Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2016 :  17:36:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dammit, a secret plot to remove the lords would have been very nice and highlight the struggle between soneillon and the current dynasty of impiltur.

Still awesome stuff George. I'm just starting to rebuild my archive so when I get to impiltur I will be thoroughly reviewing this thread for information.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2016 :  23:00:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Dammit, a secret plot to remove the lords would have been very nice and highlight the struggle between soneillon and the current dynasty of impiltur.

Who says there isn't a secret plot to remove the Lords?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2016 :  11:21:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After some cogent comments by Lukas Kain, I can say that posts on this page have been suitably edited to reflect that the Heltharns are a huge @#$*ing family, leading to confusion, errors and flip-flopping of significant proportions! It now has all been set right. I think. Maybe. I bet this never happens to Ed ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2016 :  11:55:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm sure most of us know that these are not errors (unless they are unsolvable) but opportunities for expanding upon the excellent lore you have provided. Although being "error free" also helps.

Keep up the amazing work and I look forward to the detail of the plot to remove the lords of imphras ii

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2016 :  01:45:59  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was never about correcting errors, I was just looking for clarification. It was always my understanding that the details of the plot to remove the Lords was open-ended such that we were given the pieces and examples of potential intrigue, but the dots to be filled in were left to the GM's discretion. Thank you George, this year has been great already!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2016 :  16:45:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is very creative. I quite like it!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2016 :  12:16:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the best "flavour" that can be easily inserted into a campaign is the little stuff that highlights regional flavour. To me, nothing says "regional flavour" like food and drink, so here we go:

BEER & ALE

Much of the beer production in Impiltur is concentrated in the cleared lands between Hlammach and Dilpur where cereal crops including barley are grown. The two cities are rivals in this regard and both produce slightly different products. In Hlammach, most of the barley is dried using coke, which gives it a lighter hue, while the "traditional" fire-dried barley used in the beers and ales of Dilur give them a darker hue. More recently, beer from farming communities (known as "thaedar") in the Uplands have become all the rage in the major cities of the realm. These beers are different again in that they use wild hops that provide a more bitter taste, one that connoisseurs regard as indicative of high quality.

Some of the beers and ales and where they are predominately found throughout the kingdom are listed below:

Dilpur

Ambrar's Old Ale
Everglaun's Brown Harpy
Old Witch's Brew
Rolimbraun's Choice
Smoky Starbrew
Three Spires Coldfroth

Hlammach

Arneetha's Frost
Eaglespire
Redhook Brightbrew
Sunsails
Telegaun Dusky Ale
Telegaun Sparkling Ale
Telegaun Vintage Ale

Uplands

Clearspring Golden Ale
Old Goblin
Beldraun's Bittergold

WINE

The wine industry in Impiltur is dominated by small, family run vineyards that have been in their respective families for generations. The first grape cuttings came from the Vilhon in the earliest days of settlement, and some grape varieties cultivated by the elves in the environs of the Grey Forest were adopted by humans as the elven presence in the region diminished. Most of the white wines are grown in the foothills of the Earthfast on steep terraces, while red wines are cultivated on the flat, predominately in the undulating hills in and around Lyrabar. More recently, the temperate sea coast near Dilpur has seen a surge in viticulture and the wines produced there are gaining in popularity. There is some viticulture in the Uplands along the slopes of the Earthspurs, but the wines of that region are poorly regarded.

Grape varieties that can be found in Impiltur are classed as white or red. The white grape varieties are: elsar [an old variety first cultivated by the elves], nolth [high in acid, but can produce bland wines if overcropped], gelbern [large grape clusters with yellow, gold skin and juicy flesh that grows best in patches of volcanic soil in the Earthfasts], mapollo [highly aromatic, producing soft, elegant wines] and iliforn [pink hue when very ripe, thick skinned and suited to the making of sweet wines].

