Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  11:56:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

Hi George...when did the Elven realm within the Gray Forest, finally fall?????

Which one?

The following timeline entries may be of assistance (all dates in DR):

-6850 The moon elves of the Yuirwood travel to the forest of Saerdath (Modern: Gray Forest), and establish the realm of Larlotha.

-2457 The Nar defeat the hobgoblin hordes in battle and force them west and south into the uninhabited lands of Caerthiilor where the hobgoblins establish the realm of Haekrukkha. The Nar humans settle the plains on the northern fringes of the Riildath.

c. -2440 The hobgoblins of Haekrukkha raid the forests of Larlotha for the first time, beginning over a century of skirmishes, attacks and invasions between the two realms.

-2287 In response to forest fires lit by the hobgoblins of Haekrukkha, the elves of Larlotha begin their final, genocidal war against the humanoids.

-2284 The dwarves of the Earthfast Mountains ally with the moon elves of Larlotha against the hobgoblins.

-2281 The hobgoblins of Haekrukkha are defeated and their realm is shattered by the combined forces of the dwarves and moon elves. The elves of Larlotha, led by their warrior-queen Eldratha, suffer grievously in the final battles losing almost a whole generation of young elves in the fighting. The few surviving hobgoblins flee to the sanctuary of the Giantspire Mountains.

-1335 The moon elves of Larlotha begin a Retreat to Cormanthyr with the marriage of their ruler and queen Ildranna “Starflowers” to Coronal Miirphys of that realm. Within fifty winters only small pockets of elves reside within the Gray Forest.

75 Year of Clinging Death
Several clans of moon elves from Rilithar in the Sword Coast North, arrive in the Gray Forest via a portal and establish the realm of Vedrymmell. They ally with the fugitive Crown Prince Baranth of Impiltur who in turn recognises their sovereignty over the woodlands.

77 Year of the Quivering Mountains
With the aid of the moon elves of Vedrymmell, Crown Prince Baranth defeats the treasonous Morlorn, “the Usurper King”, at the Battle of Ilithra’s Smile and is crowned king of Impiltur. The Obarskyrs are exiled from the realm.

As for the "end" of Vedrymmell as an elven realm, I haven't quite worked that out. That end has something to do with a lack of High Magic (see the High Magic chapter in the "Cormanthyr" accessory for an undetailed lore hook) and my feeling is that by 350 DR or so whatever disaster it is that brings this realm down, has occurred leaving a few small clans still resident there but no coherent elven realm.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  12:31:30  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanx for all that it adds a lot of grist for the piece i'm cobbling together for Lisenar (Flooded Forest elf realm)....Vedrymells demise was what I was aiming for but all of the above is fantastic........wow!!!!!

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  13:24:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone was asking for information on Clan Ironshield. Here's a little bit of stuff that may assist.

Clan Ironshield was one of the original clans of Delzoun, the great Northkingdom of the dwarves. Named for its legendary founder Jangarak Ironshield and the relic that his ancestors had forged in long-ago Shanatar, Clan Ironshield was born on Jangarak's wedding day when he wed the golden-bearded Dauraela Stoneshield and adopted many of her kinfolk into his burgeoning family (the Stoneshield clan was the largest clan of the North in those days, numbering many thousand dwarves - dwarves who were always keen to strike out from the strict clan traditions and conventions that bound their lives and limited their opportunities: to this day dwarven "longbeards" will describe a rogue dwarf or dwarven group/clan as "stone-shouldered").

The fortunes of Clan Ironshield improved greatly as the centuries passed, their industry and battle-might growing winter by winter, culminating in the marriage of Rorrina Ironshield to the then King of Delzoun Dornarn in -2151 DR (after Dornarn, the kings of Delzoun did not reign along familial lines but were rather elected at a great clan conclave on the passing or fall of the incumbent monarch. Dwarves so chosen were required to leave their clan and become "of the Delzoun", ruling for the good of all Northkingdom dwarves).

From that time, Clan Ironshield's star waxed and waned in typical fashion as the centuries passed. They developed a reputation as one of the more warlike clans of Delzoun and were credited with the creation of several unique and impressive magic items of power that established their reputation in that regard. Chief of these creations were spellbane hammers (magic warhammers that on command would levitate in the air and absorb all incoming hostile spells - up to a certain amount of levels - that were intended to be used against any hostile incursion from Netheril) and axe gauntlets (mithral gauntlets which on command and one-time only would unleash a flurry of 'force axes' all around the wearer for a short period that moved with the triggerer).

