Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Off-topicness at Candlekeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  16:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome--it's a pleasure posting here.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  18:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Erik, do you mind if I borrow this and modify it slightly? We're presently revising the Candlekeep Code of Conduct for Candlekeep 2, and I'd like to add something like this to it.

Knock yourself out . . . though not literally! I, like many others in this thread in specific and on the boards in general, highly respect and appreciate the good work you admins/mods do on a daily basis--contending with all us Realmsian nuts!

Also a general note to all those making an effort to police their posts keenly: Speaking for myself and I imagine for my fellow members, it's all very much appreciated.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Another big exception I think should be Ed's thread - [snip] that thread should be given at least slighty more leeway then most.
I do like to allow a certain amount of "off-topicness" in Ed's scroll, mostly because the Lady Hooded One herself enjoys a little subtle [and no-so-subtle ] banter from time to time.

Agreed whole-heartedly. It's hard to get off topic when dealing with a man like Ed, whose mind encompasses several worlds and is equally active in all of them at all times . . . or his awesome messenger angel, THO.

quote:
But it's when full-blown discussions start that have very little, if anything, to do with one of Ed's replys, that I have to step in and ask that the discussion be taken to another scroll.

Good call.

I know that happens on my Sages scroll occasionally as well. Who are those masked rascals who keep bringing up mechwarrior?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  19:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Agreed whole-heartedly. It's hard to get off topic when dealing with a man like Ed, whose mind encompasses several worlds and is equally active in all of them at all times . . . or his awesome messenger angel, THO.

You mean hard not to get off-topic?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  22:44:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also a general note to all those making an effort to police their posts keenly: Speaking for myself and I imagine for my fellow members, it's all very much appreciated.
Indeed. I've noticed this myself. Sometimes we Mods tend to miss things, so it's re-assuring to know that most scribes here are vigilant enough to maintain their own posts at times.

Additionally, I'd also like to thank those scribes who occasionally alert us to troublesome posts or scribes causing problems in other scrolls. I won't name any particular members of Candlekeep, but know that your efforts are greatly appreciated.
quote:
Heh. I just find it difficult trying to keep on track whenever the Lady Hooded One is around!
quote:
I know that happens on my Sages scroll occasionally as well. Who are those masked rascals who keep bringing up mechwarrior?
Wooly strikes again!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Nov 2008 22:45:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  23:01:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wooly strikes again!

Typical Cappie response: blame the Davions for your own shortcomings!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  00:06:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Wow so this topic on going off topic, goes off topic. Sorry about some of my off topic banter, I am used to the way another forum works.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  02:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I mean that in that scroll, the topic sort of has a tendency to expand to include all potential topics.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  11:13:45  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm suprised I haven't been assasinated here yet for any spamming or off topicness...the mods do do a great job, and I frequent a certain Halomovieonline forum in which I got banned a few days from. I was bored one night at like 4 am so I "spammed" a whole lot, which means I replied to very old and forgotten topcs, and made some apparently rude jokes
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  11:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are usually way more easy on that forum too, comepared to here, it's much less professional
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  14:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I mean that in that scroll, the topic sort of has a tendency to expand to include all potential topics.

Cheers

Ah, I see. And I agree.

Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  06:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, even the thread about whether threads go off-topic ends up going off-topic. Irony, anyone...?

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  19:34:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there an echo in here?

Anyhow, to bring this back On-Topic (even though I've already said my peace), I think we have the PERFECT balance of right now. We do keep it somewhat light-hearted, while not sinking into idiocy.

Thats not an easy line to walk, and I once-again commend the mods for the precarious balance they are able to somehow maintain.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  00:54:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't know which is funnier, you catching Sage's faux pas.......or him ignoring you doing so

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  04:11:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

I don't know which is funnier, you catching Sage's faux pas.......or him ignoring you doing so

What did I miss?

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  10:10:51  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

there does, to me, seem to be a lot more off topic or one line comments in many threads lately, making it annoying to read through some threads.
Heh. Indeed, I've noticed a slight increase in this myself. [Though, sometimes, I've been just as responsible for said off-topicness].

How do other scribes feel about this issue?

