Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  05:20:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I also had an unpublished Dragon article way back decades ago that was titled "Khanor's Prayer Stones" which dealt with new dwarven priest spells of the North, which I ended up putting on the Realms-L. I don't have a copy as it was written on a now dead MAC. I've tried to find it on the internet, but no luck so far. I've always wondered if some FR magpie had kept a copy somewhere ...
Oooo! That might be stretching the limits of even my voluminous archives of online Realmslore, Krash.

I'll certainly look, but I think the only stuff I've saved from the REALMS-L regarding those spells, were the follow-up posts made by you and AJA. Not the actual article itself. But, as I said, I'll take a look.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  01:53:59  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr. Krashos,

I was curious if you could share any more information about Tethyamar that you mentioned in Grand History of the Realms. There was listed the sites of Blackrock Gate, the runegate at Dorn's Needle, and Helgrinn's Arch.

Are these all located above ground in the Desertmouth mountains? Are they separate entrances into the Mines of Tethyamar or each their own individual hold? I was never sure if Tethyamar spanned most the mountain range or only a few of them in its northern reaches.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  19:46:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi Mr. Krashos,

I was curious if you could share any more information about Tethyamar that you mentioned in Grand History of the Realms. There was listed the sites of Blackrock Gate, the runegate at Dorn's Needle, and Helgrinn's Arch.

Are these all located above ground in the Desertmouth mountains? Are they separate entrances into the Mines of Tethyamar or each their own individual hold? I was never sure if Tethyamar spanned most the mountain range or only a few of them in its northern reaches.

Thank you

As you may have noticed, THO has just provided some (welcome) Ed lore on Tethyamar.

In relation to your specific questions, Dorn's Needle is a spire of rock (about 30-feet high and 35 feet in diameter) that stands in the Tunlands, a short ride from the western fringes of the Marsh of Tun and overlooking same. In the time of Oghrann it had been capped by a small sentinel post (since shattered by a dragon attack centuries ago and now leaving few traces except some worked stone underfoot at the flattish top) and served as a rallying point for dwarven warriors of that ancient realm seeking to hurl back the many monsters and raiders that would sweep through the Helbryn (as the plains between the mountains were called) from time to time.

In the years that followed the founding of Tethyamar, the dwarves of that kingdom built a portal using rune magic to link the dwarven communities of the Far Hills and the Mines. The portal is keyed for dwarves only and the access point is on the south-western side of the Needle where a gorse bush covered smooth stone expanse (5-foot high by 4 feet wide) pushes inwards at a firm push leading to a short worked stone tunnel corridor that travels 10-feet into the Needle and leads to a hollowed out square chamber that is still only 5 feet high but can hold approximately 20 dwarves in full battle armour. The north-eastern face of the chamber has an "arch" of stone engraved with dwarven runes that recesses a total of a dwarven stride (about 3 feet) into the wall. Any dwarf that walks into the recess is whisked away by the portal to its other terminus. All other creatures simply face a blank stone wall. This runegate is known to the dwarves of the Far Hills but they do not guard it or seek to prevent any dwarf from using it. It is known that the Harpers know of its existence and it has been used as a temporary Harper cache and bolt hole from time to time.

The "other side" of this portal is located at Helgrinn's Arch. In the days of Tethyamar this was a trading post in the eastern foothills of the Desertsmouth Mtns on the banks of the Tesh, two days travel upriver from Dagger Falls. There is little left of Helgrinn's Arch but the portal access point can be found on a cliff-face along the river bank, now heavily overgrown and not readily discernible to anyone not specifically looking for it. As at Dorn's Needle the cliff face has an "arch" of stone engraved with dwarven runes that recesses three feet into the rock face.

Blackrock Gate was the southernmost 'entrance' to the Mines of Tethyamar (entrance as in guarded by the dwarves and large enough for 20 dwarves to march abreast into the mine complex proper). Located atop a switchback road (wide enough for two carts to travel abreast) down into a valley floor (portions of the road were trapped and constructed such that they contained deep, spike-lined pit sections which the orcs discovered to their dismay in the assault on the Mines), the Gate was exactly that - a large gate made of black stone that turned outward and fit seamlessly with the rockface it was located in. The turning mechanism relied on a clever (but complicated) stone counter-weight pulley system, which may or may not be operational to this day. The gate itself contains several hundred adamantine "pipes" through it on a horizontal access that the dwarves had inserted using stoneflow magic. The internal gate face had attached to it a battery of repeating light crossbows aligned with the adamantine "pipes" and coordinated to fire either in unison or in sections depending on what triggers were pulled. This effectively made the area on the outer face of the gate an enormous killing field. The orcs never prevailed against Blackrock Gate and it remains inviolate to this day. The tunnels leading to it from the "other side" were collapsed by the dwarves in the last desperate days of the kingdom, and it is thought that a sizable cluster of chambers and halls remain untouched behind it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 14 Sep 2012 19:47:17
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2012 :  04:11:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi Mr. Krashos,