Clan Ironshield produced many dwarves feted in tales and songs of the Stout Folk, but history and the long memories of dwarves give particular honour to two very different members of that clan. The first was Dennin Ironshield known to all as the "Skald of Battle". Dennin was a bard, and as dwarves reckon such matters, an extremely talented one. His epic poems and songs delighted many and he was a known carouser and drinker of prodigious ability. Dennin was also a battlerager known for being absolutely fearless in the fray, so much so that even his fellow battleragers grudgingly acknowledged that he was without peer in terms of fearlessness in battle. His ferocity in combat was complemented by screaming songs of bloodthirstiness and the orcs of the mountains would flee at the first sound of him. His repetoire consisted of several of these "blood songs", most of which were magical in nature and provided benefits in terms of strength, stamina and the ability to unnerve opponents.

The second "most famous" Ironshield was the warrior Glyir "Wyrmhunter", son of Phlyir. A beardless stripling when he and his family were set upon by an adult red dragon when some days distant from Mirabar, Glyir managed to shoot a heavy crossbow bolt into each eye of the dragon, blinding it and making it an easy target for his warrior companions. From that day, Gliyr rose swiftly in the ranks of Clan Ironshield until he was made clan champion (or "kuldalagh" - valorous axe). Preparing the warriors of Clan Ironshield, he led them on an astonishing three, successful dragonmoots in consecutive years, bringing down three wyrms of the Morueme clan of dragons and leading to a detente between those wyrms and the Northkingdom. For this reason and his elimination of this everpresent threat to the realm, he was celebrated throughout Delzoun such that stories and tales of his exploits are to this day, still recounted around hearths in Citadel Adbar.

The demise of Clan Ironshield has its genesis in the fast friendship between clanlord Tol Ironshield and clanlord Bunko Battlehammer that saw both groups of dwarves abandon their holds in and around the environs of Citadel Adbar and in -630 DR march north and west in search of the lost mines of Gharraghaur. In doing so they followed in the steps of Clan Sstar and Clan Ironstar and as with those two clans, severed their ties of mutual security with the bulk of the Northkingdom dwarves. Once mithral was discovered, it was agreed between Tol and Bunko that the more numerous Ironshield dwarves would fortify the lower mountain regions, carving out and protecting trade routes to allow riches for both clans to flow. Clan Ironshield was also used by the secretive dwarves of Clan Ironstar to bring their forged finery to markets south of the mountains at the headwaters of the River Surbrin and as a consequence grew very rich.

However their exposed position in Settlestone and the enormous weight of orc numbers that saw first Delzoun proper fall in -100 DR and then Ironstar conquered in 207 DR, spelt the doom of the clan. Harried by ever-encroaching orc raids and then by the attention of two separate rapacious hill giant clans, Clan Ironshield buckled under the strain of maintaining the trade routes that were Mithral Hall's lifeblood. By 225 DR, after the depredations of the orc horde of Gluthtor, the surviving dwarves of Clan Ironshield were absorbed into Clan Battlehammer or trekked west to Mirabar where their small numbers eventually lost their clan identity. Settlestone was abandoned and all of Mithral Hall's trade was conducted by means of underground trade routes.

So passed the storied Clan Ironshield, although there are at least two dwarven families, in Mirabar and Waterdeep respectively, who still lay claim to the clan name and the traditions of Delzoun. With the Thunder Blessing and the turnaround in dwarven fortunes, the future may well see this clan rise once again to prominence in the North.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 08 Nov 2014 06:24:19
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  13:44:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Lore George!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  14:38:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is some impressive, well-written stuff, friend Krash.

Especially about a group that killed so many of your "kin"!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  14:42:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very impressive George. Any chance you can tell me a little more about the works/songs of the 'Skald of Battle?'

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  15:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for info about Alashar Crywinds (the wife of Telamont Tanthul).

BTW great stuff Krash, I'll have to look into earlier replies... Manshoon's family is worth saving on my HDD.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  09:07:24  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,

How canonical is the above Ironshield piece? Of course, you probably know where I'm going with this... how canonical are terms like "stone-shouldered" and "kuldalagh" for inclusion in the 'Realmspeak' glossary?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  10:46:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Very impressive George. Any chance you can tell me a little more about the works/songs of the 'Skald of Battle?'

I knew that the reference would get you excited.

I've got a few thoughts which I'll likely get into some decent format in a week or so. Basically, they are additions to the bardic music repetoire.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  10:53:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Someone one asking for information on Clan Ironshield. Here's a little bit of stuff that may assist.

Thank you very very much George for this and the Elven lore in the previous post.

Warms the soul to see such rich Realmslore.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  10:58:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I'm looking for info about Alashar Crywinds (the wife of Telamont Tanthul).

