Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Nation of Ixinos
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  04:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I appreciate Dalor's work too. Just wanted to say that the maps Markus does really look great. And I really love maps!!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  16:12:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Quick qusetion. Do these Warrior Women remove their left breast to be better archer's?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  20:14:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Quick qusetion. Do these Warrior Women remove their left breast to be better archer's?

BRIMSTONE

LOL...nope

But they are very fit and more like an Olympic Athlete than a buxom barmaid.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  20:17:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-OK. I was wondering. I kinda like the Buxom Barmaid my self...

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  20:36:20  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-OK. I was wondering. I kinda like the Buxom Barmaid my self...

BRIMSTONE

I hear the Dales are full of them...you might want to find one of those Yeowomen.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  21:10:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picture an entire race built like professional wrestling's Chyna (Joanie Laurer).

The kind of women that make the average man go Eep!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  21:42:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Picture an entire race built like professional wrestling's Chyna (Joanie Laurer).

Aye...but with a face that won't scare you to death!

Now...they may BEAT you to death...

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  17:40:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Maybe Lita, but no dice on Chyna.

-Back on topic. So this Island is in the Vilhon Reach? I had never heard about it before.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  18:32:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't talking about physical attractiveness (I'm sure Ixinos has it's share of 'plain' women), I was talking about shear size and muscle mass.

"Little man do Snoo-snoo!"

And despite Lucy Lawless's theatric performance, Chyna is more what I picture in my head when I think of 'Amazons'. It has more to do with the physique, I think, then any cosmetic differences.

Which brings me to an intersting point - are Ixinosan women of mixed race? I'm not talking about Elves or Dwarves here (although that WOULD be rather interesting), but with Turmish so damn close it makes sense if there are 'women of color' upon Ixinos.

In fact, with the Kara-Turan immigrants in the Unapproachable East and Shou ties to Elversult nearby , I would expect to find a least a couple of Oriental women among the population as well. Every culture has it's share of disaffected women, so there's no reason why we wouldn't find a few of each here (and I really can't see why Eilistraee worshippers wouldn't be represented in this group as well - she's actually the perfect goddess for women trying to break free of their cultural stigma).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  18:45:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye...an Ixinosan Woman is probably stronger than the common soldier of any surrounding land...simply as a result of their upbringing.

Also, because the men they keep upon their island can come from anywhere, they indeed do have just about every racial stock known upon the Inner Sea within their ranks...though, non-humans are a VERY rare choice as breeding stock: orcs are simply beasts, elves would be deemed too physically weak and other races would be scorned for various reasons...like dwarves being too short or what have you. It doesn't mean these couldn't happen...just that it would be most unlikely.

Eilistraee would be a decent goddess for the Ixinosans...but I thought it would be better for them to maintain a strictly "human" based pantheon. After all, they actually are somewhat xenophobic and even racist. Her worship wouldn't be scorned on the island though...probably just not a major influence. They do accept other female goddesses; but those goddesses currently in power aren't likely to want to share worshipers on the tiny island...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  19:06:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of more of a 'Drow contingent' on the island - something very small, almost like an Enclave, that keeps amicable relations open between her followers and the women of Ixinos.

Also, I wasn't thinking so much in terms of 'mixed heritage', but rather that women from all over would gravitate to the place. Although they would definately have a large percentage of the original Dathite (Chondathan/Jaamdathan) people, I think they would also have a constant influx of 'new blood' from everywhere women feel like 'second-class citizens' - including Tuigan women! (Wasn't their a FR comic-book character of one of those, who left her homeland because men didn't respect her there?)

Whats really intersting about that is that not only would the Ixinosan women eventually have their own 'look', but they would gain parts of other cultures as well (I think they would take VERY well to some of the martial diciplines of the east). Because their entire culture is based on acceptance (amongst women), they would be one of the few Faerūnian groups to experiment with new ideas whenever they presented themselves.

Now we get into politics...

Suppose there are two factions amongst the Women (much like Athens and Sparta)? Whereas one believes in rigid dicipline and "adhering to the old ways", the other is forward-thinking and would like Ixinos to finally come into it's own and start dealing with other nations as equals - perhaps even send out ambassadors to other lands?

