Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reading the Double Diamond Triangle Saga?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  02:01:21  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for some help from those who have actually read through the Double Diamond Triangle Saga.

1). What order did you read the books in?
2). Did you follow one of the reading order 'paths' to get through the series?
3). Did you read both 'paths' simultaneously, or did you go back afterwards?(if at all)
4). Did you read all 9 'books' eventually?
5). Anything to add? Suggestions? Good book? etc...

If your not familiar with the series, I think the general idea is to 'choose your own adventure' type thing, here are some diagrams to hopefully clear things up.

----------1----------
---------/----------
--------2---3--------
-------/------------
------4-------5------
------------/-------
-----------/--------
----------6----------
---------/----------
--------7---8--------
----------/---------
----------9----------
(ok that didn't turn out too well, I can't get the \'s to actually stay...oh well!)

The link below will explain it much better.

http://www.o-love.net/realms/head_dia.html

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)

Edited by - hawkytom on 11 Dec 2008 02:06:24

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  02:45:04  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
these were interesting. I have the first 4.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  02:56:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have all nine of them (in fact, I've sold a second set, and copies of 1-7, and I still have an odd copy or two of #4 wandering about), but I've not read them. I got them several months, maybe a year ago, and I've just not gotten around to it yet. When I do read them, I think I'll just go sequentially.

I didn't even know about the different reading paths thing until recently, and I gotta say, I think it's just a gimmick.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  03:05:21  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I have...the fourth one. I read it, and frankly, I didn't find it all that good. Mind you, I don't have any of the others, so there might be some context problems there, but...Yeah, it wasn't that great.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  03:12:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Well, Ed was given an afternoon (!) to write the third book (it's called "The Mercenaries" but when Ed was given the plot outline, he said it should have been called "The Pirates"), but he had the luxury of two full days to co-write the ninth book - - which arrived in his hands twice as long as the final wordcount was allowed to be!
Given those circumstances, how good would you expect the writing to be?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  05:00:13  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Excellent! I expect miracles, and get irrationally angry when my high expectations are not met!

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  05:08:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 - I read each as they were released. Reading them in such a fashion really didn't impact that much on my understanding of the story itself. I'm inclined to agree with Wooly about the reading paths being a gimmick of sorts.

2 - No. It's as I said above.

3 - No. As I said in reply to your first question.

4 - I've read them all, but it was quite a while ago.

5 - Most were interesting in their own ways, though Ed's The Mercenaries was pretty much the only one I actually enjoyed.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  06:30:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should also mention that I thought the "serial novel" aspect was also a gimmick. The books came out shortly after Stephen King met with some success with his serial novel, The Green Mile. The DDTS differs in that it involves several different authors, but my impression then was that it was another case of TSR trying to copy someone else's formula for success, much like they did with the Spellfire CCG (a game I sank way too much money into!).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  07:08:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never really got all that attached to the "Spellfire" CCG myself. I was too involved with M:tG at the time.

Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  07:29:21  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ahhhh MTG, lot of fond memories and plenty of money spent(too much!) :D Good times.

Thanks for all the insight on the DDTS novels, I figured that the whole ordeal was a gimmick, but was curious as to everybody else's experience.

The nice thing that I've found so far is that the novels are so short that you get through them SO fast and I actually enjoyed the 1st book, it had a different flavor from the other novels I've read...first book I've read from J. Robert King.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  11:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everytime I finish a novel, I look in my bookcases and first glance at these, which I haven't read, and usually decide to go with something else instead and tell myself "I'll get to these in a bit"....I think that will be my New Year's Revolution - to read the DDTS...probably in orders 1-9...don't feel like reading all 4 paths (maybe in a few years when I am done reading all my FR novels...we'll see).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  18:02:10  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've decided to read them 1-9, so far have read books 1&2 I've been pleasantly surprised!!! A big reason is due to the fact that I'm a fan of the Pools Trilogy/Heroes of Phlan...With references/appearances(even featured) from Kern/Miltiades/Evaine/Listle I've got into it really easy. I missed reading about some of my favorite characters from the first FR series I read, so this was a treat! Thank you James M. Ward!

I've also previously had the same approach as you Alisttair, but this time I decided between either DDTS or Nobles series (searching through this forum about the Nobles series changed my decision. It looked like generally everybody disliked most of the Nobles series, give or take 1-2 books...so I'll read them later)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  19:40:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

I've decided to read them 1-9, so far have read books 1&2 I've been pleasantly surprised!!! A big reason is due to the fact that I'm a fan of the Pools Trilogy/Heroes of Phlan...With references/appearances(even featured) from Kern/Miltiades/Evaine/Listle I've got into it really easy. I missed reading about some of my favorite characters from the first FR series I read, so this was a treat! Thank you James M. Ward!

