Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Non-Realms Realms Novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  19:49:35  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am sure this has been asked but I couldn't find it. What non-Wizards/TSR novel has the most realmsian feel or even D&D feel to you?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  20:41:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Lord of the Rings?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  20:51:17  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guardians of the Flame series...
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  20:53:38  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Swords series by Saberhagen...
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  20:56:23  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Lord of the Rings?

well, that one is a tad obvious

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  21:02:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCalewell, that one is a tad obvious

-That's why I added that question mark.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  21:17:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Michael Stackpole's ONCE A HERO book might well have been a Realms novel, if he and the then-head of TSR's Books Department could have reached agreement on the terms of publishing it.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  21:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly certain that one could read Fritz Liebers' Lankhmar stories and find a lot of influences that are now in the Realms. Granted, Ningauble and company, perhaps not (unless you make them illithids and replace magic with psionics), but Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser would feel right at home in Waterdeep or Suzail....

Steven
a supporter of the classics....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  23:44:21  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I believe Michael Stackpole's ONCE A HERO book might well have been a Realms novel, if he and the then-head of TSR's Books Department could have reached agreement on the terms of publishing it.
love to all,
THO

well, thats an interesting tidbit. I kind of like his Star wars stuff

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  06:31:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

love to all,
THO

I loved that book! That was one I made a point of replacing as quickly as I could, after the fire...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  06:33:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

love to all,
THO

I first discovered Stackpole thru his BattleTech stuff, and his books remain my faves from the series -- there are some other fave BT novels, but the majority are the ones he wrote.

I've only read one of his Star Wars novels, but I very much enjoyed it. One of these days I'll have to track down the Rogue Squadron stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  06:36:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

I'm fairly certain that one could read Fritz Liebers' Lankhmar stories and find a lot of influences that are now in the Realms. Granted, Ningauble and company, perhaps not (unless you make them illithids and replace magic with psionics), but Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser would feel right at home in Waterdeep or Suzail....

Steven
a supporter of the classics....

You know, before I discovered the series of tubes, it took me years of prowling my local used book store to build even a mostly-complete set of the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser books. Now, with the internet and (at least some of) them having been republished, I wonder how long it will take to replace them (once I have a regular income again, that is)? I'm thinking it will be like me getting my first copy of FR4 The Magister -- I searched for it for years, discovered eBay, and had it in hand two weeks later.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  07:30:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

love to all,
THO

I first discovered Stackpole thru his BattleTech stuff, and his books remain my faves from the series -- there are some other fave BT novels, but the majority are the ones he wrote.
Heh. No surprises there.
quote:
I've only read one of his Star Wars novels, but I very much enjoyed it. One of these days I'll have to track down the Rogue Squadron stuff.
I'd also recommend Stackpole fans check out his "Rogue Squadron" comics from Dark Horse. They're almost as enjoyable as the novels themselves.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  13:37:45  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I'd also recommend Stackpole fans check out his "Rogue Squadron" comics from Dark Horse. They're almost as enjoyable as the novels themselves.

I second that recommendation

Go to Top of Page

zoso1977
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  16:24:40  Show Profile  Visit zoso1977's Homepage Send zoso1977 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest
Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
The Dragon Prince Series by Melanie Rawn
The Riftwar Series by Raymond Feist which is by far my favorite series of books

-David

We are drifting in blind orbits helpless and alone-Jim Morrison
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  16:44:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  17:37:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zoso1977

I would suggest
Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
The Dragon Prince Series by Melanie Rawn
The Riftwar Series by Raymond Feist which is by far my favorite series of books

-David

While I can quite readily agree on Feist (he's one of my fave authors), I can't agree on The Sword of Shannara. For me, that book suffers from two major flaws.

The first is that when the group is told one person won't make it to the other side of the mountain, but will be the first to find the Sword, this is somehow translated as "One of us is going to die!". I can not see anything approaching logic in that conclusion, yet everyone thought that way.

The other flaw is that while I did enjoy The Sword of Shannara, it is, in essence, a truncated version of The Lord of the Rings.

Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  17:56:32  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  18:05:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]The other flaw is that while I did enjoy The Sword of Shannara, it is, in essence, a truncated version of The Lord of the Rings.
Ø

Well, Brooks did change the characters' names, used a sword instead of a ring, and, you know, used goblins instead of orcs

Seriously, does anyone know if Tolkien's estate is getting a part of the royalties from this one? I can't think of a more obvious rip-off of a previously published work since Vergilius wrote the Aenead.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 15 Nov 2008 18:05:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  19:33:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

[quote]The other flaw is that while I did enjoy The Sword of Shannara, it is, in essence, a truncated version of The Lord of the Rings.
Ø

Well, Brooks did change the characters' names, used a sword instead of a ring, and, you know, used goblins instead of orcs

Seriously, does anyone know if Tolkien's estate is getting a part of the royalties from this one? I can't think of a more obvious rip-off of a previously published work since Vergilius wrote the Aenead.