Real-world issues
BTW, I couldn't read your last draft either (that was the same file-type as Allisa). I had this problem once before when my niece's printer was down and she asked me to print out her college paper - she put it on a USB drive, but my comp. wouldn't print it because it didn't recognize the new Word file. She was able to use word to convert the file to the older format, so I know the program has that built-in, so see if you can do that for me.

Thanks - Mark

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2008 19:09:47
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  21:36:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Real-world issues
BTW, I couldn't read your last draft either (that was the same file-type as Allisa). I had this problem once before when my niece's printer was down and she asked me to print out her college paper - she put it on a USB drive, but my comp. wouldn't print it because it didn't recognize the new Word file. She was able to use word to convert the file to the older format, so I know the program has that built-in, so see if you can do that for me.

Thanks - Mark

Well...first snag of internet joint venture...

Looking into it.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  22:09:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its easier for me to reply here (My mailbox is stuffed again) -

A LOT of Vista isn't compatible with earlier editions, hence all those wonderful commercials by Apple knocking Vista.

Try using Vista's Word to convert the files backwards (it should be as easy as "Save As" in the menu). If my 19-year-old neice could figure it out, I'm sure you can.

I think it is the '.mwd' extension you're looking for there. I even tried to simply open it with my version of Word, but it came out looking like a long series of 'Y's. LOL

Or you could just convert it to a .pdf.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2008 22:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  22:40:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its easier for me to reply here (My mailbox is stuffed again) -

A LOT of Vista isn't compatible with earlier additions, hence all those wonderful commercials by Apple knocking Vista.

Try using Vista's Word to convert the files backwards (it should be as easy as "Save As" in the menu). If my 19-year-old neice could figure it out, I'm sure you can.

I think it is the '.mwd' extension you're looking for there. I even tried to simply open it with my version of Word, but it came out looking like a long series of 'Y's. LOL

Or you could just convert it to a .pdf.

The issue isn't Vista, it's what version of Word you have. And there is a free plugin for Office 2003 on the Microsoft website that allows you to open Office 2007 files.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  22:48:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EDIT: Just to let everyone know, even though we have gone off on a tangent, this particular line of discussion IS pertinent to this project.

For some reason I can't download anything from the Microsoft site anymore.

I have a full, legal copy of XP (four, in fact), but I got tired of automatic updates constantly giving me an error message when it confused my copy of Publisher with Office (they share some features), so I turned it off.

After a year or so I tried getting updates, and when I went to get my updates manually, it tells me there's a problem (it isn't able to do the 'Verify' thing anymore, for whatever bizarre reason). I guess I fell so far behind with the Service Packs or whatever that I can't update anymore.

Anyhow, I know my niece was able to convert the files, and she's no brain surgeon, so I know it can be done.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2008 22:51:38
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  23:59:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

EDIT: Just to let everyone know, even though we have gone off on a tangent, this particular line of discussion IS pertinent to this project.

For some reason I can't download anything from the Microsoft site anymore.

I have a full, legal copy of XP (four, in fact), but I got tired of automatic updates constantly giving me an error message when it confused my copy of Publisher with Office (they share some features), so I turned it off.

After a year or so I tried getting updates, and when I went to get my updates manually, it tells me there's a problem (it isn't able to do the 'Verify' thing anymore, for whatever bizarre reason). I guess I fell so far behind with the Service Packs or whatever that I can't update anymore.

Anyhow, I know my niece was able to convert the files, and she's no brain surgeon, so I know it can be done.

I simply converted them to HTML so when you open them it will open in a browser...let me know if that works for you.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  02:26:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent solution.

I can see them now, and I'll look them over and get back to you.

Edit:
Hows this for a cover?

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Nov 2008 03:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  07:45:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Excellent solution.

Edit:
Hows this for a cover?

Sweet!

But you need to put your name on there too man...several of the ideas in this book are from you!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  15:57:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-At least Markus didnt put by a "Bunch of Hack's" or FAIL in big bold letters on it. Markus will know what I mean. rofl!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  22:47:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

Excellent solution.

Edit:
Hows this for a cover?

Sweet!

But you need to put your name on there too man...several of the ideas in this book are from you!

My name should be on there, too. Just because.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  01:24:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Excellent solution.

Edit:
Hows this for a cover?

Sweet!

My name should be on there, too. Just because.

