Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  06:02:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prince Laric of Telflamm was the short-lived de-facto ruler of Telflamm from 1364 DR to 1366 DR during the "Time of the Sharkjaws".

When the pirate flotilla, known to historians as "The Sharkjaws", took control of the city in the Year of the Wave, Grand Prince Wendren was absent from the city having taken ship to Cormyr and the Dales to attempt to boost Telflamm's flagging trade situation following the devastation of the Tuigan invasion.

The pirates put into office a figurehead, Laric Thalavor, a member of the Royal Household and distantly related to the Balindres. They declared Wendren's rule over, starting a rumour that he was dead and 'lost at sea'. Laric's father Naric Thalavor had been a stalwart supporter of the former Grand Prince Heldrin, but his son was cut of a different style of cloth. Ambitious and arrogant, Laric took up the role with enthusiasm and sought to legitimise the pirate presence in Telflamm by appointing their leader Evgruth to the post of 'Royal Councillor' (a new and ill-defined position of authority which allowed Evgruth to retain true power in the city but not alienate the existing population or external powers which had reacted to the events of the Year of the Wave with more than a little concern and consternation).

Laric eagerly travelled to Rashemen in the Year of the Sword (1365 DR) at the behest of Iron Lord Thydrimm Yvarrg, considering the request to be the first in a series of diplomatic missions which would recognise his titular rule and the pirate presence in Telflamm and lead in time to the whole region coming to terms with the city's changed power structure. Prince Laric was slain in Rashemen at the instigation of the ruling Witches who considered the pirate presence in the city to be an opportunity to expand and exert their own influence into Telflamm and effectively giving them de-facto port access to the Inner Sea. Laric was replaced by a charmed servant, a shapeshifting creature known as a boggan, which returned to Telflamm as if nothing untoward had occurred, bringing along his new 'consort', the witch Halaertha.

Within a year, the false Laric was slain, the pirates expelled from the city and Halaertha returned by shadow magic to Immilmar as the Shadowmasters asserted their age-old control over Telflamm. Wendren was returned to the throne by the Shadowmasters (he had been prevented by the pirates from returning to Telflamm by sea and had vacillated for some time as to his future prospects before commencing a long, overland journey which saw him located in Tsurlagol when the Shadowmasters struck. They saw to it that his return to the city was expedited and that he was beholden to them for the return of the "rulership" of the city) and matters set aright.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  02:34:36  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday, George! I tried to get this up yesterday, but my connection was being tetchy.
BTW, the above lore is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  14:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,

I'm now caught up with your scroll and have a last few 'Realmspeak' definitions I need clarification on before I can add a whole slew to the 'Glossary'. The slew is dependent on some of these though, so therefore my asking. My question or required clarification is in square braces (and underlined) for ease of reading:
  • “tuskers” – Common:- [is this some term for orcs?] (So saith George Krashos - November 14, 2008)

• “warblade” – Common:- [where can I read more about this military rank?]

• “warsword” – Common:- [where can I read more about this military rank?]

• “alorn” – Common:- [where can I read more about this military rank?]

• “heartburst” – Common:- [is this the same as "heartstop"?] (So saith George Krashos - March 8, 2009)

• “blacktongue fever” – Common:- [what kind of ailment is this?] (So saith George Krashos - May 9, 2009)

• “oldbeard” – Common:- a dwarven word for an elderly dwarf [did I infer this correctly?] (So saith George Krashos - May 9, 2009)

• “longbeard” – Common:- a dwarven word for an elderly dwarf [did I infer this correctly?] (So saith George Krashos - June 13, 2009)

• “laern” – [Common or some other language?]:- the term for a guild (singular and plural) in Impiltur (So saith George Krashos - September 11, 2010)

• “narnoth” – [Common or some other language?]:- a trade (or grouping of various trades) which has voting status within a “laern” (So saith George Krashos - September 11, 2010)

• “narnath” – [Common or some other language?]:- plural of “narnoth” (So saith George Krashos - September 11, 2010)

• Also a reminder of the ones I asked about a couple of months ago (August 3, 2010).