The red grape varieties are: yoroth [dark black berries producing spicy wines with notes of plum. Can be lacking in acidity and often blended with other red grape varieties], bercat [thick-skinned, purple berries producing acidic, tannic wines that require proper aging to show their best], magay [still grown in the Vilhon Reach, this variety is ancient and produces wines with sour cherry and black pepper notes], halicant [light purple berries that thrive in full sun and produce red juice when crushed that is bottled without skin contact, producing a refreshing pink-hued wine that is served chilled], and zarsh [red-tinged, black berries that produce full-bodied wines with soft tannins and flavours of blackberry and mint in cooler climes and liquorice, tobacco and spice in hotter climes].

Some of the notable wines of Impiltur (and the grape varieties they are made from) are set out below:

White

Aramina (mapollo)
Lost Lady (elsar)
Nerlaun's Gold (elsar)
Three Harps (gelbern)
Satyr's Horn (ilforn in a sweet style)
Narthwheel (nolth - high quality example)
Wendaree (nolth - low quality, bulk wine)

Red

Jarloon's Bull's Blood (bercat)
Black River (zarsh)
Rose of Lyrabar (halicant)
Derelaun's Run (yoroth/bercat)
Moonwhisper (yoroth)
Rockford (zarsh)
Hermit's Barrel No.7 (magay)

It is known that many monasteries and abbeys of various faiths of Faerūn cultivate vines, and those found in Impiltur are no exception. Some of the rarest wines in the kingdom are grown and vinified in these secluded places, and rarely seen by the general population. Rare bottles of red wine from the monks of the Fastness of Mergalath (a holy monk of Ilmater, now long-dead) located in the rugged bluffs of the Fist [the peninsula south of Ilmwatch] or white wines from the Tometower, a retreat used by the faithful of Oghma in the Earthfasts west of Songhal fetch significant prices from collectors.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 10 Jan 2016 12:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  08:32:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this is the kind of small stuff that I often ignore but is essential for giving a region a believable level of reality.

Excellent stuff George as always, and yet another mention of a famous monk (I suspect soon there will be more detailed clergy of Ilmater's monasteries than the whole of 5e FR NPC roster).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  12:15:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPIRITS

There are few large producers of spirits in Impiltur, with most beverages being produced on a small-scale by a single family or collective. As is commonplace in our world, spirits are either made from cereal crops (usually using estari - akin to real-world corn but ripening to produce vivid scarlet kernels) or other vegetables (dandager in the main - akin to real world parsnips). Wood aging in oak and duskwood (which is excellent for charring) produces a range of potables and detailed below are a few of the spirits unique to Impiltur:

Argentar (clear spirit with notes of mint, juniper and berries)
Danimbrar's Darkfire (red-brown spirit with notes of toasted wood, vanilla and spice)
Larlaena (cloudy spirit with notes of cucumber, rosehip and freshly-cut grass)
Norbren (golden hued spirit with a smoky taste, cardamom and clove)
Pelden's Whiteflame (clear spirit with notes of aniseed and fennel)
Rornthil ["made to a traditional dwarven recipe"] (deep amber with a strong smoky flavour highlighted by vanilla and sea salt)
Ulintree (yellow, viscous spirit with a sweet taste and notes of saffron and honey)
Worthar's Triple Cask (dark, almost black spirit with notes of citrus and cherry)

Most taverns will stock a range of spirits but it is rare for any establishments outside the major cities to stock more than 2-3. Hard drinking is frowned upon in polite society in Impiltur and public drunkenness is not tolerated by the authorities. Spirits usually feature after a meal and only in the context of toasts to celebrate a happy or auspicious occasion. Most spirit drinkers who indulge more liberally do so in the privacy of their own homes or in groups of like-minded individuals. Lyrabar has seen a spate of these groups form in recent winters, with exclusive memberships and names such as the Knights of the Goblet, the Draftmasters and the Lords of Amber. These groups are popular amidst the younger nobility and richer middle class and are prepared to pay good gold for exotic beverages from around Faerūn and hard-to-get spirits within the kingdom (such as the famous Old Twinkle spirit, not made now for some 15 years, and treasured by collectors and connoisseurs. The last bottle sold openly in Lyrabar fetched a sum of 1000 gp!).