[/quote]

I don't mind it when a thread goes off-topic. I either stop reading or skim to where it picks up. Nearly every culture I've met likes humour so it's not surprising that one-liners appear in conversations. Conversations, as Nerfed2Hell said, are organic. They can and do wander.

Generally, I think the moderators do a great job nudging threads back on-topic. It's a light touch, which means things don't wander too far away from topic but ensures that conversation doesn't get killed.

Overly moderated boards tend to die because posters feel that they can't talk so they go where they can.

I've yet to have a real life conversation where we didn't go off-topic with witty asides. In most cases we quickly return to topic.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  13:24:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Generally, I think the moderators do a great job nudging threads back on-topic. It's a light touch, which means things don't wander too far away from topic but ensures that conversation doesn't get killed.

Overly moderated boards tend to die because posters feel that they can't talk so they go where they can.
That's a good point, and one I've long tried to maintain when moderating certain discussions here at Candlekeep. Sometimes I feel it's appropriate to simply let a brief period of "off-topicness" run its course. Its fun, and sometimes it generates something new that can be added to the ongoing topical discussion. Other times, I have to step in -- either quickly or frequently -- to prevent the off-topicness from spinning out of control.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Feb 2009 13:25:05
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  14:26:36  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a good point, and one I've long tried to maintain when moderating certain discussions here at Candlekeep. Sometimes I feel it's appropriate to simply let a brief period of "off-topicness" run its course. Its fun, and sometimes it generates something new that can be added to the ongoing topical discussion. Other times, I have to step in -- either quickly or frequently -- to prevent the off-topicness from spinning out of control.

I think you do a good job of deciding when to stop the off-topicness and when to let it run it's course. I know I go off topic a lot, but the few times you have stopped it, it seemed appropriate when you did.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  15:39:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's pretty much been my stance, too. Especially since I'm as prone to wandering off topic as anyone else!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  15:42:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm only active on two forums, but I almost left the other one because of a moderator. He wasn't modding too much, but what he was doing was abusing his moderator status. When he changed one of my posts to reflect his opinions, I went ballistic. The fact that the site owner and one of the other mods on that site worked with me over the whole issue is the only reason I stayed. I still can't stand that particular moderator, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  16:18:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how this topic has drifted to a lovefest for the Mods

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  16:29:51  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A moderator is like a chairman/woman at a meeting. They encourage debate but make sure that the points of the meeting are discussed.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  16:31:19  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's nothing wrong with telling people we appreciate them. Especially since they do this for free.

Besides, they're more likely to let us go off-topic if we're nice to them.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  16:33:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see nothing wrong with that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  16:34:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There's nothing wrong with telling people we appreciate them. Especially since they do this for free.

Ah, the cunning plan is revealed!

Carry on!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  16:39:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Are you assuming I was being sarcastic?

And as for doing this for free....they get a key to the CDG dormitory way before we can earn one

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  20:10:51  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you assuming I was being sarcastic?

Me? Oh no, never.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  22:55:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm only active on two forums, but I almost left the other one because of a moderator. He wasn't modding too much, but what he was doing was abusing his moderator status. When he changed one of my posts to reflect his opinions, I went ballistic. The fact that the site owner and one of the other mods on that site worked with me over the whole issue is the only reason I stayed. I still can't stand that particular moderator, though.
I recall that incident. And it's something similar to what I've experienced on the CBT boards as well. Though I brought the matter to the head site admin and the moderator eventually lost his status because of what he did to some of my posts.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  22:57:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

A moderator is like a chairman/woman at a meeting. They encourage debate but make sure that the points of the meeting are discussed.

Aye. But the chairperson usually doesn't make a habit of entering new off-topic points into a debate -- like some of the Mods here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  09:14:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... who can tell me who it was that played bass on the Elvis Costello song Veronica?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  09:47:28  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

So... who can tell me who it was that played bass on the Elvis Costello song Veronica?

Well, assuming it really is him, I would say Paul McCartney.

Of course, the real debate in the music world is Anette Olzon or Tarja Turunen.

Getting back on-topic, how does your post relate to threads going off-topic?

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000