Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 41

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  03:09:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The goblinoids have long had a presence in current day Vaasa, Damara and Narfell as well as points north before there was a Great Glacier. I've postulated that they were slaves of the giants and the dragons (more the former than the latter) but that the hobgoblins in particular were more closely tied to the dragons (who experimented on goblins magically, bred them into stronger and stronger strains and in my Realms, gave us what we now know as the hobgoblin race). The giants kept goblins for food and mass labour, using bugbears as overseers and arrow-fodder troops.

After the time of the dragons and the age of giants, the hobgoblins did indeed share the plains north of the Auldgloam Forest with the Nar humans following their eviction by the elves of Lethyr. There were no permanent settlements for either group, but the humans controlled most of the plains and the hobgoblins stayed in the hills/mountains and raided constantly.

It should be noted that orcs have never been a feature of the lands of the Unapproachable East. They arrived during the Orcgate Wars and are the gray orcs featured in "Races of Faerun" (p.65). When their invasion was shattered, the majority of the survivors fled to the surrounding mountains, east and north. The orcs who fled north moved into the forests of Lethyr and were slain in droves, but greatly weakened the elves also, leading to their inability to resist human encroachment by -1020 DR. The orcs kept going north and west into the Earthspurs and Earthfast Mountains where they first encountered the dwarves of Earthfast. The orcs were then shoved north again into the Galenas and Vaasa where over three centuries they gathered in sufficient numbers to move west and south and form Vastar and spread into the Moonsea and Tortured Lands.

The hobgoblins of Haekrukkha went mostly into the Giantspires (they had established a series of fortresses there as 'last redoubt' type refuges) but smaller tribes did remain in the Earthspurs and Galenas as well as moving into the bogs of Vaasa. Basically, they fled into marginal areas of the region, free from significant dwarven and elven influence. The Dargrath and his shaman cabal did not go with them because something (or someone) caused them to head into the Earthspurs. Many sages consider that it was illithid coercion and control and that the present-day settlement of Brikklext has some sort of connection also.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Jul 2013 03:10:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  04:00:44  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

... dragons (who experimented on goblins magically, bred them into stronger and stronger strains and in my Realms, gave us what we now know as the hobgoblin race).
Hmmm. Did these experimentations on the goblins result in the breeding of any other goblinoid-related races in your Realms, Krash? What about "failed" experimental races? Or even aberrant forms of goblins? [I only ask, because I'm thinking this could be a way of introducing into my Realms some of the variant goblinoid types that have been featured in various other third-party sources.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  13:14:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that there are indeed variant goblinoids, but in game mechanic terms I'm unaware of any other 'monster' options other than Blues. In terms of "my Realms" and Haekrukkha, I've got more powerful hobgoblin Blues and my Brikklext is controlled by them.

I also have more powerful and magic-oriented hobgoblins (the "rukkha" first seen in Ed's 'Elminster in Myth Drannor' novel) which in my Realms are the result of a breeding program undertaken millennia ago by the red great wyrm Arvalarukkha "Scorchtalons".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14174 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  13:25:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably know this, buuuuut...

Who first settled Impiltur?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  17:44:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impiltur as a nation was founded by Chondathans, who over the centuries have bred with the 'locals' to become Damarans. The latent Chondathan streak in Impiltur is the reason why the "Invisible Art" is slightly more prevalent in the general population (higher percentage of wild talents in the main).

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14174 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  18:02:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the speedy reply, Krash.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14174 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  12:23:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How old was Princess Aliia when she died?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  12:34:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Princes Aliia was born in 909 DR and so was 17 when she died.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  13:28:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soneillon has had at least four documented offspring in the time since she was again unleashed on the Realms in the late 600s DR.

Gharosh was the son Soneillon bore when consort to Agrosh "the Scaled", sole king of the Tarrik Dynasty of Impiltur. Born in 728 DR, he was only a year old when paladins of the Triad Crusade slew his father. Soneillon is thought to have sent him to the Citadel of Conjurers in the care of the trusted Tarrik retainer Norras "the Spiked" when it was clear that the Fiend Wars were to end in bloody defeat for the demons residing in Impiltur. No further word of Gharosh is recorded and it is unknown if he ever actually was taken to the Citadel, as the Tarriks are known to have kept many secret subterranean holds in the Earthfasts.