Wanna help with my next project:

The Barbarians of the Ride

I'm going to take more time with this one...won't be starting it until after Christmas...I have a long break from school.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  01:36:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always had a slight fascination with the Barbarians of the Ride. If you're looking for a little extra assistance at some point Dalor, I wouldn't mind helping out.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  02:15:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've always had a slight fascination with the Barbarians of the Ride. If you're looking for a little extra assistance at some point Dalor, I wouldn't mind helping out.

Excellent!

I really feel that this is the route to future "products" for the FR campaign world. You guys have the awesome Candlekeep Compendium and then just folks like me with some time on their hands can also contribute to fleshing out Faerun.

Ixinos was going to be finished this week; but we ran into a little bit of a snag...should be out next week.

Markustay gave me some really good ideas just by dropping names on me and some good backstory to "chunk" it up a bit. Not even to mention his map off of my pitiful little scribble of a map! Then the cover looks awesome too!

I've finished the materials to be included...he has the first part now that he is going over just to make sure we are not contradicting ourselves at any point...then I'll send him the last half of the material. THEN we put it together in PDF and I'll be making it available.

Would it be possible to place it here?

The only thing I'm working on right now is proper legal wording to ensure usage of various things doesn't step on any toes and I don't get kicked in the nethers for just trying to put out something free!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  03:02:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would it be possible to place it here?
When it's done, it'll probably be best for you to send it directly to Alaundo. That way, he can include it in the next site update.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  03:23:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As part of your 'Ride' project, I can offer you some geneology stuff - they are related to the Netherease and the Tunlanders, and all three groups were part of the earlier Gur migrations from the East.

Since none of them look like Tuigan, its pretty obvious to me that the remaining tribe of Gur in the Hordelands are in fact a Raumathari derivation, rather then a Lung one, which makes all of those groups also related to the Nar, Rashemi, & Sossrim.

But that break-down took somewhere around 10,000 years to happen, so there's boatloads of history to be filled-in there. I asssume the early Gur migrations were caused themselves by the migration of the Taan-Lung (Tuigan) into the Hordelands around -8,900 DR.

I have some hombrew history regarding why the Tuigan first came west, but thats another region entirely (two, actually), and doesn't really bear on the Raumathar that were driven east from their ancient tribal lands around Yal Tengri and the Plain of Horses.

Ergo all Gur/Raumathari derivations are stocky, dark-features people, unlike the the indegenous peoples of Faerūn, like the Dathites (Chondathan/Jaamdathan/Talfiric) and Illuskans, who are much fairer. Think 'Conan', not Norseman, and you've got it pretty close.

Also, there's already a pretty good article on the Nar hosted here at CK already - you may want to check that out first. I personally always try to make my own homebrew stuff shoe-horn into whatever other scribes have done before, rather then contridict past CK contributers.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Nov 2008 03:29:11
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  06:15:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone is waiting for this to be available for download, fret not. It is actually finished, just going through some editing and re-organizing so that it is a "better" book.

Should be soon...

I hope...

EDIT: Well...I'll be moving on to finish this, was waiting on something; but I need to get it done before finals get here and I'm too swamped to finish up.

I'll be finalizing the PDF in a day or two and handing it over to the Masters here at CK to post if they wish.

Sorry for the waiting...

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 20 Nov 2008 19:26:49
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  09:09:26  Show Profile  Visit Mouse's Homepage Send Mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This stuff is brilliant. My DM needed a "savage woman pirate" NPC pseudo-antagonist to introduce into our campaign, and I just dropped him a line on to this thread and he snatched up he ideas. Keep up the good work guys! There's lots of unused parts of Faerun that totally need more love!

"Barbarians are more polite then civilized men, for civilized men know they may be rude to another without having their skulls cleaved open as a general thing."
-Conan
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  14:49:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... the Realms could have gone on indefinately with all the nooks and crannies that needed filling...

Le sigh.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  18:14:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very true...

And I SWEAR this thing is pretty much done...I just keep finding something else I want to "change just a little...just so it is the best it can be" sort of thing.

That is why it is good to have deadlines...but since I have nobody to MAKE me finish it...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  19:15:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, of all people, understand completely. I never finish anything, because I'm afraid I'll come up with something better tomorrow.

Which I usually do, but then the whole cycle repeats...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000