Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms Collection needs a home!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  19:06:45  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello All,
Well it's time. I must say goodbye to my Forgotten Realms Collection. I began this journey by reading Salvatore on the recommendation of a friend. I LOVE complete worlds where all the novels, RPG modules, games, etc. are part of the lore and history of the setting. However, the Realms are a bit too large for me to get around reading it all!! I've only managed to get through Salvatore, Cunningham, Greenwood's Elminster, and a few Denning novels. I just don't have the time or energy to try anymore.

Being the collector I am, I had too and was able to collect almost every book and 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 3.5 RPG material out there. Most of it was lovingly cared for and now needs a home. I knew that this would be the place to come to let those who care about the Realms know these need a good home. Most novels are in excellect and unread condition. The RPG material I will be posting tonight (Dec. 4th) and some show where but they ALL have every insert, map, etc. that originally came with them. Again, I am a collector so I'm very anal about these things .

You can find a complete list of what I'm selling here:
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/mindx2_W0QQ_dmdZ1QQ_ipgZ200QQ_sopZ12
I took a picture of every item being sold so you can see the condition. I am keeping my Salvatore collection and will still continue to follow Drizzt's adventures in the future!

Thank you all for your time and help me find them a good home, perhaps as a gift or for yourself !!

Regards,
David

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  19:14:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'm not buying anything, but I'll admit, that's a pretty good collection of books right there.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  19:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

It took me quite some time to find all the books AND make sure they were 1st editions in really good condition. As a collector, I hate the idea of selling them but really the only realms books I read are Salvatore's.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  20:54:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty! I will have to negotiate with my wife as to what my budget is.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  21:28:15  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should have seen the "negotiating" I had to do with my wife over the years to get this collection. I still have the bruises to show for it !!!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  21:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strider De Haven

You should have seen the "negotiating" I had to do with my wife over the years to get this collection. I still have the bruises to show for it !!!
Lol. Luckily, my wife came predisposed toward fantasy, so it was not too hard to convince her to read them. Unfortunately, money is rather tight at this time. I hope to grab at least 2 or 3 of the lots though.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  23:24:00  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow those are some great deals there, if I hadn't already completed my collection I would have been ALL OVER your auctions!!

Good luck & congrats to anybody who buys these!

If you ever plan on doing the same with Dragonlance novels (assuming you have a comprehensive collection like your FR one), let me know...I recently started collecting them and have TONs left to obtain, mainly the older novels.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  03:26:11  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately (or fortunate for my wallet and love life!) I never got into Dragonlance. The same friend who recommended Salvatore also really like Dragonlance.

Edit: Just to update things I have posted a large portion of the Forgotten Realms RPG material. I haven't gotten to it all (there is a LOT more to post) but I'll have to wait till tomorrow as it's getting late .

A question to any moderator: Is it alright for me to post in the RPG forum about my collection for sale or would that be like double posting? I want as many people here at Candlekeep to know as I know my collection will go to those who care about the Realms.

Edited by - Strider De Haven on 05 Dec 2008 05:21:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  05:58:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A question to any moderator: Is it alright for me to post in the RPG forum about my collection for sale or would that be like double posting? I want as many people here at Candlekeep to know as I know my collection will go to those who care about the Realms.

We prefer to avoid double-posting like that. Besides, anyone that checks all the threads regularly, or even uses the Active Topics feature (as I do), will see this thread.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  15:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads-up, I make check it out later.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  03:15:47  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright a quick update:

I got through posting a little more than half the 1st and 2nd edition modules. I will wait until Sunday to post the final batch of modules, all the box sets (they include EVERYTHING ), and the last few books and comic run.

I decided to wait a few days to post the rest as I realized that all these auctions were going to end at close to the same time. That is a LOT of packing and shipping to do all at once! So a few day break in between seems like a good idea. I will still allow those who win auctions to wait till they are all over to save on shipping.

Thanks to all who have expressed an interest. I really like the idea of this collection going to Candlekeep members .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  04:05:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I decided to wait a few days to post the rest as I realized that all these auctions were going to end at close to the same time. That is a LOT of packing and shipping to do all at once! So a few day break in between seems like a good idea.

Having just dumped a bunch of individual Warhammer 40k minis thru eBay, I know exactly what you're talking about! I had more than 30 auctions end in one day, and that was the second round of putting stuff up.

Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  13:15:41  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great collection that I know I will certainly take a look at.

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  04:46:29  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Update: I've now posted the rest of my Forgotten Realms collection! This batch includes the rest of the modules, all the box sets, and comic runs. The box sets are all complete and the contents are like new.

