Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Many questions about outsiders
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  14:05:57  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow scribes

I have A LOT of questions this morning. All of them regarding outsiders. I will post them as different posts to make it easier to edit if I need to do so

Outsiders... That is a confusing type of monster (well, to me at least). According to the MM, an outsider is at least partially composed of the essence of his plane other than the material plane. It’s also noted that some being may attain the outsider status when they attain a higher or lower state of spiritual existence. It’s soul and body forms one unit, except native outsiders.

So, demon are outsiders: (chaotic, evil), devil: (lawful, evil), elemental of fire (fire). No problem, I get it.

1st question: Monks. When they reach “perfect self” they become an outsider, a magical creature. They are no longer affected by charm person and the like. Since the material plane “produces” no outsider, of which plane is the monk outsider of? By outsider, isn’t it like, somewhere else? I don’t get it.

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  14:06:57  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2nd question: When a demon is killed on the material plane, he’s sent back to the abyss, if he’s killed in the abyss, he’s destroyed forever*. WHY? I understand that their body and soul are one, but what is the link between where they die, and the result from it? If I was an outsider, I would try to leave my home plane forever

*A wish or Revive outsider from Spell compendium can resurrect an outsider.

3rd question: Native outsiders, what the hell does that mean? An Asimaar is descending from good outsiders, tiefling from evil outsiders. Why don’t they share the same attachment then? How can you be part outsider when it’s definition is having a part of the plane’s essence? You have part of it, or you don’t, no?

Edited by - Kilvan on 24 Nov 2008 16:47:14
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  14:07:45  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4th question: In the dark elf trilogy, when Ertuu (sp?) is killed by Drizzt, there is something about him being locked in the abyss for a hundred years, unless he is summoned by the one who killed him. Is it true for any type of outsiders or is it some curse reserved to demons (or tanar’ri)?

5th question: Can you freely travel in and out of the lower (or upper) planes? In Elminster in Hell, the Simbul and Halaster do it without difficulty. I thought you were “locked” once you traveled there, unless you found a portal.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  14:08:30  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
6th question: In neverwinter nights: hordes of the underdark, it is revealed that Mephistopheles used you to switch position as Lord of Cania to a citizen of the material plane. That raises many questions, why was he unable to travel to the material plane considering his tremendous power? Is it true for any citizen of hell?

7th question: Following my sixth question, why would he want to throw his position as the 8th lord of hell anyway? Wouldn’t he be instantly slain by the combined major forces of Faerun if he wrecked too much havoc (if not by the gods themselves)? I also suppose that without the souls of Cania to fuel his powers, he must be greatly weakened up there.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  14:09:22  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
8th question: Githyanki and Githzerai, they are humanoid (extraplanar). What the hell is that? In what do they differ from outsiders? Does charm person works? In expanded psionics handbook, they are now regular humanoid. If it's only because they were regular humanoid who established in limbo/astral plane and that they have no attachment to their plane, then explain why Shades are outsiders. They are native from the material plane and established to the plane of shadow, and they became outsiders.

Ok, that’s enough for today, I know I could go on, trust me. That’ll be for another day. I normally wouldn’t ask so many questions, but now I know you guys are so good at it . If you don't mind me asking more questions, tell me, I have more.

Edited by - Kilvan on 24 Nov 2008 16:44:35
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  14:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monks ... read as: they become some sort of higher being, perfected or elevated self ... which cannot be described as solely human any longer. In game terms - and only game terms - they are considered outsiders for some effects. It is, on the whole, not that much. I would still assume that they remain normal human*s (with an edge) and thus e.g. would normally reproduce as humans.

*Or whatever race takes the class.

