Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  18:10:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Hail thee, Loremaster Krashos.
With no further introduction, then, my query (several, but why quibbble?)

Ooooh excellent series of questions, I'll definitely second that post please. I know that the Triad Crusade saved/rescued the 'Old Impiltur' from evil and chaos and made it into the 'New Impiltur', and would be really pleased to see how Knights and Barons function within 'New Impiltur'.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  04:08:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Hail thee, Loremaster Krashos.

Hi.

quote:

[navy]Impiltur is a place overflowing with knights. Some of these are presumably servants of churches. Are these knighted by simple clerical fiat or by a compact between certain churches/temples (say, the Triad) and the Crown?

Your answer (in some detail) can be found in "Champions of Valor" (p.88). The Knights of Imphras II are the only knightly order in official existence in Impiltur. By official, I mean sanctioned by the monarchy. The various holy orders of the Triad noted in the "Faiths & Avatars" book do not have an independent existence in Impiltur and if they want to exist in the kingdom, must also have membership in the Knights of Imphras II.

Other religious orders of knights for other faiths cannot openly exist in Impiltur. Many faiths have members of such knightly orders present in their temples and religious properties but they cannot openly parade outside of those areas in their knightly panoply. On at least two occasions in the last decade, members of the Helmite order of paladins known as the Vigilant Eyes of the God have marched from Tsurlagol to Lyrabar to petition the Crown to allow them to operate openly in the lands of Impiltur. Their requests have been politely declined and no action has been taken against them for their flouting of the law of the realms.

quote:
Are there knights with titles granted by secular authorities as well?

Oh indeed, the Crown knights lots of individual warriors. But that is exactly what it does - knight individuals. These knights are typically know as "Loyal Knights". There are no knightly orders in Impiltur save for the Knights of Imphras II. And it is only the ruling monarch that can grant a knighthood. The regency does so in the name of the reigning monarch (yes, Impiltur has always had a reigning monarch, just a really bad run in getting them from reigning to ruling lately) but in practical terms, it is the Council of Lords who give the okay in such matters - at least until King Imbrar II takes the throne. Loyal knights are prevalently leaders or retired leaders of the Warswords of Impiltur. Very, very few knighthoods have been conferred on individuals who have not hefted a sword for the realm.

It is thought that King Lashilmbrar toyed with the idea of creating additional orders of knights - tied too him personally through that ever-effective medium known as gold - but even he baulked at having to deal with the repercussions this would have caused in dealings with the representatives of the Triad faiths.

quote:
What are the legal consequences under Impilturan law of being a 'knight'** and by what title are you addressed?
**That is, can you build a castle? Can you keep a small retinue or even a large private army? Do you have legal privileges? Do these apply to religious as well as secular knighthoods?

Impiltur is old-fashioned in terms of matters of address for knights. It uses the word "orn" instead of "sir" (Orn being an old Jhaamdathi word for 'servant'. Ornar is the plural) which has been maintained since the earliest days of the kingdom.

The legal consequences of being a knight of Impiltur are that you have a right of appeal in all legal matters to the Crown (which in the current kingdom means nothing as the Lords Courts are run by the Council and the Council also calls the shots regarding anything to do with the Crown, so these appeal rights typically only serve to allow an aggrieved party to get a bit of publicity for their cause - all such appeals are traditionally proclaimed by a herald at Court in an open audience with the petitioner, the reigning monarch, the regent and any courtiers that are "at court". The Council has let it be known that such displays can be very disadvantageous to the future prospects of any such complainants); receive a nominal stipend from the Crown on an annual basis (typically in the order of 200gp a year); gain the ability to have a coat of arms approved by a Herald; and gain the right to have an armed retinue (limited to 20 warriors of any sort which must be all named and registered with the Crown and must wear appropriate livery (i.e. clothes/tokens that allow an observer to identify which knight of the kingdom they serve) when carrying weapons in general public). Loyal knights have a standing obligation to surrender their armed retinues to service in the Warswords if "requested to" (in the name of the king of course) by any Warsword of Vigilar rank or higher or any Warwand of the realm.