Thank you

As you may have noticed, THO has just provided some (welcome) Ed lore on Tethyamar.

In relation to your specific questions, Dorn's Needle is a spire of rock (about 30-feet high and 35 feet in diameter) that stands in the Tunlands, a short ride from the western fringes of the Marsh of Tun and overlooking same. In the time of Oghrann it had been capped by a small sentinel post (since shattered by a dragon attack centuries ago and now leaving few traces except some worked stone underfoot at the flattish top) and served as a rallying point for dwarven warriors of that ancient realm seeking to hurl back the many monsters and raiders that would sweep through the Helbryn (as the plains between the mountains were called) from time to time.

In the years that followed the founding of Tethyamar, the dwarves of that kingdom built a portal using rune magic to link the dwarven communities of the Far Hills and the Mines. The portal is keyed for dwarves only and the access point is on the south-western side of the Needle where a gorse bush covered smooth stone expanse (5-foot high by 4 feet wide) pushes inwards at a firm push leading to a short worked stone tunnel corridor that travels 10-feet into the Needle and leads to a hollowed out square chamber that is still only 5 feet high but can hold approximately 20 dwarves in full battle armour. The north-eastern face of the chamber has an "arch" of stone engraved with dwarven runes that recesses a total of a dwarven stride (about 3 feet) into the wall. Any dwarf that walks into the recess is whisked away by the portal to its other terminus. All other creatures simply face a blank stone wall. This runegate is known to the dwarves of the Far Hills but they do not guard it or seek to prevent any dwarf from using it. It is known that the Harpers know of its existence and it has been used as a temporary Harper cache and bolt hole from time to time.

The "other side" of this portal is located at Helgrinn's Arch. In the days of Tethyamar this was a trading post in the eastern foothills of the Desertsmouth Mtns on the banks of the Tesh, two days travel upriver from Dagger Falls. There is little left of Helgrinn's Arch but the portal access point can be found on a cliff-face along the river bank, now heavily overgrown and not readily discernible to anyone not specifically looking for it. As at Dorn's Needle the cliff face has an "arch" of stone engraved with dwarven runes that recesses three feet into the rock face.

Blackrock Gate was the southernmost 'entrance' to the Mines of Tethyamar (entrance as in guarded by the dwarves and large enough for 20 dwarves to march abreast into the mine complex proper). Located atop a switchback road (wide enough for two carts to travel abreast) down into a valley floor (portions of the road were trapped and constructed such that they contained deep, spike-lined pit sections which the orcs discovered to their dismay in the assault on the Mines), the Gate was exactly that - a large gate made of black stone that turned outward and fit seamlessly with the rockface it was located in. The turning mechanism relied on a clever (but complicated) stone counter-weight pulley system, which may or may not be operational to this day. The gate itself contains several hundred adamantine "pipes" through it on a horizontal access that the dwarves had inserted using stoneflow magic. The internal gate face had attached to it a battery of repeating light crossbows aligned with the adamantine "pipes" and coordinated to fire either in unison or in sections depending on what triggers were pulled. This effectively made the area on the outer face of the gate an enormous killing field. The orcs never prevailed against Blackrock Gate and it remains inviolate to this day. The tunnels leading to it from the "other side" were collapsed by the dwarves in the last desperate days of the kingdom, and it is thought that a sizable cluster of chambers and halls remain untouched behind it.

-- George Krashos

Awesome. Thank you very much. I hope in 5E we some work done with Tethyamar and some more with Daggerdale. Maybe it's the frontier feeling but it's always been my favorite part of the Dales.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  13:31:51  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, thanks for the help in Ed's post, I'm still trying to track down Grand History of the Realms, but once I do, I'll have that answer. And now here's another one. In your "The Magic of Mantles "

You mention that the Symbol greatly wants to retreave the work 'Mhaelosian Mantles' there, and I was curious exactly how far and to what extent might she go to, pre-spellplague, to get it?

