Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  03:50:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've reached the last five pages of refinements for Krash's "Impiltur Compilation."

Woot! See what I can accomplish in a day without the distraction of pesky real-world work.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  10:38:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome stuff, Krash!

My love of musical Realmslore says that I'm using Troubador Tower as a basis for a campaign the next time I'm anywhere near Impiltur.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  12:55:44  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Methinks I'm distracting you from Impiltur overmuch. Great stuff!

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  13:47:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truly excellent stuff George.

Could it be that in the writeup of Lyrabar the sword that breaks runes is hadryllis. Although that begs the question how did Thaum get hold of that sword so perhaps its another sword.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  17:20:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a great suggestion but doesn't gel with the sword's history in "Champions of Valor".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2014 :  03:14:36  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazing George, fits what I was looking for and more beyond that! Thank you! =)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2014 :  03:43:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad it's of use. Dilpur is next, although I won't be so brave as to state an ETA.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2014 :  10:03:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the history didnt match up for Hadryllis so it cant be that sword that breaks runes.

It also can't be the Death Moon Orb which is also excellent for destroying binding runes and isnt a sword (although it would be fitting if the sword that breaks runes is actually a quill or a piece of chalk - the pen is mightier than the sword).

So given that Prince Thaum fell under the sway of Soneillon according to my notes, and she is kept from entering Impiltur by runes laid by Soargar. I reckon that the sword that breaks runes is Albruin which was in Thaum's possession while he was on the throne of Impiltur and during which time he shattered a number of Soargar's runes for his secret master/mistress the queen of whispers.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2014 :  14:41:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of times its fun to connect stray bits of lore together to add to the mighty tapestry that is The Realms... but "the devil's in the details".

Sometimes it proves easier just to let an idea go, when weaving it in becomes a job unto itself. Or, in other words, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

Great lore - as usual - GK.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Nov 2014 14:41:27
Go to Top of Page

JPDeed
Acolyte

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  05:47:03  Show Profile Send JPDeed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

Where would you consider the most likely coastal region of Faerun to find a Storm Giant enclave? They are often farmers, and thus would probably need a LOT of land to keep the family fed. My concept is to start a group of PCs as the children of serfs/humanoid employees of storm giants, and use the Storm Giant's size as a hook for human sized adventurers being able to access places they cannot.

Not sure if this is an area you are happy to answer, but you do answer quickly and thoroughly so that's why you are the first person to ask :)

Cheers,

JPDeed.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  06:53:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The islands of Altumbel off Aglarond might be useful in that regard. Plenty of them, not all of them detailed and scope to explain why your PCs are hanging out with storm giants (i.e. fisherfolk, castaways, escapees from pirates, pirates! etc.). This would also work in that Steven Schend talked quite a bit about storm giants in "Sea of Fallen Stars" and made them quite "aquatic" in doing so. Also you are close enough to transition your campaign into the Unapproachable East if you need to increase the scope or challenges for your group.

Hope this helps.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 18 Nov 2014 06:54:48
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  10:50:08  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've reached the last five pages of refinements for Krash's "Impiltur Compilation."

Woot! See what I can accomplish in a day without the distraction of pesky real-world work.

I know I shouldn't ask, but did you ever finish this?

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  12:18:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's on its way very soon to me. Sage promised!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  14:03:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LMAO

On the bright side (for me, not you guys), that means I know I have 'all the time in the world' to complete the map.

I'll be Emailing you soon, about that, GK. I have to just finish the next thing for Eric and then I am back to the Eastern Heartlands.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  14:33:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh wonderful. I'd like to see Impiltur and the UE get some more Markustay love.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  03:36:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Aye.

Didn't have a chance to transfer the file as promised, last evening. Krash knows about the specifics regarding the problems I encountered.

I've an RDO tomorrow, which will allow me to properly correct the file conversion error and send it to George without any further problems on my part.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  19:54:20  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

what do you think will the various Lords of Imphras II and Queen Regent Sambryl do after the coronation of Imbrar Heltharn II with the end of both the Regency and the Council of Lords?
To shorten the list, consider that Lords Helimbraun, Oriseus, Silaunbrar, Engarth, Soarglim, Rilimbraun and Simgar died in my campaign in various Soneillon-related events.