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2016 :  19:49:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

A few questions about ancient Narfell (i'll leave the questions about modern Narfell unless you have an interest in those as well).

First thing is first I'm wondering about the origin of the Nar people. The various sources we have indicate that the ancient Nar were tribal in origin, so I'm wondering how much of that tribal nature was still around by the time of Narfell's destruction in -150 DR.

I have read that the Nentyarch had 5 Ayarchs which may or may not have contained the son and heir of the ruling Nentyarch. Now if Narfell was still tribal in nature were those Ayarchs actually leading representatives of powerful clans (or whatever the tribal units were). What was the succession law for Narfell - was it primogeniture (where the eldest child of the king inherited) or was it more an elective succession (i.e. anyone could be elected by the clans) or perhaps elective but only from members of the ruling dynasty.

I'm also wondering on the original home of the Nar. In the real world there was a succession of migrations out of the Steppe lands in the east that came to Europe. Each successive migration pushed the preceding migration further west.

Is that a process mirrored in Toril, so were the Nar the first to migrate west and were pushed further by the Raumathari and both of those were displaced by the modern Nar.

Lastly for now is why is Narfell still named Narfell. I'm assuming that the ancient Nar were called the Nar and the kingdom called Narfell. If so then with the nation's destruction did the name persist only because the only surviving nations at the time (Mulhorand and Unther) remembered its name before and communicated it to the nations that arose amid the ashes (Impiltur etc).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2016 :  19:11:36  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, in your High History of Impiltur, I noted that King Bellodar II was marching on Chessagol in 635 DR, but his father had annexed it only a few decades previous. In Dragon #277, I see that you note that King Lamoth's monarchy was only recently established so I presume that Chessagol had (again) broken away from Impiltur within those 31 years.

My question is when did this happen? Also, you describe King Lamoth as having "simpering regard" for King Bellodar when the army of Impiltur is at his gates. This doesn't sound like a monarch who would foment rebellion against another, more powerful kingdom. Or was he one of those weaselly fellows who try to manipulate folk into doing what they want by pretending to be pathetic?

Cheers chap!

Edit: I've also GOT to ask. How did Queen Ilmara manage to give birth at the age of 65?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 22 Jun 2016 01:47:15
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  05:30:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

George, in your High History of Impiltur, I noted that King Bellodar II was marching on Chessagol in 635 DR, but his father had annexed it only a few decades previous. In Dragon #277, I see that you note that King Lamoth's monarchy was only recently established so I presume that Chessagol had (again) broken away from Impiltur within those 31 years.

My question is when did this happen? Also, you describe King Lamoth as having "simpering regard" for King Bellodar when the army of Impiltur is at his gates. This doesn't sound like a monarch who would foment rebellion against another, more powerful kingdom. Or was he one of those weaselly fellows who try to manipulate folk into doing what they want by pretending to be pathetic?

Cheers chap!

Edit: I've also GOT to ask. How did Queen Ilmara manage to give birth at the age of 65?

Chessagol did indeed rebel just a year or so after Bellodar I's death. The leader of the rebellion was one Narmoth Bragendar, who saw to it that the Impilturian authorities and sympathizers were put to the sword and installed himself on the (dusted off) throne of Chessagol. Narmoth was a great bear of man, rough of speech and abrupt in manner, but a strong leader and brave in battle. He came to rule Chessagol in 625 DR but died a short time later in 632 DR when fighting orc and ogre raiders from the Earthfasts.

His son Lamoth was of a different cut to his respected (and feared) father. The younger of twin sons, Lamoth was a sickly child and not blessed with physical gifts. His older brother Halmoth died of illness in 618 DR and with the death of Narmoth, Lamoth came to the throne. History suggests that Chessagol remained independent (although still very much in Impiltur's sphere of control) for a range of reasons - the fact the Lamoth maneuvered a marriage alliance, his sending back to Impiltur and Bellodar II of three renegade Orbil family nobles who had sought sanctuary in Chessagol and most likely of all, that Bellodar sought a buffer state between him and Procampur rather than having the two powers uncomfortably close.

