campaign, but, canonically, he's dead.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 18 Dec 2009 07:27:39
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  09:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

Well, I'm not quite Ed (still working on the beard), but the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide does say this about Azuth's fate:

quote:
The destruction of Dweomerheart sent the dying Azuth (a patron deity of mages) into Asmodeus’s fiery domain. The archdevil killed him and consumed his divine essence.

Yup, makes sense to me. He got blown from Mechanus to the lowest layer of Baator, while all the faithful in Dweomerheart merely got blown/insta-ported to the Fugue Plain?!?

Anyway, a question for Ed then, considering the above: As you (possibly) have more insider information on the Spellplague than most of us here, are you satisfied with the direction it took the Realms? Or to put it differently, is the post-Spellplague Realms a place you'd still recognise as a whole or want to campaign in?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  15:59:54  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hoo-boy. I sense a big, looming NDA on the answer to those, Kyrene.
Still, doesn't hurt to try . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  19:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Is there anything you can tell us about any recently (as in, in the two decades before the Spellplague) exiled nobles that hasn't appeared in print yet? (e.g. Cloak & Dagger)
I'm wondering about the fates of some of the younger, more innocent (of the treason that got them exiled) members of some of the families booted out in the later years of Azoun's reign and the beginning of the Steel Regency . . .
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  21:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Do any Cormyrean noble families, circa just-pre-Spellplague, own farms or ranches or houses and land on the south coast (and inland from that) of the Lake of Dragons? I'm thinking rural, not houses in Westgate or Teziir or another big settlement . . .
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  21:34:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Malcolm, I know that some do, but only Ed will be able to give us specifics or even a good idea of how much (Sembia, thanks to the rich trade and commerce, is the most popular locale for "outland holdings" of Cormyrean nobles; after that comes the city of Waterdeep).
However, we'll see . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2009 :  12:42:02  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello Hooded and Ed

Hooded is Ed able to comment... Laeral I feel for her pain recently, she has just lost a sister in the cruelest of ways, Khelben is now in Arvandor and she is baring twins. Can Ed comment as to Laeral's perpective and outlook on life at the moment, how she feels, her place and mindset for the future especially now that Mystra is no more, and how did the Casting on the High Moor to create the City of Hope affect the twins still within her womb?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2009 :  16:09:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Bruce, I'm afraid Ed can't comment on Laeral yet; There Are Plans. Which will involve Steven Schend far more than they will Ed. And before you rush off to put those same questions to Steven: HE can't answer you without seriously harming the chances of said Plans ever happening. Sometimes we must all just be patient and see what comes into print, I'm afraid.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2009 :  16:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
If all the Obarskyrs were wiped out at once (and for the sake of convenience, let's say Vangey and Caladnei, too), who's next in line for the Dragon Throne?
A "proven" bastard of Azoun? A member of one of the "Royal Houses" of nobility?
I'm well aware that it would really come down to who could physically hold the throne and attract the support of the majority of nobles and commoners, but "on paper," whose claim takes precedence?
Oh, and a P.S.: just pre-Spellplague is the time setting, and Cormyr is the place.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000