Man... this has taken quite awhile to posts. I'm dreading the packing stage now ! I'm also going to post all the Al-Qadim modules and box sets as they are "part of" the Realms.

Thanks to all those who have expressed an interest. I hope you get what you want!

Edited by - Strider De Haven on 08 Dec 2008 04:47:19
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  21:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to let everyone know... the book auctions start ending tonight around 8:30 EST. Thanks again to those who already bid and others who showed interest. Like the title of the thread says Please give them a good home !!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  03:39:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang it! I was outbid on Once Around the Realms!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  16:05:50  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty interesting to find this topic now; I won like six of your auctions last night (Counselors & Kings, et al.). I've been collecting all of the FR novels lately, and your auctions were a REVELATION, since you had pretty much everything I was missing.

It's been somewhat...tedious acquiring all these FR books these past few months, and I honestly thought getting the last couple dozen books or so would be the hardest, but there they were, all available (and most in like new condition!) by the same seller. I knew I'd be paying an arm and a leg for them, so I sold a handful of video games in the days before the auctions ended to make sure I had plenty of room to overpay if I had to, though in fact I don't think I did. I'm very happy with what it wound up costing me; the convenience is worth quite a bit.

My only regret is that I didn't make a run at the Double Diamond series; it ended up going for way less than I thought it would and I just never made a bid. But still, my collection is now basically complete, I'm missing only the Baldur's Gate books, the last Pool of Radiance book, the DD series and the "Best of the Realms" books, and out of those I think I'm only really intent on getting the DD series, which I'll continue to keep an eye out for.

I even felt a little guilty for the people who lost out on those items!

So while I may not be a regular in this forum (yet!), you can be assured that the books will have a nice home, will be treated and read with care, and definitely won't end up worn, bent and dusty in a tilted stack at the used book store, which to me is like Book Hell. I'm just so relived now that I've finally just about finished the collection. Thank you for your perfect timing!

Edited by - rockyoumonkeys on 11 Dec 2008 16:13:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:12:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockyoumonkeys

My only regret is that I didn't make a run at the Double Diamond series; it ended up going for way less than I thought it would and I just never made a bid.

As someone who looked for this set for a while, I will say that it's turning up a lot more frequently of late that it was even 6 months ago. It used to be that months would pass between times I saw the set on eBay, and now it's about once a week. And some of them are going for less than they used to, though some do still get up there in price.

Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  17:21:30  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Double Diamond series has been showing up on ebay a lot lately, but it always seems to be going for too much. But the one last night was definitely a missed opportunity. Excellent condition and a fairly reasonable price...I won't see another one like that for a while.
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  18:30:38  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking in on my collection! I actually got more than I expected for the novels, especially with the economy the way it is right now. Not to make you feel bad about the Double Diamond series but it was NEVER read. I never even opened the books once so they are like new! I just hope that the RPG books and box sets go for as good a price.
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  22:01:14  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
rockyoumonkeys: among the books you weren't interested in getting was the "last Pool of Radiance book"...not sure if your referring to the Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor book or Pool of Twilight.

If it's Pool of Twilight (3rd book in hero of phlan trilogy), then I'd highly recommend you re-consider and get this novel! Especially if you favored either of the 1st two books of the series. (I haven't read the PoR: Myth Drannor book, yet so no comment on that one)

Also in regards to the Double Diamond Triangle Triangle Saga when I was buying out the last of my books for completing my collections I finally happened upon a rare DDTS auction(at the time) and won it for like $80(no regrets!)...not sure what it's going for now, but it does potentially get really pricey!

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)

Edited by - hawkytom on 11 Dec 2008 22:01:48
Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  01:10:39  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I was referring to the Myth Drannor one. I have the three "real" Pool books. I'm sure I'll still wind up getting the Myth Drannor one as well, my obsessive nature will require it. But it's easier to just consider that and the Baldur's Gate books to be direct video-game tie-ins and maybe not necessary to a "complete" collection. Though mostly my reluctance to get the BG books is due to the fact that Throne of Bhaal is pretty rare and quite pricey.

(I'm similarly torn regarding the "Best of" books; since I already have virtually all of the short stories contained therein, I have to decide if it's worth the money for the few new stories the three books collectively contain.) It'll of course come down once again to my obsessive nature, and I'll wind up getting them regardless. But for a while I can breathe easy feeling like my collection is basically complete.

Also, I forgot to mention, I'm skipping the Murder books as well. At least for now. It seems like they're only available in hardcover, and still pretty hard to find at that.