Gharosh was described as being of normal size for a human infant, his skin of golden hue with patches of thick black hair on his head and along his forearms and spine. He had six-fingered hands and jet black eyes. His mother is known to have magically implanted in him a special ward token accessing areas of the Citadel of Conjurers, as well as some sort of magic token that enhanced his resistance to magic. He could converse telephathically almost from when he left her womb. While his fate is unknown, his demonic blood may see him live yet and whether he remains a servant of his mother or seeks to destroy her for his abandonment as an infant is a matter of conjecture.

During her time in Chondath, Soneillon is known to have given birth to twin, half-fiend girls fathered by the archmage Whinonas Ferentier. Born in 857 DR, the twins were named Arasha and Thaeril and grew swiftly to adulthood. They were described by the mercenary general Olmorn of Arrabar as "stunningly beautiful, wilful, petulant and smelling of ashes and death". Taught by their father, both grew skilful in the Art, able to use several spells of the Enchantment school seemingly at will. With the advent of the Rotting War, Arasha is thought to have attempted to plumb the depths of her infernal heritage, seeking to summon aid from the might demon prince Graz'zt. His price is thought to have been her submission to him as consort, and it is likely that she now lives in the Abyss in one of Graz'zt's many pleasure palaces.

Thaeril's fate was altogether different. Seduced by the power inherent in the Netherese magic trove her father discovered, harnessed and unleashed to conquer all of Chondath, Thaeril is thought to have fallen afoul of a spelltrap item akin to a mirror of life trapping (but with the ability to use the trapped individual's magical ability by the wielder of that item) known as Mordanon's Scepter for the archwizard who crafted three such items millenia ago on the shores of the Narrow Sea. The unscrupulous Whinonas is thought to have used the scepter himself to enhance his magical ability (and may in fact have intentionally caused Thaeril to be trapped by the item in question), but with his death, the whereabouts of the scepter are lost. Thaeril likely lives on as a sentient creature trapped in this magic item and is probably quite insane, but still possessed of magical knowledge that could destroy kingdoms if a means to release her could be discovered.

Soneillon's only other known child was born in 1358 DR during the Time of Troubles. The child's father was a hobgoblin warleader of the Giantspire tribes and the child is known as Vhost, or "death" in the hobgoblin tongue. Huge, muscled and betraying little of his fiendish heritage, Vhost is Soneillon's envoy to the tribes and speaks with her voice as well as being her bodyguard and manservant. He speaks seldom, is rumoured to have some spell-like abilities and can spit a virulent poison that damages on contact. It is not known what role Soneillon plans for Vhost, but it is thought that when the hobgoblin tide of the Giantspires surges forth, it is not only the lands of Impiltur that will come under threat.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 25 Aug 2013 18:11:31
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2905 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  14:25:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14174 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  14:52:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the speedy response, once again.

And just WOW about the other lore. I can SO use most of that in what I am currently working on (Impiltur is actually becoming a major power and focal point in my Misbegotten Realms campaign... amazing how just swapping its geographic location with Turmish changed everything).

Here I was trying to find a way to tie a 'return of the king' scenario into the lost bloodline, and you handed me the tools to do quite a few other things with my blended setting.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Aug 2013 14:52:42
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  18:09:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad that it's useful.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3504 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  19:36:44  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it when you have musings on things, especially when it involves Soneillon and Impiltur. I will definitely be using Vhost, although I swear I have heard that name before in a sourcebook. That Whinonas guy sounds thoroughly dastardly.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  00:33:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I love it when you have musings on things, especially when it involves Soneillon and Impiltur. I will definitely be using Vhost, although I swear I have heard that name before in a sourcebook. That Whinonas guy sounds thoroughly dastardly.

You're probably thinking of Vhostym, the Sojourner, from Paul Kemp's novels.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  14:56:41  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can only repeat, awfully nice lore there.

thanks for that!!
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  15:27:09  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello George,

Having recently red the trilogy about the dragon rage, do not remember the name, but a dragon vampire named brimstone and a hakf golem in there, i have been windering what it is with the hobgoblins of the grey forest.
they are recruited by the evil odragon side as usual, but what i was surprised about is that they are described almost as savages.
So is it right that these tribes inthe grey forest are no descendants from the haekruckh ones or have they simply fallen in barbary?
Any information is as always highly appreciated.