BTW great stuff Krash, I'll have to look into earlier replies... Manshoon's family is worth saving on my HDD.

Sorry don't have anymore information on Alashar Crywinds, other than what you have already in the sources. I could make up some stuff but that might step on Paul Kemp's toes - given he's a lawyer, I don't want to run the risk of getting sued!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  11:00:58  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

George,

How canonical is the above Ironshield piece? Of course, you probably know where I'm going with this... how canonical are terms like "stone-shouldered" and "kuldalagh" for inclusion in the 'Realmspeak' glossary?

As George is an Ed acknowledged "Loremaster of the Realms" consider it canon, to doubt so would be the work of Cyric

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  12:17:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

George,

Not sure how to answer that. If you regard everything that I write as 'canonical', then the answer to your question is "very". If you think I'm just regurgitating published realmslore or giving you the contents of secret Ed realmslore missives, then the answer is "not so much". Canon, shmanon - if you like what I've written, then for you it should be as canon as canon can be.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  22:57:27  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,

Has there ever been a line of Damaran Kings developed? (either pre- or post- glacier advance/receding)

and while i'm asking what about Sossal too? (since we know when the LAST one was, just not much else)

I'm guessing 'twould be easy to run the Bloodfeathers line back only 3 centuries hehe

i know it was a shoehorn not in Ed's original Realms and perhaps that's why it was one of the few monarchies that didn't receive any GHotR love

Thanks in advance

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 14 Jun 2010 23:59:54
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  22:58:24  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
edit above:

i meant that Damara wasn't in Ed's original ... not Sossal as I believe it was

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  01:22:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I knew that the reference would get you excited.

I've got a few thoughts which I'll likely get into some decent format in a week or so. Basically, they are additions to the bardic music repetoire.

-- George Krashos
Ooooh! Very nice. I'm looking forward to it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  04:13:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,

Do you have any further information regarding Aubayreer Mindosel of Teshar?

I'm looking for a particular individual that may have been somewhat influential in a manner of speaking within "The Ride" and wanted to make sure I didn't contradict anything.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  17:47:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Teshar really isn't all that close to the Ride in relative terms and as for Aubayreer, Eric and I always thought that he'd spent little of his life, save for his childhood and adolescence, in Teshar proper. Eric alluded to this in his GHotR snippet (p.62) and I always focused more on his time after he'd arrived in the eastern lands of Impiltur and then his founding of Milvarn.

Just what information were you after?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  17:58:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

George,

Has there ever been a line of Damaran Kings developed? (either pre- or post- glacier advance/receding)

and while i'm asking what about Sossal too? (since we know when the LAST one was, just not much else)

I'm guessing 'twould be easy to run the Bloodfeathers line back only 3 centuries hehe

i know it was a shoehorn not in Ed's original Realms and perhaps that's why it was one of the few monarchies that didn't receive any GHotR love

Thanks in advance

Hmm, missed this post from a while back.

The lineages contained in GHotR were made up of Steven's existing Tethyr line, his unfinished and unpublished Amnian line (which I tidied up), the unpublished and still undetailed Cormyrean line and Eric's Westgate lineage. Other lineages like Aglarond, Dambrath, and Silverymoon existed but had never been cobbled together in that form. I'd done the Velprin one when I had formalised Impiltur so that one was "waiting in the wings" as it were. The only ones created specifically for that book (and done in a mad rush I might add) were Narfell and Raumathar. If I'd had more time, I'd have done Sossal, Illusk/Luskan, Damara and likely the Netherese survivor states. Calimshan is doable - and I have a rough outline for it - but would be by far the biggest of them all and wouldn't have been done for that product no matter the lead time!

So, in a long-winded way, the anser is: no, there haven't been lineages formalised for Damara and Sossal. That's not to say I don't have any ideas for these, but I'm inclined to devote my (always short) leisure time to other projects.

Sounds like a good opportunity for someone here at the Keep to come up with something.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  18:18:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Teshar really isn't all that close to the Ride in relative terms and as for Aubayreer, Eric and I always thought that he'd spent little of his life, save for his childhood and adolescence, in Teshar proper. Eric alluded to this in his GHotR snippet (p.62) and I always focused more on his time after he'd arrived in the eastern lands of Impiltur and then his founding of Milvarn.

Just what information were you after?

-- George Krashos

I was considering Teshar's proximity to the Citadel of the Raven, the fact that Aubayreer came into possession of a powerful tome, and the possibility of his venturing in the lands of The Ride where he may have acquired that tome.