Another question, did Mage Royal Selarbrin have any offsprings/successors/apprentices that he was grooming to continue the family line and take his place as new Mage Royal? (Yeah, he died too, my players took a while to catch up with the Soneillon-orchestrated intrigues so there were many casualties in Impiltur). If the answer to the above is "No" in one way or another, how is going to be appointed the new Mage Royal? And who is in "pole position" among archmages of the kingdom or foreigners to get the seat?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  03:55:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Aye.

Didn't have a chance to transfer the file as promised, last evening. Krash knows about the specifics regarding the problems I encountered.

I've an RDO tomorrow, which will allow me to properly correct the file conversion error and send it to George without any further problems on my part.

Okay, provided there were no problems with the FTP conversion of the file, Krash should now have a copy.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  13:04:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, what file?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  14:26:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry, Krash.

Its just wibbily-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff happening.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  13:35:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Don't worry, Krash.

Its just wibbily-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff happening.

Yeah. Problem on my end. I've discussed it with Krash.

Things are moving forward now, with positive results.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  02:28:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem corrected. Hopefully.

Just waiting for a response from Krash on whether he's received my test file.

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  13:34:53  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A test file?

It seems sending an email with a document attached is a lot more complicated in Sage-land....

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  14:24:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, he is actually sending them from a monastery in 1207 AD, so the connection is unstable.

His home-built 'Steampunk 9000' computer doesn't really run windows - its more of a 'probability engine' with no actual code, just lots and lots of gears and lights (many of which do nothing but look cool). So, of course, there are quite a bit of compatibility issues as well.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Dec 2014 14:30:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  16:23:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Well, he is actually sending them from a monastery in 1207 AD, so the connection is unstable.

His home-built 'Steampunk 9000' computer doesn't really run windows - its more of a 'probability engine' with no actual code, just lots and lots of gears and lights (many of which do nothing but look cool). So, of course, there are quite a bit of compatibility issues as well.

Are you saying the Sage is a tinker gnome? This would explain a lot...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  19:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash, you've written of Oghranni (?) dwarves in this very thread. I wonder if you have any knowledge about Oghrann's most prominent clans? 'Dwarves Deep' lists the major shield dwarf clans, but it seems most of them wandered towards Worldspine mountains, Waterdeep and Mirabar after the kingdom's fall. Which clans might have traveled eastward, other than Iron House of Tethyamar? And did Tethyamar's inhabitants include other clans beside the Iron House, e.g. Brightblade dwarves from Daggerdale?

To expand on that, is it common that, for example, Clan Dunderhead's hold might also have a few Watchever, Darkfell or Worldthrone dwarves? (i.e. families or individuals from "major" clans)

O the Beardless One, I beseech thee, help me out with this one and I'll be forever in your de... uh, grateful!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  10:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also much enjoyed your lore on Tethyamar. What would be your educated guess of when Thunderholme was founded? I'm thinking of following years (in DR): -26, 127, 149, 227 and 250. Year of the Dwarf would fit nicely, but then again, Hlundadim's army assaults Cormyr around 200 DR, and I find that would have been a great opportunity for Tethyamar and/or Oghrann clans to expand into Thunder Peaks. Ergo, Year of Raised Banner (227) or Year of the Storm Crown (250) would work nicely. Or was Thunderholme, in your humble opinion, an independent kingdom and not an outpost of Tethyamar/Iron House?

Also, do you think there were refugees/clans from fallen Delzoun in Tethyamar and Thunderholme?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  10:36:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh thats a good question.

It could have been founded following Tethyamar's first fall around -88 DR.

It could have been founded by dwarves from Myth Drannor (i think they were from the vast).

It could have been founded by the same kin of fallen Oghrann living in the Storm Horns that helped found Tethyamar.

I'm thinking since Tethyamar's founding mentions only sending word to the kin of fallen Oghrann in the Stormhorns (with no mention of the Thunderpeaks) that either Thunderholme was not there at this time or the two groups of dwarves were unrelated and therefore less inclined to help one another.

Maybe that gives some credence to the dwarves of Thunderholme being of the stock of Sarphil which would be different to the dwarves of Oghrann by a few thousand years.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  23:23:04  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Ooh thats a good question.

It could have been founded following Tethyamar's first fall around -88 DR.

It could have been founded by dwarves from Myth Drannor (i think they were from the vast).

It could have been founded by the same kin of fallen Oghrann living in the Storm Horns that helped found Tethyamar.

I'm thinking since Tethyamar's founding mentions only sending word to the kin of fallen Oghrann in the Stormhorns (with no mention of the Thunderpeaks) that either Thunderholme was not there at this time or the two groups of dwarves were unrelated and therefore less inclined to help one another.