Loyal knights can build castles/keeps if they so choose, and are typically encouraged to do so in the Uplands or the Farwater where they act as a local bulwark against raiders and usually act in concert with Royal Constables to assist with matters of security.

Hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  09:15:25  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

Aye most helpful George, always great to hear more detailed Impilturan lore.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  14:40:23  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I do find that I need a kickstart though, so if anyone wants to ask any questions here about ... well, just about anything Realmsian, I'd be more than happy to do some weaving."

Has anyone attempted a Damaran lineage of monarchs of the kind listed in the GHotR? 'Twouldn't be that long of a line methinks

1075 – Damara became a kingdom, with the founding of Heliogabalus by Feldrin Bloodfeathers (RoF p89)
1075-???? Feldrin Bloodfeathers
????
????
????
????
????
????
????
????
????
????
????-1347 Virdin Bloodfeathers
1347 – King Virdin Bloodfeathers of Damara is killed at the battle of Goliad (RoF p89) (GTotR p116,118) (CotR p37)
1347-1359 - no monarch, kingdom at war
1359 – Zhengyi is destroyed. Damara united under Gareth Dragonsbane (FRCS p271) (RtR p18) (GHotR p144)
1359-???? King Gareth Dragonsbane (Bloodfeathers line by marriage to Lady Christine)

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 18 Mar 2012 14:43:18
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  23:14:52  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

"I do find that I need a kickstart though, so if anyone wants to ask any questions here about ... well, just about anything Realmsian, I'd be more than happy to do some weaving."

Has anyone attempted a Damaran lineage of monarchs of the kind listed in the GHotR? 'Twouldn't be that long of a line methinks

The Northern Journey Project (in Part 7, Book 1 "The Bloodstone Story") lists thirteen kings, up and including Virdin Bloodfeathers. Not sure how official or near-official (it explicitly acknowledges several Realms Grandees, including severaal which are active here, in the Keep, but including the George Krashos). It's available from the Keep's main main (Campaign Journals -> Northern Journey).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2012 :  13:29:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have great respect for the Northern Journey project and consider it one of the greatest magnum opuses of the Realms. While their vision for Impiltur and the Demonlands differed greatly from mine, they nonetheless provided a fantastic campaign backdrop. I would say you are in safe hands adopting their Damaran monarchs.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  07:39:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello George,

I'm a big fan of Cormyr, but lately Impiltur keeps popping up in my head. So I have some questions about Impiltur that I'm hoping you can answer:

I see in the write-up for Impiltur on page 202 of the FRCS that Impiltur is the “Forgotten Kingdom” in the minds of Faerunians living elsewhere.

As a sort of far away place, this got me to wondering if things might also work in reverse.

So, regarding the Twelve Lords of Imphras II: have any of these lords have ever been exiled from Impiltur and made a new life for themselves somewhere else in the Realms?

Cormyr, perhaps?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  03:23:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Hello George,

I'm a big fan of Cormyr, but lately Impiltur keeps popping up in my head. So I have some questions about Impiltur that I'm hoping you can answer:

Well of course Impiltur keeps popping into your head. It's a WAY better place than Cormyr. @Garen Thal.

quote:

I see in the write-up for Impiltur on page 202 of the FRCS that Impiltur is the “Forgotten Kingdom” in the minds of Faerunians living elsewhere.

As a sort of far away place, this got me to wondering if things might also work in reverse.

So, regarding the Twelve Lords of Imphras II: have any of these lords have ever been exiled from Impiltur and made a new life for themselves somewhere else in the Realms?

Cormyr, perhaps?

Thank you in advance for your time.

The Twelve Lords of Imphras II have all stayed in the kingdom and been loyal servants of the regency. Some have died off and been replaced by other family members (I think I set out the roster in my Impiltur article in Dragon#346), but none have been exiled. Well, not as of 1372 DR ...

I had planned for more changes for Impiltur with the accession of the new young king, and my article (very) obliquely points to evidence that Soneillon had started to wrap her tendrils around some prominent members of the Impilturian rulership - including Queen-Regent Sambryl herself.