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  18:31:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sightless. Are you asking whether she would kill for it? Yes, if it was in the hands of those who would do evil with it, or were linked to the classic bad guys (the Red Wizards, the Zhents, the Twisted Rune, etc), she wouldn't hesitate. It gets harder for her if it ends up in the hands of an entity like the Harpers or in Candlekeep. In such circumstances, she would likely seek to parley for it first, trading away items, spells or lore, in fair trade. If that didn't work, then it is likely that she would seek to seize it by force, but try and avoid as much collateral damage and death as possible.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  19:43:35  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good, then my character might still live then. thanks George.

If I ever play him again that is.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  10:57:38  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, since this is the first post I write on this scroll: Thank you so much for the sandcastles you make in our shared sandbox, George! It is always truly inspired and inspiring. Thank you.

I don't know if anybody else has asked about this... but could you shed a little more light on who... or just what the "dusky-skinned male elf with serpent-like eyes" in your Mhaelosian Mantles write-up is?

I know I end up saying thanks a lot, but.. thanks in advance ^_^

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  15:59:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

First of all, since this is the first post I write on this scroll: Thank you so much for the sandcastles you make in our shared sandbox, George! It is always truly inspired and inspiring. Thank you.

I don't know if anybody else has asked about this... but could you shed a little more light on who... or just what the "dusky-skinned male elf with serpent-like eyes" in your Mhaelosian Mantles write-up is?

I know I end up saying thanks a lot, but.. thanks in advance ^_^

Hi Duneth

It's my pleasure to come up with stuff that people find useful or inspiring.

The golden rule of writing in the Realms, acolyte as I am of Ed, Steven Schend and Eric Boyd, has always been to leave dangling realmslore hooks for DMs, fans and general observers to latch onto. The "dusky-skinned male elf with serpent-like eyes" is one such dangling hook - you can make of it what you will.

That said, I envisaged the notable in question to be one of two possible things: a sarrukh in spell disguise or a dark elf (not a drow, but a real dark elf, likely from Ilythiir). That doesn't mean that the individual in question can't be someone or something else, but that was the kind of individual I was aiming at.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  17:17:50  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm amazed at how fast you Loremasters answer. Eytan as well replied within hours of my post. It is such a great pleasure to have writers that are so devoted to the Realms and their fanbase.

Since my post, my thoughts had wandered in the direction of Isstosseffifil's legacy and Oreme for the serpent-eyed fellow, so I am psyched that you too had Sarrukh in mind... nevertheless I'm highly intrigued as to how in the Nine Hells of Baator a Dark Elf would have avoided Corellon's curse, an Ilythiiri at that, since even the Miyeritari were affected by the curse... Chronomancy? Planar Exile? .. makes you wonder. (Which reminds me of: what happened to the Green elves of Miyeritar when the curse and Descent occured?) ... so many wonderful questions and mysteries to explore. I guess that's why we love the Realms.

Of course I know that the lore is whatever I choose to make of it... but if I ask, it is because I'm unsatisfied with what I myself can come up with or because I just know that what Loremasters, such as yourself, have to offer is so magnificently inventive.

Furthermore, I like to stick to canon, as I find it allows for wonderful easter eggs and a feeling of coherence, when your players later play a FR-PC game, play in another FR-campaign or read a FR novel and recognize the world as the same as the one their characters explore on the tabletop (and in their imaginations!).

And as always: many many thanks!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  14:22:20  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just stumbled upon this in DDGttU:

A libram entitled Mhuelosiun [[I think the RCR maybe messed up "Mhaelosian"... can anyone with a hardcopy confirm this?]] Mantles has recently been
offered for sale in the markets of Ooltul. This legendary
spell tome was penned in the years leading up to the
Crown vs. Scepter Wars between Hlondath and Cormanthyr
by the Mage Royal of Mhaelos, and is said to set out
the process for creating one or more of the legendary spell
mantles for which the Netherese arcanists were so
famous. While this value of this tome is inestimable,
acquiring the asking price is nearly impossible. It is said
that the would-be buyer must exchange the true name of
at least one of the Chosen of Mystra for this compendium.

Just thought I'd share.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  08:21:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That tidbit and Ed's article on elven magic in one of the Dragon Annuals formed the foundation of my mantle write-up. Tough to weave together, but I thought the lore stood up quite well in the end - the epic spellcasting mechanics? ... Hmmm.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  05:11:53  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,
How did Kossuth feel about being summoned to Faerun by the Raumvari?