Thanks
JK
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5969 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  17:10:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
love the Thaeril / Whinonas piece. Definitely would make the "Mordanon's Scepter" into an intelligent magic item using the rules for intelligent items from the Book of Eldritch Magic 3. Let the item talk, possibly attack on its own, etc.....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  04:49:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Dawn Ages, called by by some sages the Time of Dragons, the lands of modern-day Aglarond, Thesk, Ashanath, the Great Dale, Narfell and Impiltur were covered by a huge, nameless forest, of which the Yuirwood, the Forest of Lethyr and the Rawlinswood are the only surviving remnants. Primitive human tribes roamed this great forest, safe on the whole from the attention of the great dragons and later the giants who ruled.

Of these tribes, history has provided us with only a single name - the Yuir - and much of what we know about them comes from the unique means by which the Yuir, their history and some of their gods were subsumed into the historical record of the elves.

This grouping of human tribes, whom sages refer to as the Arthraen (from a bastardization of an elvish term for "forest hunters") had lived in the forests for millennia, eking out an existence whilst striving to avoid the predations of first the sarrukh of Okoth - who had a presence on what is now known as the Thaymount, which may have been a stronghold of the Ba'etith - and then the dragons and the giants who would raid the forests for food and slaves.

Elven history and the unique interactions between the elves who first came to the modern-day Yuirwood and the indigenous human population there, preserved some of the gods of the Arthraen. Those gods were Magnar, Relkath, Zandilar, Elikarashae and the Simbul. There were at least five others worshipped by the Yuir and assumedly by the the other humans of the forest lands. Their names and their areas of deific influence are lost to history. Sages and loremasters postulate that the known gods of the Arthraen had the following rough 'portfolios':

Relkath - nature
Magnar - war and strength
Zandilar - love and passion
Elikarashae - hunting and survival
Simbul - fate

It is thought that the Arthraen had gods for the sky/weather, hearth/home and tribal/familial life, and evil/darkness, but this is just postulation on the part of sages.

The last cohesive remnant of the humans known as the Arthraen were the ancient Nar. They turned away from the worship of their ancient gods and fell to venerating the dark powers of the Abyss. This occurred following their exposure to the horrors of Narathmault, the Dark Pit, known to modern historians as Dun Tharos. With the advent of their demon worship, all record of the ancient gods of the Arthraen was erased, save for what had been preserved in the Yuirwood.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 07 Sep 2013 05:02:03
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  04:58:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

Hello George,

Having recently red the trilogy about the dragon rage, do not remember the name, but a dragon vampire named brimstone and a hakf golem in there, i have been windering what it is with the hobgoblins of the grey forest.
they are recruited by the evil odragon side as usual, but what i was surprised about is that they are described almost as savages.
So is it right that these tribes inthe grey forest are no descendants from the haekruckh ones or have they simply fallen in barbary?
Any information is as always highly appreciated.

Thanks
JK

Hi Jakuta Khan

The hobgoblins of the modern-day Grey Forest were remnants of the horde that assaulted the lands of Impiltur in 1095 DR. Located there and in areas of the nearby Earthfast Mountains, their small numbers and relative isolation saw them slide slowly into a more barbaric existence than most hobgoblin communities, typified by the name they adopted for themselves, which was the "Naerk" or "lost" in their tongue. This slide was compounded by a loss of their shamanic traditions and more lip service than significant worship of Malglubiyet.

Hope this helps.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5969 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  03:20:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

In the Dawn Ages, called by by some sages the Time of Dragons, the lands of modern-day Aglarond, Thesk, Ashanath, the Great Dale, Narfell and Impiltur were covered by a huge, nameless forest, of which the Yuirwood, the Forest of Lethyr and the Rawlinswood are the only surviving remnants. Primitive human tribes roamed this great forest, safe on the whole from the attention of the great dragons and later the giants who ruled.

Of these tribes, history has provided us with only a single name - the Yuir - and much of what we know about them comes from the unique means by which the Yuir, their history and some of their gods were subsumed into the historical record of the elves.

This grouping of human tribes, whom sages refer to as the Arthraen (from a bastardization of an elvish term for "forest hunters") had lived in the forests for millennia, eking out an existence whilst striving to avoid the predations of first the sarrukh of Okoth - who had a presence on what is now known as the Thaymount, which may have been a stronghold of the Ba'etith - and then the dragons and the giants who would raid the forests for food and slaves.