I also liked the idea of Imbrar II doing a "clean out" when he finally assumes the rulership on his 18th birthday, involving the demotion of many of the Lords of Imphras II to administrative, titular roles. The idea was that this would have put a few noses out of joint and, coupled with Soneillon's manipulations, caused considerable tumult in the kingdom, inlcuding possibly civil war. That would all be against a sub-text of "When paladins go bad, for all the best reasons".

So, after 1372 DR, there is the possibility of one or a few former Lords of Imphras II retiring or being retired and electing to travel to Cormyr, either in an official ambassadorial role, or as a trade envoy, or just for familial reasons (whilst space has never allowed it, a considerable amount of cross-pollination between the Heltharns and the Obarskyrs/Silvers has occurred over the years).

Hope this has been helpful. Keep the questions coming!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  03:41:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I had planned for more changes for Impiltur with the accession of the new young king, and my article (very) obliquely points to evidence that Soneillon had started to wrap her tendrils around some prominent members of the Impilturian rulership - including Queen-Regent Sambryl herself.
Could you possibly elaborate further on Soneillon's manipulations of Impiltur's ruling body in the late 1370's period, Krash?

I've lately been drafting a rough plot for my first Impiltur campaign [finally!], scheduled for early next year, and the reference to your article reminded me of something I'd been meaning to ask you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  02:34:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash, I found this scroll-query floating in the ethers, between shelves, courtesy of scribe Khondar:-
quote:
GK,

Found a topic on the old Realms-L list where you had put together a history for Tethyamar - and was wondering if you had anything else on the subject that you'd be willing to share.

Was working on a topo map for my use of Tethyamar some time ago - and a recent inquary about it has got me wondering again...

Did you ever do anything on the clans of Tethyamar - which clans or how many served the Iron House? Or anyting at all on the subject would be welcomed.

Be really nice to get some new (even if it's not official-new-car-smellin'-cannon) lore on Dwarves - Stout folk get little attention now-a-days.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  02:26:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We managed to shoe-horn my take on Tethyamar (suitably massaged and improved by Eric Boyd - he's good at that) in a sidebar in ... umm ... oh heck, can't recall if it was Champions of Ruin or Champions of Valor. I also added a bit more Tethyamar lore in GHotR in one of my lore pieces.

I'm firmly on the record as stating that dwarves need more love in the Realms. I hope that 5E sees some hugs head their way.

As for some clans of Tethyamar, I'd say that there weren't a whole heap as most of the "offshoots" from the big dwarven realms were one or two clan affairs (i.e. Mithral Hall). The Iron House was obviously the "royal family" of Tethyamar and seemingly didn't just adopt the clan name for the ruling family, or sought to differentiate itself from the clan or clans that spawned it. As to why, I lean towards an explanation that saw Tethyamar founded by two clans (I'd go with Quarrymaster and Stoneaxe) from Oghrann, with the realm initially electing its leader. That leader Thordbard, relinquished his clan name and proclaimed the founding of the Iron House, which is not a clan, but both the descriptor for the ruling family of Tethyamar and a collective alternative descriptor for the dwarves of the realm ("I am Dorn of the Iron House" is a dwarf of Tethyamar; "I am Dorn, servant of the Iron House" is a dwarf of the line of Thordbard and part of the royal household).

In dwarf lore provided to me many moons ago by Ed, he noted that such arrangements were not uncommon in dwarven history and society and noted that King Harbromm of Citadel Adbar was one such "elected" king (Harbromm being clanless due to some undetailed indiscretions in his youth, but "making good" in his later years).

Hope this has been useful.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Khondar
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  02:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Khondar's Homepage Send Khondar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

As for the Northern clans, listed in Dwarves Deep, that are not associated with a kingdom (i.e. FoeHammer, BlackHammer, StoneShoulder, ect.) - has there ever been anything put together on which clan formed witch kingdom?

Also - any dwarven info that you'd be willing to share would be greatly appreciated - and put to good use by this DM
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  03:45:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.

