Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Shadowrealm - Chapters 13 - 17 & Epilogue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  23:26:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Shadowrealm (Book 3 of The Twilight War trilogy), by Paul S Kemp. Please discuss chapters 13 - 17 and the Epilogue herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  19:02:08  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Offtopic: Hmpf, sometimes I really hate my ThinkPad, just deleted my nearly completed post... /Offtopic

First off, a really gripping read with a lot action and information packed into just 338 pages, wouldn't have minded if it would've been 100 pages longer. Certainly in my realmsian Top10, simply because I love anti-heroes .

Well, I thought Cale would die as soon as I read the conversation between Cale and Mask on Wayrock and how Cale mentioned how tired he was. But I didn't expect him to die "just" to save Mags (although that's a very noble thing to do in it's own right), instead saving Sembia, for example.

As the Lathanderians marched into the storm, I had to think of the Light Brigade, although the word "Light" has a completely new meaning concerning the Lathanderians.
I felt the dialogues between Abelar and his son quite touching, although I would've liked to read about Abelars family a bit more in the dialogue... speaking of Abelar, why was there a map of Daerlun in the book?! I was wondering the whole time when Daerlun would be shown, but it was only mentioned as a safe haven for the refugees.

That Mask died came as a total surprise to me, he does hint at it in his conversation with Cale on Wayrock, but I didn't think that the "debts" would be that huge. Too bad the book doesn't mention the reactions to the death of Mask, which should've been quite huge, but I guess you can't pack every detail into 338 already fully packed pages (or perhaps no one at WotC has figured out how to explain the death of yet another god... without Mask, it certainly get's boring in the Faerunian Pantheon....).
Thinking about it, it makes more sense now that Shar kills Mystra, considering that Shar also had the portfolio of Thievery...

I hope there are still a lot of Paul Kemp books in the FR-Setting to come, would probably make it harder to boycott 4E

P.S.: Thanks to Sage for opening the scrolls!

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 14 Dec 2008 19:02:42
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  01:20:54  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading this novel. Excellent read! The ending kinda surprised me and finding out more about Mask was unexpected. The trilogy closed up quite well, while still leaving things open for further exploration. The only down part for me was that I was not digging Mags until the end.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  14:19:23  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pleased you both enjoyed the novel.

Braveheart, I don't know why a map of Daerlun was included. I don't have a lot of say in the cartography. I am writing another trilogy in the FR, set in the 4E timeline, and building off of the events in the Twilight War. It will feature Cale's son.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  16:36:33  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Braveheart, I don't know why a map of Daerlun was included. I don't have a lot of say in the cartography. I am writing another trilogy in the FR, set in the 4E timeline, and building off of the events in the Twilight War. It will feature Cale's son.

Damm, I wasn't gonna have anything to do with the 4th ed Realms. Now I may have to.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Starbuck79
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  22:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Starbuck79's Homepage Send Starbuck79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just like to thank Mr. Kemp for his wonderful work. I was a little late to the Cale party but he's become one of the most interesting character in the Realms. Further, I think that in many ways Riven was just fascinating. Both of their developments have been a pleasure to read. Where Cale struggled with his life and morality Riven had his own campus. His relationship with his dogs was fascinating as was the honestly in his feelings for Abelar's son. Jak has a major impact on both of their lives.

I have no issues with Cale's death. I don't mind when characters I like die. In fact, I think his death was more Heroic than if he had died in battle. Self sacrifice is one of the most powerful themes in human existence and many times it is wasted. There is something powerful of the 300 Model of making a last stand. But there is something just as heroic about giving your life for a friend. Now, It does raise a question of utilitarianism and the greater good. Is giving Mephistopheles that much power at the cost of Mags soul a wise move? We shall see.

I'd also like to point out that I appreciated the fact that Riven didn't "make the save" at the last minute. As it was building to the final scene I was almost expecting Riven to pop-up at the very last second and divert Meph's blow. I was glad to be wrong. I really enjoyed the beat down and they are obviously foreshadowing to another confrontation.

I also really look forward to the new Trilogy but I really hope it does not become a quest for Cale's body. Let Cale stay dead. His spirit seems to be at peace. It seems to be clear that Mask hid a bit of is divinity in the child and that will be the focus of the new series.