Like others, having now read through all the lore created in this scroll I can just also say "Wow!" with the rest of the scribes.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 08 Oct 2010 08:23:00
    Go to Top of Page

Baragon Geddarm
    Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  22:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Baragon Geddarm's Homepage Send Baragon Geddarm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Hail!

Just here to drop off a 'Thank you George'.

I snagged the dwarven clan name Ironshield out of a Realms book (GHotR I think) to use in my current campaign and was delighted to find your post on page 9 of this thread giving us such wonderful lore on them. It'll greatly help to flesh out the history of a small tomb I'm creating.

So again, Thank you George. I can't wait to dig through here for more fun historical Realmslore.
    Go to Top of Page

Ptomahawk
    Acolyte

Greece
    1 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  00:02:57  Show Profile  Visit Ptomahawk's Homepage Send Ptomahawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Well the time has come for my first post following a long time of lurking the halls.

@Kyrene

as far warblade, warsword and alorn are concerned, Power of Faerun p.29 is the answer. There is a table with sample military ranks of Faerun.

according to this table

warblade is the equal of a private
    warsword is the equal of a sergeant
    alorn is the equal of a lieutenant

well, now is the time to find a way to demote the alorn pc in my campaign :P

It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.-Niccolo Machiavelli
    "Kill a man and you're a murderer, kill many and you're a conqueror, kill them all, you 're a god." Jean Rostand
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  08:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ptomahawk

Well the time has come for my first post following a long time of lurking the halls.
    Glad you did then!
    quote:
    as far warblade, warsword and alorn are concerned, Power of Faerun p.29 is the answer. There is a table with sample military ranks of Faerun.
    Thanks. I had a sneaky suspicion it had been mentioned in previous 'official' sources, just didn't know where to start digging. I'm sure I'll get more (AFB at this writing), than just those ranks from that page.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
    Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
    Master of Realmslore

Australia
    6635 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  04:20:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kyrene

George,

What is the difference between "Impilturian" and "Impilturan"? I currently have is defined as:
  • “Impilturian” – Common:- a term applied to Impilturan work, study, beliefs, and customs, and to items of their making (So saith George Krashos - November 14, 2008)

• “Impilturan” – Common:- a term applied to the collective folk of Impiltur (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting by Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo)

• but may be wrong in that "Impilturan" also refers to the culture, and "Impilturian" only to items made in Impiltur.

I take Impilturan to refer to exactly what the FRCS 3E says it does -references to the collective folk of Impiltur. Hence a group of Impilturan warriors could invade Thesk, but they'd be wielding Impilturian weapons and exhibiting strange, Impilturian customs and beliefs. I wouldn't attach the term "Impilturan" to culture.

quote:

Then, what are the following:
  • “bluntquills” – Common:- something like a gossip writer? (So saith George Krashos - November 14, 2008)

• “spellslay” – Common:- slay with spells (from ambush)? (So saith George Krashos - August 2, 2010)

• I used the term "bluntquills" to mean what we call "hack writers" - in its simplest definition, it would mean a writers whose work indicates that quantity takes precedence over quality.

I'm pretty sure that Ed has used the term "spellslay" and again I would attribute to it its simplest meaning as you have - to kill with spells. I do not think the term requires the "ambush" qualifier.

As for your other queries, "heartburst" is indeed just like "heartstop" although in the interests of adding variety to your Realms I'd say that the latter term has more application in the Sword Coast, Heartlands and North, while the latter has more use in the Dales, Moonsea and Easting Reach.

"Blacktongue fever" is not my invention - it features in 'Power of Faerϋn' (p.94) and is simply that - a fever-oriented illness.

As for the terms "oldbeard" and "longbeard" they indeed both mean a reference to an elderly dwarf but they have subtle nuances. "Oldbeard" is also used in the context of youg dwarves who appear mature beyond their years ("Dorn was always the oldbeard of the Company of the Brandished Axe") while "longbeard" can and is used in the context of a "wise elder, older person with standing or who commands respect in a dwarven clan or community".