How long was he on Faerun during the Great Conflagration?

By what mechanism did he leave Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  11:25:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hidden Lord

George,
How did Kossuth feel about being summoned to Faerun by the Raumvari?

How long was he on Faerun during the Great Conflagration?

By what mechanism did he leave Faerun?

I have touched on this in a previous post on one of Ed's threads. At that time I said:

The events of the Great Conflagration are noted in some detail in my entry in GHotR (p.55). Space did not permit me to go into the minutiae of every clash and battle but it can be said that the decade-long war brought devastation to both sides and realms. At the end, it can be observed that Narfell was "winning" but the final summoning of an avatar of Kossuth brought incredible destruction to the region. The avatar started its journey of destruction in present-day Thay, skirted the woodlands of Lethyr and moved into Narfell proper, trailing devastation in its wake and seemingly immune to attempts to return it from whence it came. It then turned east, avoiding Rashemen, and plunged into the grasslands of Raumathar bringing with it a firestorm of death that was only quelled when the avatar disappeared suddenly on the outskirts of ruined Winterkeep. To this day sages do not understand the reasons why Kossuth's avatar journeyed as it did or what compulsion drove it onward but in the words of the loremaster Eirolon of Procampur, "Fire is always inscrutable and hungry. Do not seek to understand it, but give it the healthy respect you would a dragon or an archdevil. Things are usually safer that way."

In terms of the "hard details", in my view Kossuth doesn't feel anything. In my vision of the elemental powers, they simply ... exist and are absolutely inscrutable and impenetrable. So how did he feel? Pretty much normal, I reckon.

Kossuth's trail of destruction took place over the course of about twenty or so days.

As to the mechanism of his unsummoning ... gee, that Winterkeep is a mysterious place, isn't it?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  17:00:46  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was Kossuth unsummoned, or did he leave by his own power/volition?
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  04:08:40  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, what was one, or were some, of the arcane breakthroughs or milestones that lead to the Raumvari cultural revolution that lead them from nomadic, hunter gatherers to reknowned battle-mages?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  05:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey George, have you considered a compiled write-up of Tethyamar?

I would be really interested to see how you wove that together!

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  06:15:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Hidden Lord: I'll get back to you. Lots of stuff to think through.

@Dalor Darden: A "Ruins of Tethyamar" product has always been a secret dream of mine, although I'm not so naive as to think that I could actually write such a product with the job/time pressures I currently am under. I lack Ed's brilliance, Steven's conceptualisation skills and Eric's energy to ever write a full-fledged product. I'm good for "bits" ... which reminds me that I have a few to deliver to Eric this weekend.

Dwarves are my secret passion. Tolkien's take on them first stirred my imagination, and FR11 remains pretty much my favourite Realms product of all time. I'd love to see more in-print lore and info on them and hope that some of the "lesser subjects" will get a bit more love in the 5E Realms. We've done elves and drow to death and back. Time to let some other races shine.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  22:58:44  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, what was one, or were some, of the arcane breakthroughs or milestones that lead to the Raumvari cultural revolution that lead them from nomadic, hunter gatherers to reknowned battle-mages?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  23:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Accidental double post?

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13135 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  00:27:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Hidden Lord - some of that was covered in the novel Frostfell, by Mark Sehestedt. It appears they started out with a druidic culture, but then were 'corrupted' by captured demon-binders (at least one, anyway).

So it looks like they went from a powerful nature-based type of magic and culture to something more mechanical, but that appears to have been a very late development*, so it was probably due to one of those 'military escalation' things. Both Raumathar and Narfell were Imaskari survivor states, and it stands to reason much of that knowledge was gleaned from their heritage . The Imaskari were called 'artificers', which means they were builders of arcane devices, which would have included automatons, and they were also consummate summoners (due to their knowledge of of the planes). Narfell & Raumathar choose to follow different paths, but they both had access to the same teachings.

Hopefully, someday George will be given the opportunity to string all the random bits together in an official product - there is a fascinating story going on there.

*I say this because their war machines are not even mentioned in the Frostfell novel, so that must have occurred after their initial slide into more insidious pursuits (which is covered by the novel).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Oct 2012 00:28:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13135 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  21:14:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey BUUUUUDDY...

LOL - you know when someone starts off that way they are going to ask for something.