I also had general questions for anyone one else who has finished the series:

Shar is aware of her power within Rivalen, Riven, Mephistopheles correct? I assume she approved of Rivalen, but what of Riven or Mephistopheles? How was Mephistopheles able to absorbed the power without the cup as a focus? Was it all a lie? I'm willing to accept he's powerful enough to pull it off on his own but I was curious. Did Riven also receive a portion of Cale's share of the power? Considering what happens shortly after you would imagine she would want it all back. Was that Shar's plan all along or did she not really care who won as long as it caused Chaos? I was somewhat expecting was to find out that the whole Shadowstorm play was really designed as a distraction to help set up other events. Wheels within wheels. Rivalen mentions the Shadovar keeping the Chosen busy but I was expecting a tie into the end of Fractured Sky.

Is the "divinity inside each of us" a official change? I really loved the Abelar's journey and his death was really well written . I am curious if this is a subtle 4e change in divine classes. Are the Gods simply a focus for internal power now? Or was this a bit of artists license? Either way it's an interesting philosophical discussion.

And some non story related questions if Mr. Kemp doesn't mind:

How much freedom do you have in writing your novels? Obviously with the 4E change Wizards is making some worlds shattering events. Was it your decision to end the book the way you did? Do they simply say get to point X and let us know if you decide to kill anyone or do they say we'd like you to do XYZ? Do you discuss with other FR authors/designers the future and shape of the world.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  04:31:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad to hear this. Any chance of it being Hardcover (they must have realized that you're a hardcover author yet, right?)

Anyways, tremendously excellent novel (and trilogy for that matter)...it just cost me a few extra hours of much needed sleep. Damn you Kemp, I couldn't close the freakin book without finishing it!!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  15:40:08  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starbuck79

How much freedom do you have in writing your novels? Obviously with the 4E change Wizards is making some worlds shattering events. Was it your decision to end the book the way you did? Do they simply say get to point X and let us know if you decide to kill anyone or do they say we'd like you to do XYZ? Do you discuss with other FR authors/designers the future and shape of the world.

Starbuck,

First, thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate them.

Second, a good amount of freedom. The only constraint on The Twilight War was that the Shadovar needed to take over Sembia by the end (in accordance with the rise of the new Netherese Empire in 4E). How that happened was entirely my call, as was the Shadowstorm (and the whole Kesson Rel/Cale/Mask/Shar relationship), the insidious takeover by way of fomenting a civil war and co-opting Tamlin (as opposed to a conquering army), etc. Too, the fate of all of the characters (including Mask) was my call. I don't want to overstate this last, though. My editor and I discussed likely outcomes for Cale and Mask way back when (at the end of Midnight's Mask, as I recall). I don't know how that discussion was passed on internally at WotC, but in the end I think that the designers were willing to roll with whatever my editor and I decided worked best as Mask's fate.

Long story short, love or hate the book, it's MY book and I stand by it entirely. Evil editors and designers did not force me to write something I didn't want to write (I know you didn't suggest as much, SB, but I've seen this crop up on other messageboards). I told the story I wanted to tell, in the way I wanted to tell it.

As for your last question, I have and do discuss issues with designers and other authors from time to time. Eric Boyd has been of great help on many of my novels, and Ed has always been gracious with his time and creativity in answering queries.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 23 Dec 2008 15:44:39
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  15:42:14  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Glad to hear this. Any chance of it being Hardcover (they must have realized that you're a hardcover author yet, right?)

Anyways, tremendously excellent novel (and trilogy for that matter)...it just cost me a few extra hours of much needed sleep. Damn you Kemp, I couldn't close the freakin book without finishing it!!!

As of now, it is scheduled to be released in trade paperback (the big hardcover sized paperbacks) then mass-market paperback, rather than hardcover. I suppose that could change if the relevant indicators changed, but I suspect it will remain in trade and mmpb.

And thank you sincerely for the kind words, Alisttair. Much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Finder
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  15:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Finder's Homepage Send Finder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say the Twlightwars and with Shadowrealm being the finisher was something I widely enjoyed this year. I had my hopes about the chars in the novel however I was not so big on Cales death. I really liked reading about him. Furthermore being a former player and a reader I did not like the fact Mask was snuffed. Made for an interesting read and Paul S. Kemp did a great job but for a player who likes the diety I was not so hot on this at all.

