Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Ghosts of Christmas Past: Santa in 3.x & 5E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  01:56:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So earlier today, I recommended the wonderful third-party book Faeries to someone... I recalled, after doing so, that one of the NPCs detailed in there is the Holly King, who has many other names -- among them, Kris Kringle.

This made me recall something WotC did for the holidays in 2001 and 2002: They presented us with a D&D Santa Claus, Nicholas the Gift-Giver. I tracked down the links, and I'm putting them all here, to make things simple for DMs wanting to do a holiday session.

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Nicholas the Gift-Giver's Northern Palace
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

Original, 3.x version:
Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

5E version:

2018 Edit: Adding the 5E version

2022 Edit: The 5E link is still good, but the 3E links no longer work <Insert negative commentary about the Wizards web team here >. I'm leaving the links there, though, so people can copy them and toss them into the Internet Archive and find the content that way, if they are so inclined.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Nov 2022 22:09:23

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  02:03:37  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's funny how traditional elves fit our thoughts of a gnome. I was musing on this the other day, when my buddy sent me a cool drawing of a bad mofo Santa.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  17:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. This is great! Thanks Wooly!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There really is a Santa Claus. I would, of course, be inclined to argue that mere stats could never truly do him justice.

Thanks for the links, Wooly!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Dec 2008 21:02:59
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:19:21  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's amazing! I'm going to have to find some people to play with so I can use that! Thanks for the link!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  23:07:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I'll have to dig out the PLANESCAPE interpretation I had for Father Christmas as a Ring-Giver in a one-shot campaign I ran a couple of years ago.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Dec 2008 23:08:32
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  16:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So earlier today, I recommended the wonderful third-party book Faeries to someone... I recalled, after doing so, that one of the NPCs detailed in there is the Holly King, who has many other names -- among them, Kris Kringle.

This made me recall something WotC did for the holidays in 2001 and 2002: They presented us with a D&D Santa Claus, Nicholas the Gift-Giver. I tracked down the links, and I'm putting them all here, to make things simple for DMs wanting to do a holiday session.

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

I have nothing against their version...

But I do wonder what Father Christmas might look like in 3.5 terms, especially if he brought his old pal der Belznickle/Knecht Ruprecht along as a bodyguard.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  23:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well dwarvenranger ...

i think it at least pactially comes from mistransation from Scandinavian ... we're calling them 'Nisser' which is interchangeable with 'Alfer' ... 'Nisser' is translated into Gnomes, while 'Alfer' is easy to misread as 'Elfer' which is Elves ... but whereas Gnomes are small 'spirits' protecting the farm, helping the farmer if they respect them, Elves are more whimsy, evil forestdwelling spirits which lures human males into thier hill and dance with them till they die from exaustion :p

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  04:23:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite the retailers breaking out the Christmas stuff a little earlier each year, I refuse to consider it Christmastime until I've had my Thanksgiving dinner. That meal is passed, my wife and I put up and decorated our tree, and the Bob Rivers CDs are next in my queue... So I can comfortably call it Christmastime. And since it's that time of year, I decided to resurrect this thread for another holiday season!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  04:27:07  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Heh. I'll have to dig out the PLANESCAPE interpretation I had for Father Christmas as a Ring-Giver in a one-shot campaign I ran a couple of years ago.

I guess we are still waiting?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  05:05:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? You really didn't expect me to be on time with this?

I guess I'll have to go looking for it again.

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Nov 2009 05:06:33
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  06:05:36  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to enjoy using this information for a holiday campaign this year. Thank you for bringing this thread back out.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  06:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I almost forgot, actually. Where would be a good place to have his northern palace at in the Realms? Any ideas or suggestions?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 30 Nov 2009 06:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  07:15:26  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahaha, this is awesome. Thanks for digging it up, Wooly.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  07:23:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Oh, I almost forgot, actually. Where would be a good place to have his northern palace at in the Realms? Any ideas or suggestions?

Well, we could follow the Holly King's example in Faeries, and suggest a place for his workshop that resembles the Land of Eternal Winter. Say, beyond the Spine of the World. Or, perhaps, somewhere deep in the High Ice [preferably, away from the Smokeholes].

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Nov 2009 07:24:56
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  08:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sage, I'll look over my maps and see what I can come up with. I really do appreciate the help.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  13:33:39  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Santa also appeared as an "official" D&D monster in Imagine Magazine #21 back in 1984. We converted him over at the EN World Creature Catalog last year, but didn't quite get him finished until January. Highlights:
* Santa's bag (of holding)
* Knows who's naughty or nice
* Santa's sleigh (major artifact)
* 3 new magic item "toys": elven rollerskates, Otto's Irresistable teddy bear, Tenser's floating jellybaby
* Santa's reindeer (including Rudolph)
* Toymaker elves
Come check him out!

