Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Akota? (an exotic place beyond Zakhara)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2008 :  23:12:02  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Mentioned in adventurers guide to zakhara, city of Tajar entry.
Caravans from Akota come there.. which is a bit odd, considering Tajar is on a peninsula, surrounded by the rest of zakhara..

Which leaves the option of a portal, but Akota itself is still a mystery :P

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  02:00:55  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, Akota is a city on the same peninsula, actually it is almost straight west from Tajar on the opposite coast with a marked road between the two, not a dashed line but a solid line so it is a major or well-kept road.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3226 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  07:09:15  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well, I can't tell you what Akota is in the Forgotten Realms, but Akota is a city in India. Technically, I neighborhood in a city. But, regardless, because it's a seeming derivative of something in India, it's likely that the Akota of the Forgotten Realms is in Zakhara itself, considering that Zakhara is a pseudo-Arabic setting, of which India (certain areas, during certain periods of time) could be considered.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  16:29:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that there are also several mentions of 'Dark Elves' and 'Lotha Worshippers' coming from the same region, most Zakhara groups have come to the conclusion that Akota is indeed a Dark-Elven City.

I came across this on a couple of Al-Qadim Fansites, and when I did my own research, it sounds about right.

Either that is a city of Dark Elves, or they have some sort of treaty with them, or they are constantly being harrassed by them, because the Dark Elves do indeed come from that same region.

I personally prefer it as a Dark-Elven Citystate, because not only does the canon back that up, but it places Akota across the sea from Dambrath... and there's all sorts of interesting possibilities there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 26 Dec 2008 17:02:07
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  09:05:39  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing official, of course, but if you have access to the Dragon Magazine Archive, or Dragon Magazine #189... That issue contains an article by David Howery describing a "lost continent" type setting, with a map that was sized to allow the continent to fight right on to the western edge of the Zakhara map. David suggested that that continent might be "Akota". In my own campaigns.

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  16:48:31  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Nothing official, of course, but if you have access to the Dragon Magazine Archive, or Dragon Magazine #189... That issue contains an article by David Howery describing a "lost continent" type setting, with a map that was sized to allow the continent to fight right on to the western edge of the Zakhara map. David suggested that that continent might be "Akota". In my own campaigns.


where in that article does it mention Akota? The article talks about inserting an African type area, called the "Dark Continent", into the various campaign settings like Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms, Al-Qadim or Ravenloft... though if you read the article, most of the stuff they want to add, such as monsters, animals, climate, environments and peoples are already in the Realms in the Shining South, from Chult east to and including the Shaar.

Here is a link to a screenshot of the map in the FR Atlas that shows exactly where Akota is in relation to Tajar: http://imageshack.us][img=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6817/screenhunter01dec281039ch1.gif]
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  21:38:37  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Nothing official, of course, but if you have access to the Dragon Magazine Archive, or Dragon Magazine #189... That issue contains an article by David Howery describing a "lost continent" type setting, with a map that was sized to allow the continent to fight right on to the western edge of the Zakhara map. David suggested that that continent might be "Akota". In my own campaigns.


where in that article does it mention Akota? The article talks about inserting an African type area, called the "Dark Continent", into the various campaign settings like Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms, Al-Qadim or Ravenloft... though if you read the article, most of the stuff they want to add, such as monsters, animals, climate, environments and peoples are already in the Realms in the Shining South, from Chult east to and including the Shaar.

Here is a link to a screenshot of the map in the FR Atlas that shows exactly where Akota is in relation to Tajar: http://imageshack.us][img=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6817/screenhunter01dec281039ch1.gif]



Well, I did not have the article in front of me, and I was really, honestly, convinced that it mentioned Akota. Turns out it does not.

Correct my earlier rambling - David Howery wrote, on integrating his Dark Continent with Zakhara: "The AL-QADIM setting: While technically part of the Realms, Zakhara is a land quite different from Faerun. The Dark Continent is a logical adjunct to Zakhara, since the real Africa is adjacent to the real Arabia. Due to proximity, the people of Zakhara are familiar with the Dark Continent, and have long-established trade routes there. DMs should feel free to place the Dark Continent off the western edge of the High Desert."

