Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Your reading practices...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  13:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few Lord of the Rings bookmarks that I got that had the ring attached but the strings holding the rings have since come off and the bookmarks themselves are slicing themselves shorter and shorter from me sometimes putting my paperbacks in my side cargo pants pocket that is perfect sized for the novel but a little tight for the bookmark sticking out a bit, and thus it folds down and breaks apart. Still have the ones from 6 or 7 years though. Sometimes I accompany it with a piece of paper where I will write down important information I want to keep from the book (Netheril references, character names in case I won't be reading often enough to keep track (this is esp. for Greenwood novels), stuff like that).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  13:59:29  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started reading multiple texts simultaneously while I was in high school (although I didn't discover FR 'til college) just because I couldn't stand being forced to read something without also reading something that I wanted to read. It helped that, way back then, I had a nearly photographic memory. (Stress and chemical changes that come with having children have since seen to that! I'm lucky to know what day it is...)

I also read fairly quickly, although I slow down a bit when the book is especially good. I can usually finish a 300 pager in about 3 hours. Even slowing for details, I read The Stand (1192 pages) in less than 2 days. It's usually not a problem for me to read even very similar novels at the same time, I just avoid reading any from the same series - can't go out of order .

If I'm rereading something that I've read before, then I can read even faster and have more books going at the same time.

As far as bookmarks, I don't use them. Things around here are entirely too chaotic to keep up with little things like that, so I just remember what pages I'm on.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  16:49:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

On a related topic, what do people use for bookmarks?

-I have only one real bookmark, a Lord of the Rings bookmark with the Nazgul on it that has since had it's little ring fall off, and that, at some point, ripped in half, causing me to mend it with some scotch tape. Other things that I use as bookmarks depend on where I am, and what's available. I use ATM receipts, ripped pieces from envelopes, whole letters that I haven't opened yet...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 16 Dec 2008 16:50:24
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  22:19:10  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just use 3x5 index cards for bookmarks. It's not very creative, but it gets the job done!

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  22:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually have one for home and one for work, unless I am working on beating a game on my DS, then I only have one for home.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  22:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

I just use 3x5 index cards for bookmarks. It's not very creative, but it gets the job done!
I either use those or the free bookmarks that I can get at my local used book store.

Edited by - Hawkins on 16 Dec 2008 22:51:43
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  04:43:56  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockyoumonkeys

I don't read very fast though. I think even if I did, I'd still rather tackle books one at a time. I envy people who can plow through a whole book in a day or two.

Reading quickly is quite annoying actually. Here you are finally sitting down with a book you've been waiting months or years to get and then you're done in a few hours. It can be rather unfullfilling .

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  05:06:13  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I have only one real bookmark, a Lord of the Rings bookmark with the Nazgul on it that has since had it's little ring fall off, and that, at some point, ripped in half, causing me to mend it with some scotch tape.

I've had the rings fall off of my LotR bookmarks too! I think the tassles on those bookmarks were made kinda half-hazardly, so even though they look really cool, the charm will fall off the end.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  13:43:38  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use, when I can find it, a store bought bookmark with a kitten that looks just like our tomcat did when he was that age. When I cannot find that one I use whatever is handy.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  15:13:27  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

quote:
Originally posted by rockyoumonkeys

I don't read very fast though. I think even if I did, I'd still rather tackle books one at a time. I envy people who can plow through a whole book in a day or two.

Reading quickly is quite annoying actually. Here you are finally sitting down with a book you've been waiting months or years to get and then you're done in a few hours. It can be rather unfullfilling .

Considering my backlog, reading a book in a few hours would be pretty nice. It's not really like I wait months and years for a book to come out, since I've already got so many books that I have to read anyway. Honestly, if I counted all the books I own or am planning to own that I want to read, it would probably top 1000 books. And when you consider that I've yet to top 50 books in a year, you can see how this would be depressing!

And to answer the earlier "bookmark" question, whenever I go to Borders I swipe about 10 of those free bookmarks they have at the counter, and I use those almost exclusively. I'll use one for a while, and when it gets too beat up, I'll grab a fresh one.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  16:48:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

I've had the rings fall off of my LotR bookmarks too! I think the tassles on those bookmarks were made kinda half-hazardly, so even though they look really cool, the charm will fall off the end.

-I had two: Nazgul and Mordor (The Mordor one, I lost somewhere). With that one, I purposefully took off the little ring. I found it more annoying than anything.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  17:04:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's one nice thing about the idol cards: they're laminated, so they never wear out...