I think that if you change enough details, it's not something that would require the payment of royalties. And, to be fair, we don't know that Brooks intended to so closely parallel an existing tale -- I think it more likely that it just worked out (thru story evolution, or editing changes, or some combination thereof) to be a quite similar story.

It's like that book Eragon -- I doubt the kid who wrote it did so with the intention of ripping off any existing story. But Eragon is basically Star Wars IV: A New Hope, told as a straight fantasy tale.

Deliberately ripping off a known story has too many problems -- not the least of which is the payment of royalties, like you mentioned. Plus, I can't see any person who hopes to be a successful writer doing so by tweaking someone else's story.

Also, it's been said more than once that it's nearly impossible to tell a truly original tale now, with the vast number that have been told in some form or other.

So all in all, while I will say the stories I mentioned are little more than retellings of more popular tales, I'd say this was more accidental than deliberate, and not an intentional rip-off.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Nov 2008 19:35:27
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  19:40:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

I was never a fan of the Wheel of Time...though it was good; they were just too drawn out for my little amount of time.

Now, something I always DID love from Robert Jordan were his Conan novels...those are worth reading.

Other shorts by R.E. Howard with Conan are good reads too.

I'm really addicted to Conan stories because they have plenty of action, explore a decent fantasy world and don't take a lot of time to read.

Too bad nothing new/good has come out on Conan...and I guess it never will. I did try my hand at some Hyborian Fiction once upon a time though...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  19:49:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Ø

Shannara wasn't the only type founded on Tolkien's works.

I rather thought Birthright was loosely based upon the Lord of the Rings as well...loosely I should add.

The whole Gorgon's Crown smacked of Mordor to me...

I actually liked the idea of the setting; but it was too small really...and was very hard to see how no major nation had emerged in so many hundreds of years. A whole continent without a single nation bigger than a Duchy just didn't pan out for me...

I should say though that I did like the setting; I just thought it needed some work. Like expanded scale and perhaps a few more powerful nations.

There was one other novel I remember reading about twenty years ago that was almost a true rip-off of Lord of the Rings...but I can't for the life of me remember the title...I tossed the thing in the garbage after about half way through. I barely remember anything about it, but pretty much if you replace Hobbits with swamp dwelling midgets, rangers with swamp running "protectors" and Sauron with a "fell and dark spirit" and then flip the map over from left to right then you can just go ahead and say you have read it so long as you have read Lord of the Rings.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  01:32:50  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thieves' World: http://www.thievesworld.info/

Good stuff.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  16:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

After book 10 I decided to wait until the series was finished before I would continue reading it. Book 8 was disappointing inasmuch the plot did not seem to move at all, book 9 got my hopes up the the plot would move along, and book 10 squelched all hopes I had of the plot moving along. Neither do I agree that the WoT has a "Realmsian" feel to it. Once a Hero (first mentioned by THO above) definitely has a Realmsian feel to me, and it is one of my favorite novels. I also really enjoy Stackpole's Dark Glory War. And, though it is set in the world of the movie Willow, I really think that Chris Claremont's Chronicles of the Shadow War (i.e. Shadow Moon, Shadow Dawn, and Shadow Star) has a very Realms feel. I have read the first novel at least 13 times.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  17:48:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I also really enjoy Stackpole's Dark Glory War.

Oh, I loved that one! All of the customs with the masks were interesting, too. The rest of the Dragoncrown War Saga was also good.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  18:45:11  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Song of Fire and Ice books by George RR Martin.

The only risk in starting them is the chances go up everyday that he wont be able to finish them!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  23:04:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, I loved that one! All of the customs with the masks were interesting, too. The rest of the Dragoncrown War Saga was also good.

I've only just picked up the "Dragoncrown War Saga" from a local bookstore. I'll be reading it, along with a few other long-missed popular fantasy titles over the summer.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  23:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the rest of the Dragoncrown War Saga, just not as much as the first book.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  23:17:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I've only just picked up the "Dragoncrown War Saga" from a local bookstore. I'll be reading it, along with a few other long-missed popular fantasy titles over the summer.

I trust you also picked up Dark Glory War? It's a prequel to the Dragoncrown War.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  00:38:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I almost overlooked it, initially, but the book store clerk was rather helpful in that regard.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  15:05:46  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Thieves' World: http://www.thievesworld.info/

Good stuff.

which is the best of those books?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000