Foehammer, Blackhammer and Stoneshoulder haven't received any love that I'm aware of. Elaine Cunningham introduced us to some of the Stoneshafts in her novel "Thornhold", but they're not the same.

I did however provide some dwarf lore on p.9 of this thread that you might find useful. Recently I've been working on some stuff with Eric Boyd which has touched upon a bit of dwarf lore but that might not see the light of day for a while. I also had an unpublished Dragon article way back decades ago that was titled "Khanor's Prayer Stones" which dealt with new dwarven priest spells of the North, which I ended up putting on the Realms-L. I don't have a copy as it was written on a now dead MAC. I've tried to find it on the internet, but no luck so far. I've always wondered if some FR magpie had kept a copy somewhere ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  05:20:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also had an unpublished Dragon article way back decades ago that was titled "Khanor's Prayer Stones" which dealt with new dwarven priest spells of the North, which I ended up putting on the Realms-L. I don't have a copy as it was written on a now dead MAC. I've tried to find it on the internet, but no luck so far. I've always wondered if some FR magpie had kept a copy somewhere ...
Oooo! That might be stretching the limits of even my voluminous archives of online Realmslore, Krash.

I'll certainly look, but I think the only stuff I've saved from the REALMS-L regarding those spells, were the follow-up posts made by you and AJA. Not the actual article itself. But, as I said, I'll take a look.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  01:53:59  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr. Krashos,

I was curious if you could share any more information about Tethyamar that you mentioned in Grand History of the Realms. There was listed the sites of Blackrock Gate, the runegate at Dorn's Needle, and Helgrinn's Arch.

Are these all located above ground in the Desertmouth mountains? Are they separate entrances into the Mines of Tethyamar or each their own individual hold? I was never sure if Tethyamar spanned most the mountain range or only a few of them in its northern reaches.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  19:46:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi Mr. Krashos,

I was curious if you could share any more information about Tethyamar that you mentioned in Grand History of the Realms. There was listed the sites of Blackrock Gate, the runegate at Dorn's Needle, and Helgrinn's Arch.

Are these all located above ground in the Desertmouth mountains? Are they separate entrances into the Mines of Tethyamar or each their own individual hold? I was never sure if Tethyamar spanned most the mountain range or only a few of them in its northern reaches.

Thank you

As you may have noticed, THO has just provided some (welcome) Ed lore on Tethyamar.

In relation to your specific questions, Dorn's Needle is a spire of rock (about 30-feet high and 35 feet in diameter) that stands in the Tunlands, a short ride from the western fringes of the Marsh of Tun and overlooking same. In the time of Oghrann it had been capped by a small sentinel post (since shattered by a dragon attack centuries ago and now leaving few traces except some worked stone underfoot at the flattish top) and served as a rallying point for dwarven warriors of that ancient realm seeking to hurl back the many monsters and raiders that would sweep through the Helbryn (as the plains between the mountains were called) from time to time.

In the years that followed the founding of Tethyamar, the dwarves of that kingdom built a portal using rune magic to link the dwarven communities of the Far Hills and the Mines. The portal is keyed for dwarves only and the access point is on the south-western side of the Needle where a gorse bush covered smooth stone expanse (5-foot high by 4 feet wide) pushes inwards at a firm push leading to a short worked stone tunnel corridor that travels 10-feet into the Needle and leads to a hollowed out square chamber that is still only 5 feet high but can hold approximately 20 dwarves in full battle armour. The north-eastern face of the chamber has an "arch" of stone engraved with dwarven runes that recesses a total of a dwarven stride (about 3 feet) into the wall. Any dwarf that walks into the recess is whisked away by the portal to its other terminus. All other creatures simply face a blank stone wall. This runegate is known to the dwarves of the Far Hills but they do not guard it or seek to prevent any dwarf from using it. It is known that the Harpers know of its existence and it has been used as a temporary Harper cache and bolt hole from time to time.