Regarding the Double Diamond series, there seems to be one up right now, no bids and a starting price (again: STARTING price) of $70. I was tempted to message the guy and ask if he'd be willing to listen to offers, since I don't see it going for that much. The one last night that Strider sold, which was in perfect condition, went for less than $50.

What a doofus I am.

Of course the upside is that since I'll be reading them in publication order, I have PLENTY of time to acquire the few remaining books I need.
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  01:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rocky, I have the Baldur's Gate and Pool of Radiance books as well. However, I'm keeping my Forgotten Realms computer game collection (have every game made for PC or pre-PC in original box or collectors box) so wanted to keep the books that "went with" the games. Yeah, I'm kinda of anal when it comes to that sort of thing!
Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  03:00:32  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's cool. I'll find them eventually. Besides, you've already done so much for my collection, haha.
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  22:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, last update then my collection is in better hands! The rest of my 1st and 2nd Edition modules and sourcebooks, as well as all the box sets start ending tonight around 9:30 EST. Thank you all again for your interest and especially to those who have taken in these books and given them a good home!!!

Edited by - Strider De Haven on 15 Dec 2008 01:06:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  22:29:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were a couple of items I was going to bid on and forgot about -- which sucks, because they went for good prices!

Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  23:48:37  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just managed to get the Double Diamond series for like 48 bucks, so I no longer feel miserable about missing out on the last one. Now if I win the two Murder books and the first two Baldur's Gate books, the only books I'll need will be the Best of the Realms books and the third Baldur's Gate book. Almost there!
Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  01:52:50  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just received the books. (That was fast!) Man, these books are in impeccable condition! I also like how some of them even still have the Borders price sticker on the back.

Kind of a cool feeling, this being the last big shipment of FR books I'll be getting; got a few more shipments of stragglers (DDT, Murder books, etc.) coming soon, but this was the last big chunk of books I needed. It's taken me a long while to acquire them all, but I'm just about done. (Of course, my compulsive collecting will continue, I've just begun acquiring all the Star Wars books, which will thankfully be MUCH easier to do than the FR books, as it seems all the Star Wars books are still in print!)

Definitely can't wait to get started.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  19:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you like the books! As I said I'm a collector and like to keep my things in as "perfect" condition as possible. I also see we have the same Star Wars book addiction. I also have a complete 1st edition collection of them ALL!! I have actually read most of them and STILL kept them in like new condition. I just love entire universe series such as Forgotten Realms and Star Wars. Unfortunetly, I just couldn't keep up and read all the FR stuff.
Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  21:51:08  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, in collecting the SW books, I was surprised to learn that there isn't actually an outrageous number of them. I'd always been intimidated whenever I walked in the book store because it looked like there must be hundreds, but there's really just over a hundred of them. So this'll be infinitely easier to accomplish than acquiring the FR books was. (Though I can now finally say that my FR collection is 100% complete, including the ones I hadn't intended on getting like the Murder books and the Best of the Realms books.)

The only problem with the SW books is that Del Rey doesn't seem to care much about binding them straight; it's appalling how many of these NEW books come with cocked spines.
Go to Top of Page

Strider De Haven
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  00:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Strider De Haven's Homepage Send Strider De Haven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm back!!

I dug up this old thread and thought it was appropriate to post here again.

I can't believe it's been since 2008 that I sold my Forgotten Realms collection. Since then I've done some more collecting as it was hard to stay out of the Realms. Unfortunately, I didn't like what they did to our beloved Realms during the whole "4th edition" time period. It just didn't feel like the same place I explored using my old FR Atlas program all those years ago.

I do think they are starting to "get back to their roots" with the Sundering and have more hope and really enjoyed The Companions. In fact it got me collecting FR books again, but alas, I just don't have the room especially with my vintage PC games collection nor does it seem as if as many FR books are being published as before.

So, once again I turn to those whom I know will appreciate these books as much as I do. Just like last time, I made sure to try and only collect books that were 1st editions/ 1st printings and looked like they came off the bookstore shelf. They still have those around, right?

Here is a link if anyone is interested and feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'm open to requests or offers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mindx2/m.html?item=271424890769&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_dmd=1

Granted, this collection is nowhere near as comprehensive as my last collection (as some have already been sold) but I think you will be pleased.

I will still wander in the Realms from time to time and am looking forward to Elminster's take on the Sundering, the reunion of the CotH, as well as Denning's return to FR.

Edited by - Strider De Haven on 20 Mar 2014 00:36:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000