Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Nation of Ixinos
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  16:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Which brings me to an intersting point - are Ixinosan women of mixed race? I'm not talking about Elves or Dwarves here (although that WOULD be rather interesting), but with Turmish so damn close it makes sense if there are 'women of color' upon Ixinos.

In fact, with the Kara-Turan immigrants in the Unapproachable East and Shou ties to Elversult nearby , I would expect to find a least a couple of Oriental women among the population as well. Every culture has it's share of disaffected women, so there's no reason why we wouldn't find a few of each here.

I don't see why you wouldn't find women of all (Realmsian) races upon Ixinos. It makes sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  20:33:35  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is really good stuff. I have VERY much enjoyed reading it and hope to be able to use it in play sometime soon.

The only hole I can see has already been pointed out in the fact all these "super soldiers" are so well trained because they are always fighting who? They need a more constant threat or enemy who engages them on a more regular basis and keeps their edges so keen. Since they are so insular perhaps a extra-planar enemy who raids them for slaves through gate that is always guarded and has not been able to be destroyed? Could be the reason the dragon was here all along.... Perhaps she was not bent to the will of the queen, but played along to train a new guardian force to keep these extra-planar foes at bay?

In addition if you like this tangent, the foes might only come every X number of years or decades and is one of the its of information passed down from queen to queen as to who and what these foes really are as well as counsel from the dragon. It could also explain some of the old ruins on the island.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 10 Feb 2009 20:46:37
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  18:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

This is really good stuff. I have VERY much enjoyed reading it and hope to be able to use it in play sometime soon.

The only hole I can see has already been pointed out in the fact all these "super soldiers" are so well trained because they are always fighting who? They need a more constant threat or enemy who engages them on a more regular basis and keeps their edges so keen.

In addition if you like this tangent, the foes might only come every X number of years or decades and is one of the its of information passed down from queen to queen as to who and what these foes really are as well as counsel from the dragon. It could also explain some of the old ruins on the island.

I figured that the Ixinos Amazons usually fought the Fallen Stars pirates and various expeditions from the Chessentan city-states.

Hmm, now for some reason I'm wondering, if the Thayans used all female wizards in positions of authority, might they have a trade enclave on Ixinos?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  01:06:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So long as the enclave was female-only, I don't personally see why it wouldn't be possible.

Considering their limited involvement with other Realmish powers, they wouldn't automatically be predjudiced against the Thayans, as most others would.

Of course, in Testosterone-centric 4eFR, Ixinos probably no longer exists...

My guess is that Kewl Spartans took the place over, after they finished with Xerxes.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Feb 2009 01:08:43
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  05:00:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've obviously been away for a while.

I fell pretty ill a few months back; and well, Ixinos fell by the wayside.

Things are going more smoothly for me now...so I will be finishing things up for Ixinos now.

My apologies to Markustay for dropping off the face of the earth; but fantasy worlds and internet connections just fell to the wayside for a while.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  05:03:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're glad to hear all is well again, Dalor, and look forward to your renewed efforts with regard to Ixinos.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  02:56:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it is done.

Final Draft will be going over to Markustay this weekend for review after I convert the document to a PDF.

All told it is roughly 48 pages from cover to end...with two large pics taking up a page each and a table of contents...the book has actually 45 pages of gaming material...including Markustay's AMAZING map.

I had a great deal more to include in the work, like magic items, NPCs galore, and etc; but I thought it would be better to lay out the basics (which are still very detailed at 45 pages!) and let each Dungeon Master tailor the setting to his own needs.

Instead of players saying: "What?! My 19th level wizard should have been able to SMOKE the Queen of Ixinos in spell battle! Where the heck did she get the spells to do what she just did to me?!"

Instead each DM can make the island how he wants it to fit in with whatever level of play he wants.

A couple of hints:

I liked the idea of planar invaders, but thought that actual invasions would be too much to counter and still maintain strength against other external attacks like the Pirates and such. Instead I put something in the mix that gives the Ixinosan women a few things to bother them.

I also knew they needed constant fighting, so there is plenty of that. Lots and lots of it actually.

However, despite these two things, the Ixinosans would be nasty to fight even if all they ever did was train. Their training is probably more harsh than anything I've read in the Forgotten Realms so far...and far more extensive too. To the Ixinosans being a warrior is actually a strong part of their religion and is "natural" to them like farming is to the Dales.