The Bragendars managed to stay in power until the Fiend Wars. so as a ruling family, they had at least a century in the sun.

As for Ilmara, I'm guessing that the blessings of Sune and Chauntea had something to do with her fertility - and she likely had some access to longevity magics.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 23 Jun 2016 05:30:50
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  05:52:53  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,
I've been trying to do some reading into Dardath but I'm coming up relatively empty. I was reading your stuff on Ardeep and Elembar, and I was wondering if you ever did any stuff for their dwarven neighbour?

Cheers!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  07:02:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, we've done lots of stuff on Dardath (by we I mean Eric Boyd and I). What were you after in particular?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  08:10:20  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping for the list of Arcrowns if you have it!
I've read the stuff in Eric's thread as relevant to the Illefarn campaign, but was hoping to fill in some gaps as far as the Arcrowns at different times go. I'm specifically interested in Arcrowns around the time shortly after the fall of Phalorm, but a full list would be awesome!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  08:40:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a few from the fall of Phalorm onwards:

Faurilarn - reigns from 614-617
Faurilosk - reigns from 617-620 (brother of Faurilarn)

Interregnum from 621 to 624 as younger brothers of Faurilosk battle for regency

Oskilar "the Younger" - reigns from 620-671 (son of Faurilosk)
[Delg the Clanless is regent - he's a bastard son of Oskilar, father of Faurilarn and Faurilosk]

Devin "Blackheart" - reigns from 671-850 (son of Faurilosk)
Bharaun "the Younger" - reigns from 850-882 (son of Devin)
Devinarn - reigns from 882-942 (son of Devin)
Tammas "the Younger" - reigns from 942-950 (daughter of Devinarn)
Daurvosarn - reigns from 950-1018 (son of Tammas)
Devinarn "the Younger" - reigns from 1018-1090 (son of Daurvosarn)
Devin "the Younger" - reigns from 1090-1235 (son of Devinarn and died heirless)

After that, Dardath ceased to have a king but in truth had existed as a realm in name only after the fall of Phalorm. After that it was a group of allied clanholds. Most of those holds were abandoned by 882 DR.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  09:55:27  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thank you! Much appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  10:12:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hobgoblins of Haekrukkha were led by their chosen leader, the Dargrath. The Dargrath was usually the best and most-feared war leader among the hobgoblins, but he wielded no real power. The real power of the realm was in the hands of a circle of shamans known as the Kurdagrin. This group chose the Dargrath (and every once in a while, disposed of one) and held large religious observances on a quarterly basis that usually involved sacrificing prisoners (elves were favored) and grisly feasting on the corpses. To that end, it should be noted that the hobgoblins of Haekrukkha practiced cannibalism, with the view that they gained strength in eating their own. The hobgoblins of Haekrukkha were established along family/clan lines, with groups clustered together in a myriad of small settlements on the plains and in the foothills of the Earthspurs. Each settlement was usually ruled by an elder (known as a Bardrak) who meted out village justice. The wise ones lasted for years, while the unpopular ones turned over relatively frequently. Haekrukkha built no major cities or settlements of its own but the Kurdagrin resided in the remnants of an ancient ruined settlement thought to have been built by the giants. It was known as Gharazkar and is thought to have been located somewhere near the western shore of the present-day Bluefang Water. Nothing of it remains for in the great battles between the hobgoblins and the elves of Larlotha and dwarves of Felimar, it is believed that the elves used High Magic to either raze it or tip its towers into the Bluefang. Tales of people finding "Lost Gharazkar" crop up routinely but no one has ever been able to provide concrete proof of discovering what is left of this long ago capital.

The army of Haekrukkha was known as the Haurash (or "Fangs") and organised into three main battlegroups known as Raashun. These were:

The Disarashuun - young warriors, barely adults, who were used as skirmishers and raiders, harrying the enemy from a distance with missile weapons. They were typically lightly armored, carried hide shields and wielded javelins and throwing axes.