2nd ... demons: The Fiendish Codex I explains a lot on that. I'd say when summoned (not gated!) their essence remains in the Abyss. If they walk as whole beings though, within the Abyss or after being Gate'd in, they are utterly destroyed much like undead are. It is better explained in the book.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 24 Nov 2008 14:54:43
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  14:50:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

1st question: Monks. When they reach “perfect self” they become an outsider, a magical creature. They are no longer affected by charm person and the like. Since the material plane “produces” no outsider, of which plane is the monk outsider of? By outsider, isn’t it like, somewhere else? I don’t get it.

When they become an outsider, it means they are so beyond their original race, they are no longer affected by spells that would affect that race. They are the 'perfect' form of their alignment and are considered outsiders with their 'home' plane being the plane the native plane they are from (so, if you try to banish a monk, he doesn't go anywhere, just as if you try to banish a devil in his home plane).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  14:56:52  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

2nd question: When a demon is killed on the material plane, he’s sent back to the abyss, if he’s killed in the abyss, he’s destroyed forever*. WHY? I understand that their body and soul are one, but what is the link between where they die, and the result from it? If I was an outsider, I would try to leave my home plane forever

*A wish or Revive outsider from Spell compendium can resurrect an outsider.

3rd question: Native outsiders, what the hell does that mean? An Asimaar is descending from good outsiders, tiefling from evil outsiders. Why don’t they share the same attachment then? How can you be part outsider when it’s definition of having a part of the plane’s essence? You have part of it, or you don’t, no?

Demons (and devils and everything else) that is on the Material plane effectively are 'traveling' here and still keep a tie to their home plane, kind of like how the lich has a phylactery. Think of it as an 'escape clause'. This is WHY they are always trying to leave their home plane, they know they really can't die in the Material Plane and they can do a lot of things here that will help them gain power.

Native outsiders (as I mentioned in the Monk answer) are so 'different' from the normal in the Material plane that they aren't affected as normal creatures of that plane. But they are native to that plane because that is where they are born (figuratively in the case of the classes and literally in the case of Aasimar and Tieflings), thus meaning they can't be banished unless they travel outside the Material plane.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  14:59:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

4th question: In the dark elf trilogy, when Ertuu (sp?) is killed by Drizzt, there is something about him being locked in the abyss for a hundred years, unless he is summoned by the one who killed him. Is it true for any type of outsiders or is it some curse reserved to demons (or tanar’ri)?

5th question: Can you freely travel in and out of the lower (or upper) planes? In Elminster in Hell, the Simbul and Halaster do it without difficulty. I thought you were “locked” once you traveled there, unless you found a portal.

Both are creative licenses. I always saw Ertuu's imprisonment as a curse placed on him personally as a side effect of the spell used to summon him to the Material Plane.

In regards to Elminster in Hell, Simbul and Halaster are very high-level magic users and they had help from Mystra.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 24 Nov 2008 15:00:15
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  15:07:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

6th question: In neverwinter nights: hordes of the underdark, it is revealed that Mephistopheles used you to switch position as Lord of Cania to a citizen of the material plane. That raises many questions, why was he unable to travel to the material plane considering his tremendous power? Is it true for any citizen of hell?

7th question: Following my sixth question, why would he want to throw his position as the 8th lord of hell anyway? Wouldn’t he be instantly slain by the combined major forces of Faerun if he wrecked too much havoc (if not by the gods themselves)? I also suppose that without the souls of Cania to fuel his powers, he must be greatly weakened up there.

I never played NWN, so I can't answer based on the story. He may have had a curse placed on him similar to Ertuu or he might just not trust his lieutenants enough to be gone for a long time without a backup plan.

As for his reasons? He'd still have all his outsider powers, but would be able to be banished from the Material plane, making him that more powerful. *shrug* Like I said, I'm not sure what NWN was about, so I can only guess at his reasons.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  15:09:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

8th qustion: Githyanki and Githzerai, they are humanoid (extraplanar). What the hell is that? In what do they differ from outsiders? Does charm person works? In expanded psionics handbook, they are now regular humanoid. If it's only because they they were regular humanoid who established in limbo/astral plane and that they have no attachment to their plane, then explain why Shades are outsiders. They are native from the material plane and established to the plane of shadow, and they became outsiders.