Maybe that gives some credence to the dwarves of Thunderholme being of the stock of Sarphil which would be different to the dwarves of Oghrann by a few thousand years.

Interesting ideas, Dazzlerdal; I've thought of Sarphil, too, but it may be a bit too old? I feel that Thunderholme would be mentioned more often in dwarf and Cormyr related canon if it had been founded thousands of years ago. And Tethyamar might have tried to establish a firm relationship with such an old kingdom...

On the other hand, Thunderholme was famous for its superb craftsmen and miners, which something I can't recall being mentioned in Realmslore about Oghrann or Tethyamar. That might indicate the dwarves of Thunderholme weren't from either of these kingdoms.

I've also thought of the Realm of Glimmering Swords, which fell in 649 DR, but it rose and fell when Thunderholme already existed. Besides, the refugees of Roldirar retreated to Myth Drannor, and later on went to reopen the mines of Sarphil.

My own best guess is that Thunderholme was founded around 200-300 DR, if not even a century later, by a few clans of Oghrann, and perhaps some refugees from Delzoun. Perhaps they were clans that were following the path laid down by their cousins in Tethyamar? Or maybe Thunderholme was founded as a vassal kingdom of Tethyamar? In any case, it may be that some clans fled from Myth Drannor and Ammarindar to Thunderholme, but they probably weren't many in number.

I'm leaning towards Clan Darkfell as one of the "major" clans, but maybe there wasn't a ruling clan per se, since Emerlin III (like Harbromm or Ghellin) didn't have a clan name? The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Thunderholme was a place where many refugees from fallen dwarven realms fled to...

Edited by - Asgetrion on 12 Dec 2014 06:50:37
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  00:25:22  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this will help some.

684 DR (The Year of the Sundered Crypt) - Dwarves of the clan Tarynstone are found digging deep tunnels under the city (Myth Drannor) despite the long-held prohibitions against such actions. Furthermore, some elf Houses are outraged that the dwarves' tunneling in restricted areas collapsed some nigh-forgotten deep crypts of the elder or long-gone Houses. Clan Tarynstone and its 350 dwarves, despite a cry within the Ruling Council for death sentences and an equally loud cry for acquittal, are exiled from Myth Drannor and Cormanthyr. The clan emigrates west into the Thunder Peaks. (Source: Fall of Myth Drannor)

989 DR (The Year of Dark Stalking) - Dwarven miners from a remote outpost of Thunderholme inadvertently broke into Aurgloroasa's lair and roused the very old shadow dragon from a decades-long sleep.

1001 DR - (The Year of the Awakening) Aurgloroasa began to whisper dark thoughts in the dreams of High Old One Dagan, son of Belgin, blood of Jangarak. Over the next 33 years, the ambitions of Thunderholme's high priest of Dumathoin grew as did his madness and his obsession with death.

1034 DR (The Year of Bane's Brood) - When the aging monarch (King Emerlin III) died in his sleep shortly after the disappearance of his only child, the crown prince, on a trade mission to Selgaunt, Dagan was quickly named Regent of Thunderholme. (Both the king and the prince were victims of Aurgloroasa's shadowy agents.) Within months, construction was begun on a grand temple to Dumathoin in the heart of Thunderholme.

1054 DR (The Year of the Tolling Terrors) - In a grand ceremony of dedication attended by all the dwarves of Thunderholme, the dwarven regent-priest dedicated the temple complex to Null, not Dumathoin, and named it the Necropolis of the Wyrm. As news of the unspeakable deed spread through the crowd, Dagan completed the unholy ritual by summoning the "avatar" of his new god and Aurgloroasa was loose in the city. In the chaos that followed, fewer than 30 dwarves escaped the maelstrom of evil that had been unleashed. Within a tenday, Thunderholme was a lifeless city, reeking of decay.

Rest of these come from the old 2E Cult of the Dragon book.

It's possible clan Tarynstone joined Thunderholme or perhaps they founded the remote outpost mentioned above. Judging from what we know of the place's architecture, such as: Immense halls and chambers supported by titanic pillars and cut from the heart of the living mountain have become magnificent sepulchers. Immense friezes depicting dwarven nobility and the daily lives of the common folk stand as monuments to the long-dead inhabitants; I'd assume Thunderholme took many centuries to carve out.

And with Dumathoin being the Keeper of Secrets, it's possible this place has existed for quite a long time. Definitely another place I'd love to see more detail on.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000