Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If the Realms were yours...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  16:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

[The empire of the same name that's located on the continent of Sarlona in EBERRON?

whats an eberron?

It is a place filled with phat l00t that uber players roam.....wait...is that Eberron or Uberron????

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 27 Nov 2008 16:51:49
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  16:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bryn---sounds like you really REALLY want to lose more in our game.....not for hating Gaery (can't blame you) but for your outright admission of that desire. I am SO going to manipulate the crap outta you---you are gonna mistakenly kill everything/everyone that you love and then find out your undodgable responsibility for it and never be able to atone because that would be winning lol

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  17:11:59  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thought or two:

if the Realms were mine, I'd have Leira's death be nothing more than one grand illusion perpetrated on Cyric (and Mask), and she's been relaxing all this time still in control over her portfolio and gaining power from worshippers (both her faithful and those who converted to Cyric) while letting Cyric do all the divine legwork for her. Of course, the time has come for her to reassert herself before the illusion becomes truth and she loses her portfolio. Cyric, in a fit of frustration and insanity, kills himself and Mask regains power he lost to Cyric as well.

Also, Shar would be revealed as the "Dark Powers" of Ravenloft... sure, a little outside the Realms, but still related.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  17:15:27  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laerrigan

Bryn---sounds like you really REALLY want to lose more in our game.....not for hating Gaery (can't blame you) but for your outright admission of that desire. I am SO going to manipulate the crap outta you---you are gonna mistakenly kill everything/everyone that you love and then find out your undodgable responsibility for it and never be able to atone because that would be winning lol

I actually have two words to say to that - BRING IT

Oh - that of course means that you're assuming that B is still in some way one of the good guys....?

Edited by - Brynweir on 27 Nov 2008 17:18:39
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  20:15:20  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd send it right to Ed for to downgrade from a certain new edition

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  01:55:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

I'd send it right to Ed for to downgrade from a certain new edition

*sigh* I really should prefer that we not walk this road yet again... There's been plenty of this sentiment echoed in lots of other threads.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  04:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since I'm not quite clever enough to come up with enough stuff to populate a My Realms, but clever enough to see an opportunity, I'd sell the IP to a company/group that cares. With some provisos of course: most important being that if they ever screw it up, I can force them to sell it (at the original agreed price) to someone who won't. That way I can have my cake and eat it. And, ahem, play in the icing too if I wish...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  04:25:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, folks, I'm going to reiterate the original post:

quote:
In this thread, I'd like to discuss people's own creations, and what of those creations they would -- if possible -- make official. In other words, if you created your own official Realmslore, what would it include?

I want people to share their own creations -- not talk about improving the IP or stealing it away from the "evil" Wizards. I want your Realmslore, and nothing else.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  05:03:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first thing I would want to do would be to reboot the setting to 1357 DR. This isn't to undo any one specific thing, but to accomplish a few things:

1. To make sure that anything that is introduced is integrated into the overall scheme of the setting very carefully, and intentionally, and not due to a larger marketing push. I'm not talking about anything recent . . . there have been various things added to the Realms in order to "push" a product from the very beginning.

2. To have a chance to make sure that a broad range of stories are told, i.e. stories about events that happened behind the scenes, and stories about various regions that were continually handwaved, as well as characters that never got the spot light that they seemed to scream for.

3. To recapture some of those people that really loved the initial Realms that they read about way back when the setting first showed up, but drifted away for whatever reason, but never developed a dislike for the setting, per se.

While the reboot would take some later lore into account for sure, the assumption would be somewhat like the DC Universe after the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, i.e. character histories are very similar, the same characters probably exist, but some details may change to make them make more sense and to have them occur more seamlessly with one another.

The Initial Roll Out

I'd put out a basic campaign setting guide that has the general information on the setting, a broad timeline, the gods, the races, etc. all spelled out.

I'd also put out, in the beginning, the "Big Three" setting books; Cormyr, The Dalelands, and Sembia. On top of this, I'd have the actual setting guide separate from the player's guide, so that each region would have both.

The player's guide wouldn't just have things like feats or PrCs in them, but rather, they would have some slang terms, some illustrations of clothing, armor and weapons from the region, the coins of the region in question, and spells that are native and readily available to a character from the region, in order to establish the flavor of the region.

Obviously there would be some overlap, as the Player's Guide would have some history and lore of the region in common with the DM's Guide, but none of the secrets or the like.

In the DM's Guide, you would have a more detailed history of the given region, along with timelines, secrets, plot hooks, and new monsters and any relevant NPC stats.

