Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 shade physiology
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  22:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can somebody clue me in to where I can find some stats on the physiological makeup of shades?

Specifically, I'm looking for things like body temperature, metabolism, and more basic things like sweating, eating, etc. I don't believe they're all that different than your average run-of- the-mill human in those respects but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  22:44:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know that any non-third party book has gone into that much detail for any race.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  22:55:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't know that any non-third party book has gone into that much detail for any race.

From the time of 1st Edition Shades (Monster Manual II, pg 108) Shades go through substantial changes...but like Wooly said, NOTHING like what you are asking for.

In first edition they would actually regenerate lost limbs (all but the head that is); and they would live forever if not killed (being also immunie to disease).

They are not undead however, and they eat, drink and even breed; though I would say that their children are NOT shades.

My wizard (Dalor Darden) became a Shade a LONG time ago...so I'm a little fuzzy on what we talked about back then; but really, the information hasn't changed a great deal on them.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  00:49:58  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool...uncharted territory for me to explore.

I'm putting together a novel of sorts for the 'Keep (in..sigh....4th ed...) in which the shades factor in pretty heavily, and I'm trying to do a grittier examination of them, so...hopefully my leaps of faith on how they sweat and whether or not they get cold won't disappoint.

Thanks guys!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  01:55:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Cool...uncharted territory for me to explore.

I'm putting together a novel of sorts for the 'Keep (in..sigh....4th ed...) in which the shades factor in pretty heavily, and I'm trying to do a grittier examination of them, so...hopefully my leaps of faith on how they sweat and whether or not they get cold won't disappoint.

Thanks guys!

The 4E FRCG talks about Shades briefly, as well as the 3E FRCS. The FRCG has a power option template that can be used. Nothing on make up of the Shade as a whole. It does indicate that the Shade is as it's race, prior to becoming a Shade, and that not all shades come from Netheril.

Additionally, Paul Kemp's novels surrounding Cale, as well as the RothAW trilogy, have some insight on Shades.

Edited by - scererar on 24 Nov 2008 02:43:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  02:47:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd assume that in most regards, Shades are similar to humans. Their dietary needs would likely be somewhat different, but I think that that would be the major difference (aside from the shady thing, of course).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  02:57:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Without getting into the entire template, here is a bit from the 4E FRCG page 260

"A shade retains its original appearance, but with a gaunt, drawn look. Its skin takes on a dull hue, and its eyes become slightly luminous. It no longer needs to eat or sleep, and its aging slows to a crawl. As a shade grows older, its appearance becomes darker and more monstrous, with strange features such as sharp teeth. “Shade” is a template that can be added to any humanoid creature; most shades were once human. A shade can fill any role or be a member of any class."

From the 3E FRCS Version page 314

"Shades were once humanoids, but they have traded their souls for the essence of shadowstuff. Most shades appear as humanoids of their former height and appearance, but with grayish or nearly black, dusky skin and veiled eyes. They are often thinner than normal for their races. They favor somber clothing and wear armor if they so desire. Shades can speak whatever languages they knew before their transformations. Shades have an affinity for shadow, and their capabilities are linked to the light conditions around them. They gain powerful abilities any time they are within shadows or darkness, but in bright light they are all but ordinary mortals.

I have hopes that we will see more detail on Shades from DDI or other power options sources that are slated to come out.

Edited by - scererar on 24 Nov 2008 03:02:29
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  04:18:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess I hadn't read enough on Shades in 4e...they are VASTLY different from Shades in earlier versions...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  07:29:50  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At first glance I would say that Shades should have the same physical characteristics regarding body temperature as the base creature, but when I apply my "RL logic" I would say they need to be different. Why? The Shades have lived on the Plane of Shadows for some time and there is no sun there. The sun does help with the surrounding temperature a lot, thus their bodies are probably used to a lot colder temperatures and probably couldnt really stand the sun or a desert climate. The difference might not be that great, but maybe comparable to the sunburn which people with very light skin are prone to get when they expose themselves to the sun without appropriate protection. So there might be some special protective clothing the Shades could have developed ...

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  15:38:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

<snip>
...probably couldnt really stand the sun or a desert climate...

Wonder if someone should have mentioned this to the Shadovar...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  15:39:59  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

<snip>
...probably couldnt really stand the sun or a desert climate...

Wonder if someone should have mentioned this to the Shadovar...

Haha , sweet, sweet irony.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  16:51:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I would ask Paul Kemp what he thinks. Mind you, the information isn't there anywhere, so it's up to everyone to make it up, but I would think he has some insight and interesting ideas concerning Shades.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  01:14:32  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I would ask Paul Kemp what he thinks. Mind you, the information isn't there anywhere, so it's up to everyone to make it up, but I would think he has some insight and interesting ideas concerning Shades.

Well Kemp does describe Cale casting spells of protection from the cold temperatures of Cania. I do not recall him casting spells while on the plan of shadows.
His novels also depict day time vs night time, or while in shadow powers.

Funny what the other poster indicated about desert, due to Netheril. However, that has been slowly changing over the past 100 years of FR time line.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000