Elven history and the unique interactions between the elves who first came to the modern-day Yuirwood and the indigenous human population there, preserved some of the gods of the Arthraen. Those gods were Magnar, Relkath, Zandilar, Elikarashae and the Simbul. There were at least five others worshipped by the Yuir and assumedly by the the other humans of the forest lands. Their names and their areas of deific influence are lost to history. Sages and loremasters postulate that the known gods of the Arthraen had the following rough 'portfolios':

Relkath - nature
Magnar - war and strength
Zandilar - love and passion
Elikarashae - hunting and survival
Simbul - fate

It is thought that the Arthraen had gods for the sky/weather, hearth/home and tribal/familial life, and evil/darkness, but this is just postulation on the part of sages.

The last cohesive remnant of the humans known as the Arthraen were the ancient Nar. They turned away from the worship of their ancient gods and fell to venerating the dark powers of the Abyss. This occurred following their exposure to the horrors of Narathmault, the Dark Pit, known to modern historians as Dun Tharos. With the advent of their demon worship, all record of the ancient gods of the Arthraen was erased, save for what had been preserved in the Yuirwood.

-- George Krashos

The question becomes were these "gods"/Estelar OR were they "gods"/Archfey?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  08:31:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I'm not a huge fan of the 4E push for and shoehorning of Archfey and primordials into the deific mix of the Realms, in my setting they would be what you call "Estelar". Nothing in the sources about the Yuir gods supports the proposition that they were anything but a standard roster of deities, no different to the pantheon generated by the Netherese.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  11:05:37  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, I've been writing down questions to ask you in a notebook as they come to me. I have many (at least 10 or so), but I'll just stick to some of the more pressing ones for me:
1) I feel like this may potentially be a stupid question, but I couldn't recall reading a specific answer, but do cities like Lyrabar or Sarshel have a militia or a town watch, or is the peace kept purely by the Warswords?
2) Now I haven't, nor do I intend to read "The Crimson Gold", so I know nothing of Thazienne Uskreven and her apparent abilities to casually take on demon lords, but after their big battle, what ends up happening to Hadryllis?
I suppose on a side note, how do you feel about Hadryllis's recent bout with Eltab?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  12:06:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lukas

The major cities of Impiltur along the Easting Coast all have the equivalent of a town watch or local constabulary. Lyrabar has the biggest (about 1000) while Dilpur has the smallest (about 300). All of these cities also have Warsword barracks on the outskirts that can call on up to 4 'warpoints' of the Warswords (a 'warpoint' is a force of 250 warblades, 5 warswords, and an alorn leader. Four warpoints make a 'warspear', which is led by a Highsword - see "Power of Faerun", p.29). This should be contrasted with the term 'swordpoint', which is used for a hired blade working for the Impiltur military. Impiltur doesn't have a huge standing army and has always been reliant on mercenaries to make up numbers in a crisis.

I have read "The Crimson Gold" and it doesn't feature the sword Hadryllis. Tazi Uskreven kills a human 'host' for the demonlord Eltab and he is once again vanquished (without the destruction of the Adamantine Binding, he can't be truly banished from Faerun - he justs gets sent to a demoncyst, thereby trapping him again as per the write up in "Champions of Ruin"). Hadryllis has its own write-up in the "Champions of Valor" sourcebook (p.65) for which you can thank Eric Boyd. He noted its presence in the adventure contained in the "Spellbound" boxed set but didn't come up with anything definitive on its current whereabouts. This was left up in the air on purpose for DMs to use the item in their own campaigns however they wished. So how do I feel about Hadryllis' recent bout with Eltab? Just as fine as I did the first time I read the "Spellbound" boxed set.

Keep the questions coming. I really do enjoy this stuff. Thanks for taking an interest.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 06 Oct 2015 13:14:32
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  01:09:36  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know about Hadryllis's involvement in "Spellbound", so I'm excited to read through that. I had some information mixed up in my head, so I thank you for setting me straight on that since I'm in the beginning stages of a campaign which I would love to eventually have explore some of the major issues which are sort of "behind the scenes" (and indeed the players will find that they will be involved with certain major powers whether or not they ever discover the who's and why's). I figured Hadryllis's future was left open as a tool for GMs, but I got mixed up on its more recent involvement it seems.
I know I've looked at the handy table in "Power of Faerun", but I must've skipped over the part you're referring to. I shall reread it and take notes.