Physically, the region books would be more like Paizo's Pathfinder Chronicles line, and the Player's Guide would be similar in size and structure to the Pathfinder Companion books.

Also, when it comes to the NPCs, I'd stat them in very general terms, i.e. NPC X, Human Male Wizard, High Level, CG, rather than pining down things too specifically.

Adventures

I'd make sure to put out some logical adventures to the setting as well. I know a lot of FR DMs don't use pre-written adventures, but I think this is important because for people that don't "get" the feel of a setting just from reading the background material, many times the feel of the setting can come through in the way the adventures play out.

In other words, if the adventure has combat, but also has plenty of chances to network with NPCs and NPC groups, and introduces organizations and nations with opposing goals, has a few ancillary plots, and includes the adventurers seeing other adventuring companies (perhaps less successful ones), this goes a long way to explaining to a prospective DM that the Realms are suppose to work this way.

Novels

I've always been a proponent of "canon" novels, at least in part because I always hate it when an author really comes up with some beautiful details of a character, nation, or organization and a designer never picks up on these hooks (which unfortunately has happened even with the novels being considered canon).

My view on how the novels should be set and paced has changed a bit, though. I think that you could very easily print several years worth of books showing various adventurers across Faerun in 1357 DR without ever advancing the timeline.

Also, the novels really should serve to reinforce the themes of the setting. If the setting is trying to present adventurers as a social construct, working together, coming into conflict with various power groups and needing to be careful about what toes they step on, with layers of villains at any given time, it doesn't make much sense to novel that isn't an ensemble piece, with one main hero, fighting one straightforward villain and his minions, and clearly vanquishing the villain in the end.

I'd rather try to use "epic" trilogies and the like to tell the detailed stories of events that were already in evidence, so that they don't actually change the setting, just fill in details. In other words, an epic trilogy about the Fall of Myth Drannor, or the Crown Wars, or the civil war in Shanatar would be better than coming up with an RSE in the current timeline.

Finally, I'd rather no one character take center stage too much. Early on in the Realms, you had Drizzt and his friends, Alias and her friends, Tristan in the Moonshaes, and at that time, it felt like we were seeing various "co-equal" heroes in various regions being highlighted.

While I'm not saying that a group of characters should never have a sequel, but I'd rather see more than one group get a sequel, and I'd rather see, say, the same popular author do a new hero the next time they wrote than constantly revisiting the same ones. This wouldn't preclude a return to that character later, but only after a few other new heroes had been introduced.

Advancing the Timeline and RSEs

While I wouldn't do this often, and not really at a set interval, if the timeline felt like it could use a bump, I'd rather do it carefully rather than establish an artificial real world equivalent passage of time.

If I were to have a fairly major event happen, such as a war between two countries, or an ancient dragon awakening to attack a given location, or an artifact resurfacing, I'd rather that this even be done in an adventure.

In this case, the war/dragon/artifact and the events would be referenced in sourcebooks and novels, but the heroes that performed the deed would never be specifically referenced, so that if someone played through this, in "their Realms," there isn't any doubt about who pulled off the major, important event.

I'd rather that "RSEs" be something a bit more low key and tied to the setting. For example, for years, there have been references to massive orc hordes sweeping away cities in the North . . . basing a RSE set of adventures on this kind of event would be better, to me, than some grandiose events that have little ties to existing lore.

The Next Wave

After the initial setting books, and the adventures and novels, I'd start with perhaps one out of every four products being a book not about a given region, but something else in the setting.

In other words, after the Dalelands, Cormyr, and Sembia books, the fourth setting book would be Faiths of Faerun, chock full of specifics about the church, its practices, temples, hierarchies, etc.

Oh, and while I'm talking about gods . . . back to the 1e boxed set . . . the gods have no stats, although demigods might.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  11:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add to my posts, I would also have more Arcane Age style novels written about the past as well as publish more gaming products about the past.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  16:13:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I want people to share their own creations -- not talk about improving the IP or stealing it away from the "evil" Wizards. I want your Realmslore, and nothing else.

I thought "stealing things from evil Wizards" was a mainstay of D&D.

But yeah... I think I dislike the anti-4e sentiment more then 4e itself at this point. Its just been beaten to death and doesn't help with what this site is supposed to be about.

And to keep this on-topic, I'd have Ed write a piece once a week concerning a locale - nothing big, perhaps just a village or an ancient ruin, or even some clandestine organization, chock full o' plot hooks and little in the way of mechanics. Basically, I'd keep the whole thing edition-neutral and just work on cohesion above all else.