As for Abelar he got his happy ending. I expected as much but I was hoping for more of a twist for him.

All in all very good novel, interesting events, though at least with Mask I think it was a bad idea.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  16:03:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Finder

I was not so big on Cales death. I really liked reading about him. Furthermore being a former player and a reader I did not like the fact Mask was snuffed. Made for an interesting read and Paul S. Kemp did a great job but for a player who likes the diety I was not so hot on this at all.

I struggled with those decisions, too, but in the end I decided the story was best served by writing it the way I did.

I'm glad you enjoyed the other aspects of the novel, Finder.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  18:53:29  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Starbuck79

Starbuck,

First, thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate them.

Second, a good amount of freedom. The only constraint on The Twilight War was that the Shadovar needed to take over Sembia by the end (in accordance with the rise of the new Netherese Empire in 4E). How that happened was entirely my call, as was the Shadowstorm (and the whole Kesson Rel/Cale/Mask/Shar relationship), the insidious takeover by way of fomenting a civil war and co-opting Tamlin (as opposed to a conquering army), etc. Too, the fate of all of the characters (including Mask) was my call. I don't want to overstate this last, though. My editor and I discussed likely outcomes for Cale and Mask way back when (at the end of Midnight's Mask, as I recall). I don't know how that discussion was passed on internally at WotC, but in the end I think that the designers were willing to roll with whatever my editor and I decided worked best as Mask's fate.

Long story short, love or hate the book, it's MY book and I stand by it entirely. Evil editors and designers did not force me to write something I didn't want to write (I know you didn't suggest as much, SB, but I've seen this crop up on other messageboards). I told the story I wanted to tell, in the way I wanted to tell it.

As for your last question, I have and do discuss issues with designers and other authors from time to time. Eric Boyd has been of great help on many of my novels, and Ed has always been gracious with his time and creativity in answering queries.

Reading your reply I was wondering if you ever thought of using the Chosen (in whichever way) or if they were off limits (or "too busy" elsewhere). I personally like it a lot when novels reference other novels but I also understand that every author wants to tell his own story without "borrowing" characters from other autors/novels (mentioning the Most High fighting the Chosen was nice, although I would've liked to read more about that "skirmish" ).

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  19:07:05  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

Reading your reply I was wondering if you ever thought of using the Chosen (in whichever way) or if they were off limits (or "too busy" elsewhere). I personally like it a lot when novels reference other novels but I also understand that every author wants to tell his own story without "borrowing" characters from other autors/novels (mentioning the Most High fighting the Chosen was nice, although I would've liked to read more about that "skirmish" ).

Braveheart,

It did not occur to me to use them, as they are Ed's creation. It did occur to me, however, to provide at least a nod to the fact that they were not getting involved for some reason.

Now, I've always been of the mind that Mystra's Chosen are continuously occupied with a multiplicity of matters large and small that require their attention and energies. Kinda goes with their station. But I was also of the mind that they WOULD get involved, should matters warrant it, or should enough time pass (the theory here being that, as the situation in Sembia stretched on, they might put out one of the fires they had to manage and make time to get involved in Sembia). Hence, Telemont says on one or two occasions that Rivalen needs to move things along quickly before Mystra's Chosen get involved, because then the whole plot takes on a different cast. His hope, and Rivalen's, was that the Shadowstorm and consequent Shadovar takeover of Sembia could be accomplished so quickly that by the time Mystra's Chosen were freed up enough to intervene, it would already be a fait accompli. At that point, Mystra's Chosen would dare not risk a direct conflict with the Shadovar for fear of all the collateral damage to Sembian civilians that likely would result. And matters unfolded just so.

I imagine after the takeover, but before the Spellplague, the Chosen might have worked behind the scenes, directly and through agents, to delegitimize Shadovar rule, drum up Sembian nationalism, and foment rebellions large and small, as any and all of those might have served their purpose. After the Spellplague, of course, things would be quite different.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 23 Dec 2008 19:08:23
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  20:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

Braveheart,

It did not occur to me to use them, as they are Ed's creation. It did occur to me, however, to provide at least a nod to the fact that they were not getting involved for some reason.