Well, I shall take it as an invitation to ask more then! I have a small question, and a larger one:
1) I get that Eltab is an entity driven by a very deep-set and burning rage and vengeance, but with 28 intelligence and 24 wisdom, I feel like he's occasionally portrayed as too quick-to-action and overlooks things; I would figure he'd have some intense intuition. I mean, I get that he's an alien being, so defining his nature is somewhat difficult, but I feel like he should at least heavily suspect that Soneillon isn't on his side. What are your thoughts, great Loremaster? (I, of course, mean absolutely no disrespect. Sometimes I come off a little more dicky than I mean to).
On another side note: Ndulu is no longer an Eltab-supporter/lieutenant is he?
2) Is the Belfry of Battle a temple to Tempus in the same way that the Towers of Lamentation are to Ilmater? I can't recall reading anything on it.

I was rushed so I didn't get a chance to proofread this. Hopefully it all makes sense. Thanks for any and all help, Mr. Krashos.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4907 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  06:15:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Well, I shall take it as an invitation to ask more then! I have a small question, and a larger one:

Sure thing. Just one rule: I'm George, not Mr Krashos.

quote:

1) I get that Eltab is an entity driven by a very deep-set and burning rage and vengeance, but with 28 intelligence and 24 wisdom, I feel like he's occasionally portrayed as too quick-to-action and overlooks things; I would figure he'd have some intense intuition. I mean, I get that he's an alien being, so defining his nature is somewhat difficult, but I feel like he should at least heavily suspect that Soneillon isn't on his side. What are your thoughts, great Loremaster? (I, of course, mean absolutely no disrespect. Sometimes I come off a little more dicky than I mean to).

Eltab is well ... frustrated. So his high Intelligence and Wisdom don't change the fact that his overwhelming driver is to be free to return to the Abyss. Oh and kill everyone who has put him in this predicament for the last 1500 or so years. He is the victim of a millennia plus backstab by the demon prince Fraz-Urb'luu (which Fraz has pinned on Orcus) and has come oh so close on at least three occasion to escaping his imprisonment. He's not a fool, but he's not in control of his situation so that means his desperation sees him take any chance to end his subjugation.

Oh, and where did you get the idea that Soneillon was ever on Eltab's side in the first place? Soneillon is ostensibly in Orcus' camp - and very much a free agent with her own agenda - and has never had much contact with Eltab. She travelled to the Citadel of Conjurers during the Fiend Wars and pledged herself to his service, but that was just lip service to a disembodied Eltab projecting himself out of the Hall of the Hidden Throne. When she realised just how impotent he was/is, she hitched her star to another, more active player ... which brings me to your next query.

quote:

On another side note: Ndulu is no longer an Eltab-supporter/lieutenant is he?

No, no he's not. He was a trusted lieutenant and de-facto ruler of a fair chunk of Eltab's layer in the Abyss (in Eltab's name), but he realised that he couldn't stand against the other demonlords and princes if they came in force to take the layer for their own (the only reason it hasn't been claimed by Graz'zt, Fraz, Orcus or Demogorgon is that they constantly undermine each other and work to scuttle the other's schemes). Each of them has a presence on the 248th layer, but none can truly say they "rule" it. He still rules his patch in Eltab's name, but has no loyalty at all for his former master.

Ndulu's summoning to the prime in 726 DR opened his eyes to the vistas of opportunity available to him, away from the "big boys" of the Abyss. He hasn't truly been in Eltab's camp ever since and has allied with Soneillon (for a time), curried favour with Orcus - which enabled him to create the Moaning Crown of Ndulu - and now lusts to be returned to Faerun once again so he can establish a realm of his own. He learned much from his defeat in 786 DR, and strives to be given an opportunity to try again.

quote:

2) Is the Belfry of Battle a temple to Tempus in the same way that the Towers of Lamentation are to Ilmater? I can't recall reading anything on it.

Yes it is, but could best be described as a fortified abbey. It was created for my Impiltur article in Dragon #346 and is undetailed. Use it as you like!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 41 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000