I'd keep Chult broken off though, like they did. I did that IMG years ago and prefer it that way. I guess I was too used to Hepmonland in GH, and was 'uncomfortable' with the jungle region connected to the mainland.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Nov 2008 16:17:57
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  17:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

Well, I'd make canon the book-sized amount of lore I wrote for Amn just following the Sythillisian invasion of 1370. That is roughly the time period that interests me. I prefer elaborating upon the Realms of that period rather than the Realms that we find in later editions.

Table of contents for the material I wrote on Amn:

quote:
Section I - An Overview of Amnian Society

Social Values
Wealth and Social Status
Class Structure
Display of Wealth and a Love of Luxury
The Importance of Gift Giving
Haggling
Oral History
Religious Tolerance
Racial Bigotry
- Halflings
- Half-Orcs
- Other Races
Hostility Toward Arcane Magic
Strong Investment in Divine Magic
The Council of Six
- Meisarch
- Tessarch
- Namarch
- Iltarch
- Pommarch
- Dahaunarch
Merchant Families and Lordship
Mercantile Houses
Guilds
Local Government
The Law
A Land of Regulations, Licences, Fees, Tariffs, and Taxes
The Ten Most Powerful Families
City - Type of Controlling Interests - Specific Families (Primary; Seconday)
Merchant Family Relationships
Families - Trade Interests; Assets
Major Family Alliances
Major Family - Enemies
Amn's Merchant Economy
- High Wealth Equals High Spending
Racial Bigotry and Business/Social Opportunity
Gift Items
The Marketplace
Money Lending
Investment Abroad
Local Businesses

Section II - Social and Political Organization of Amn

The Council of Six and its Local Officials
- The Six Local Positions
--Local Office of the Meisarch: 'Sub-Councilor of the Meisarch'
--Local Office of the Tessarch: 'Sub-Councilor of the Tessarch'
--Local Office of the Iltarch: 'Sub-Councilor of the Iltarch'
--Local Office of the Namarch: 'Sub-Councilor of the Namarch'
--Local Office of the Pommarch: 'Sub-Councilor of the Pommarch'
--Local Office of the Dahaunarch: 'Sub-Councilor of the Dahaunarch'
Merchant Families
Lordship and Family Houses
- Full Memberhsip within a House
- The Internal Structure of a Family House
- House Affiliates
Greater and Lesser Families
The Merchant Family House's Relationship to the Community
The Merchant Families' Relationship with the Council of Six
The Underclass
The Shadow Thieves
- Secrecy
- Hierarchy
- The Shadow Council
- The Cloakmasters
- The Guildmasters
- The Silhouettes
- The Rank and File
- Shadow Thieves' Relationship with Other Local Powers
City Government
Mercantile Houses
Guilds
- Guild Charters
- Guild Membership
- Rural Guilds
- Benefits of Guild Membership
Clergy
Foreign Trade Emisarries

In this work I wrote a very detailed description of the conquered city of Esmeltaran, co-occupied by the Sythillisian monster races and human Cyricists of the Twin Towers of the Eternal Eclipse. And a lengthy section on the Amnian social structure that I'm rather pleased with. (If anyone is interested I can make a .pdf of all this available.)

And I eventually would like to apply the same approach to the Shining South more, certain regions of which I find very captivating. In particular, the city-state of Ormpur, the Shaar, Halruaa, and some of the nations on the Golden Water.

I would be interested in a .pdf of the Amian documents
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  18:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caedwyr

Ditto for me.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  19:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Likewise on Amn stuff.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  20:48:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the future, Amn Imperialism spreads and it starts new colonies in many places, including Anchorome and Katashaka. They get their merchant class to back-up their military with this expansion, opening up new markets and thus creating a pyramid-scheme type of business model, wherein each new merchant to trade under their banner would in turn get a dozen or so 'lesser merchants' to be their 'downlines'.

And, of course, this new way of doing things would become known as the "Amn-way".

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Nov 2008 23:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  22:27:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Caedwyr

Ditto for me.

I, as well.

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  03:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, I'll echo the sentiments for the Amn material. Perhaps Alando can find a space for them on his shelves here at the keep.

Secondly, if the Realms where mine, the first thing I'd add is some of the novels that Ed's talked about doing featuring Mirt the Moneylender. He's a character that's always facinated me, but his story is mostly untold to date.