Back then I just put one and one together, with one one being, Dark Continent off the western edge of the High Desert, and the other one being the bit off the western edge of the Zakhara map being Akota, leading to my calling the Dark Continent Akota. Whoopsie, my bad.

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.

Edited by - Thauramarth on 28 Dec 2008 21:39:50
Go to Top of Page

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  20:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way i imagined it,
The dark continent is the one just south of maztica.
While this indian realm (akota or whatever.. original homeland of afyal?), would be a big island between karatur and maztica. Reachable by ships or portal (well a distant portal even..)

Guess akota could have a portal, to another akota.. at that faroff continent. Aside from ships going west to the dark continent (gathering slaves, ivory, gold and ebenholz). maybe offering glasspearls and iron weapons to the natives ;)

Edited by - Ikki on 29 Dec 2008 20:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  21:37:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A large island?

Which one?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 29 Dec 2008 21:39:14
Go to Top of Page

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  21:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

A large island?

Which one?



Think there is one big that isnt shown there.

Right between the grand maztica+north & south and karatur.
The FR 3.0 setting has the island (continent?). Very big, as big as faerun ;)

Or if yopu have chosen to limit the world to that map, id suggest those two between "south america" and zakhara. Either or both even?
Certainly enough of a difference between the riverlands in the north and the southern lands.. ranging from deccan to the even stranger vijyanagran lands.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  20:01:41  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
always wondered what's on that island between Katashaka and Zakhara
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  06:12:43  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's kind of odd how you have repeated regions like Calimshan and Zakhara, Chult and the Dark Continent. Not that I'm criticizing the Al-Qadim setting (which I'm ignorant of.)
Go to Top of Page

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  08:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yet calimshan and zakhara are vastly different places. One has genies, the other ... not really.
Same with the whole hospitality, zar-mentality (arguable) etc..
One is largely a bubble, save tradelinks, the other more or less in the middle of all.

Chult is also more of a tarzan style africa, especially with that fabled city with paladin kings etc.. City of ivory & queen of sheeba. The other one (under maztica), well, more of a pygmyplace. Then again, very, very little has been nailed down for the one below maztica. Save a picture or two and maybe a line mentioned somewhere.
So as far as im concerned its full of pygmies with curare (yeah, like lions & tigers fighting... or polar bears eating penguins)
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1342 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2018 :  23:48:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ikki

yet calimshan and zakhara are vastly different places. One has genies, the other ... not really.
Same with the whole hospitality, zar-mentality (arguable) etc..
One is largely a bubble, save tradelinks, the other more or less in the middle of all.

Chult is also more of a tarzan style africa, especially with that fabled city with paladin kings etc.. City of ivory & queen of sheeba. The other one (under maztica), well, more of a pygmyplace. Then again, very, very little has been nailed down for the one below maztica. Save a picture or two and maybe a line mentioned somewhere.
So as far as im concerned its full of pygmies with curare (yeah, like lions & tigers fighting... or polar bears eating penguins)



Chult is like what might have happened if a group of magic wielding Africans had colonized South America instead of Europeans doing it.

The way I view Calimshan it's the Ottomen Empire to Zakhara's Islamic Caliphate, minus monthiesism and with vastly different religions.

Zakhara has Mosques, Calimshan has temples, Calimshan does not follow the Lawbringer of Zakhara or it's Gods, it follows the Faerun religion, following the teachings it the Chosen, with a specially focus on a handful of Gods like Ilmater, Sharess, Selune, Tyr, Azuth, Ibrandul, Shar, own version of Talos, ect...

Basicly Calimshan is a mix of Zakharan and Faerun cultural elements, the way Nathlan is a mix of Zakharan culture and Faerun culture and Evermeet is a mix of Faerun and Feywild (plus who knows what else now that elves from other worlds are immigrating to Evermeet), and Tymanther is a mix of Abeir, Faerun, and Untheric culture, ect...



Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000