Before I started using them, I used either a piece of paper or an index card, and those often did wear out. A friend's dad once gave me four free passes to a mud wrestling place; they were made of carstock, were bookmark-sized, and one side showed 20 or 30 women in tiny amounts of swimwear. One of those got destroyed, but the other three are still around somewhere -- worn, but still around. I'm just not sure exactly where they are...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  17:43:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's one nice thing about the idol cards: they're laminated, so they never wear out...

-They never got "beaten up" looking with usage (and they got plenty of usage, especially the one I have now, which I have used for years now), but they aren't immune to wear and tear. Like I said, it ripped completely in half that I mended with tape, but it also is all smudged and dirty in the back (which is white), and one of the corners folded, at some point, so the crease marks are there.

-I will say, for a $2.99 investment, I think I've gotten a decent use from it (and, hopefully, a bunch more years).

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 17 Dec 2008 17:44:35
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  17:46:07  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The price of bookmarks must have gone up since then because the one I got two days ago was $3.50.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  17:47:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Doesn't surprise me. I mean, I got the one I am talking about...six years ago? 2003, or thereabouts.

-Wow...Where does the time go...?

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  20:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On a related topic, what do people use for bookmarks?

*grins*

A nice, thick white bookmark with a picture of a wide-eyed kitty on it. There's a quote from Sir Walter Scott about cats being mysterious folk. The tassel has a tiny resin or ceramic kitty on it as well.

I love my new bookmark, it's so cute!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  20:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
But I found two wonderful Bast and Anubis bookmarks at Gencon this year and those two have become two of my favorites.

Are there pictures of them anywhere? I'd love to see the Bast one.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:03:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.heatherbruton.com/

Under furry and then bookmarks. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
But I found two wonderful Bast and Anubis bookmarks at Gencon this year and those two have become two of my favorites.

Are there pictures of them anywhere? I'd love to see the Bast one.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Dec 2008 21:04:27
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oooh, I like her! Thanks for the link.

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:15:17  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the silver wolf one.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:36:22  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a bookmark I generally use the receipt for the book since I'll usually start reading it before I get home and it's what I'll have at hand.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:38:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No prob. :)

And to Ranger, indeed so do I.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Oooh, I like her! Thanks for the link.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:39:45  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The rabbit gal gives a whole new meaning to the term "chasing tail" .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  23:09:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bookmarks, usually the same one I've had for over 15 years and yes, it's starting to look a little ragged and it's imprinted with black due to ink. :)

Oooh! An Anubis bookmark.

I'll have to look into this. Thanks Kuje.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  19:11:55  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hee hee. That is so wrong cute.

Funny, over on the RAS Forums, we were just talking about how the lines surrounding bestiality had been blurred in the Bible.

I guess that wasn't the only place...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  00:35:46  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Hee hee. That is so wrong cute.

Funny, over on the RAS Forums, we were just talking about how the lines surrounding bestiality had been blurred in the Bible.

I guess that wasn't the only place...

THAT is wrong on so many levels .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  04:17:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention one other bookmark... I have a bookmark that is only used for manga. My first job was at Pizza Hut, and shortly after I started working there, they changed some stuff around on the menu. Several things were changed -- and since we had one of those big backlit menus on the wall, that meant some of the plastic inserts had to be removed. I snagged one of them.

It's maybe an inch and a half tall by five and a half inches long. It's a piece of thin black plastic with "2nd Pizza 1/2 Price" printed on it. I'm not sure why I decided it would make a good bookmark, but I've had it for years... Somewhere along the way, I removed it from the bookmark rotation (I have a lot of the idol card I already described, and cycle thru them) and dedicated it to be used only for manga.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  04:31:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That is a pretty awesome bookmark, I will say...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2008 :  07:34:41  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bookmarks?????? what are those? i usually power through the novels in one sitting. although when i can't i just remember the page number.

although my first FR novel, Homeland, i bought at a used book store,in the middle of summer in Northern California. it was an older copy. i spent several hours reading that morning but, had to go river rafting. So i did the unspeakable and left the book face down on the page i was on, and left it in the car. when i came back 4 hours later the spine had come un-glued so the first 150 pages falls out.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile

Edited by - yargarth on 21 Dec 2008 07:41:13
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2008 :  12:54:59  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I buy so many books, I often get them used, and some of them are rather beat up when I get them. However, I must say that I've never had one where the pages fall out unless my kids got ahold of it .

I have a friend who is so OCD over his books that he only buys them new, and he doesn't even open them far enough to crack the spine. His books all appear as if they've never been read. I made the mistake of borrowing one- once- and felt so bad when I made a crease in the spine that I bought him a new copy before returning it .

(Shhhh... I don't think he knows about that.)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000