The next thing I'd add is a fully detailed layout and adventure through the Mines of Tethymar. I've always imagined echoes of Moria when I've pictured the mines, but I'd really like to see what's there.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  03:44:23  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have shifters as a natural part of the realms.
I'd kill of Drizz't and Elminster and a couple of the other members of the Justice League. Replace them with some more neutral types.
Start over at the grey box, no ToT, no Cyric, etc.
Keep more of a sword and sorcery/fantasy western feel as was in the original books.
Zhents would be a lot more competent, and Manshoon would rule them with an iron fist.
Harpers would still be a potent factor in the Western Heartlands.
Blackstaff would still be around, and still a Harper.
Wild magic would show up, and would remain a potent force (this is pretty much the only metaplot that I actually like).
Baldur's Gate would be more important (one of the few things that made sense in 4e).

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  03:57:38  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think if the realms were mine at the moment, I'd actually like to see the formians become dominant in some areas. After reading books like Ender's Game and some of the Riftwars and Empire Trilogy, I kind of like the idea of the hive mind. I think that they could actually pose a serious threat. I can just picture them biding their time, building up their forces, but staying hidden underground until the time is right. With all the upheaval in recent times, it should be fairly easy for them to take over a single city and then use the citizens to march on the next city. Perhaps somewhere in Amn - I'm not allowed to go there anyway .

I could also very easily support a campaign to have the realms taken over by undead forces reminiscent of Ravenloft or Warhammer. Well, not taken over, exactly... overrun maybe .
Go to Top of Page

Misery
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  06:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Misery's Homepage Send Misery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certain NPCs of mine as well would be offical like others, no doubt.

Bhaal would be ressurected by his faithful and show Cyric why a god of Murder is what he is. Never liked Cyric and always loved Bhaal, so its a needed switch.

Also, I'd introduce Malcanthet into the realms (everything I've seen suggest she doesn't stomp around in the realms). How NO ONE has a portfolio over Lust is beyond me. Sharess is close but a C/G deity over that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe C/N. That would make sense.

Chult would be explored in as much depth as humanly possible too. Always liked the area and a big fan of yuan-ti as a race.

... can I still be a bad A and like kittens?
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  11:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm delighted to share the Amn material, though it'll take a little time to get it all converted it to .pdf format.

This material was written for a NWN2 persistent world (which is still very active) with the intent to educate players regarding the setting of Amn. Many players are familiar with Amn only through the Baldur's Gate II computer game, and the canon setting is quite different from the game. A good deal of the material in my overview is what we already know of Amnian society from Lands of Intrigue (a source book available as a free download from WotC) written in my own hand. We wanted to consolidate that lore with our own custom post-invasion content. But more than half of it is a fleshing out of details of the society, and an extrapolation of what one might expect Amn to look like three months after the Sythillisian Empire's invasion of Amn in summer 1370 DR. What I'll make available to folks here will focus squarely on the setting for use by tabletop PnP DM's campaigns.

So anyway, I'll see first if I can get it converted to .pdf form so that it looks nice and sleek, and is easily searchable, etc. If not, I'll simply make it available as a Word doc. And I'm probably getting ahead of myself here, but if it's deemed worthy of a download slot in Alaundo's Library I'd happily make it available for that. (Naturally with all the proper credits to Steven and WotC. I conferred quite a bit with Steven when developing it, and the project had his blessing.)

Edited by - Lemernis on 29 Nov 2008 12:10:37
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  02:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
My view on how the novels should be set and paced has changed a bit, though. I think that you could very easily print several years worth of books showing various adventurers across Faerun in 1357 DR without ever advancing the timeline.

I agree. After all, there are supposed to be thousands upon thousands of adventures happening in the Realms at any one time.

quote:
If I were to have a fairly major event happen, such as a war between two countries, or an ancient dragon awakening to attack a given location, or an artifact resurfacing, I'd rather that this even be done in an adventure.

I have to agree with you that this would be ideal. It might go a long way to assure people that the "important stuff" doesn't only happen in novels involving NPCs, it can involve PCs too. Of course, I just know that there would still be an "official ending" as there was in the recent "super adventures" trilogy (for example).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 30 Nov 2008 02:24:59
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  15:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the Realms were mine I would add rumors and gossip for the more civilized places in my regular publications to add flavor to the different areas according to their cultures. Thay would get other rumors from Waterdeep and a totally different style from Rashemen and Cormyr ...

