Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5520 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2019 :  00:41:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh shucks. I can't claim all the credit. The article had its roots in work Eric Boyd and I were doing a few years ago and have now returned to. The Jergal/spellweaver connection came from him as did much of the early history and I then riffed in terms of Jergal's machinations over the Nether Scrolls, travels over Faerūn and concluding Netheril foray. Dazzlerdal notes most of the lore connections that brought it together (Ed's Border Kingdom mention of Godswalk Keep, the Underdark product noting a phaerimm presence in Imaskar, etc.).

I should point out to you that Eric had and has a different take on Jergal which is likely to be showcased in his next product Crown of Eaerlann if we ever finish it! When that happens, mine will quietly slide into somnolence and remain what it always was and is: fan musing.

Oh, and just so you know, given recent e-mail exchanges between Eric and I on adjunct topics, I think I would have to revamp the article a little bit in any event.

Thanks for taking the time.

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2019 :  08:36:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhat unsettling news.

Wotc has abandoned this realms reality for their own less interesting creation(best thing they ever did in my opinion), and in the absence of their misguided steer, us realms fans have looked to others (You, Eric, and ed) to provide the expansions to lore we so desperately desire. And you have generously complied, for which we are infinitely grateful.

Canon is no longer official wotc approved sourcebooks, it is forum posts from the chambers of the sages, it is Twitter posts, it is articles like layla maurshanta, yahdi el alamat, the zulkirate of thay, the impiltur timeline, Lord of the end of everything, and sourcebooks like illefarn anew.

Until now there has been no conflict and use obsessed enthusiasts have catalogued everything and use it as much as any other official sourcebook.

If you and Eric have different views on Jergal then please attempt to reconcile them into a single vision. Eric's own approach is never to ignore a source and your article is now a source. Revise it, amend it, such things happened often in past sourcebooks, but please don't ignore it. I think Steven said that there are no mistakes, only opportunities for good
Storytelling.

I don't know if you have ever considered it or intended for it to happen but I (and I expect many in the community) regard you and Eric and ed as the keepers of canon for the 14th century DR. And although I doubt any of you intended for that to happen by generously providing your time and skills, but it is the state of things at the present.

On a more personal note I loved the Lord of the end of everything and regard it as an excellent explanation of one of the most mysterious deities in faerun. It is made even better because it closely mirrors my own approach, that gods do not directly affect the material plane, instead you made Jergal a real being with a colourful history and later catapulted him into an unwanted divinity, explaining many of the legends and tales about him. I hope we see a revised version later that works with Eric's vision as well, often the best lore comes from reconciling different works that seems incompatible.

And please don't take this as an attack or anything disparaging, I'm just trying to explain how i think many of us here feel about your articles and I would have for Lord of the end of everything to slide into obscurity and would instead like to see it reborn anew like an old adventure brought back to life, but I'm sure you and Eric are doing that already anyway.

Gary

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  11:13:54  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey how ya been, George? I haven't had much of a chance to dive into anything Realmsian for awhile now, but I've recently found both the time and motivation so I'm back!

I was wondering if you could give me any additional information on the Barrowlands in Impiltur. I've read the little tidbits in the Dragon article, but I was just wondering what it looks like. I know it's a wasteland of course, but can you tell me about anything else there? I know there are tombs, but what are they like? Any other ruins or notable features? At what point do the Barrowlands start from the coastline? What is it that keeps the Barrowlands from becoming more verdant?

And I mean I have to ask, any additional comments on the system of tunnels underground and the alleged Demonbinders that go with them? Where do the rumors/stories of their continued existence come from? How did the "adventurers" (I've always hated the term..) get down into the tunnels? If they're tombs, why is there even a system of tunnels?

Just a few questions

Thanks George!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5520 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2019 :  02:23:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe, that little tidbit is all there is. The rest is up to the DMs and gamers out there who want to expand on the lore and make it their own. I know that's not particularly helpful, but I've found that the Realms works better when you leave a bit of mystery and "wiggle room" in things.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2019 :  10:15:17  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's kind of what I figured was the intention. I just wondered in a general sense what your intentions were regarding it. Or comparing it to our world, what/where geographically would it be roughly analogous to?

It's good to be back
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
666 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  07:19:29  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, George,

First of all, thank you very much for all your Realms creations, past, present, and future. Some of the greatest stuff I’ve laid eyes on. speaking of... I was totally convinced thzt I had saved / copied your « Jergal, the Lord of the End of Everything » piece from the old Realmssecretariat site, but now it seems that I have not. Would it be possible to get a copy, please?

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5520 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  07:58:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Hi, George,

First of all, thank you very much for all your Realms creations, past, present, and future. Some of the greatest stuff I’ve laid eyes on. speaking of... I was totally convinced thzt I had saved / copied your « Jergal, the Lord of the End of Everything » piece from the old Realmssecretariat site, but now it seems that I have not. Would it be possible to get a copy, please?

Sure Thauramarth. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it through.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000