Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Windsong tower
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  00:21:52  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im just wondering if anyone could please tell me if this tower still exicts in the year 1374 DR.

Many thanks!

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  00:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Im just wondering if anyone could please tell me if this tower still exicts in the year 1374 DR.

Many thanks!

Haven't heard that it doesn't exist at that time...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  01:49:30  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is not mentioned at all in either FRCG or FRCG.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  03:07:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-No. As per the Ruins of Myth Drannor, only the bottom-most cellar level is all that remains. Where the tower once stood, glowing motes of magic sprinkle and sparkle.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  03:49:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, it was launched somewhere but we've never found out where. See also the Cormanthyr sourcebook and it's companion, The Fall of Myth Drannor.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  04:41:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only the Tower itself flew away. The remainder of the rest fell to ruin during the Fall or afterward.

Note that the destruction of the extradimensional spaces and rooms and whatnot is unlikely--only their easiest and known physical access points.

Thus, if you know exactly how things were set up in days of yore, you could have the possible chance of accessing those hidden rooms and the treasures within them.

As it was, Steven Schend was being purposefully vague [as well as rushed on that deadline in time and cramped for space in words].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  06:55:45  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's also detailed in the Anauroch adventure book. The physical tower fell to ruin, however, the extradimensional tower that resides in the tree is still present and accounted for, although a little more worn for wear by the time the adventurers get to it.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  00:54:49  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if one wanted access to the "tree" ergo the Nether Scrolls.. What would one have to do?

Any help is greatly needed!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  04:13:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Anauroch: Empire of Shade

The elves who built the school went out of their way to make entry difficult for the uninvited. The shifting entrance to the main tower has been destroyed, along with the structure. Two fairly easy methods of entry remain, however. The first is a portal located in the rubble that marks where the central tower once stood. The second is the wreck of Windsong Aerie; a determined party also might force its way in by breaching the walls of the Shadowsong Tree.

Windsong Tower rings will redirect any portal in Myth Drannor to the tower's entry hall.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  04:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any gate within 5 miles of the city, actually. There's also an extremely rare 7th level spell that allows the caster to use any gate anywhere in at least Realmspace to teleport to the central building of the complex. Requires a Towerkin ring to cast, however.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  14:58:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's also the Greater Windsong Tower rings, they allow you to use any portal to wind up at Windsong Tower.

Both rings also positively affect the teleportation error chances of spells.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  18:46:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So if one wanted access to the "tree" ergo the Nether Scrolls.. What would one have to do?

Any help is greatly needed!

-Ask the Shadovar. If I'm not mistaken, the Shadovar were able to remove the Nether Scrolls with some ease, whereas other entities have labored for years, and still failed.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:50:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not really that the Shadovar succeeded so much. They went to Windsong tower looking for more information on the Book of the Black and discovered the Scrolls there totally by accident. No one knew they were there, so no one was looking for them there. Most just saw it as a ruin of the old school. There are other ways to get in to the tower without a ring or even the portal. Usually would-be intruders were turned by the guardian, but he had been falling into a torpor-like mediation the last few centuries and the Shadovar happened to be looking around while he wasn't paying attention.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:56:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Interesting take Ashe.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:59:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

It's not really that the Shadovar succeeded so much. They went to Windsong tower looking for more information on the Book of the Black and discovered the Scrolls there totally by accident. No one knew they were there, so no one was looking for them there. Most just saw it as a ruin of the old school. There are other ways to get in to the tower without a ring or even the portal. Usually would-be intruders were turned by the guardian, but he had been falling into a torpor-like mediation the last few centuries and the Shadovar happened to be looking around while he wasn't paying attention.

-Hmm...Pretty being coincidence there...

-When I asked Rich Baker, he gave an "actual" reason, which can be looked up, if anyone cares.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 26 Nov 2008 20:00:12
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  20:08:43  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was Rich's reason? I'm only going by what is published in Anauroch:EoS, mind you, so if there are more ideas, I'd love to hear them since I'm gearing up to run the adventure!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  21:45:37  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... Are the scrolls/ the tree no longer in the windsong tower plane in 1374? If not where?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  22:14:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

What was Rich's reason? I'm only going by what is published in Anauroch:EoS, mind you, so if there are more ideas, I'd love to hear them since I'm gearing up to run the adventure!

-I'll have to dig through his replies sometime later. I scanned his current active thread, but I didn't ask in that one. I asked in the previous incarnation of it, which I will poke around and look for.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  04:20:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So... Are the scrolls/ the tree no longer in the windsong tower plane in 1374? If not where?

Okay, this is the SPOILER for the Anauroch adventure, so if you're going to play in it, no peeking!!

The Nether Scrolls were taken in their beech tree form to a site in the Anauroch desert near the city of Shade. There, Sharrans had created a dead magic zone that covered the entire desert, centered on the tree itself. Hadrhune himself is overseeing the corruption of the tree to translate the Nether Scrolls from Weave magic to Shadow Weave. Fortunately, with the help of an ancient elf guardian and the Chalice of Amaunator, the adventurers are able to stop the ritual. Unfortunately, the side effect of the ritual destroys the Sharn Wall and scatters the scrolls (except for one) across the entire face of Toril.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000