The Norgarashuun - the adult warriors making up the bulk of the armed might of Haekruukha. They were well-trained, disciplined and fought in close order. They wore heavier armor (scalemail or brigandines or their equivalent in the main) and fought with thrusting spears and short swords.

The Telvarashuun - these were the older, veteran warriors who had fought many campaigns. They were the realm's elite reserve and wore as much metal armor as they could scavenge (from elves in the main) as well as armor produced for them by the enslaved Stormhammer clan of dwarves, now extinct). They wielded great two-handed axes in battle and were notable for their distinct tattoos (black around the eyes and top of the head, looking like a mask).

Haekrukkha was a strong, warlike realm that in the end was overmatched by the magic of the elves and the stubborn, single-minded battle ferocity of the dwarves. Rumors circulate that many hobgoblins fled into the Underdark in the dying days of the realm. There they were subverted and controlled by an Underdark race - most believe illithids, while some talk of the duergar - and have spent the milllennia since enslaved and a bare shadow of their former might and power. The hobgoblins of the Giantspires have tales of an Urdargrath (or "Greatest Slayer") who will come from the "downdark" and lead the hobgoblins in a crusade of revenge against their enemies. More than a few hobgoblins have claimed the mantle of Urdargrath over the centuries, but none have achieved their goal of conquest.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  12:37:49  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Mr. Krashos. One question about the Kurdagrin: were they exclusively shamans of Maglubyiet, followers of Nomog-Geaya, or representants of more than one goblin deity?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  16:45:32  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much George and fairplay!

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  21:52:38  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those Kurdagrin sound like a scary bunch indeed. Love it! Any infamous ones among them?

Awesome tale on Gharazkar, gave me an idea for a submerged dungeon in the Bluefang.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  00:44:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Very nice, Mr. Krashos. One question about the Kurdagrin: were they exclusively shamans of Maglubyiet, followers of Nomog-Geaya, or representants of more than one goblin deity?

Malglubiyet all the way.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  11:44:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Malglubiyet all the way.

Cool, thanks!!!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2016 :  04:21:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it when you meander with hobgoblin-lore, Krash.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2016 :  07:00:56  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello George, I hope life is treating you well. I was wondering what the burial practices of Impiltur are, for both nobility and the common folk.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  12:17:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

Ive just had a quick read through Lalya Maurshanta and its top quality work.

I love the name drops such as shantel othreiers long lost capital.

Im interested to know where in the stonelands you imagine the forest of Rivrau to be. Is it west of the Burn nearer the goblin marches or is it east of the burn which would be the wood of anauria (i forget its name).

Youve added lots of wonderful dates and places to use so thankyou.

Excellent stuff.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  13:30:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the article, it's truly appreciated.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  02:39:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Hi George,

I've just had a quick read through Lalya Maurshanta and its top quality work.

I love the name drops such as shantel othreiers long lost capital.

Im interested to know where in the stonelands you imagine the forest of Rivrau to be. Is it west of the Burn nearer the goblin marches or is it east of the burn which would be the wood of anauria (i forget its name).

You've added lots of wonderful dates and places to use so thankyou.

Excellent stuff.

If you look at the map in "Lost Empires of Faerun", it's the tongue of woodlands that snakes around the Storm Horns from east to west.

As for the name drops, that's all part of the fun. There one or two Easter Eggs in the article too, but they are pretty obscure so enjoy tracking them down.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  02:42:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Thank you for the article, it's truly appreciated.

You are welcome. The tale of the ghazneths had lore holes you could drive a Mack truck through that had been bugging me for years, so I thought I'd do something about it. Was bloody difficult and I ran out of fingers for the dyke, but I was pleased with what I churned out in the end. I was even more pleased that Brian and Erik came through to get copies to the seminar attendees. Fabulous effort from those guys and the true heroes of Candlekeep.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  02:44:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Hello George, I hope life is treating you well. I was wondering what the burial practices of Impiltur are, for both nobility and the common folk.

Hi Lukas. Cremation since the Fiend Wars. You burn it and it can't come back. It's safer that way with all those demons lurking about and Orcus' mastery of the undead.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000