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  04:57:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What? You really didn't expect me to be on time with this?

I guess I'll have to go looking for it again.

Ha-hem.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Dec 2010 05:00:05
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  05:27:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we should dig this out of the mothballs?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  05:57:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry fellow scribes, but I've been busy working on 2010's special end-of-year one-shot holiday-season themed campaign adventure.

I'm setting it around an alternate concept of Rudolph this year -- specifically, Ragnagord, the evil reindeer overlord.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  09:57:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis the season to return this thread to the front page!

I've checked out the links, and it looks like WotC has failed to break them (yet)... Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  17:33:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly.

I would say the real/main/whatever 'Santa' should be in a frigid part of the Feywild, where his chosen (going by various names on different worlds - Nicholas on Earth, obviously). There would be planer portals (Feygates) that would lead to each world where he has a presence. Since each world would have its own individual Santa, that would explain why he has been called both a Dwarf and Elf in different regions. With the sheer number of worlds he could exist on, he could be of any race, ethnicity, height, etc...

Although the Orc Santa would be kinda scary, its the Illithid Santa I most dread seeing.

And now Sage has yet-another year to give us his interpretation.

Last year (or was it the year before?) I had planned an adventure for FR, starting in the Moonwood and proceeding to Waterdeep, based upon ALL of the Yuletide/Santa lore, including things like Frosty, Rudolph, 'The Bumble' (yeti), etc.

Now I'm thinking of a new spin, using Elaith Craulnober as my Scrooge, and a Hobgoblin Pa-Thom (Drummer) boy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Nov 2011 17:35:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  01:26:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hey, I have a reputation to maintain.

Wooly has his mischievous ways, and I, my unreliability. We play to our strengths.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  04:37:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hey, I have a reputation to maintain.

Wooly has his mischievous ways, and I, my unreliability. We play to our strengths.

Ah, but the difference is, I put mine in my title. You should be Procrastinator Most High.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  07:14:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it!

I'll make the necessary alterations. [I just need to remember how we do that.]

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  18:32:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just don't put it on the 'To Do' list.

Geeze, I just thought of something... if Sage was Santa on some world, those poor bastards wouldn't get their toys until WAAAAAY into their afterlife.

"Now is this my Naughty List, or my To-Do list? Or is it my 'Naughty to-do' list?"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  01:10:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just don't put it on the 'To Do' list.

Geeze, I just thought of something... if Sage was Santa on some world, those poor bastards wouldn't get their toys until WAAAAAY into their afterlife.

"Now is this my Naughty List, or my To-Do list? Or is it my 'Naughty to-do' list?"

Narnra's already wise to my exploits in this regard. She laughingly calls it "Daddy's Forgetful Time."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2011 :  04:02:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bumping this up again, and I'm going to sticky it for a few days, I think.

And interestingly, I'm doing this exactly three years after I originally started this thread! Gotta say, a lot has changed for me in those three years!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Dec 2011 04:04:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  05:13:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it's time for the annual bumping of this thread! Much to my surprise, all of these links continue to be good!

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  19:20:36  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I downloaded them when they were new but have no idea where those files are now, so it's cool that the links still work.

I was going to point out that the High Ice only became what it is today at the fall of Netheril, and Nicholas' workshop should definitely predate Netheril... but now that I think about it, I'm not so sure. Reading the description of the Karsus Enclave, with its Elemental Store and QM III, it seems that Netheril is exactly the sort of culture that Nicholas would be from. I'm thinking late-Silver to mid-Golden Age. A "genius before his time" kind of arcanist, who probably had access to a mythallar, but chose not to make an enclave. If you accept NWN's storyline of rediscovering a functional mythallar following the Fall, he could even still be getting some use from it.

With this origin in mind, I also favor the High Ice. Well, technically on the Reghed Glacier, above the High Ice. I suggest a broad peak directly north of the Taglorlar, beyond the latitude of Hartsvale and the Taurax Mountains. Wyrm Rift and the Rift of Stars were once glacial lakes at the High Ice's southern edge, so he would have picked a location further into the ice to avoid accidental discovery/bother by enclaves and wanderers such as the Terraseer. Plus, modern explorers have penetrated the High Ice far enough, and regularly enough, that Wyrm Rift and the Rift of Stars appear on maps. Nicholas' workshop doesn't appear on maps, so it needs to be harder to get to.

And wow, apparently I felt like rambling.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  20:48:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not all mythallars were used on flying cities, so it's entirely possible that the workshop contains a mythallar. The mythallar could be used to maintain some weather-controlling magic, much as some mythals make their area more livable by moderating extreme temperatures. And the gnomes could use quasi-magical items in their construction of goodies.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000