The "other side" of this portal is located at Helgrinn's Arch. In the days of Tethyamar this was a trading post in the eastern foothills of the Desertsmouth Mtns on the banks of the Tesh, two days travel upriver from Dagger Falls. There is little left of Helgrinn's Arch but the portal access point can be found on a cliff-face along the river bank, now heavily overgrown and not readily discernible to anyone not specifically looking for it. As at Dorn's Needle the cliff face has an "arch" of stone engraved with dwarven runes that recesses three feet into the rock face.

Blackrock Gate was the southernmost 'entrance' to the Mines of Tethyamar (entrance as in guarded by the dwarves and large enough for 20 dwarves to march abreast into the mine complex proper). Located atop a switchback road (wide enough for two carts to travel abreast) down into a valley floor (portions of the road were trapped and constructed such that they contained deep, spike-lined pit sections which the orcs discovered to their dismay in the assault on the Mines), the Gate was exactly that - a large gate made of black stone that turned outward and fit seamlessly with the rockface it was located in. The turning mechanism relied on a clever (but complicated) stone counter-weight pulley system, which may or may not be operational to this day. The gate itself contains several hundred adamantine "pipes" through it on a horizontal access that the dwarves had inserted using stoneflow magic. The internal gate face had attached to it a battery of repeating light crossbows aligned with the adamantine "pipes" and coordinated to fire either in unison or in sections depending on what triggers were pulled. This effectively made the area on the outer face of the gate an enormous killing field. The orcs never prevailed against Blackrock Gate and it remains inviolate to this day. The tunnels leading to it from the "other side" were collapsed by the dwarves in the last desperate days of the kingdom, and it is thought that a sizable cluster of chambers and halls remain untouched behind it.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 14 Sep 2012 19:47:17
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2012 :  04:11:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi Mr. Krashos,

Thank you

As you may have noticed, THO has just provided some (welcome) Ed lore on Tethyamar.

In relation to your specific questions, Dorn's Needle is a spire of rock (about 30-feet high and 35 feet in diameter) that stands in the Tunlands, a short ride from the western fringes of the Marsh of Tun and overlooking same. In the time of Oghrann it had been capped by a small sentinel post (since shattered by a dragon attack centuries ago and now leaving few traces except some worked stone underfoot at the flattish top) and served as a rallying point for dwarven warriors of that ancient realm seeking to hurl back the many monsters and raiders that would sweep through the Helbryn (as the plains between the mountains were called) from time to time.

In the years that followed the founding of Tethyamar, the dwarves of that kingdom built a portal using rune magic to link the dwarven communities of the Far Hills and the Mines. The portal is keyed for dwarves only and the access point is on the south-western side of the Needle where a gorse bush covered smooth stone expanse (5-foot high by 4 feet wide) pushes inwards at a firm push leading to a short worked stone tunnel corridor that travels 10-feet into the Needle and leads to a hollowed out square chamber that is still only 5 feet high but can hold approximately 20 dwarves in full battle armour. The north-eastern face of the chamber has an "arch" of stone engraved with dwarven runes that recesses a total of a dwarven stride (about 3 feet) into the wall. Any dwarf that walks into the recess is whisked away by the portal to its other terminus. All other creatures simply face a blank stone wall. This runegate is known to the dwarves of the Far Hills but they do not guard it or seek to prevent any dwarf from using it. It is known that the Harpers know of its existence and it has been used as a temporary Harper cache and bolt hole from time to time.

The "other side" of this portal is located at Helgrinn's Arch. In the days of Tethyamar this was a trading post in the eastern foothills of the Desertsmouth Mtns on the banks of the Tesh, two days travel upriver from Dagger Falls. There is little left of Helgrinn's Arch but the portal access point can be found on a cliff-face along the river bank, now heavily overgrown and not readily discernible to anyone not specifically looking for it. As at Dorn's Needle the cliff face has an "arch" of stone engraved with dwarven runes that recesses three feet into the rock face.