One of the best examples of "stylishness" is the speech St. Sollars the twice martyred give in the H4 module "The Throne of Bloodstone":
"I guess you've figgured out by now that that bad hombre you've been fightin' is [censored] himself, the meanest dude this side o' the Pecos," St. Sollars says, taking a deep swallow from his mug. He doesn explain what exactly the Pecos is.
Very funny and easy to get a picture of the "dude".

Oh and if the Realms were mine I would create a system of numbering the modules to prevent double numbers (like the H-classics compared to the 4e-H-modules).

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Edited by - Pandora on 02 Dec 2008 15:02:04
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  16:30:42  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, I've been pretty Vilhon exclusive for the past couple years so most of my idea's are based in that region. That said, here's a quick list;

1) Separation of Church and God. The Churches are more regional based and focused on ideals rather than specific gods. I decided that since Turmish is so trade focused that most of the Churches were originally built by Waukeen followers and they rented out space to other faiths (and worked out a deal with Helms clergy to defend the temples). As time went on the priests and followers identified more with the specific church and community they served rather than with the worldwide faith (which I don't really have in my game, I don't have much worldwide anything in my game). This trend kept up and at this point (1368 or so) people refer to churches by the church's name, rather than by any specific god.

2) A Malarite heresy that isn't all anti-elf. They're heavily anti-civilization (which does include elven civilization but because of civilization rather than race) and they are druidic in nature. They're part of a militant branch of the Emerald Enclave and actively work to restore the natural state of the world. It is mainly composed of Flind, Gnolls, tribal humans (uncivilized mountain folk) and a small number of wild elves.

3) Definitely a large number of the merchant houses, towns, npcs and the like that I've made for Turmish. My favorite being House Irrelude, who are in the process of trying to overthrow the Turmish republic and turn it back into a dictatorship (like it was before that Paladin took down that dragon).
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  01:56:56  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see, hmm....

First off, I'd give every region, I mean EVERY region in Faerun a few pages (same size font as that in 3E FRCS book) of information to help start campaigns in. Then I'd go on to produce a regional book for each and have those regions continually updated on the website.

Once Faerun is covered, I'd quickly move on to Kara-Tur. I'd do the same thing for Zhakara, Maztica, Katashaka, Osse, Anchorome, and the other unknown lands. I'd do one on Realmspace, too. I'd top it off with a planar book for the Realms.

Next would be the churches and deities. I'd get more deity books done like the way they were written in Faiths&Avatars but for ALL deities present and not present in the Realms. (I'd do a spin-off web series of articles detailing older deities or unknown deities in the Realms along with prestige classes or other crunchy bits).

Magic would be another thing I'd heavily cover. I would make sure any non-FR material (for example, Tome of Magic) with magic-like material received a place in the Realms, just like Eberron has a home for everything D&D, too. Thanks to the detail of lands beyond Faerun, this wouldn't cause any continuity problems. Whatever doesn't fit or make sense to have in Faerun can easily fit in other continents or seas. The same would be for races and other material.

With the fluff out the way and updated continously on the web as articles, I'd make most of the cash through "crunch" books for the Realms. Player's Guides, Class Guides, new magic, feats, monsters, etc. Everyone will have the best of both worlds, pretty much.

I'd definitely find a way to get the community involved more and even run contests and such.

Oh, and Ed Greenwood would be my partner rather than the guy WotC seems to only need when they need him to write something important that involves boosting their sales.

If I come up with anything else, I'll edit this.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  03:29:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know... I was mostly interested in what people would bring in, given the option to include their own creations. Saying "I'd run it this way, or publish more of that" is one thing, but I'm looking for people to share their creativity.

What would you bring in and make official, of your own creation?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  05:52:50  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What would you bring in and make official, of your own creation?

-Everything I've made up, that I like?

-I'd definitely create a "consulting team". Not sure who I'd have in it, though (excluding designers, current and past, novelists, current and past, and pseudo designers, current and past). MT, Dan and Rin are the only definites, I think. Sage would be my Osse go-to guy, that's for sure. (Sorry, it was overdue for a reference, I think). I don't know who else...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 03 Dec 2008 05:53:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  06:28:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! I'd rather been known as the "Realms-music go-to guy."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  06:34:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Aboriginal Osse music, then? A compromise?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  07:09:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have actually been thinking about working on a brief write-up for Osse-based music [to compliment my earlier write-up for the musical trends of Evermeet {which is what will likely be submitted to EoF}]. The original draft for my [proposed DRAGON] "Keys to Realms Music: The Heartlands" article didn't really allow me much opportunity to touch on musical trends outside of what we traditionally view as "the Realms." So maybe this is the time.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Dec 2008 07:13:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000