I've been digging around various areas in a manner to find those individuals that may have had something to do with The Ride or those places closely affiliated with it.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  15:29:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which "powerful tome" are we talking about?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  17:21:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I see what you did there, Mr. Krashos. Implying that there are a few powerful tomes to be found, encouraging adventurers to go on the hunt for them!

Some might say that was very Chosen of you...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  17:26:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which "powerful tome" are we talking about?

-- George Krashos

Mhaelosian Mantles...which compiled the information that Eltraggar, Mage Royal of Hlondath could find. Later it came into the hands of Aubayreer Mindosel. I'll quote here what you wrote concerning it:

quote:

Mhaelosian Mantles

In the Year of the Broken Lands (191 DR), the arcanist Eltraggar, Mage Royal of Hlondath collected the spell lore of mantles into a single libram of inestimable worth titled Mhaelosian Mantles. This tome of Art was said to describe in exacting detail the nature and function of spell mantles and provide the means and understanding to allow epic spellcasters to create one or more of these legendary spell fields for which the arcanists of Netheril were so famous. Eltraggar is known to have perished at the hands of a young Hastos Auglamyr at the Battle of Crowns Aflame during the Crown and Scepter Wars between Cormanthyr and Hlondath, but the whereabouts of his most coveted libram of spell lore died with him. Hlondath was abandoned in 329 DR as the Great Desert of Anauroch spread east, killing that realm’s fields and livestock, and while adventurers and treasure-hunters explored much of ruined Mhaelos in the fifth century of Dalereckoning, no word was ever received about the discovery of Mhaelosian Mantles, nor its likely whereabouts.

Many years later, the tome was noted as being in the possession of a young mage named Aubayreer Mindosel who was apprenticed to Agannazar of Neverwinter in the Year of the Lissome Apprentice (461 DR). Aubayreer was the son of a minor lordling of the realm of Teshar, a land that was founded by human settlers of Hlondath in the cleared lands between Rystall Wood and Cormanthor in the Year of Leather Shields (-75 DR). How the tome came into Aubayreer’s possession remains a mystery to this day. Travelling west, it is said that Aubayreer was accepted as an apprentice at the School of Wizardry in Neverwinter after trading knowledge found in Mhaelosian Mantles for his position there. Whilst in Neverwinter, Aubayreer received tutelage from the aforementioned Agannazar and his colleagues in magery, Illykur, Presper and Grimwald, who would found the wizard cabal known as the Covenant in the years to come.

Aubayreer remained in the North for several decades, building his skill in the Art, before returning to the lands of the Inner Sea. Teshar had fallen in 479 DR to raids and assaults from the drow of the Twisted Tower, so the kinless and landless Aubayreer travelled to Myth Drannor where he was apprenticed for a time to Saerangol the Hooded One. Aubayreer subsequently left the City of Song after a handful of years and travelled further east, working as a mage-for-hire in Impiltur and briefly studying under Lerthaun Durlarven, uncle of the reigning king of Impiltur, Harandil I.

In the Year of the Upright Man (535 DR), Aubayreer gathered a host of young, landless Impilturian nobles and led them across the Sea of Dlurg, to the foothills of the Dragonjaw Mountains. There he founded the realm of Milvarn, with its capital Milvarune, and established the first permanent human settlement in the Dragonjaw Mountains since the time of Narfell. In the centuries that followed, Milvarn continued to prosper under the guiding hand of Aubayreer’s wizard-ruler descendants, and close ties with surrounding lands were fostered and strengthened. These ties culminated in the marriage of Spell-Prince Elthar, heir to the throne of Milvarn, to Queen Thara of Aglarond in 1237 DR. Elthar was slain at the hands of unknown assassins in the Year of Pain (1245 DR) but given his younger brother Khalreer’s lack of talent for the Art, it is thought that the aged Jholnareer, Mage-King of Milvarn, entrusted much spell lore and secret magic, including Mhaelosian Mantles, to the Grey Sisters of Aglarond. In this fashion, the Simbul chanced upon this mighty legacy of Netheril when she came to serve the throne of Aglarond, and used it to awesome effect in the years that followed to defend the realm against the evil wizardry of Thay.