Now, I've always been of the mind that Mystra's Chosen are continuously occupied with a multiplicity of matters large and small that require their attention and energies. Kinda goes with their station. But I was also of the mind that they WOULD get involved, should matters warrant it, or should enough time pass (the theory here being that, as the situation in Sembia stretched on, they might put out one of the fires they had to manage and make time to get involved in Sembia). Hence, Telemont says on one or two occasions that Rivalen needs to move things along quickly before Mystra's Chosen get involved, because then the whole plot takes on a different cast. His hope, and Rivalen's, was that the Shadowstorm and consequent Shadovar takeover of Sembia could be accomplished so quickly that by the time Mystra's Chosen were freed up enough to intervene, it would already be a fait accompli. At that point, Mystra's Chosen would dare not risk a direct conflict with the Shadovar for fear of all the collateral damage to Sembian civilians that likely would result. And matters unfolded just so.

I imagine after the takeover, but before the Spellplague, the Chosen might have worked behind the scenes, directly and through agents, to delegitimize Shadovar rule, drum up Sembian nationalism, and foment rebellions large and small, as any and all of those might have served their purpose. After the Spellplague, of course, things would be quite different.

Ah, yes, after you mentioned it I do remember Telemonts advice concerning the Chosen. As of the aftermath, the Chosen probably would've used the Harpers - although your description of how the Selgauntans loved Tamlin for saving them in the civil war would probably make a rebellion more difficult to accomplish - and wouldn't be possible without the aid of Corymr in some form or another (who themselves have enough to worry about..) and so on...

I can't get enough of political schemes, it seems.

I just hope you'll pack some of that stuff into your next book, as it seems as if Cormyr and Netheril are major players in 4E.

P.S.: Merry Christmas!

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  04:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God what a fantastic read. Got choked up more than once.

A few of my favorite moments: Tamlin (because that's his name, he is no Thamalon, end of story!) saying that he 'hoped' Rivalen would inform him of the recent events...the very mention of the word 'hope' of course, suggesting he can't possibly fathom what he has become now. A brilliant way to bring him back down to earth.

Mags' fate in general - A great way for him to retire and find some peace, and the perfect way to justify Cale's death. No trumpets or wealth or power for Mags, just peace. A normal life.

That fantastic line as Erevis dies: "Cale, there's so much I have to show you."

And of course, Riven's sneering retort to Prince Rivalen: "And just who are you, again?"

But my favorite part of the novel: the fact that Kemp didn't just wrap up every loose end and abandon us as readers. He gave us enough plot lines to hold onto to allow us to either make up our own minds, or even hope for yet another storyline to come.

On my myspace Mr. Kemp said he hoped that I would 'dig' it.

I dug it indeed.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 28 Dec 2008 05:23:52
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  13:38:40  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, there is so much I want to say about this book that I'll just say one part now and leave the rest for later. I liked the fact that you had Riven brutalize Mephistopheles after the latter killed Cale, Paul. It definitely helped take the sting of Cales death.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Galinar
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  01:26:52  Show Profile  Visit Galinar's Homepage Send Galinar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a bone to pick with you Mr. Kemp. Because of you and your books, I have lost more sleep this past year then any employed person should. Over the past year I have read all the Sembia books and the incredible Cales stories. Many nights when I kept talling myself, "I should go to sleep I have to get up in the morning". But no, read just one more chapter, oh crap its 2 AM. In all seriousness I want to thank you for writing books that I have enjoyed greatly.

P.S. When can I look forward to staying up way to late reading your books about Cale's son?
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  01:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galinar

I have a bone to pick with you Mr. Kemp. Because of you and your books, I have lost more sleep this past year then any employed person should. Over the past year I have read all the Sembia books and the incredible Cales stories. Many nights when I kept talling myself, "I should go to sleep I have to get up in the morning". But no, read just one more chapter, oh crap its 2 AM. In all seriousness I want to thank you for writing books that I have enjoyed greatly.

P.S. When can I look forward to staying up way to late reading your books about Cale's son?

Yeah Kemp's a real jerk. He's been doing that to me since Erevis Cale Trilogy came out.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  14:54:23  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I liked the fact that you had Riven brutalize Mephistopheles after the latter killed Cale, Paul. It definitely helped take the sting of Cales death.

I'm glad it worked for you, Khorne. It needed to be there for emotional closure.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  14:55:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Got choked up more than once.