Ooh... For me, that's a point against the series. I seriously dislike the Pools books, to the point of disliking Phlan, too, since much of the action happened there.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  20:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ooh... For me, that's a point against the series. I seriously dislike the Pools books, to the point of disliking Phlan, too, since much of the action happened there.

What the... That's it, no christmas card for you this year Wooly!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  22:07:17  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Maybe I'm a little biased and inclined to love the Pools Trilogy because Pool of Radiance was my first Realms book ever. The first time I read it was in like 2nd Grade, and I also played the AD&D computer game on an old B&W Macintosh.

Although when re-reading the series sometime last year I still throughly enjoyed it and it brought back many great memories! :)

Edited by - hawkytom on 11 Dec 2008 22:09:17
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  12:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't use the Pools Trilogy as an aid to read the DDTS cause I haven't read those yet either...but it sounds like I might need to read those first??? Or is it very irrelevent that I do that???

Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  14:13:01  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I can't use the Pools Trilogy as an aid to read the DDTS cause I haven't read those yet either...but it sounds like I might need to read those first??? Or is it very irrelevent that I do that???

It's not needed, just makes you more familiar with the characters I mentioned. Although I felt they were all pretty cool characters :D Especially Evaine and her 'companion'.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  16:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's not needed, just makes you more familiar with the characters I mentioned. Although I felt they were all pretty cool characters :D Especially Evaine and her 'companion'.

Ok I won't worry about it too much then

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  17:20:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another set hit eBay this morn, starting at like $10.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  22:37:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I might have to look into this myself. I need to replace some of the worn copies of my own set of DDTS books.

Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  03:35:02  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That set is mine. Mark my words.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  11:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally started reading these. Gone through books 1 and 2 and halfway through 3 now. Yes, I am going in that order rather than following one of the "Diamond" paths....I can see in which way they are split though, but the books are individually short enough that they can be easily followed reading them straight up 1-9 without confusion or what not.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  13:15:00  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have read the first seven. quite average really

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  00:56:14  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-If even.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  11:54:19  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read it all through 1-9 and didn't 'dislike' the series, considering it was a serial-novel it didn't have high expectations. It was pretty good at some points, and not so good at others. Don't really want to get into much details, but there was a nice amount of twists/turns/deceit/betrayal/etc...that has you saying 'WHAT THE HECK is going on here'!!

Very Minor Spoiler:

There was also a lot of deaths!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  17:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've finished reading these now. "The Mercenaries" was my least favorite and hardest to follow, but an afternoon to write a book isn't gonna give much, so no fault to the author here. I agree it should have been called The Pirates.
Overall, I think it was pretty good. Nothing to write home about, but not bad.
I can't see the point in the multiple paths. I read 1 to 9 straight and that seemed to make the most sense. I kept it in the back of my mind about the other possible plot outlines of taking different paths, but to me that seemed like it would of just derived from the story more than anything else.
Anyways, I suggest to whoever has them and has not read them yet to go ahead and read them, cannon or not!! (here's looking at you Wooly)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  17:28:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyways, I suggest to whoever has them and has not read them yet to go ahead and read them, cannon or not!! (here's looking at you Wooly)

Oh, I will read them, sooner or later... Right now I'm working my way thru the Dresden Files again, and I'm not sure what I'm reading after those... Maybe the Darksword books, which I recently reacquired, or some of the recently reacquired Stackpole books, or CodeSpell, which is a recent purchase...

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  18:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, I will read them, sooner or later... Right now I'm working my way thru the Dresden Files again, and I'm not sure what I'm reading after those... Maybe the Darksword books, which I recently reacquired, or some of the recently reacquired Stackpole books, or CodeSpell, which is a recent purchase...

That's how I was until recently. Kept putting them off in favor of other novels. Now that I read them, it's like a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders...... ok maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but I won't have to glance at them and say "next time" anymore

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:24:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will tear into my DDTS as soon as I fininsh devouring Elric : The Sleeping Princess.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  23:00:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyways, I suggest to whoever has them and has not read them yet to go ahead and read them, cannon or not!! (here's looking at you Wooly
I haven't re-read them in quite a while. Which is kind of strange, because I did like most of the books, and I usually re-read most of the Realms books I've enjoyed at some point.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  12:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Anyways, I suggest to whoever has them and has not read them yet to go ahead and read them, cannon or not!! (here's looking at you Wooly
I haven't re-read them in quite a while. Which is kind of strange, because I did like most of the books, and I usually re-read most of the Realms books I've enjoyed at some point.

This must be a sign then

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000