In the Year of the Leaping Dolphin (1331 DR), the mage Alamanther was destroyed in a great spellbattle against a trio of unknown Red Wizards of Thay. It is believed that the Simbul had entrusted Mhaelosian Mantles to him, bidding Alamanther to study it and keep it safe in the tower of his former master Ustragus in Altumbel. Despite Alamanther’s death, the tome did not fall into the hands of the Red Wizards, for none had any knowledge of it when interrogated over the next handful of years by a vengeful Simbul. In fact, knowledge of the whereabouts of Mhaelosian Mantles was one of the great mysteries of Faerûn for many years afterward until the Year of the Tankard (1370 DR) when it was offered for sale almost half a world-away in the great beholder city of Ooltul, deep beneath the sands of Anauroch. The would-be seller, whom some observers described as a dusky-skinned male elf with serpent-like eyes, disappeared soon after and Mhaelosian Mantles with him. The book’s current location remains a mystery and it is well-known that the Simbul is driven to recover this trove of Netherese spell lore, no matter the cost. Those who handle the tome or learn of its whereabouts should expect a visit from this most volatile of the Chosen of Mystra.

THAT powerful tome.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  18:06:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, THAT powerful tome.

Problem is, that one was found on the other side of the Desertsmouth Mtns - again, a bit of a hop, skip and jump from the Ride.

Of course, if you'd been referring to the books known to sages as Ordu's Amazar or the Enchiridion of Shaelath that would have been different. But you weren't.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  18:22:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah yes, THAT powerful tome.

Problem is, that one was found on the other side of the Desertsmouth Mtns - again, a bit of a hop, skip and jump from the Ride.

Of course, if you'd been referring to the books known to sages as Ordu's Amazar or the Enchiridion of Shaelath that would have been different. But you weren't.

-- George Krashos

Ordu's Amazar and the Enchiridion of Shaelath...

Tell me more!

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  18:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

George,

Not sure how to answer that. If you regard everything that I write as 'canonical', then the answer to your question is "very". If you think I'm just regurgitating published realmslore or giving you the contents of secret Ed realmslore missives, then the answer is "not so much". Canon, shmanon - if you like what I've written, then for you it should be as canon as canon can be.

-- George Krashos

Took me a while (mainly since I wrestled with what you presented me with as an answer/rebuttal for so long) to get to this one. Scribes will start seeing citations of "So saith George Krashos" in the 'Realmspeak' glossary and can thus reflect on whether they wish to use those terms or phrases themselves (just as I have) in the same manner.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  00:56:19  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by coach

George,

Thanks in advance

Hmm, missed this post from a while back.

The lineages contained in GHotR were made up of Steven's existing Tethyr line, his unfinished and unpublished Amnian line (which I tidied up), the unpublished and still undetailed Cormyrean line and Eric's Westgate lineage. Other lineages like Aglarond, Dambrath, and Silverymoon existed but had never been cobbled together in that form. I'd done the Velprin one when I had formalised Impiltur so that one was "waiting in the wings" as it were. The only ones created specifically for that book (and done in a mad rush I might add) were Narfell and Raumathar. If I'd had more time, I'd have done Sossal, Illusk/Luskan, Damara and likely the Netherese survivor states. Calimshan is doable - and I have a rough outline for it - but would be by far the biggest of them all and wouldn't have been done for that product no matter the lead time!

So, in a long-winded way, the anser is: no, there haven't been lineages formalised for Damara and Sossal. That's not to say I don't have any ideas for these, but I'm inclined to devote my (always short) leisure time to other projects.

Sounds like a good opportunity for someone here at the Keep to come up with something.

-- George Krashos

ok two things

1) using the novel Shield of Weeping Ghosts i think the Crell bloodline is now found in the current Creel tribe of Narfell, are there any other canon tribal blood connections to the Orgolath or Darakh dynasties?

2) i'd be inclined to try the Damaran line because I know that Damara wasn't in Ed's original Realms so i couldn't really bork that up too bad - what are the established dates of Damara's statehood?

it says in 1038 the glacier receded and folk migrated back ... then nothing til Virdin Bloodfeathers gets axed by the Witch-king, but when (if ever) was the time of the original kingdom ... in the various 3e sourcebooks Damaran language and melting pots are all too old to be from 1038 onward

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  03:28:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would only offer that the modern "English" of the United States is VASTLY different than even 200 years ago.

So, even if folks hadn't fully settled (re-settled?) Damara by 1138...a full hundred years; that would still have left over 200 years to "melt" together whatever language and races you like.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  04:23:24  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well actually i was referring to the references that some kingdoms/states are descended from Damaran peoples and/or some languages descended from Damaran languuages and these states and languages are older than the glacier recession so i was thinking (assuming) that there must have been a Damara before AND after the glacier advance and recession

or i could have it all wrong and misremembered

i'll have to do some study

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  06:45:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd always thought that the name of the region had been Damara for a long time before the founding of the realm of Damara in more modern times. It's a bit like the modern nation state of Israel forming in a region where that name had been previously applied to it, but not for centuries.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000