See, now that is the best compliment I could receive. Thank you kindly.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  14:56:33  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I refuse to apologize.

I am working on a new trilogy featuring Cale's son. The trilogy is entitled "The Cycle of Night" but individual book titles are still up in the air. I'll provide more detail when I have some. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  16:20:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there goes the New Year's Resolution to not read any 4th Edition novels...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  22:27:40  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I liked the fact that you had Riven brutalize Mephistopheles after the latter killed Cale, Paul. It definitely helped take the sting of Cales death.

I'm glad it worked for you, Khorne. It needed to be there for emotional closure.

Though I must admit taking old Mephy seriously was difficult. You wrote him well, but I remember whipping him in half a dozen ways in Neverwinter nights: hordes of the underdark, so when he did his "fear me" routine I just raised an eyebrow and grinned at the page.

Edited by - khorne on 29 Dec 2008 22:28:02
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  13:50:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Though I must admit taking old Mephy seriously was difficult. You wrote him well, but I remember whipping him in half a dozen ways in Neverwinter nights: hordes of the underdark, so when he did his "fear me" routine I just raised an eyebrow and grinned at the page.

Ah, foiled by a video game. Curses!
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  16:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only one question, spoiler it if you must:

What happens to the Uskevren family? The ones from the novel series that includes Black Wolf among otheres?
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  18:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I refuse to apologize.

I am working on a new trilogy featuring Cale's son. The trilogy is entitled "The Cycle of Night" but individual book titles are still up in the air. I'll provide more detail when I have some. :-)

Wow, that's huge news. Elation ensues.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  10:00:40  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I refuse to apologize.

The cycle of night? Would that refer to the same cycle Mask had hoped to break?

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  17:14:05  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The cycle of night? Would that refer to the same cycle Mask had hoped to break?

That's the theory.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  06:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best trilogy EVER!! Wow! Kudos to you Mr. Kemp. I have enjoyed every novel that you've written in the Forgotten Realms setting. I couldn't put this book down. I am a huge fan of Drizzt Do'Urden but now I can honestly say that Erevis Cale is by far my favorite Forgotten Realms character!

I'm new to the forum so I haven't had a chance to read thru many of the posts and I apologize if this has been asked before. Are you writing any more novels and if so will they continue with this story or a will it be a brand new story with new characters?

Once again, thanks for creating Erevis Cale!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

SH4D0VV
Acolyte

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  06:16:42  Show Profile  Visit SH4D0VV's Homepage Send SH4D0VV a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

I had a qn about shadowrealm. In Shadowstorm, in 'The Leaves of One Night' it was mentioned that Shar would have a moment of necessary weakness. How come this didnt show up in shadowrealm? or did it? Its a minor thing but just something that caught in my mind. Since Mask was hoping to break the cycle i thought that Mask would have been jumping up and down to get a hold of such info :)

Rob.
Go to Top of Page

Monikan
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  00:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Monikan's Homepage Send Monikan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Trilogy. I did not start reading it until the second book came out because thats about when my library got the first book in. After learning it was about Cale I freaked out and bought both books that day so that I could read them over and over and...

I also nearly had a heart attack when I just read today, on these forums, you were already working on another trilogy about Cale's son.

I look forward to seeing Mask revived as Cale's son. Although I suppose that does not technically make him Mask anymore. Ever since the time of troubles series I have had a soft spot for Mask and it is sad to see no designated god of intrigue messing with the greater gods schemes anymore. :(

quote:
In the millennia since he had been worshiped the faith of his followers had made him something greater than that which he had originally stolen from her. That she knew. But she did not know its scope, and that he had hidden some.

I am assuming he hid the power in Cale's son when he transported him into the future to save them from the spellplague. By the way, how did Mask know the spellplague was going to happen? Guess Shar can't keep a secrect!

Also how did Riven find out about Cale's son unless he too can travel to the future, or perhaps he traveled into the past to tell Mags when he was in the dingy. Ultimately I found the epilogue rather confusing because its dated 1479DR but seems to fluctuate between conversations that happened before that. I assume that Cale's son has already been born by this time so that the epilogue was really just a way of closing the Mag storyline and I fear we wont see him in the next trilogy.

Of course, all this speculation just makes me want to read the next trilogy even more!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000