Ok, that’s enough for today, I know I could go on, trust me. That’ll be for another day. I normally wouldn’t ask so many questions, but now I know you guys are so good at it . If you don't mind me asking more questions, tell me, I have more.

They are humanoid, so they can be affected by spells like Charm Person and such, but being extraplanar, they can also be affected by things that effect extraplanar creatures. Shades are outsiders because they change what they effectively are, whereas Githyanki and Githzerai are humanoids that evolved on the Astral Plane.

Hope these helped.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 24 Nov 2008 15:10:09
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  15:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Creatures from the lower planes usually dont have the power to travel to the prime material planes when they want to (else Faerun might look a lot different), they usually need to be summoned. Errtu was linked to the crystal shard, so he had boot in the door to the Realms. Before he got killed he could be summoned by anyone, but after getting killed he probably lost the power to answer these summons for some time (100 years) with the exception of the owner of the shard / his killer probably because they were probably linked by the door.

Theoretically it should be possible for characters who know the Gate spell to exit lower planes whenever they want to. This doesnt make great stories however, so DMs generally are better off probably in adding this rule of needing a permanent gate to get out. Gods and rulers of planes probably shut down planar travel in their realms (to prevent adventurers "Gate-crashing" them ...), but not every square inch in the lower planes belongs to a gods realm. In the spots between realms it might be possible to escape with traveling spells.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  15:26:08  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

When they become an outsider, it means they are so beyond their original race, they are no longer affected by spells that would affect that race. They are the 'perfect' form of their alignment and are considered outsiders with their 'home' plane being the plane the native plane they are from (so, if you try to banish a monk, he doesn't go anywhere, just as if you try to banish a devil in his home plane).

But to be an outsider, you must have part of the essence of your home plane in you OTHER than the material plane. It is not the case of monks, or shades, or any planetouched.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  15:28:08  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Demons (and devils and everything else) that is on the Material plane effectively are 'traveling' here and still keep a tie to their home plane, kind of like how the lich has a phylactery. Think of it as an 'escape clause'. This is WHY they are always trying to leave their home plane, they know they really can't die in the Material Plane and they can do a lot of things here that will help them gain power.

Ah, that makes sense. I love your comparaison with a lich's phylactery. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  15:30:19  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In regards to Elminster in Hell, Simbul and Halaster are very high-level magic users and they had help from Mystra.

Then if I want to plane shift freely in hell, what do I need? Is there a point where your "caster level" is stronger than the plane itself or is it some kind of epic spell?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  17:19:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But to be an outsider, you must have part of the essence of your home plane in you OTHER than the material plane. It is not the case of monks, or shades, or any planetouched.

Hence the 'Native' moniker. Basically, it's just a game rule to show that they are no longer humanoid (or whatever their base type was), thus no longer affected by those spells/effects, yet they cannot be banished.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  17:21:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Then if I want to plane shift freely in hell, what do I need? Is there a point where your "caster level" is stronger than the plane itself or is it some kind of epic spell?

Well, considering that El's level 35 (CR 39 with Chosen template, Caster level is around 29) and he need the help of his goddess and some high-level allies to escape hell, I'd say you REALLY need high-powered mojo. Demigod or above level.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  17:24:35  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hence the 'Native' moniker. Basically, it's just a game rule to show that they are no longer humanoid (or whatever their base type was), thus no longer affected by those spells/effects, yet they cannot be banished.

I agree with you all the way. But in that case, then the term "outsider" is ill-chosen IMO, for he may be above regular humanoid, he is not bound to any planes.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  17:33:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree with you all the way. But in that case, then the term "outsider" is ill-chosen IMO, for he may be above regular humanoid, he is not bound to any planes.

Not so! He is bound to the Material Plane.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000