The Red Wizard issue intrigued me, so it is there too...after a fashion. The Ixinosans benefit from trade with the Red Wizards; but not exactly the way that the Red Wizards might want.

I really liked the linking of female ship captains to the Ixinosans; but the more I looked the less I found to connect them in Canon material. I did include a vague reference to many female sailors being descended from Ixinos though...so feel free to have any captain you want being from Ixinos or their mother or what have you.

Other highlights include a Myrmidon Prestige Class, a Timeline, a detailed outline of the way the Ixinosan women are trained for the military, detailed descriptions of every single name you find on Markustay's map, and much more.

I hope you all like it.

Talk to you soon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  04:59:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat.
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The Red Wizard issue intrigued me, so it is there too...after a fashion. The Ixinosans benefit from trade with the Red Wizards; but not exactly the way that the Red Wizards might want.
I'm looking forward to this part in particular. I've had my own ideas on trade and economic relations between Ixinos and the Red Wizards since you first brought this up. So I'd like to see what you've come up with for it.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  18:37:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just waiting to hear from some folks on this...it IS done.

Actually been done for a while...but life happens.

It is about 45 pages total (counting cover, map and a pic).

I forgot to mention that Markustay also did the cover in the credits...for that I apologize.

If it wasn't for him, this project would have been far more mediocre; so many thanks and congratulations to Mark!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  01:03:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent. Expect my PM shortly, Dalor.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2009 :  19:48:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a small request to the Powers That Be:

could you post something on here with the link when you decide to put out the write-up for Ixinos?

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2009 :  01:10:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I can do that.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  19:26:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about your health problems, Dalor; hope all is well now. I've had my share of those in the past.

If I haven't said so before, this is awesome stuff... first-rate.

So... where's this complete PDF? Not to sound impatient or anything like a certain former halfling, but "I wantss it!"

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 08 Nov 2009 19:28:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  00:54:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

So... where's this complete PDF? Not to sound impatient or anything like a certain former halfling, but "I wantss it!"
Just waiting on Alaundo, actually, to reply back to my requests. But he's kinda busy with non-Candlekeep stuff at the moment.

Once that's done, Dalor's PDF will be uploaded to Alaundo's Library here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  04:08:36  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good... I hope Alaundo's non-CK stuff isn't too serious.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  05:03:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If my PDF is too junky, I can make the effort to make it prettier...I promise.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  05:11:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

If my PDF is too junky, I can make the effort to make it prettier...I promise.

I'll contact Alaundo again about this. It's likely that he's just forgotten or simply hasn't had time to upload the material.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  05:51:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone waiting for a look at the Final Draft copy of this material can find it here:

http://www.loremaster.org/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3
EDIT: That link is no longer viable...Loremaster is down.

It is just the Final Draft mind you...I've decided to make it prettier as soon as this semester is over.

A huge thanks again to Mark Taylor and all the ideas from you folks...I hope you enjoy!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 25 Jul 2010 17:20:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  07:10:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Dalor. I've contacted Alaundo again about this, but I've yet to hear back from him. My guess is he's just too swamped at the moment with non Candlekeep-related stuff to respond.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  08:22:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a big deal at all Sage...seriously. I was just happy to even learn about Matt's website...nice bunch of folks over there.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  04:59:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Loremaster is currently down...soooo

If anyone ever wants a copy of this; just email me and I'll get it to ya.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  05:21:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay@optonline.net

Can't wait to read it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  01:57:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Bump* - can you E-mail me a copy, Dalor?

Can't wait to see it.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  03:23:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did. LOL

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  05:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like a copy as well, please. My email is hawkinsthedm[at]yahoo[dot]com

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  22:13:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done! I hope Markustay got his second email...do you have me on ignore or something maybe? LOL

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  11:54:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got both, actually (I don't check it that often).

Thanks - I'm going away, and now I have something to tread on the plane.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  16:05:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Got both, actually (I don't check it that often).

Thanks - I'm going away, and now I have something to tread on the plane.

Yes, but reading the same book twice might be terribly boring the second time around...

Go to Top of Page

mildwind
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  01:36:19  Show Profile  Visit mildwind's Homepage Send mildwind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like a copy. email to garylubben[at]mac.com
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  08:07:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done Mildwind!

Welcome to Candlekeep!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000