Blackrock Gate was the southernmost 'entrance' to the Mines of Tethyamar (entrance as in guarded by the dwarves and large enough for 20 dwarves to march abreast into the mine complex proper). Located atop a switchback road (wide enough for two carts to travel abreast) down into a valley floor (portions of the road were trapped and constructed such that they contained deep, spike-lined pit sections which the orcs discovered to their dismay in the assault on the Mines), the Gate was exactly that - a large gate made of black stone that turned outward and fit seamlessly with the rockface it was located in. The turning mechanism relied on a clever (but complicated) stone counter-weight pulley system, which may or may not be operational to this day. The gate itself contains several hundred adamantine "pipes" through it on a horizontal access that the dwarves had inserted using stoneflow magic. The internal gate face had attached to it a battery of repeating light crossbows aligned with the adamantine "pipes" and coordinated to fire either in unison or in sections depending on what triggers were pulled. This effectively made the area on the outer face of the gate an enormous killing field. The orcs never prevailed against Blackrock Gate and it remains inviolate to this day. The tunnels leading to it from the "other side" were collapsed by the dwarves in the last desperate days of the kingdom, and it is thought that a sizable cluster of chambers and halls remain untouched behind it.

-- George Krashos

Awesome. Thank you very much. I hope in 5E we some work done with Tethyamar and some more with Daggerdale. Maybe it's the frontier feeling but it's always been my favorite part of the Dales.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  13:31:51  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, thanks for the help in Ed's post, I'm still trying to track down Grand History of the Realms, but once I do, I'll have that answer. And now here's another one. In your "The Magic of Mantles "

You mention that the Symbol greatly wants to retreave the work 'Mhaelosian Mantles' there, and I was curious exactly how far and to what extent might she go to, pre-spellplague, to get it?

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  18:31:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sightless. Are you asking whether she would kill for it? Yes, if it was in the hands of those who would do evil with it, or were linked to the classic bad guys (the Red Wizards, the Zhents, the Twisted Rune, etc), she wouldn't hesitate. It gets harder for her if it ends up in the hands of an entity like the Harpers or in Candlekeep. In such circumstances, she would likely seek to parley for it first, trading away items, spells or lore, in fair trade. If that didn't work, then it is likely that she would seek to seize it by force, but try and avoid as much collateral damage and death as possible.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  19:43:35  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good, then my character might still live then. thanks George.

If I ever play him again that is.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  10:57:38  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, since this is the first post I write on this scroll: Thank you so much for the sandcastles you make in our shared sandbox, George! It is always truly inspired and inspiring. Thank you.

I don't know if anybody else has asked about this... but could you shed a little more light on who... or just what the "dusky-skinned male elf with serpent-like eyes" in your Mhaelosian Mantles write-up is?

I know I end up saying thanks a lot, but.. thanks in advance ^_^

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  15:59:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

First of all, since this is the first post I write on this scroll: Thank you so much for the sandcastles you make in our shared sandbox, George! It is always truly inspired and inspiring. Thank you.

I don't know if anybody else has asked about this... but could you shed a little more light on who... or just what the "dusky-skinned male elf with serpent-like eyes" in your Mhaelosian Mantles write-up is?

I know I end up saying thanks a lot, but.. thanks in advance ^_^

Hi Duneth

It's my pleasure to come up with stuff that people find useful or inspiring.

The golden rule of writing in the Realms, acolyte as I am of Ed, Steven Schend and Eric Boyd, has always been to leave dangling realmslore hooks for DMs, fans and general observers to latch onto. The "dusky-skinned male elf with serpent-like eyes" is one such dangling hook - you can make of it what you will.

That said, I envisaged the notable in question to be one of two possible things: a sarrukh in spell disguise or a dark elf (not a drow, but a real dark elf, likely from Ilythiir). That doesn't mean that the individual in question can't be someone or something else, but that was the kind of individual I was aiming at.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  17:17:50  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm amazed at how fast you Loremasters answer. Eytan as well replied within hours of my post. It is such a great pleasure to have writers that are so devoted to the Realms and their fanbase.

