Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 friendly hello and a question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Newander
Acolyte

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:21:20  Show Profile Send Newander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
hey guys, new to the forum but think I've found my special place at last.

I've read all but the short novels about Drizzt, the cleric quintet and 4 of the 6 novels in War of the spider queen.
What started my interest was the Baldur's Gate games (and later the Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights games) and has ever since grown.

I don't feel that new to the Realms but in the same time haven't really read much in comparison to what's out there..

just so you know, I have read much of the "newcomers read guide"-thread but..
I was first thinking of reading the sembia or song and swords series.
but then for some reason I had an urge to read the Erevis Cale trilogy (think someone said they loved it or something..)

would you recommend against it asking to read something more of the "core" books?

Chaos will be sewn from their passage, so sayeth the wise Alaundo

Edited by - Newander on 11 Dec 2008 17:22:53

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:25:34  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in a similar situation; I read most of the Salvatore books and a couple others, but am about to really start reading all of the FR books.

I'm just tackling them in publication order.

I have seen it stated that the Sembia series is a great place for those relatively new to the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Newander
Acolyte

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:28:52  Show Profile Send Newander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the most recommended series to begin with is Sembia, Song & Swords, the Avatar and Finder's Stone..

I found both Sembia and Song & Swords on the swedish online bookstore that I usually order from.

by a little closer search on google I found out that Erevis Cale appeared first IN the Sembia series.

I guess I'll start with that one then?

Edited by - Newander on 11 Dec 2008 17:32:07
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:36:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Read whichever you like. Of your list, I'd go with the Song & Swords series.

-I'll give my standard advice: Read one of the Realms of X anthology books. They are books containing short stories, and have various topics, like magic, Dragons, Elves, war, the Underdark, and so on. The stories have a lot of characters and a lot of authors. You'll get to see a wide variety of authors and characters, and figure out who you like and who you don't like.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Newander
Acolyte

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:45:35  Show Profile Send Newander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the fast replies guys.

guess I'll flip a coin whether to begin with Sembia or Song & Swords.

and btw, do you know a good reliable place to order these kind of books in europe online?
the swedish store is kind of limited.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  18:47:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there is my personal favorite, Once Around the Realms. A comic journey that depicts the various lands and customs of the Realms by the great Volo.

Ignore the official reviews (and some of the scribes here). Or maybe you shouldn't ignore them... I have very unique tastes for things cheesy .

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  23:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newander

hey guys, new to the forum but think I've found my special place at last.

I think that's great--welcome!

quote:
just so you know, I have read much of the "newcomers read guide"-thread but..
I was first thinking of reading the sembia or song and swords series.
but then for some reason I had an urge to read the Erevis Cale trilogy (think someone said they loved it or something..)

would you recommend against it asking to read something more of the "core" books?

I usually suggest reading what "grabs" you the most--that's the whole point after all. In this case, though, I really must suggest reading the Song and Swords series. They are old Realms classics and not to be missed.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  06:24:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Songs and Swords books are quintessential Realms, and you should definitely read them.

Erevis Cale and the followup (Twilight War) might be my favorite Realms novels around (aside from my own, of course), so those are recommended. Much darker than your standard Realms fare, though, so be prepared.

Single-novel stand-alones are also a good way to go, if a particular trilogy doesn't leap out at you, or you want a bunch of varying perspectives all at once, and it's a good way to *test out* a particular author before you commit to a whole series. (Though not all of us yet have trilogies!)

Check out the Experienced Help for Recommending Realms novels thread . . . I'm sure Wooly will be by with a link any time now.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  12:19:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Check out the Experienced Help for Recommending Realms novels thread . . . I'm sure Wooly will be by with a link any time now.
Bah! The Mischief Lord isn't the only scribe with that particular ability. Notice... Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  12:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Bah! The Mischief Lord isn't the only scribe with that particular ability. Notice... Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.

That is why you are the Loremaster Most High, Sage, and Wooly is simply Master of Mischief

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  12:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Topic, I personally recommend The Avatar Trilogy as another alternative place to start. It takes place in multiple popular locales in the realms and deals with one of the biggest RSEs. (Plus I really enjoyed them).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Newander
Acolyte

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  14:07:54  Show Profile Send Newander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the answers guys, and from an FR author no less!
really cool :)

I've decided to go with Song & Swords followed by the Avatar and Sembia.
stand alone novels don't appeal to me as much as a whole series, though I will read them at a later point I recon..
just as soon as I'm done with WotSQ ;)

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  20:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Erevis Cale series was a big leap forward in characterization for the Realms. Kemp's work is top-notch, and it's tough not to recommend it - no matter where you are in Realmslore!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Calen
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  02:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Calen's Homepage Send Calen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, this is my first posting in any forum, anywhere that i have done (yay). I've read FR books and spent many an evening/weekend travelling Faerun for years. I used to do a lot of writing and am becoming more interested in pursuing it as a career. Mostly i will be looking at pr and copywriting, however, freelance fantasy has always been my passion. I am just hoping that some of you professionals out there would be willing to answer some questions for me about the industry and the career itself. Any information would be greatly appreaciated as this is kind of a pre-requisite for me to access funding for school.

Sincerely, from Edmonton, Alberta
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  02:23:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calen, I'm sure Ed Greenwood, the creator of the Realms (and a fellow Canadian, as am I), will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Just post questions for him in this year's "Questions For Ed Greenwood" thread in the Chamber of Sages.
If you'd prefer that your e-conversation be private, PM me here at the Keep, and I'll at as a relay (well, okay, what's said won't be private from ME, but my discretion is, ahem, legendary here in the Keep; ask anyone, or almost anyone ).
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Dec 2008 02:23:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  03:12:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yes... The Lady Herald is indeed discreet.

*The Sage, whose recent mental note about installing an extra layer of sound-proof padding to the Lady Hooded One's chambers, should be passed along to Candlekeep's maintenance crews before his next visit*

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  04:36:04  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recomend Cormyr, or Evermeet. They provide a lot of Realms history.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  04:41:50  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Spellfire is a great taste of the realms.
Go to Top of Page

Calen
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  01:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Calen's Homepage Send Calen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings hooded one. I greatly thank you for your advice. I have contacted the Sage through private postings and appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  13:56:16  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its also worth checking out some of the harper novels.some are awful but i highly reccomend red magic,crypt of the shadowking and ring of winter.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  14:51:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calen

Greetings hooded one. I greatly thank you for your advice. I have contacted the Sage through private postings and appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.

Whoops! I forgot to reply to that PM Calen. Sorry. I'll get to it tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Calen
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  04:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Calen's Homepage Send Calen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No prob. It is not my place to question the ways of a master.
Go to Top of Page

Calen
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  02:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Calen's Homepage Send Calen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all. I have already read all the Harper novels and Spellfire and Cormyr. However I have not read Evermeet and will be definately picking it up. I also had the Plague of Spells suggested to me which is now on my list.
Go to Top of Page

yshyi
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  03:07:26  Show Profile  Visit yshyi's Homepage Send yshyi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The avatar series is a great plce to look if youre interested in the gods, and the cities novels give lots of info on the politics of the more well known places in the realms

yshyi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000