I need a run-down on the inter-relationships of the Uthgardt/Rengardt and whatever other barbarinas were running around in the North at one time or another (like the Reghedmen, Snow people, Gur, Traell, Ice Hunters, Eraka, etc)

Maybe to keep it simple, just the relationships of those first two with the Netherese.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  02:48:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but where is the reference to "Traell" from?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13135 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  05:52:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its the name of the (rather primitive) tribal folk living around the Hartsvale area. The name was used in the Giant among Us novel by Troy Denning.

It could possibly be a giantish word for the Ice Hunters.

You, ignorant? Thats a laugh.

Very few people make me feel 'FR inadequate'.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Oct 2012 05:53:25
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  12:58:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The horsemen of Raumathar were vassals of Imaskar for a lengthy period and to describe them as "nomadic, hunter-gatherers" is incorrect. To give you both a fantasy and real world touchstone, they were more "Rohan" than they were "Sioux".

In terms of magic use, the Raumathari were not big creators of magic items, but enthusiastic magpies, stripping Imaskari outposts and settlements of much of their useful magic and sending expeditions into present-day Murghom and a few even into Raurin itself seeking even more.

Sorcery was "in the blood" as it were, and it is thought that the clans and tribes that were given leadership positions under the aegis of the Imaskari were chosen for this talent. The origins of this magical legacy is thought to be the great dragon kingdoms of millennia past, and there is evidence in some still-existing draconic artifacts [in the archeological, not magical sense] of at least one dragon kingdom in the area where humans were slaves to draconic rulers. The most notable of these is Gaerthalin's Skull in the Spiderhaunt Peaks, named for the human explorer who first brought word of it to the lands of the Inner Sea in the early 1300s DR, but known to locals for centuries as Argartarl, the "Dragonhead" in a local tongue.

Gaerthalin's Skull is the petrified skull of a great copper wyrm, etched with draconic runes and seemingly a record of a now lost dragon kingdom that existed in the region before the Crown Wars. The remaining runes - for the elements have erased much of its surface - do not name the dragon ruler of this land (thought by some to be 'Kerlathar' and others 'Dyarlintul' - both names are found on the skull, but without context) but a section gives details of his servants and the rare gift of magic that was sometimes granted by the ingesting of some of his blood.

In the time of Raumathar's conflict with Narfell, there were two "watershed" moments that created and contributed to the legend of their storied "battlemages".

I note that "battlemage" is a clumsy term, first fostered by the scholar Galros of Candlekeep, whose field of study was the lands east of the Inner Sea. Galros was a painstaking and thorough archeologist, but his linguistic expertise was less than stellar. He derived the term "battlemage" from the word "tarannaerl", which was one of the Raumathari terms for its warriors. While "tar" was indeed "battle" in the Raumathari tongue, and "naer" was a word for "user of magic", the term in fact is better translated as "magically enspelled (naerl) battle champion (taran)" and was used specifically for the elite warriors handpicked and trained to infiltrate Nar strongholds and shatter their wards and bindings so as to unleash demonic servitors on their erstwhile masters. It is known that a team of tarannaerl managed to gain entrance into the Citadel Of Conjurers in the last days of the Great Conflagration, undoing many of the spell wards there and making the place untenable for humans thereby robbing the Nar of a last great bastion in which to make a final stand.

The first watershed moment was the accession of Vayloss as Arkhan of Raumathar in -605 DR. Vayloss was a powerful sorcerer and the first to actively harness this talent in his people. He established "elanaer", which were the Raumathari equivalent of wizard schools where sorcerous talent was identified in the young and fostered and refined. Over time, the "elanaer" divided along elemental school lines, creating four separate groupings devoted to fire, earth, air and water respectively. The "elanaer" were responsible for training mages for battle and created a cadre of spellcasters who were fit and ready for military service in times of war.

The second watershed moment was in the reign of Tallos II, when an Imaskari trove of construct magic and spell lore was discovered in the Shalhoond. Thought to be the work of a cabal of wizards led by the Artificer Wardde, this gift of magic was embraced by the Raumathari and for the first time in their history, the organised study of magic was promoted. The wizard class flourished and grew in this period throughout the kingdom and much in the way of resources was devoted to this specialised area of wizardry. The construct army that were built in the reign of Tallos IV only just failed to give Raumathar victory in the Great Conflagration, when it was unleashed upon the armies of Narfell.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000