The terms "laern" and "narnoth/ath" are words of the Damaran language but have equal utility in the Easting Reach region with common tongue terms "guild", "trade(s)" etc.

Hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 10 Oct 2010 04:22:18
    Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
    Master of Realmslore

Australia
    6635 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  04:23:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baragon Geddarm

Hail!

Just here to drop off a 'Thank you George'.

I snagged the dwarven clan name Ironshield out of a Realms book (GHotR I think) to use in my current campaign and was delighted to find your post on page 9 of this thread giving us such wonderful lore on them. It'll greatly help to flesh out the history of a small tomb I'm creating.

So again, Thank you George. I can't wait to dig through here for more fun historical Realmslore.

My pleasure. Great to see it helping out a poor, harried DM!

Enjoy.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  12:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Above and beyond again as usual, GK. My thanks!

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
    Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  23:33:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    what day was the tree tied to Bahamut planted and what day did Gareth destroy the rod of orcus??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
    Magister's GAmbit
    http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
    Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
    Learned Scribe

USA
    222 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  13:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by sfdragon

what day was the tree tied to Bahamut planted and what day did Gareth destroy the rod of orcus??

Arbor day and V-Day.

Fools to right of them,
    Jesters to left of them,
    Clowns in front of them
    Pun'd and parody'd.
    Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
    Master of Realmslore

Australia
    6635 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  17:04:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

That event occurred in 1359 DR. No actual day was ever set as the event arose out of the H4 Throne of Bloddstone module which meant that every DM would have their own individual timing for it and it would vary from campaign to campaign.

Go out on a limb - choose dates that you like. You've got a whole year to choose from.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36775 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  02:26:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ionik Knight

quote:

Arbor day and V-Day.

Excellent response! I wish I'd thought of it!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
    Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  04:35:26  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Arbor day and V-Day.

but then we'd need the realmsian month and day equivalent.

and were you two trying to be smart guys???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
    Magister's GAmbit
    Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
    Learned Scribe

USA
    222 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  17:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Arbor day and V-Day.

but then we'd need the realmsian month and day equivalent.

and were you two trying to be smart guys???

I can't speak for the Hamster, but I never try to be smart...too much work. Besides being funny is lots more....wait for it....FUN!

Fools to right of them,
    Jesters to left of them,
    Clowns in front of them
    Pun'd and parody'd.
    Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
    Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  00:12:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    a person I once worked with, always asked me that when I was being an arse... so smart guy actually meant smart Arse

My FR fan fiction
    Magister's GAmbit
    Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
    Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  06:46:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Mod Edit: You've apparently posted this query in the wrong scroll, sf. I'm shifting it over to Erik's instead.

My FR fan fiction
    Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Nov 2010 07:11:16
    Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
    Master of Realmslore

Australia
    6635 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  00:23:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Dang! And I was hoping I'd get to craft some more realmslore ...

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 25 Nov 2010 00:24:19
    Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
    Great Reader

USA
    3281 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  02:38:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Dang! And I was hoping I'd get to craft some more realmslore ...

-- George Krashos

You still can!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
    to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
    thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
    words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
    then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
    will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
    Alaundo of Candlekeep
    Go to Top of Page

coach
    Senior Scribe

USA
    479 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  20:29:12  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    """As for the "end" of Vedrymmell as an elven realm, I haven't quite worked that out. That end has something to do with a lack of High Magic (see the High Magic chapter in the "Cormanthyr" accessory for an undetailed lore hook) and my feeling is that by 350 DR or so whatever disaster it is that brings this realm down, has occurred leaving a few small clans still resident there but no coherent elven realm."""

George, have you any more thoughts or ideas on the fall of Vedrymmell since this post by you awhile (lol 6 months) ago?

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 27 Nov 2010 20:29:41
    Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
    Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
    1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  14:10:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Hello George

Am trying to tie up the Immerdusk line.