Since my post, my thoughts had wandered in the direction of Isstosseffifil's legacy and Oreme for the serpent-eyed fellow, so I am psyched that you too had Sarrukh in mind... nevertheless I'm highly intrigued as to how in the Nine Hells of Baator a Dark Elf would have avoided Corellon's curse, an Ilythiiri at that, since even the Miyeritari were affected by the curse... Chronomancy? Planar Exile? .. makes you wonder. (Which reminds me of: what happened to the Green elves of Miyeritar when the curse and Descent occured?) ... so many wonderful questions and mysteries to explore. I guess that's why we love the Realms.

Of course I know that the lore is whatever I choose to make of it... but if I ask, it is because I'm unsatisfied with what I myself can come up with or because I just know that what Loremasters, such as yourself, have to offer is so magnificently inventive.

Furthermore, I like to stick to canon, as I find it allows for wonderful easter eggs and a feeling of coherence, when your players later play a FR-PC game, play in another FR-campaign or read a FR novel and recognize the world as the same as the one their characters explore on the tabletop (and in their imaginations!).

And as always: many many thanks!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  14:22:20  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just stumbled upon this in DDGttU:

A libram entitled Mhuelosiun [[I think the RCR maybe messed up "Mhaelosian"... can anyone with a hardcopy confirm this?]] Mantles has recently been
offered for sale in the markets of Ooltul. This legendary
spell tome was penned in the years leading up to the
Crown vs. Scepter Wars between Hlondath and Cormanthyr
by the Mage Royal of Mhaelos, and is said to set out
the process for creating one or more of the legendary spell
mantles for which the Netherese arcanists were so
famous. While this value of this tome is inestimable,
acquiring the asking price is nearly impossible. It is said
that the would-be buyer must exchange the true name of
at least one of the Chosen of Mystra for this compendium.

Just thought I'd share.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  08:21:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That tidbit and Ed's article on elven magic in one of the Dragon Annuals formed the foundation of my mantle write-up. Tough to weave together, but I thought the lore stood up quite well in the end - the epic spellcasting mechanics? ... Hmmm.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  05:11:53  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,
How did Kossuth feel about being summoned to Faerun by the Raumvari?

How long was he on Faerun during the Great Conflagration?

By what mechanism did he leave Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  11:25:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hidden Lord

George,
How did Kossuth feel about being summoned to Faerun by the Raumvari?

How long was he on Faerun during the Great Conflagration?

By what mechanism did he leave Faerun?

I have touched on this in a previous post on one of Ed's threads. At that time I said:

The events of the Great Conflagration are noted in some detail in my entry in GHotR (p.55). Space did not permit me to go into the minutiae of every clash and battle but it can be said that the decade-long war brought devastation to both sides and realms. At the end, it can be observed that Narfell was "winning" but the final summoning of an avatar of Kossuth brought incredible destruction to the region. The avatar started its journey of destruction in present-day Thay, skirted the woodlands of Lethyr and moved into Narfell proper, trailing devastation in its wake and seemingly immune to attempts to return it from whence it came. It then turned east, avoiding Rashemen, and plunged into the grasslands of Raumathar bringing with it a firestorm of death that was only quelled when the avatar disappeared suddenly on the outskirts of ruined Winterkeep. To this day sages do not understand the reasons why Kossuth's avatar journeyed as it did or what compulsion drove it onward but in the words of the loremaster Eirolon of Procampur, "Fire is always inscrutable and hungry. Do not seek to understand it, but give it the healthy respect you would a dragon or an archdevil. Things are usually safer that way."

In terms of the "hard details", in my view Kossuth doesn't feel anything. In my vision of the elemental powers, they simply ... exist and are absolutely inscrutable and impenetrable. So how did he feel? Pretty much normal, I reckon.

Kossuth's trail of destruction took place over the course of about twenty or so days.

As to the mechanism of his unsummoning ... gee, that Winterkeep is a mysterious place, isn't it?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  17:00:46  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was Kossuth unsummoned, or did he leave by his own power/volition?
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  04:08:40  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, what was one, or were some, of the arcane breakthroughs or milestones that lead to the Raumvari cultural revolution that lead them from nomadic, hunter gatherers to reknowned battle-mages?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  05:45:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey George, have you considered a compiled write-up of Tethyamar?

I would be really interested to see how you wove that together!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000