In your sleeping sword piece you mention two twins that become part of the sword circa 291DR or so, (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14789)

We know that Storm becomes Marchioness Immerdusk several centuries later.

So did the Immerdusk line die out and was reinstated to Storm or did she just take over as head of the family when she was enobled?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
    Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
    shudder,
    love to all,
    THO
    Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Feb 2011 14:11:40
    Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
    Master of Realmslore

Australia
    6635 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  15:46:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by crazedventurers

Hello George

Am trying to tie up the Immerdusk line.

In your sleeping sword piece you mention two twins that become part of the sword circa 291DR or so, (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14789)

We know that Storm becomes Marchioness Immerdusk several centuries later.

So did the Immerdusk line die out and was reinstated to Storm or did she just take over as head of the family when she was enobled?

Thanks

Damian

Hi Damian

The Immerdusks weren't ennobled until Storm Silverhand was made marchioness by King Baerovus (as detailed in the novel "Stormlight", pgs.115-116). Before then they were a well-to-do family, known for their ability to produce astounding numbers of smart, tough and big fighting men who almost always took service with the Purple Dragons (and before there were Purple Dragons - created in the time of Duar as I recall - service with the king's host or serving as bodyguards for the Silver familes and a few individual Obarskyrs) and fought (and died) for the realm in significant numbers over many centuries.

A few of them rose to high station with the Purple Dragons, the most famous of whom were Norlar Immerdusk who was Battlemaster in the time of Azoun II and the first to scale the walls of rebel Arabel in the final assault on that city when it was brought to heel (again) in 1050 DR; Daraghard Immerdusk who achieved the station of Lord High Marshal despite his commoner ancestry in the reign of Bryntarth II (and was ennobled in doing so although the title was his alone and died with him - the Immerdusks as a family were not ennobled at the time); and Jarth Immerdusk who was given the unique (and never used since) Purple Dragon rank of Kingsblade (higher than Oversword but lower than Battlemaster) by Galaghard III for his bravery in the battles with the Witchlords.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 17 Feb 2011 15:46:46
    Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
    Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
    1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  18:34:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    -- George Krashos

Very helpful, thanks George for the lore

One more Realms quandry resolved

Cheers

Damian

EDIT: do we have a (approximate) date for Storm's enoblement?

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
    Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
    shudder,
    love to all,
    THO
    Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Feb 2011 18:36:52
    Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
    Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  22:04:38  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Jarth Immerdusk who was given the unique (and never used since) Purple Dragon rank of Kingsblade (higher than Oversword but lower than Battlemaster)...
    OK that's pretty cool! I'm gobbling up this lore by the way. It's very useful and fun to read about.

I’d not considered the concept of the Purple Dragons not being around, either. Obviously they had to have been founded at some point, but the idea that they weren’t always there is pretty cool.

A question, if I may: With regard to the history of the Purple Dragons, were there other unique ranks handed out to individual Cormyreans?
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7963 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  03:47:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I am very much reminded of the elixirs in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical ... and of the legendary grey box.

Thanx, GK

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
    Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  03:53:55  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Brilliant work, Mr. Krashos. I love all the lore you have managed to cram in there. That is how it should be done. I always liked the "Elixir lore" from Volo's Guide and wondered if there were more.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 20 Mar 2011 03:55:21
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36775 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  04:20:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    The lore is very good, friend Krash. I gotta say, though, that the permanent effects of the Storm Quaff seem a bit limited, especially compared to the other two.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  04:30:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Nicely done, Krash. I particularly like the "Elixir Arcane." I can definitely see some use for that material.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
    Master of Realmslore

Australia
    6635 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  04:52:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

The lore is very good, friend Krash. I gotta say, though, that the permanent effects of the Storm Quaff seem a bit limited, especially compared to the other two.

Agreed. But it doesn't have much of a downside either. It follows the other "elemental resistance" elixirs in power.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36775 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  05:04:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Good enough, then.

Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000